Author Topic: EEVBlog2: Peter Popoff Religious Mailbag Scam  (Read 11529 times)

Offline daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
EEVBlog2: Peter Popoff Religious Mailbag Scam
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:32:28 pm »
I noticed this in my subscriptions:

Pretty amusing rant :D

I'd advise seeing the full video that was a reaction to this kind of crap:

It's pretty hilarious.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: yuzuha

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
Re: EEVBlog2: Peter Popoff Religious Mailbag Scam
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:13 pm »
That was amazing!  I ended up checking out ourladyofperpetualexemption.com too

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:33:23 pm »
Mailing done by a bulk mailer, using a second set of mail assemblers "Work from home, earn $$$ for only a few minutes a day", who spend the entire day simply collating the printed mailers and stuffing envelopes. Paid around 3c per filled envelope. Then the filled envelopes are sent using a bulk mailer, so the actual price paid for postage is likely less than the franked amount.

As to the personalisation, you will find the non black text is preprinted, with a lot of the boilerplate print as well, only the sections with a personalised part will be laser printed. Then the full sheet of paper is split on the perforations ( so you can print the entire thing in a large commercial laser, likely using a continuous sheet of prepunched and roll printed paper) and stuffed into the envelopes.

The return address is the local associate who gets the mail, and then fills in the results for the second round of mailing. Then they will do it again with a more directed approach so as to get a small donation out of you ( then a larger one of course, gotta pay for the drop office and the local guys) to pay for this operation.

As to how they got your address, it was done with a web crawler looking for physical addresses off websites and social media.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 07:07:14 pm »
Those USA Postmarks are just as legit as the personalised handwriting within. Surprised you would be fooled by that, Dave. No way would Popoff blow all that filthy lucre on genuine mailings when he can just pop off loads of mail using the local postal services bulk junk mail options. (Sadly Royal Mail in the UK is doing this shit now it is privatised).

Co-incidentally I was amazed to see the huckster alive and well on my dear old mums TV just last night. She likes to watch The Horror Channel and was complaining to me about this rubbish that was on instead of the usual gore and slasher flicks she loves to watch at bedtime. Sure enough, a true horror was on with what seemed an hour long infomercial, Peter Popoff himself!

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »
Video 1: Weirdest mailbag ever

Video 2: You should really register eevblog as a church

;D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »
As to how they got your address, it was done with a web crawler looking for physical addresses off websites and social media.

Actually no, I phoned up during the infomercial and gave Daves address  :-DD

What a minute... The infomercial was last night! How did Popoff know in advance that I was going to recommend Dave?  :scared: Maybe he is omniscient after all? Or can at least time travel?   :-//

That's it. I bet he has enough money for a Delorean. He got my call last night, set the date back a few weeks and mailed Dave personally. I knew it. Randi is the fraud, not Popoff!  :-DD

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:58 pm »
There is an Irish charlatan called Tony Quinn who is much more on Dave's wavelength.  He has been on the go in one form or another for the last 40 years.  He does not peddle religion, but instead focuses on health and fitness, roughly following the Scientology system.  His most devoted followers run his chain of gyms and health food shops etc.  The type which sell protein products, AKA Industrial waste by-products from breweries.  But if you don't have the money for one of his franchises you visit him for a seminar on his Caribbean Island for 20K.  You can read what he has to say for himself here: http://www.tonyquinn.com/ and the Irish cult tracking website has a large section dedicated to him: https://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/archive/tony-quinn-educo/

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »
Love the style of all that blue ink, etc.  Really good design.   :-+

(And I want my own fleeces...!)

Edit: You can sign up for your own Peter Popoff crap on this page:

http://peterpopoff.org/prayer-request-form/

:popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:52:22 pm by Fungus »

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »
I'm not sure why... My wife doesn't enjoy your normal blog videos, but she did enjoy this one.  :-+
Gone for good

Offline philh

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »
I think this video sums it all up :-DD

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:12:12 am »
Those USA Postmarks are just as legit as the personalised handwriting within. Surprised you would be fooled by that, Dave.

So you are saying he's faking the postmark from Pitney Bowes?
Got any evidence he didn't pay $2.13 to post it?
Pitney Bowes is exactly the mass mailing you'd use to do a bulk mailing like this, and if it is them (i.e not fake) then it's a safe bet that postmark is genuine and likely what it cost him.

No way would Popoff blow all that filthy lucre on genuine mailings when he can just pop off loads of mail using the local postal services bulk junk mail options. (Sadly Royal Mail in the UK is doing this shit now it is privatised).

No evidence at all it was posted locally. All evidence to the contrary.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:13:52 am by EEVblog »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:29:57 pm »
So you are saying he's faking the postmark from Pitney Bowes?
Got any evidence he didn't pay $2.13 to post it?
Pitney Bowes is exactly the mass mailing you'd use to do a bulk mailing like this, and if it is them (i.e not fake) then it's a safe bet that postmark is genuine and likely what it cost him.

I owe you an apology Dave. I'm so used to crap junkmail with fake postmarks and the same personalised contents that I just assumed the postmark was fake pretending to be USPS.

I've only ever associated Pitney Bowes with scams like ebays GSP. It turns out they actually have genuine international postage franking, something I naively thought was for the "proper" post offices like United States Postal Service (not UPS).

The frank would appear to be type M9 from https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/International_Postage_Meter_Stamp_Catalog/United_States_of_America,_Part_2

Well I've learned something new!

Also, I really don't think Popoff would risk all that money on purely random mass mailing fishing expeditions. Clearly you are on one of the "premium" mailing lists these scammers sell to each other as additional income streams. The ones that herbalist, homeopathic, religious, voodoo, or astrological peddlers will sell on.

Worse yet are those that have scammed an OAP out of their life savings, but notice they still have the old family home that is up for grabs... I bet they sell those addresses on to the likes of Popoff for a very pretty penny.

(I never listed you on Popoffs list by the way - I did that with the Audiophool directory instead  :-DD )

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:53:11 pm »
I think this video sums it all up :-DD
Indeed, but the original and best was a piss take of "Most Haunted" with (my local) charlatan Derek Acorah, and the ex Blue Peter BBC childrens show presenter Yvette Fielding. This is from the early days of youtube.

Most Farted

That really used to get proper ROFL belly laughs back in the day!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 12:48:57 am »
Wow, they occupy two floors in Darling Park?! Rent there is far from cheap! They must have many suckers.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf