Author Topic: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review  (Read 1441676 times)

Offline crx991

• Contributor
Re: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review
« Reply #950 on: September 28, 2016, 10:03:13 am »
Upgrade to the 6.50 A version. And at this point as already stated, make a pcb photo. IIRC someone had this problem and was a missing Resistor...

The following users thanked this post: james101

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #951 on: September 28, 2016, 10:12:19 am »
Upgrade to the 6.50 A version. And at this point as already stated, make a pcb photo. IIRC someone had this problem and was a missing Resistor...
Where can one get 6.50A?

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #952 on: September 28, 2016, 10:19:36 am »
In the manufacturers web site HERE.

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #953 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:07 am »
In the manufacturers web site HERE.
Isn't that the same old V6.50 (not A)?

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #954 on: September 28, 2016, 11:57:20 am »
With "A" i was referring to the TL866 version, "CS" or "A". Sorry for misleading...

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #955 on: September 28, 2016, 01:01:54 pm »
I didn't even see the "A". Sorry.

Offline BrianG61UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #956 on: September 28, 2016, 01:03:54 pm »
I didn't even see the "A". Sorry.
No problem.
Sorry.

Offline james101

• Contributor
« Reply #957 on: September 29, 2016, 01:39:11 am »

im going to open the unit up and take some photos and post them later on

possible there could be the missing Resistor stoping it from working

thank all  :-+

Offline james101

• Contributor
« Reply #958 on: September 30, 2016, 08:03:58 am »
ok so i recheck the connection and they look correct im thinking maybe they close the hack with a different version

enclose is a photo of the pcb which will also help people to fix there own if it ever blows parts

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #959 on: September 30, 2016, 10:18:51 am »
Board seems ok,
Hmmm, first check if there is an open resistor connected with the protection diodes...
I don't have the tl866 at hand now, but the radiomanV reversed schematic can also be handy.

A user also reported that solved his issues with icsp checking the pullup resistor on the MCU MCLR pin, i don't know if it's the case, but it should be the R2 10k  \$\Omega\$ resistor...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:25:13 am by crx991 »

Offline james101

• Contributor
« Reply #960 on: September 30, 2016, 10:42:54 pm »
i have check R2 and its is 10k the correct one fitted

looks like possible its a total revision of the board to close the hack from working
that all i can think of as im the only one with this problem.

unless its a copied programmer not the real deal

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #961 on: October 01, 2016, 02:15:53 pm »
Hi,
I don't think it's a clone, and even if it was that i don't see why the icsp shouldn't work...

You can do another test.
Look at image, http://oi65.tinypic.com/acsvn4.jpg and connect the TL866 ZIF socket pin to the corresponding icsp pin of the microPIC.
Don't forget the ground, you can use the pin 3 on the ICSP socket you have built.
After that, read your pic using the icsp feature...
I've tested on my tl866a and it worked, so i'm NOT responsabile for eventual damages on your device, pc or house!

RESUMED:
TL866 ZIF pin  --- Microchip ICSP
        1   ----------    MCLR\VPP
        2   ----------    VCC\VDD
        3   ----------       PGD
        7   ----------      PGC

I REPEAT, BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:56:31 pm by crx991 »

Offline james101

• Contributor
« Reply #962 on: October 02, 2016, 11:24:36 pm »

hello already done that and its correct data on there.

already converted to use zif socket

and it still does not read the checksum or data on the program.

do you get a checksum or data on your programmer can i ask how old is your unit.

possible its a corrupt icsp in the unit

thank you so much  for your   information

the unit i got is a version 2012

i think the company have done  a dirty tricks  already made  a patch on the software to close this hack
this is why it not working for us

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #963 on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:33 pm »
I have two versions, one made on 2012 and another made in 2014, and they works with ICSP without any problem...

If it don't work even with ZIF socket, maybe a software bug with this type of MCU?

Offline sv2hqx

• Contributor
« Reply #964 on: October 03, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »

hello already done
i checked al traces from iscp to zif
connections are same on both
so check you solderpoint again
or connection to mcu

Offline james101

• Contributor
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2016, 10:56:11 pm »
it works 100% with the zif socket i can read any chips no problem

it does not read then  when its in circuit

all connection checked maybe its a firmware update to close the hack

Offline sv2hqx

• Contributor
« Reply #966 on: October 04, 2016, 07:54:25 am »
it works 100% with the zif socket i can read any chips no problem

it does not read then  when its in circuit

all connection checked maybe its a firmware update to close the hack

did you try to check with a continue tester(beeber) iscp and zif as crx991 described ?

Offline radioman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #967 on: October 04, 2016, 10:42:51 am »
@james101 as i stated clearly in the PM there's no "firmware update to close the hack"! please stop thinking about this; is counterproductive.

As a matter of fact the so called "hack" is not a hack in the true sense, it is a simple method to (re)program the TL866 with the firmware of your choice, even with a custom one, which normally the minipro software does not allow this kind of operation.
The minipro software check the programmer type and update it with A firmware for A device and CS firmware for CS device.
My firmware updater can do more than this, it can update the CS with A firmware and viceversa.
Also for those who bricked their devices it can generate a new firmware, which in fact is nothing more than an new serial code, there's no firmware modification or patch or something else, the firmware running in the device is original, vanilla as is provided by the Autoelectric.

If you used my firmware updater then you have seen that there's a field to browse for a file called "update.dat"; for what do you think i need that file? well that file contains the two versions of the firmware in an encrypted format, which my utility decrypt and send it to the programmer at the user choice.

So please stop thinking about "hacks" and "firmware updates to close hacks" there's nothing about this because simply there's no hack to detect.

Regarding your doubt about your device all i can say is that YOUR DEVICE IS GENUINE, there are counterfeited units on the market, and the autoelectric company discovered this and beginning with minipro version 6.50 introduced a routine to detect these units because all these units were loaded with the same serial code.
I have reatached a picture with an counterfeited unit which is clearly a clone. Look closer at that pcb and compare it with any picture of the original pcb (2012/2013/2014 pcb versions) you should see big differences (tip: look at the ground plane first).
Thanks @Mikek400 for the picture.

Now how this counterfeit detection works?
well when you upgrade the firmware (at the minipro request) then that routine is invoked and if the device is found to be counterfeited then that device is deliberately bricked by overwriting the bootloader.
Normally a sane developer/programmer will implement such kind of detection by comparing the device serial code with the bad pirated one and if these two are the same then you can deliberately brick that device.

But no! the developer which implemented the detection routine in V6.50 is sucking big time (because i seen in the dissasembled code what he did! and can't believed my eyes what i have seen); he used the crc32 of the serial code and compared this crc with the crc of the bad counterfeited serial code. Basically instead of comparing two strings he compare two numbers which are crc of a two strings. He never heard about crc collisions? he use crc32 algorithm as an "unique ID" and this sucks! why? because with the minipro V6.50 many good people with genuine devices have bricked their devices! if those people had a lucky serial code to collide with that crappy crc32 detection algorithm then bam! instead of an normal firmware upgrade they got an big brick!
but fortunately there's my firmware generator who helped to repair their devices.

And because i know that the minipro developer is reading this thread: MAN YOU SUCK! of course i informed him about this bug and of course he did not responded me. So beware when a new version is out! who knows what a big surprise we have, use my firmware updater to update the firmware, is more safe.
Also i have updated my firmware updater to not generate a new firmware to collide with that buggy detection algorithm and also it will tell you if you have a lucky serial number. Use any download link here in this thread to download the new version.

Now on the ICSP not working because "there is a patch to stop my device to work with icsp because radioman hacked my firmware" >:D well, all i can say is that you are in the wrong side of the problem!
There are many variables in this issue.
I believe you, you have checked and rechecked the connections and are all ok.
But i don't understand why you use that enable button software? if you have the A version then it should be available!
Also in the PM you said that device ID is readed only when you put your chip in the ZIF socket but not when you read it over ICSP! well this must ring the bell! ding ding! there's no comunnication between the programmer and the target board! and this issue must throw an error with wrong device ID in the minipro software!
You have disabled the check device ID option?
Also tell us more about target board, all i know is that you have an PIC16F877A and that's all! if its not secret can we have see the schematic diagram of your target board?
Can you put an oscilloscope/logic analyzer to the icsp signals? or even an multimeter to check if you have some activity on these lines!
Also if you have another pic programmer you can try it.

And when all posibilities are checked then we can move on the programmer side.

@crx the R2 has nothing to do with his problem, that resistor is used as pull-up for the PIC18f87j50 MCLR line, don't have any rolle here.

And btw, welcome me, it's been a while since i posted here.

The following users thanked this post: elgonzo, edavid, Macbeth, Zucca, TheSteve, bitseeker, Chris56000, denimdragon, kd6aaj

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2016, 01:47:36 pm »
Just got one of these on Amazon from Signstek, it worked with an ATMega328P but I have a couple of questions / factoids

1. It didn't play well with my powered USB 3.0 hub but, after I moved it to a direct-to-motherboard USB 3.0 connection, it worked with no issues.
2. MY OS is Windows 10 - 64 bit Pro, it seems to run just fine.
3. I downloaded the latest firmware from the manufacturers website but the miniprohelp.chm file that is now installed is in Chinese, I looked at the .chm file on the mini-CD that came in the box and that too is in Chinese, any idea where I can get an English version?
4. The fuse bit settings for the ATMega328P show boxes alongside the words 'CKSELn=0' where n is the bit number like this

[ ] CKSEL3=0

So if that box is checked, does that mean that CKSEL3 will be a zero? Or is it the other way around?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: biff

Offline radioman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2016, 02:20:57 pm »
4. The fuse bit settings for the ATMega328P show boxes alongside the words 'CKSELn=0' where n is the bit number like this

[ ] CKSEL3=0

So if that box is checked, does that mean that CKSEL3 will be a zero? Or is it the other way around?
Checked=0 this feature is programmed
Uncheched =1 this feature is not programmed
That "=0" will tell you what happens when you check that option (ie will become 0)
Regarding to english .chm i think it was posted here in this thread but i may be wrong.

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2016, 03:44:12 pm »
Hey @radioman what a pleasure to see you here, thank you for all the effort for the project :)
About the TL866 programmer, hardware is ok but the program is full of bugs and the support it's non existent.
I've found several bugs and reported them, no answer or stupid donkey statement...
An example? Looking the 29LV010 algorithm, seems that with some values at addres 0x002, 0x004 and so on the program fails to write the .bin code, but if I select the 29EE010 chip algorithm and I ignore the "check ID" option the TL866 will write perfectly the file.
Seems that the problem is with the low voltage algorithm side only. Always same useless response like check the correct chip orientation etc, check the adapter...  :horse:
Or with some ATMEL, like attiny, seems have a bug on fuses settings...

It's a shame, because it's a really good programmer, but software side it's absolutely rubbish...

P.S.: I see on a russian (or ucraine) forum that some users request new chip support, and seems that the autoelectric dev sometimes accept the request  :-//

@Gandalf_Sr: If You want the english (useless XD) help file you can download HERE. It's directly from the official autoelectric download page.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:00:58 pm by crx991 »

Offline XantheFIN

• Contributor
« Reply #971 on: October 21, 2016, 11:35:20 pm »
Hello!

Have anyone been able unprotect protected Am29F010 Flash chip?

I am unable to do it and i can't now even read it as i protected it even more (first it had only SEC7 bit set as LOCK and i did try put SEC6 as a LOCK and it did yay!) ::)
Just that it shouldn't make it unable to read is my problem and weirdness

Anyone has thoughts or able to make a guide what to do?. I wish to read it again without erasing important data.

Everyone tells that 12V feeded to Address line. Does this programmer that and if it does why then not able read?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:39:45 am by XantheFIN »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2016, 05:04:54 am »
It is protected for a reason .... if your unlock it, it is supposed to erase the program content.

I tried with more powerful programmer and it did that, unlock it and you're done.

Reading this thread  i don't know why people still have high hope for this gimmick, i had one original TL866 in the past,  had many failures and frustrations, ditched it for good.

Would be nicer to reverse engineer the software to make it better, since the hardware is now known ...

Had a TNM5000, sold it for a Beeprog+,  but i bought back an TNM5000 again,  since their price as gone down, and added in their software what i was missing in chip support, they are supportive and welcoming a few ideas or changes/bugs  etc... 

The TNM5000 are the most friendly programmer around, cheap cost adapters ... unlike my Elnec,  but i mostly use the isp jtag outputs ...

Autoelecric is not.

Offline XantheFIN

• Contributor
« Reply #973 on: October 22, 2016, 01:25:25 pm »
It is protected for a reason .... if your unlock it, it is supposed to erase the program content.

I tried with more powerful programmer and it did that, unlock it and you're done.

Reading this thread  i don't know why people still have high hope for this gimmick, i had one original TL866 in the past,  had many failures and frustrations, ditched it for good.

Would be nicer to reverse engineer the software to make it better, since the hardware is now known ...

Had a TNM5000, sold it for a Beeprog+,  but i bought back an TNM5000 again,  since their price as gone down, and added in their software what i was missing in chip support, they are supportive and welcoming a few ideas or changes/bugs  etc... 

The TNM5000 are the most friendly programmer around, cheap cost adapters ... unlike my Elnec,  but i mostly use the isp jtag outputs ...

Autoelecric is not.
I thought this chip had only write/programming protection? Not read protection. Which comes up my question now that i did read it earlier and saved.. even though it had that one protection ON i should have full copy of that memory? So i changed protection now so it did erase it first?

For your question because cheap.  ;)

But i understand i bought Milwaukee drill and not cheap market unit one because i like buy good at once.  :palm: i fail now.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: October 22, 2016, 01:33:43 pm »
I had this kind of problems with atmega series, it had protection on some devices,  never been able to read them, but with an logic analyzer i did manage to read an serial HMI display panel who needed an "acknowledged and present atmega based i/o board",  if not there the HMI display would not work at all ???.

You have STC chips,  who have encryption once they are programmed you cant read them back ??? they copy designs, put an STC chip   bingo they are protected and unreadable, had a lot of them in Chinese and Japan boards ...

There was this project who could have lifted off and be helpful to all of us

http://www.cnblogs.com/shangdawei/p/4088191.html    Open Source Universal 48 pin programmer design   

The guy needed help to continue the project...  sad to see it  stalled.

Don't get me wrong,  the tl866 can be practical and not too expensive with its "official protected" adapters ... it depends of your needs. But people want too much of it ...

I had stk500, usbtiny, Willem GQ4x, Avr Dragon, Pickit 2 and Pickit 3, old Motorolla hc05 and hc11 programmers, Freescale programmers, and the list goes on and on ... but at some point it became clear, that i paid a lot to have incomplete software's or all kind of problems ...   

Now i have only 2 programmers who do almost everything i throw at them (Elnec Beeprog+ and TNM5000), and the software support is very good and updates are fast. 

Had waited a long time for a Willem GQ5x "Universal"  currently they have 2 versions of it and not the combined one i heard they would produce ??? Lot of people are wanting this one ???
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:00:44 pm by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf