Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3408748 times)

carrascoso and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline linuxguru

Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:16 pm »

yes, the more costly ones do come with m328 and backlight as mentioned in the listings for those. unfortunately low cost units like mine ($10 bo, $15 bin) cut corners in both categories. ... i should also mention that the yellow/green backlight appears much brighter than the blue ones. at least to my eyes.

The units with the M328, yellow/green backlight, and ZIF socket can be found at $20..$25, Buy-It-Now. They also have more capable firmware, including DF/Vloss measurement of capacitors, Depletion-Mode JFET measurements, etc.

The stock units with yellow backlight run the backlight and the red LED at very high currents - I changed two resistors on the board to cut the current by a factor of 10 or 20, and it's still bright enough for normal daytime use. Battery life improves enormously after this mod.

Edit: IIRC, I changed R9 and R14 to 10k to reduce the current drawn by the backlight and the red LED. Pic of modified unit shown (with the LCD panel detached to show the board). The two capacitors have been left untouched - mine came with Rubycon YXA at both locations.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:40:59 am by linuxguru »

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »
Just bought this:

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #302 on: February 22, 2014, 12:03:10 am »
Just bought this:
Could you have made a more smaller useless picture?

What is it? I would love to see, but... pixels...

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #303 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:33 am »
Just bought this:
Could you have made a more smaller useless picture?

What is it? I would love to see, but... pixels...

Let me dig a bigger one from the store.  My toy has not arrived.  The pitches of  3 bottom connector are just nice for the bigger MOSFET.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2014, 01:23:49 am »
Looks like its this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/271367349891

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #305 on: February 22, 2014, 01:53:38 am »
Looks like its this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/271367349891

Yes, same item.  I found some more interesting stuff from this store.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #306 on: February 22, 2014, 05:25:19 am »
I was looking at that same one yesterday: Rechargeable Battery, test Zeners with up to 50V but why use the 168 and not the 328?
I don't think the shorting cap relay is implemented. It would be nice to see the PCB. What is the meaning of that 9V battery next to the unit?
Please post pictures once you get it.
Nice case :)

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #307 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
The units with the M328, yellow/green backlight, and ZIF socket can be found at $20..$25, Buy-It-Now. They also have more capable firmware, including DF/Vloss measurement of capacitors, Depletion-Mode JFET measurements, etc.

Don't worry about the firmware! Get the latest and greatest at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software ;-)
I commend to buy only clones with ATmega328 since new features and most improvements require >16kB flash. If you got an older/cheaper one with an ATmega168 it makes sense to replace it with an ATmega328.

Offline obd.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #308 on: February 22, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »
i'm new to this gadget and forum https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif, is the newest firmware 1.09? i looked at the link above and got a little confused :-)
whats the 'Programm fuer Optionen WITH_SELFTEST und AUTO_CAL ueberarbeitet' all about?
Thanks
p.s. how do you put a smiley in the post text?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:59:00 pm by obd.tech »

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #309 on: February 22, 2014, 08:02:24 pm »
i'm new to this gadget and forum is the newest firmware 1.09? i looked at the link above and got a little confused :-)
whats the 'Programm fuer Optionen WITH_SELFTEST und AUTO_CAL ueberarbeitet' all about?

The latest version (1.10k) is always in "trunk" and my alternative firmware (1.10m) in "markus". To download the directory click "Download GNU tarball".

p.s. how do you put a smiley in the post text?

This way: :) Just above the editor window you should see all emoticons. Click the one you like to add and it will be added at the cursor's position.

Offline obd.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2014, 12:41:55 am »
 Thanks for your help , i look forward to playing with my new toy and the things i hope to test & fix with the help and knowledge from this forum . Keep up the good work guy's https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

mmm......smileys don't work for me.....i clicked but nothing.....i can only drag one down.....then it comes out wrong :-(
What am i doing wrong?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2014, 01:18:59 am »

It has to be a custom modification to support that LCD and include the extra symbols. Unfortunately the vendor doesn't seem to care about the project's Open Source Hardware nature.

FWIW, this appears to be the people who "developed" the large repurposed LCD version, fish8840 on Taobao.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.35.QG5YBf&id=36323329572
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:14 am »
I was looking at that same one yesterday: Rechargeable Battery, test Zeners with up to 50V but why use the 168 and not the 328?
I don't think the shorting cap relay is implemented. It would be nice to see the PCB. What is the meaning of that 9V battery next to the unit?
Please post pictures once you get it.
Nice case :)

Fresh, not yet power up.  It is 328 uC.  But on the Taobao Chinese site, they said that it could range from 168 to 328.  As I mentioned on another post, those selling on ebay are normally trader and they could be carrying the old version.

Offline Jerby

« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »
I build this tester and it works great. But it would be nice to have it on a PCB. Does anyone know if there are PCB's available, or batches to come?

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2014, 05:45:39 pm »
It's ~$20 on eBay.
Is your time worth that little?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline moemoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2014, 06:08:24 pm »
I build this tester and it works great. But it would be nice to have it on a PCB. Does anyone know if there are PCB's available, or batches to come?

I created one (SMD), can be ordered eg via oshpark. https://github.com/maugsburger/avr-component-tester
https://github.com/maugsburger/
Breadboard Adapters featured in EEVBlog #573 on Tindie

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #316 on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:47 pm »
Got the one from post #277, seems to do what it says on the tin, backlight display&all, micro on DIP socket. "not on" current really low like 0.02 microamps (but that's my last digit on my multimeter so don't trust it much except as ... really low). I don't think backlight will be much of a problem to the battery as it shuts down itself rather quickly (but still not annoyingly quick).

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #317 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »
have the same one and made the following changes:

- two SMD 47nF caps added to AVCC, DVCC to gnd (on the pins). Original cap removed
  - MC1403 2.5V reference added to pin27 (happened to have that one in the parts bin)
  - ic socket replaced with a good one
  - latest sw version

to do
 - change measurement resistors to 0.1% types (680/470k).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:40:14 pm by guido »

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:57 am »
Did not manage to break the ZIF socket yet (I don't think is particularly bad, probably it might break if you put something thicker and you try to close it but works.

On what I can double check it seems to get 2 significant digits (note: that's not the same as 1%!), all in all quite satisfied.
I think it wouldn't be hard to include some marginal input protection and the requiered analog stage to make it measure something like 0-100V at least and maybe one shunt just to have everything completed as a small multimeter (it can be made much compact if needed, mine is all through hole).

I would really use such a toy, sometimes you just need a multimeter but is not critical enough and is not ofthen enough and I can't justify the weight of a full unit (even a small one). I got to a point where I was checking batteries with a bus pirate (which I had with me because I needed now and then for the serial capabilities). This has everything it needs, including a display!

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »
On what I can double check it seems to get 2 significant digits (note: that's not the same as 1%!), all in all quite satisfied.
I think it wouldn't be hard to include some marginal input protection and the requiered analog stage to make it measure something like 0-100V at least and maybe one shunt just to have everything completed as a small multimeter (it can be made much compact if needed, mine is all through hole).

That's something we should consider for a future Tester+. The nice thing about the current design is that it is very simple and easy to build. The other important point is the firmware compatibility. The k-version supports several modifications meanwhile and it's quite hard to check all variations for each code change. Supporting several different hardware versions makes the firmware development much more complicated.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:02 pm »
The new m-version 1.11m is released (http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/). What's new?
- several minor improvements
- BJTs with base emitter resistor
- BJTs with freewheeling diode on the same substrate
- detection of (un)symmetrical drain and source for depletion mode FETs
- detection of body diode for depletion mode FETs
- improved pinout detection for Triacs (G, MT1 & MT2)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »
Got mine this week, and it is good enough to use for checking semiconductors, mid range capacitors and resistors. Going to keep it in my tool box for general quick testing.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2014, 03:41:18 pm »
Just bought one of these, (hope i picked correctly)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200960094152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's one of the standard clones with an ATmega328. Might need an ISP header for firmware updates.

Will probably upgrade the firmware every now and then, any advantage in adding the ISP header versus taking the micro out (is on a socket)?

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #323 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »
Will probably upgrade the firmware every now and then, any advantage in adding the ISP header versus taking the micro out (is on a socket)?

Less mechanical stress. Choose whatever suits you better.

Offline eevbstedt

• Contributor
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »
Does anyone know where an English version of the 'changelog.txt' file located here?
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/tags/

Just picked up a newer version of the tester off ebay and am looking for firmware options.  I've attached a copy of the file for easier access.

Update:
I put the file through Google Translate and came up with this (I've cleaned it up a little).  Can you take a peek and give feedback?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:36:22 pm by eevbstedt »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf