Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2187609 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2010, 12:06:30 pm »
[...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:49:55 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Frank Q.

« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2010, 12:09:24 pm »
It's 2.06.2 (101028.0)
I think this is the last one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »
It's 2.06.2 (101028.0)
I think this is the last one.

did you already updated or it was pre-loaded?

I saw similar issues if DSO was not re-selfcalibrated after fw update.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Frank Q.

« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »
I didn't made any update, so this is the pre-loaded (original) version.
Before I make any changes I will find out if this scope could make me happy at last :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »
I didn't made any update, so this is the pre-loaded (original) version.
Before I make any changes I will find out if this scope could make me happy at last :)

nice, because there is no official Tekway 2.06.2 fw available, so maybe the distributor did updated for you.
If you don't mind, made a fw backup with this tool :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg26877#msg26877

Just download, unzip and copy to usb stick the *.up file, plug into the DSO USB port
and run as "firmware update" - it will not farm or change anything on your DSO, it will only dump the
firmware during update process (so just wait 5 mins or so).

Frank Q.

« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2010, 01:17:47 pm »
I did it. Inside root.bin there are several places showing 2.06.2.
How should I continue?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »
Frank,

check PM for instructions.

Offline PsI-On

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:10 am »
Can anyone tell me how to change the language, all i can see is Mandarin Chinese  :-[

I updated the firmware and now have english  ;D Chinese version seems to only have Mandarin!

Thanks

-P

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:39:09 am by PsI-On »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »
Santa was here :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »
Awesome!  He made it safely through Chinese airspace ...

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline sliverstorm

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:39 am »
What do you think the odds are we can get LA software running on these things? Do you know how the input from the probes is passed to dso.exe? (fancy memory access, "Everything is a File" /dev instance, ...?)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:52 pm »

What do you think the odds are we can get LA software running on these things?

for a logic analyzer we need two things:
- the data
- the UI

The UI app need to be of course developed first. It can be controlled over two ways:
-via touch screen (so everybody have to buy a touch screen and connect to ARM)
-via front panel keys

As the keys are controlled over FPGA we need to know how it works (is on my to do list).
Maybe we can use current FPGA design to capture fron panel events and to forward to ARM, but maybe
it need to be a new design.

The more important question is where the LA data will be coming from. There are some possibilities:
- over ch1/ch2 (make no really sense to build LA with two ports)
- over the FPGA pins currently connected to ADCs (there is no header, so soldering necessary ... i think bad idea)
- over the FPGA with new design and some pins (still bad idea)
(side note: the FPGA is interconnected with CPLD which we can't change and to SRAM. Sure the SRAM could be nice
to store LA data, but there are too many "If" to do it without source code and detailed schematics ....)

- over any other available port.
This seems to be the best option, so in principle a small external/internal addon board need to capture the data and to send
it to ARM. There are some open source designs (sump, minila, seedstudio and so on), they can be changed to
do whatever we need.

The S3C2440 ARM is fast enough for DSO UI, so it would be fast enough for LA. The captured data can also provided
over:

- front panel USB port
- ARM UART1
- ARM I/O port (which have 16bit data, 4 address, nOE, nWE, nWAIT, GPIO select 3, nBE1, ext int9, reset signals and 3.3V/GND)

From a usability point of view front panel USB could be the easiest one (plug external LA, push for example F6 for 5sec.
and dso.exe will be killed and own LA ui started...). Over UART1 could be a bit slow and we have to make modification to the
enclosure (probably on the back side). The I/O port is nice, but same as for UART1 enclosure modifications necessary.
I would personaly plug into i/o port a Ethernet addon board (like originaly supposed to be used for).

For Tekway users (like me) modifications to the enclosure are necessary, for Hantek users it is a bit easier. On the front panel
there is a sticker (right over USB port). If you remove it you will see two holes:
- for USB
- for printer/RS232 - DSUB25 (just push the word "waveform" on the sicker and you will feel it)
So in principle Hantek users will  have to remove this sticker, mount a DSUB25 socket and connect external LA over this port
(which can be then connected to UART1 or I/O port).

The external LA could have own memory and sample logic, but it could be a simple (but slower) thing - just a piece of buffers controlled over
nWE/nOE/nGCS3/eInt9 and capturing 16bit data directly to ARM.

So as you can see we have may options and still many open questions. I will continue the hardware reversing, maybe it would be never
used for logic analyzer, but i think it could be helpful to have schematics in case the DSO dies some day.
I don't really count on warranty, probably every distributor know that ppl are playing with firmware, Hantek/Tekway know it anyway.

Do you know how the input from the probes is passed to dso.exe? (fancy memory access, "Everything is a File" /dev instance, ...?)

no, not exactly. There are two device drivers dso-iobank.ko and dso-fpga.ko, they seems to be used to access CPLD and FPGA,
but how exactly the data flow works no idea yet. But feel free take care over this task.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »
all those santas... do you intend to sell it here? interesting.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »
all those santas... do you intend to sell it here? interesting.

no i don't. It was collective order for some ppl who asked for.

Offline xxbsd

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2011, 12:41:19 am »

- ARM I/O port (which have 16bit data, 4 address, nOE, nWE, nWAIT, GPIO select 3, nBE1, ext int9, reset signals and 3.3V/GND)

Hello tinman,

have you been able to find out the exact io port assignment?
I've already tried to find out myself and I found similar signals. But there are still ambiguities with some pins.
I'm afraid it's nearly impossible to clarify them without unsoldering the cpu.

Thanks a lot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2011, 01:05:15 am »

Hello tinman,

have you been able to find out the exact io port assignment?
I've already tried to find out myself and I found similar signals. But there are still ambiguities with some pins.

Thanks a lot

sure, see attached picture.

The DATA0->DATA15 are the ARM D12 -> B15 pins (check the S3C2440 manual).
The RESET signal, there is reset circuit generating it, so it is routed to i/o expansion port and over 2G04 to JTAG/ARM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2011, 01:12:49 am »

btw, i did it, so now we know all used/unused pins.
Unfortunately i have still to work from time to time, so reversing is going slow...

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:28 am »
This is nice, can't wait to buy one! :) I hope SDK will be released ASAP.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2011, 11:43:29 am »
You unsoldered that CPU?! Amazing  :o.

Tinhead, you are the Tekway/Hantek hack god for sure.

btw, i did it, so now we know all used/unused pins.
Unfortunately i have still to work from time to time, so reversing is going slow...
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2011, 12:45:49 am »
Hm, there was no strong "OK!" answer for the Tekway DST1062B mod. I have an offer to buy DST1062B or DST1102B. Is it really the same inside through the whole 1062->1102->1202 series is the same hardware? So no point to buy 100MHz scope to mod it to 200MHz? I would save then about 150USD and buy 60MHz one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2011, 01:12:32 am »
probably you haven't read my postings carefully. All these models are 99.999% the same inside.
There are some more or less cosmetic differences (for higher freq. response):
- 4 resistor arrays in input stage
- 8 resistors in input stage
but in principle you can live with that (or solder new 0.1% resistors and ran self-calibration)

Everything else remains the same.

Afaik Tekways are still hackable via USB (firmware update), the new stock Hantek's not anylonger*
For Hantek you will have to connect via UART0, kill the dso.exe (by ctrl+c + enter)
and modify manually model name (see my first post).

*new stock models firmware is checking current DSO model name with the model name in the firmware (on USB stick).
Of course there is still a way to create a firmware which will lie about model name and hack the DSO, but
honestly i'm too lazy (too busy) to create it. As we can still hack over JTAG or/and UART0 i don't see a need
to spend time on this.

I think everybody should be able to buy TTL UART-> USB adapter (ebay for "cp2102 usb ttl"),
so no issue at all. There are two CP2102 TTL USB adapter models (on ebay), one with GND/RXD/TXD/5V/RST
and one with 5V/GND/RXD/TXD/RST (talking about adapter header pinout).
Just be sure you checked the connections before you connect the adapter to DSO, if you do it wrong - like
i did (5V on DSO GND and GND on DSO RXD) you will kill the ARM µC RXD port, which isn't funny if
you have no IR Rework equipment and spare ARM µC at lab/home.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:25:34 am by tinhead »

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2011, 07:24:36 am »
Thanks for clearing my mind! I think I am taking that DST1062B :)

Regarding logic analyzer question:
Even two channel logic analyzer would be cool, because it could successfully decode 1-wire, RS232, RS485, I2C protocols. Or even if it would be possible to connect SCK signal to ext trigger channel and two channels to MOSI/MISO, it would be a perfect SPI decoder. I can't wait for the SDK!

A bit offtopic, but regarding the ARM processor:
Where do You buy them? There is a project with S3C2440 uC and farnell/digikey/etc has no such processors on stock.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:34 am »
A bit offtopic, but regarding the ARM processor:
Where do You buy them? There is a project with S3C2440 uC and farnell/digikey/etc has no such processors on stock.

in my local drug store :)

go to

http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/quote.php?action=search&pn=S3C2440AL-40

select S3C2440AL-40 and create RFQ

Offline pgup62

• Contributor
    • Elec3i Instrumentation et automatisme
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:46 am »
Hello Guys,
We are Hantek 'a agent in France and we can deliver many DSO5102B as our stock is large enough.
Please visit our website: http://elec3i.com
Hope to deal with you soon. ;)

Best regards,
Pascal

The following users thanked this post: chinoy

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:58 am »
@pgup62:
1) delete your duplicate (1st) post.
2) sell gossen metrahit or energy dmm.
3) do you talk malay? multilingual ehh?
4) how much dhl/ems shipping cost to malaysia?
Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:10:52 am by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf