Author Topic: eevBLAB #24 - PCB Wars Altium Circuit Studio vs Autodesk Eagle  (Read 26315 times)

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: eevBLAB #24 - PCB Wars Altium Circuit Studio vs Autodesk Eagle
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:58 am »
You don't need to wait for a mac os Altium, just install VMware Fusion 8.5 Pro, and  you will have both words to work on

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 04:19:21 am »
You don't need to wait for a mac os Altium, just install VMware Fusion 8.5 Pro, and  you will have both words to work on

I have a windows 7 VM via parallels but running high resource apps in a VM isnt desirable in my experience.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 10:54:47 am »
So I got really fed up with Eagle, it's just complete crap to use .... anyway I finally installed Boot Camp and WIn7 on my Mac and tried a few different Windows PCB design tools.

I finally settled on DipTrace, it's fantastic, very intuitive to use and logical. It's auto-router isnt as good as Eagles but I like manual routing anyway and so far my designs are pretty simple. 

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:15 am »
why not use the diptrace version of mac in the first place?
also, if you really want you can use different autorouters

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:25 am »

Well I'm clearly an Idiot, I completely missed that there was a macOS version  :palm:

I actually installed windows to test Circuit Maker first but still ...  :palm:

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 10:53:29 am »

Lol, I just tried DipTrace for macOS .... it's the windows version running in wine!  :-DD

But hey it works pretty well all things considered. :-+

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 04:17:26 am »
I personally really enjoy DipTrace, the guys making it have been really pushing hard behind the scenes to add a lot of the more pro-level features that it was missing and needing. It seems like more and more people are getting happy with it (who especially weren't in the version 2.x days). I always found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. EAGLE drove me up the wall. I have designed several boards in it, a few for my old work in particular. I found it super easy to design custom parts which weren't in the library.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:22:34 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 04:53:52 am »
I personally really enjoy DipTrace, the guys making it have been really pushing hard behind the scenes to add a lot of the more pro-level features that it was missing and needing. It seems like more and more people are getting happy with it (who especially weren't in the version 2.x days). I always found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. EAGLE drove me up the wall. I have designed several boards in it, a few for my old work in particular. I found it super easy to design custom parts which weren't in the library.

Agreed, making and customising components in DipTrace is so easy, I'm very happy with it.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »
I'll look at it closer, trouble is that there's no simulator. We find it important.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 12:20:11 pm »
maybe he find that it's a PITA to draw the schematic multiple times (i more or less agree)? diptrace has a netlist export function for spice simulation and you can add spice directives (?) to components in the schematic, though i never tried those function

Lol, I just tried DipTrace for macOS .... it's the windows version running in wine!
at least THEY do it :D there are companies that don't bother in the first place..
and while we're at it i'd much rather have wined windows versions of kicad or inkscape instead of the abortion that are the OSX builds.

if you go to the diptrace forum there has been talk of a native OSX version for ages, but it requires a complete writeup (diptrace is written in delphi)
actually there isn't much to complain about it, since when 3d visualization was fixed. using them in multiple desktops arrangements and gestures are bugged, but that's probably wine's fault.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:26:59 pm by JPortici »

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:29 pm »
I'll look at it closer, trouble is that there's no simulator. We find it important.

Is there any reason not to use LTSpice or whatever SPICE you want, instead of using the PCB tool's integrated crappy simulation tool?

Have you ever used the advanced simulator in Proteus? It's one of the best I've used and integrating it with the schematic is seamless. You don't have to redraw the schematic, the parts are already in the library too.
It's the 21st century all EDAs should have simulation!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:36 pm »
maybe he find that it's a PITA to draw the schematic multiple times (i more or less agree)? diptrace has a netlist export function for spice simulation and you can add spice directives (?) to components in the schematic, though i never tried those function

Lol, I just tried DipTrace for macOS .... it's the windows version running in wine!
at least THEY do it :D there are companies that don't bother in the first place..
and while we're at it i'd much rather have wined windows versions of kicad or inkscape instead of the abortion that are the OSX builds.

if you go to the diptrace forum there has been talk of a native OSX version for ages, but it requires a complete writeup (diptrace is written in delphi)
actually there isn't much to complain about it, since when 3d visualization was fixed. using them in multiple desktops arrangements and gestures are bugged, but that's probably wine's fault.

Oh it's a very very minor complaint, overall I'm very happy with DipTrace, it's great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf