Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 503525 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #325 on: July 04, 2016, 07:44:49 pm »
To put this into context I could have banned you months ago for racist posts.
you can say what you like about me but be careful, this in reference to your racist posts in the past.
I never posted something racist, stop accusing me just because you don't agree with what I think about population explosion.

So new policy as a moderator: you cross the line just once and your out! That way I get less greif from trouble makers!
You are right, as long as "the line" is previously defined in the forum rules, not something that is thrown up on-purpose.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:49:11 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #326 on: July 04, 2016, 07:49:54 pm »
Well don't worry as i said I will keep a full record of every post I remove then we can stop these petty arguments.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #327 on: July 04, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
Well don't worry as i said I will keep a full record of every post I remove then we can stop these petty arguments.
Please send my post you see as racist, in this tread or PM, like you wish.
You have to understand I don't like to be falsely accused of that, like I assume you don't like to be falsely accused of being a pedophile.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2016, 07:58:45 pm »
I don't have the time to dig it out assuming it is still around (it was quite some time ago). Lets just call it quits or are you on some crusade ? If you really had a problem all you had to do was contact Dave and let him rule instead of making a public fuss or are you just seeking attention?

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #329 on: July 04, 2016, 08:04:12 pm »
- Lets just call it quits...
that started good, good idea.

...or are you on some crusade ?
unnecessary end, makes it sound ugly.

... or are you just seeking attention?
pfff, that guy is a mess.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #330 on: July 04, 2016, 08:27:41 pm »

Can I put in my two cents.

Can different "rules" apply to different types of posts ?

Brexit was by nature a political post.  Brexit had elements of racisim in it.  I can hear it on public radio in the US.   

I made some sort of comment (I think I said black friday was coming) so I got to see the Brexit Unread Post everyday much to my sorrow.

What I suggest is that if there is "more crap" in a political post, give them more slack.  If in an electronics related post, warn and/or ban them.

In my case, I just learned to "ignore" the Brexit posts.  So what I suggest to the moderators, when a complaint comes in on a political topic, post instructions on how to ignore the post and ignore the posts by setting your ignore button.

Maybe less people will get upset if they know how to ignore the post (not easy to find out how).

So how about relax rules for non-electronic posts ?  (now that I have learned how to ignore them  :-DD :-DD :-DD )

ps  In the past, I have enjoyed some of the heated posts.  I think this forum has a higher standard of flaming posts.   :-DD

thanks for your understanding

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #331 on: July 04, 2016, 09:07:54 pm »
Political topics which in theory are not allowed do get given a bit more understanding but of course that can get abused. We know that things will get a bit heated in a political discussion but providing they don't get personal which is where all this started it's not a problem.

There has in fact only been one or 2 reports for the brexit topic. But there does come a point where things get out of hand and people start to think they can say what they like and I'm afraid there are limits even in a political debate.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #332 on: July 04, 2016, 10:00:22 pm »
Political topics which in theory are not allowed do get given a bit more understanding but of course that can get abused. We know that things will get a bit heated in a political discussion but providing they don't get personal which is where all this started it's not a problem.

There has in fact only been one or 2 reports for the brexit topic. But there does come a point where things get out of hand and people start to think they can say what they like and I'm afraid there are limits even in a political debate.
Thanks for your consideration and help running this forum.   People need to remember that without moderators, there would be NO forum.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:45:48 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:27 am »
I really have no clue about why "General chat' is even necessary here. Let alone political discussions.
I thought this was a forum about electronics. For other other topics, there are already plenty of other forums available.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: July 05, 2016, 07:32:10 am »
I really have no clue about why "General chat' is even necessary here. Let alone political discussions.
I thought this was a forum about electronics. For other other topics, there are already plenty of other forums available.
You are right about other existing forums, but in this particular case, it's interesting to see how people with a work-related education with de-facto access to the private job market think about that "Brexit" phenomen.
This is surely very different from "lifestyle" forums or a Wallstreet/Londoncity traders forum.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #335 on: July 05, 2016, 08:12:39 am »

I suppose the simplest thing then would be to just not read the general chat section of the forum.  I rather enjoy this section, and there are a lot of fascinating topics here in my opinion.  They also tend, by and large, to be electronics (or at least technology) related, but perhaps things that are not an exact fit to any of the other sub forums.  It seems easy enough to not read what doesn't interest you.  And, as I think about it, almost all of the forums I belong to have a similar, more 'social' (for lack of a better term) section for members of the forum so simply chat about things or news that may not be directly forum related, but that may be of interest to people of similar persuasion.

-Pat
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:14:24 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:18 am »
Quite, I don't see all the complaining about "stuff i don't want to see". the forum is for everyone, just because you have no interest in that subject does not mean it should not be there.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #337 on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:27 pm »
I suppose the simplest thing then would be to just not read the general chat section of the forum. 

Majority of people use the "Show Unread Posts" option, which shows all new posts from every section.
There is also an Ignore Boards option:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoreboards;u=3
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:12:40 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:18 pm »
There is also an Ignore Boards option:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoreboards;u=3

You need to remove the u=3 (EEVblog user ID) from that link for it to work on your own account
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=ignoreboards

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2016, 12:42:37 pm »
I'd nominate the Brexit thread for locking.  I followed it for a while to see if anyone was going to post anything of interest and relevant for this forum, e.g. specific research or high-tech industries under threat due to Brexit.  Although some interesting points have been made it has zero electronics content and close to zero technology content, and clearly breeches rule 5. 

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #340 on: July 09, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »
I'd nominate the Brexit thread for locking.
This was the first one I "ignored".  Had to learn how to do it.

Edit - But I would NOT ask to lock it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:05:13 pm by ez24 »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #341 on: July 09, 2016, 05:51:00 pm »
I'd nominate the Brexit thread for locking.  I followed it for a while to see if anyone was going to post anything of interest and relevant for this forum, e.g. specific research or high-tech industries under threat due to Brexit.  Although some interesting points have been made it has zero electronics content and close to zero technology content, and clearly breeches rule 5. 

If you read the entirety of rule 5 it asks that things are kept on topic and warns users who come here solely to discuss politics and other controversial topics that they are not welcome. This is primarily an electronics forum but we do have a general chat section which is not meant for strictly electronic topics. The main objection to religious and political and conspiracy theory discussions is that they invariably get out of hand with a lot of mudslinging and it takes an awful lot of time and anguish sort things out. At the end of the day if you really don't like the damn thread don't read it as other rules say beings as you are so quick to quote them you have no right to be offended on this forum if you don't like it and is not directly insulting you then tough! I'm sure the EU exit thread is going around in circles in the same way in which the FTD I gate thread did and there was not a lot electronics discussion in that really it was more about morality ethics and the law and just repeated the same arguments over and over again every 10 to 20 pages until eventually everybody ran out of steam. The EU exit thread seem to be doing the same thing and believe it or not has received virtually no reports. In fact the vast majority of the reports about it have been from people who think they need to tell us that we need to close its or do other things with it. Nobody has offended anybody and people are being fairly civilised. If Dave wishes to close it then that is of course up to him it's his forum but it seems that some people here are trying to impose on others what they can and can't do despite the fact they have the 0 power. In fact the FTDI gate thread got more reports than the EU exit thread has.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2016, 06:03:59 pm »
It seems to me that if one is going to have a rule like rule 5, one needs to enforce it as even-handedly as possible, especially with a current US presidential election campaign in progress. 

Every US election campaign, USENET got flooded with political spam and off-topic 'debate' in violation of individual group charters.  Each time, knowledgeable regulars left for closely moderated fora and never returned. Most of USENET is  now a wasteland.

If the camel sticks its nose in the tent, the only sane response is to swat it not welcome the whole camel in.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:05:47 pm by Ian.M »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2016, 06:06:29 pm »
Well it's Dave's rules that are being broken not yours so I do not worry about it. As has been said throughout the rules are not harshly enforced as it is pointless being overly regimental. The whole point of the rules is to ensure we have something to fall back on to stop things getting out of control and that people know roughly where they stand.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2016, 06:24:36 pm »
In my case, I just learned to "ignore" the Brexit posts.  So what I suggest to the moderators, when a complaint comes in on a political topic, post instructions on how to ignore the post and ignore the posts by setting your ignore button.

Maybe less people will get upset if they know how to ignore the post (not easy to find out how).

How does one ignores topics?  I couldn't figure it out myself.

(for general knowledge, not for any current thread).

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: July 09, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-update-new-ignore-topics-feature/

Thanks Ian, but still no luck.

I don't see this "You'll find the button in the top right on the Unread Posts page."  here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unread

Also, cannot follow this path:  "Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout>Show quick-moderation as: Checkboxes".  The Profile button at the top doesn't have a Modify Profile sub button, just Summary, Account Setting, Forum Profile, and Mentions.

Am I missing something?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #347 on: July 09, 2016, 07:26:50 pm »
I don't see this "You'll find the button in the top right on the Unread Posts page."

You see this after you set it up

"Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout>Show quick-moderation as: Checkboxes". 

Profile has two reactions, click and hover.  Click on it (you hovered on it)

Then above Summary you will see Modify Profile (hover on it)

then "Look ..."

And check the box for

"Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list."

I had the same problem - bad design to have two reactions on the same button - in my opinion

Then go back to the way you normally see messages and you should see additional options

Did this work for you?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #348 on: July 09, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »
Alternatively, go to your profile.  On that page, the [Modify Profile] button has a dropdown including 'Look and Layout'.   

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: July 09, 2016, 07:59:32 pm »
That checkbox was already checked in my profile:

But I don't see any new button to ignore topics:

What am I missing?

I think this justified a short EEVBlog2 video.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf