Author Topic: Where to get library symbols/footprints for P-CAD?  (Read 4270 times)

Offline splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where to get library symbols/footprints for P-CAD?
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »
Are there any good ways to get footprints, symbols etc. for up to date components such as recent STM32 microcontrollers for example?

Are there 'standard' formats for library symbols etc. that can be converted and imported into P-CAD or other formats? Alternatively are there any format convertors that can convert from popular formats such as ORCAD, EAGLE etc?

As a newcomer to PCB design I had naively assumed that component manufacturers would make these available in at least one, if not most of the most popular formats but it seems not to be the case.

Are there any sites where libraries are shared? I tried www.snapeda.com but couldn't get it to work for anything other than Eagle format and in any case it doesn't directly support P-CAD.

Thanks,
   Tony

Offline splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where to get library symbols/footprints for P-CAD?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »
Ok, I guess the lack of responses reflects that not many here use P-CAD, presumably because it hasn't been supported for a number of years. But what do users of other packages do about symbols and footprints? Do most of you routinely create your own?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »
PCAD is dead and buried. why do you want to use a dead tool ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:25 pm »
PCAD is dead and buried. why do you want to use a dead tool ?
Because it still does the job perfectly well. Ain't broke - doesn't need fixing.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
As a newcomer to PCB design I had naively assumed that component manufacturers would make these available in at least one, if not most of the most popular formats but it seems not to be the case.
Part of PCB design is creating your own symbols and footprints. Even after 20 years I still need to make at least one new symbol and footprint for every design I create.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf