Author Topic: Can design rules from Altium or Eagle (Eurocircuits) be imported in gEDA pcb?  (Read 10456 times)

Offline VinzCTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
Hi all.

I'm (still) using gEDA on personal and professional ground and have my PCB fabricated by Eurocircuits.com. So far I like how I manage with both but I'd like to make Eurocircuit rules the default for gEDA. Currently Eurocircuits publishes rules for Altium or Eagle. Needless to say I have neither and I run GNU/Linux (Mint on my laptop and Gentoo at home, for the record).

So my question is: is there a way to import Altium or Eagle design rules into gEDA PCB?

(I'm also considering switching to Kicad but it is not on topic right now.)

Thanks in advance for any hint or suggestion.

Offline ScribblesOnNapkins

• Regular Contributor
Look at the documentation on vendor file. It includes the design limits in the DRC area.

http://pcb.geda-project.org/pcb-cvs/pcb.html#Vendor-drill-mapping

The following users thanked this post: VinzC

• Regular Contributor
Look at the documentation on vendor file. It includes the design limits in the DRC area.

http://pcb.geda-project.org/pcb-cvs/pcb.html#Vendor-drill-mapping

Thanks a lot, ScribblesOnNapkins! Can't believe after how long I sought I never came across this article  ??? . That also answers my question with a "No but..." and given how little there is to do, "manually" is a perfectly valid option.

• Regular Contributor
If you have documentation for vendor files for the other packages that we can legally use to write a conversion utility then I will gladly work on it.

• Regular Contributor
If you have documentation for vendor files for the other packages that we can legally use to write a conversion utility then I will gladly work on it.

I'm not sure I follow you, do you have something specific in mind?

• Regular Contributor
Typically when we can find a way to automatically do something we write a utility to do it. Sadly to do that you need open documentation from the vendor about where in the configuration/project files the info we need is stored and how to decode it.

• Regular Contributor
Typically when we can find a way to automatically do something we write a utility to do it. Sadly to do that you need open documentation from the vendor about where in the configuration/project files the info we need is stored and how to decode it.
Ah, ok, get it now. I happen to do that, too, writing those things by hand in a repetitive manner gets somewhat boring indeed. Better have it handed to a script, that's true.

• Regular Contributor
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I forgot to mention this when it happened.

We (pcb-rnd) can import design rules from Eagle. We can't from Altium ( yet ;) )

The following users thanked this post: VinzC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf