Author Topic: What do people think of Orcad ?  (Read 6884 times)

Offline trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What do people think of Orcad ?
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »
What do people, who have used Orcad think about the package? Am considering Orcad Standard addition but have never used it and it will take quite a bit of time to work through videos and using a trial version to assess it. Would be great to get some opinion before deciding whether to invest time in it.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
Re: What do people think of Orcad ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:10 pm »
Are you thinking about this deal: https://slickdeals.net/f/10447344-orcad-capture-schematic-layout-printed-circuit-board-software-430-permanent-license?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

?

Well, I had to use orcad 15.7 (The first version with the new allegro layout) some time ago. It is a piece of great software but making libraries is quite complicated. I found Altium more convenient to use, especially when you don't have any component engineers around.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:35:00 pm »
Here in the UK there seems to be a similar deal. It is not as cheap but I was curious to know if it's a good tool to use whilst such an offer is in place. I have actually already invested in Circuit Studio and it gets the job done for me but it was a painful learning curve. I am not sure if I really do have the time to try another cad package.

But whilst their is an opportunity with such a deal I am wondering if its a worth while investment.

Library creation is the most time consuming part of cad work. I quite like the CS interface for creation of parts.

Trev

Offline GreggD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »
I love Orcad for schematic. All my customers use it for schematic. I know of no one that uses it for pcb, they do use Pads or Allegro. It has been a standard since about 1985. Dos schematics can be imported if the old dos libs and config file are there.

It does have some minor problems if you fuss with pin number placement in the symbol editor. This can cause the pin number to show up at the wrong place. It could use shortcut keys like N for highlight selected net instead of right click & pick from list.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:54:38 pm by GreggD »

Offline BigBoss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:07 pm »
I have purchased OrCAD Standard last year and it's definitely great. I used PADS PowerPCB and Mentor Graphics years ago but this is pretty productive.
Even creating a library is a bit time consuming but routing,copper pouring,manufacturing features are nice.Constraint manager is also good.
I will hopefully upgrade to Professional. 

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 06:40:18 pm »
I love Orcad for schematic. All my customers use it for schematic. I know of no one that uses it for pcb, they do use Pads or Allegro.

Allegro is the Orcad PCB layout package. They used to have a package called PCB Layout but that was terrible and was replaced with Allegro years ago.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:42:11 am »
I love Orcad for schematic. All my customers use it for schematic. I know of no one that uses it for pcb, they do use Pads or Allegro.
Allegro is the Orcad PCB layout package. They used to have a package called PCB Layout but that was terrible and was replaced with Allegro years ago.
Do you like Allegro? I have been using Orcad PCB Layout for over a decade and it works pretty well for me (despite some issues) so I'm hesitating to jump to Allegro.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:03 am »
There may be some confusion here. There used to be a specific OrCAD layout package, but that's long since been discontinued.

The tool now sold as "OrCAD PCB Designer" is Allegro. Or at least, it's the exact same executable, but with a restricted set of features controlled by a licence file.

For what it's worth:

- I've been using OrCAD for schematic capture getting on for nearly 20 years. It's evolved remarkably little in that time, but then again, it really didn't need to. It ticks the "just works" box for me.

- The layout package isn't modern or friendly. To get into it, you'll first need to accept, on a deep and fundamental level, that you are going to use it, and that you will be able to learn and adapt much quicker than it will ever change. If your way of thinking is often along the lines of "this is wrong, it should be designed so that <whatever>", then you're not going to get on.

- Once you've learned it, which will take time and effort, then you're set for the rest of your career.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:10 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Orcad PCB is based on Allegro with a restricted feature set. I am still trying to find out how restricted the feature set is and how good a package it is.

Not really getting many people turn around and say its the best thing out there.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 11:59:11 am »
PCB Designer Standard is a relatively affordable, stable, unquestionably professional-grade, and (in terms of design size) unrestricted tool.

I'm not sure I could say the same about any alternatives.

I looked seriously at PADS, but it was twice the price and came with restrictions on net list size, which I wasn't prepared to accept. I've never used Altium, so can't comment on it.

Offline vealmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
I use Orcad schematic capture for the dayjob. It is not as powerful as Concept (Allegro Design Entry HDL), I miss the command line. But it is a solid, basic package.
Allegro PCB is quirky, difficult to learn and utterly excellent once you get the hang of it. A skilled PCB guy can be very productive with it.

To give you some context, I'm a schematic capture guy, principal engineer. I have 17+ years on Concept, 3 years on Orcad, 1 year Mentor. I use Allegro PCB intermittently, mainly to check layout, debug nets, create reworks, check constraints etc.
I'd call Concept a pro editor. Orcad is basic.
Things like Eagle and KiCAD are mickey mouse in comparison (don't get me wrong, I like KiCAD it is free and it is usable.)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
I spoke with the UK support company and they directed me to their website with a matrix of features for each version.

http://www.parallel-systems.co.uk/matrix/

Impressive that there is a video for each feature. Support sounded good from the company.

3D interaction looks good on it.

Offline vealmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 12:34:54 pm »
Support is good. Cadence training in Bracknell is given by the guys who deal with support, they know their stuff.

If you're working professionally, experience has taught me to stay off a new major release until there have been a couple of minor revs or hotfixes.
Orcad is pretty stable, hasn't changed a great deal for years, but a few times with Concept / Allegro I've been caught by updating, running into a bug and not being able to downlevel or continue working. Early adopter syndrome! :)

For the sake of full disclosure, I used to sit on the Customer Steering Committee for CDNLive! San Jose when it was a user run conference. I was not and have never been a Cadence employee.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
+1 for Parallel Systems, their support has been excellent.

The following users thanked this post: chris_leyson

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 02:31:22 pm »
Been using Orcad 16.6 for the past 5 years only because all of the companys legacy designs were done with Orcad and to be honest there isn't a great deal of difference between Cadence Allegro and Orcad. For the most part the PCB layout package is fairly intuative however setting up constraints can be hard work sometimes. Mapping 3D step files to footprints isn't always easy so access to a 3D cad package is helpful so you can edit the step file origin to match the footprint. Version 17.2 cannot down rev designs to earlier versions so I haven't really used it much, it would have left a colleague using 16.6 effectively locked out.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »
How do people find library support? Is it easy enough to create library parts? Does it come with quite a lot?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 06:16:10 pm »
I've never used Altium, so can't comment on it.
I have used Altium but that isn't very intuitive to use. I have made two real PCB designs with it but I needed the book (beginners guide) on my lap to get going because nothing is where you'd expect it. I don't think I ever used a piece of software for which I needed the manual to do basic stuff excep Altium.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
Support is good. Cadence training in Bracknell is given by the guys who deal with support, they know their stuff.

Parallel Systems will do onsite training if the number of trainees warrants it.  I have always found them a very responsive company - indeed I have had answers to questions within 15 mins.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 07:52:56 pm »
How do people find library support? Is it easy enough to create library parts? Does it come with quite a lot?

I always create my own library components.

It may not be the fastest possible way to create a design, but doing it myself forces me to read the data sheet carefully, and to become aware of the function of every single pin on a device at this early stage.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 08:32:36 pm »
I've been playing with trial version for about a week, and I was positively impressed with it! I especially like integrated signal integrity simulator which will make routing high-speed traces much easier.
Their support is also nothing short of outstanding - FE responded to all my questions within 1 hr after I've emailed them. Like all CAD packages I've ever used, it's got its' share of idiosyncrasies - the most annoying of which for me is different approach to navigation in Capture and PCB Editor, but I can live with that.
However standard edition does not contain trace matching groups, which is critical for me as just about any of my projects contain some kind of high-speed parallel bus. After discussing this with sales, they  took into account the fact that I'm a hobbyist and won't be making any money off that purchase, and were able to come up with the great offer for Pro edition for me. I will be evaluating the Professional edition for the next couple of week just to make sure that it's the right product for me (even though I've got a massive discount, it's still pretty big money to spend on a hobby!), but so far I like it a lot!

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 04:33:44 am »
Care to elaborate on what kind of a deal pricing USD/CAD you were able to get on pro as a hobbyist?  That would be interesting to me for exactly the same reasons as it was for you.
Please check your PM.
For the sake of accuracy - Standard level license does include support for differential pairs (both in layout and SI simulations), so my only real complaint for it is the lack of trace matching. Also Pro version has support for region-based DRCs - very useful feature for hobbyists who can't afford to order PCBs with custom stackups, and are forced to work with thatever "standard" stackups are offered by cheap Chinese fabs like PCBWay. BTW PRO tip - if you want to get a reasonable approximation on 50 Ohm impedance from them on 4 layer board, order 1.2 mm thick boards - they use 0.8 mm core and thin 0.13 mm prepreg, which allows to have quite narrow traces (0.225 mm) with 50 Ohm impedance. I have recently posted here my board made by them which have two 166 MHz DDR (333 MHz effective) x8 parallel buses that work fine despite me not explicitly ordering CI to save money.
Also it's worth mentioning that Circuit Studio doesn't have trace length matching as well, and it is in the same price ballpark as Orcad Standard package offering which is discussed here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:10:02 am by asmi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf