Author Topic: EEVblog #764 - New Lab Ceiling LED Lighting Installation  (Read 20093 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #764 - New Lab Ceiling LED Lighting Installation
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 11:35:45 pm »
I was thinking that as well. Dave, when you rented the place was the drop ceiling in place or did you put it in?

I do not rent it, I own it.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 07:42:46 am »
Tou and the bank..... The drop ceiling is a standard office feature, put in to hide services like the upper floor water piping and sewage lines, the cabling for the fire detectors and the AC ducting for air handling. In units designated as light industrial or light commercial a dropped ceiling will probably be absent, with a higher roof height ( typically 4m or more as opposed to 3m for office space) with all services exposed on the roof and the lighting surface mounted. There if you have an office area you typically will make it out of either demountable panels, drywall or shutterply ( the cheap option) with a suspended ceiling on top, with the top open and with the cabling, ducting and such lying on top of it.

If you want a more substantial indoor office area you make it from concrete blocks or bricks, though this is then considered a permanent structure inside the unit and if you leave you cannot take it with you, while the demountable can be removed to the new premises.

Where I work we have a mix of demountable partitioning ( came with the building mostly, and got moved around a bit as circumstances changed usage), drywall ( the system we got is obsolete, so we used drywall as cheaper than getting the matching replacement system which is eye wateringly expensive) or for some areas we built brick and block walls for more strength. Just busy patching some areas, where our trainee cleaner put the floor polisher through a glass panel. The other panel was replaced with shutterply as it will never get a hole in it again from that, plus the sheets of ply were cheaper than the drywall sheet and easier to handle as I could get them cut to size by the mill.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 10:14:20 am »
You have to remember that my requirements are different to your average person.
Average person have no idea that those LED panels have quite narrow beam angle mainly perpedicular to it surface (not 180 DEG) even when mounted on roof and it has to be since they used hundreds of SMD leds in flat thin package ;)

Anyway, I'd rather use wireless control, but each of those LED panels in independent way-I mean I'd like to have them all dimmable between 0%-100% but with separate RF receiver (or smart driver with one receiver multiplexing all pannels), to be able create light beams depending on situation, so I'd rather use smart (programabe)custom controler like this I'm working on now in my home automation wireless RF concept   :popcorn:

Classic mains wall switch with removed useless wires connectors and added custom PCB with MPU and RF transmiter module to be able control wireless switching of different devices in a preprogrammed way (eg. based on how hard it was pressed using Hall effect sensor inside, etc), so it can for example adjust light in the room based on ambient light present from outside window based on photodiode input inside room and try to keep lighting conditions in the room (or choosen place) at the same level regardles of external light condition, eg, night comming...or shadows made by artificial light...
Endless posibilities and among other safe light switching without any dangereous 230VAC grid main present on wall socket  8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:20:23 am by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline NoItAint

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:02 am »
This is a great video.  :clap: Comparing the beginning to the end I see a lot more details in the background.  My eyes tend to wander around and look at everything.  The picture seems more 3d also.  :-+ 

A lot of good advise is given that I don't have to learn for myself!  I never knew these panels existed before.  I've seen the LED fluorescent tube type lights, but I've been holding off buying any as they're more of a retrofit.  These panels have have got be better even light.  And the pricing is amazing.

Searching around I also see RGB panels exist.  That might be handy for my home hobby shop where wood projects, finishing, and painting sometimes happen.  It'd be handy to adjust colors sometime to match the  lighting of the place the project will end up living in.

And I could go Submarine red, with sonar pings in the background for those times when a project lets out some smoke. ;D

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 12:35:45 am »
That's not a hermaphrodite. This is a hermaphrodite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_connector
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 12:50:45 am »
Interesting that the PSU doesn't appear to have a mains filter cap.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 01:08:09 am »
Tou and the bank.....

Nope, it's all mine, I have the deeds. The bank owns my house though.

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 06:00:26 pm »
At work we have a bit of a problem competing with these cheap edge lit panels from china. It's perfectly possible to get more lumens for less power you just have to use a bit more of the ceiling recess that is going to waste anyway.

However most customers like things slim (regardless of the fact they can't appreciate it in most applications) and the price is very good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf