Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3448373 times)

Obelix2007, Feliciano and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »
Does anyone know where an English version of the 'changelog.txt' file located here?

AFAIK Karl-Heinz doesn't provide an English version yet. The CHANGES file for the m-firmware is in English anyway ;-)

I put the file through Google Translate and came up with this (I've cleaned it up a little).  Can you take a peek and give feedback?  Thanks!

I think I'll suggest to Karl-Heinz to maintain an English version too.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »
Some news about current firmware changes. The trunk version of the k-firmware supports:
- in-circuit capacitance and ESR measurements
- frequency measurement (hardware option)
- squarewave signal generator
- PWM generator

The new m-firmware currently under development will include ESR and in-circuit ESR measurements.

Offline eevbstedt

• Contributor
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:31 pm »
Thanks for the info and update (as always)!

Did you have a chance to look over the translation?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2014, 09:58:31 pm »
Did you have a chance to look over the translation?

Yep. Please don't be disappointed, it still needs some work.

Offline eevbstedt

• Contributor
« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:42 pm »
Yep. Please don't be disappointed, it still needs some work.

On, not at all!  The only disappointment I have is in the lack of feedback.  Please feel free to offer suggestions/translations.  I'm looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:30:34 pm by eevbstedt »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
On, not at all!  The only disappointment I have is in the lack of feedback.  Please feel free to offer suggestions/translations.  I'm looking forward to it!

I'll send you a private mail.

Offline eevbstedt

• Contributor
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »
Got it, thanks!  I'll re-up a new version of the file once I have a chance to chew-over all your edits.  :)

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #332 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »
Some news about current firmware changes. The trunk version of the k-firmware supports:
- in-circuit capacitance and ESR measurements
- frequency measurement (hardware option)
- squarewave signal generator
- PWM generator

The new m-firmware currently under development will include ESR and in-circuit ESR measurements.

is there a hex file version available? english description of the freq counter anywhere?

nothing obvious at mikrocontroller.net site. i dont speak german and like many diy hobbyists not good with code suppositories.  i know links have been posted before but this thread is really big now and nothing in post #1 so if anyone has any handy it would save a half hour of searching. thanks.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:12 pm »
Source and some HEX files for common setups are available at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/ (click "Download GNU tarball"). Docs are at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ (just ttester.pdf , but unfortunately you have to download the whole directory).

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #334 on: April 01, 2014, 12:00:47 am »
thank you, i dont know why i have such trouble getting back to that link. its in my favorites but i have so many.... anyway i got "mega328" which i assume is most common. and this time i know what tarball is and that ee image is required. one question... i dont read german so what does "2uf-50mf" mean?

lol. just kidding! thanks again.

Offline quantumvolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #335 on: April 06, 2014, 05:37:55 am »
I have seen this project for a long time, but until recently it never occured to me to look closer at it. But a few weeks ago I bought one of the eBay-clones. It turns out to be an almost unbelievable good instrument considering its simplicity and low cost.

I have - for a long time - been buying many different lots of the Russian 0.5% capacitors from eBay. As an example:

One of the lots I bought is (now) 18 pieces 0.0333 uF +- 0.5% - that is 33.3 nF nominal value. First I sorted them with a 6.5 digit DMM measuring the AC voltage across them when in series with a precision low tempco resistor and exposed to a sinus signal. Then I grouped them (by the last digit xx.xY nF) by using a DMM with capacitance meter. They all fell in bins from 33.26 to 33.45. This is spread of a bit less than 0.6%. I picked out the median bin (the spread of values was like a very flat bell curve - so I guessed that the mean and median value would be quite equal).

I then tested the 3 capacitors with median value in the tester. They all read 33.38 nF (which is appr. +0.24% relative nominal value 33.30 nF). This is probably too high value for the 3 center units in a lot of 18 units with +-0.5% tolerance.

Then I tested parallel and series combinations (all measurements repeated several times) and got very surprised:

All 3 units measure 33.38 nF

3 combinations of 2 units in parallel: 66.76-77
1 combination of 3 units in parallel: 100.2

3 combinations of 2 units in series: 16.69
1 combination of 3 units in series: 11.12-13

3 combinations of 1unit in parallel with [2 units in series]: 50.07
3 combinations of 1 unit in series with [2 units in parallel]: 22.25

All measurements agrees to within one count on the last digit with the formulas for capacitor combinations (around 0.1% or better linearity). There is no detectable offset in this tester/meter since this would have been disclosed for pure parallel (and series) combinations. There probably is a small gain error around +0.25% (appr. 33.38 divided by 33.30) - assuming that the median bin in close to nominal value 0.0333 uF. I have no way to check this unless I send the capacitors to someone with a meter that is 0.1% or better.

I thought I should fix up the meter (reference / pull up for "Vcc= ...", regulator, precision resistors, decoupling, tin the 3 measurement port traces etc.), but I won't touch it until I get the second one I have ordered now. That way I will know if I have been lucky or if I am tricking myself (no way ...)

Anyway - I have checked some 50 capacitors and inductors with tolerance 1% or less, and just in a few cases has the reading been out of spec'ed error.

An amazingly good little gadget.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:25:01 am by quantumvolt »

Offline obd.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #336 on: April 07, 2014, 12:50:39 am »
Hi, newbies help please   ::)
How do i find out what firmware my new tool has (bought the one in the plastic case with the 328 chip) Is there a trick to finding a menu on the display for any different options? A simple new user guide would be good  :)
What are the recommended 'mods' apart from the resistor change to dim the lighting/power save?
keep up the good work  :clap: on this handy gadget (i just need to learn, how to use it now  :-\ )
Thanks to all  :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #337 on: April 07, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
How do i find out what firmware my new tool has (bought the one in the plastic case with the 328 chip) Is there a trick to finding a menu on the display for any different options? A simple new user guide would be good  :)
What are the recommended 'mods' apart from the resistor change to dim the lighting/power save?

Based on the firmware version the version is displayed when powering up, down, or in the selftest mode. The older k-versions don't have a menu at all, but the latest k-version offers a menu for some extras (long key press). Please download the documentation of the last release at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/tags/english/ (click "Download GNU tarball"). You'll find all mods in the documentation.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: April 07, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »
I downloaded that file now, and it's version 1.08k?, a file I downloaded somewhere in januar is version 1.10k?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: April 07, 2014, 02:37:53 pm »
I downloaded that file now, and it's version 1.08k?, a file I downloaded somewhere in januar is version 1.10k?

1.10k is the version currently under development (source at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/ und doc at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/).

BTW: 1.12m (m-firmware) was released a few days ago. New features are ESR and ESR-in-circuit.

Offline amtpdb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #340 on: April 08, 2014, 01:21:07 am »
Sorry But I am lost! Which one have all of you found is the best backlit one, and what do you have to do to make it  better? Is it set up to download the new file or do you just find the points and do it? Any videos of the process on this item.
Thanks for any help.
Don

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »
Sorry But I am lost! Which one have all of you found is the best backlit one, and what do you have to do to make it  better? Is it set up to download the new file or do you just find the points and do it? Any videos of the process on this item.

Of course it's the one I've built myself :-) It has got a PWM and a current limiter for the backlight (see the SVN for the schematic). Karl-Heinz' documentation has a section about the ebay clones, known hardware issues and how to fix them. Other possibilities for improvements are the hardware options like protection relay or high voltage Zener. The current method for updating firmware is ISP. So you will need an ISP programer (required anyway if you're playing with Atmel MCUs  ;-). BTW, you can use an Arduino as programer too. There aren't any how-to videos specificly for the TransistorTester, but if you search for "atmega ISP" you'll find tons of tutorials.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #342 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:46 pm »

1.10k is the version currently under development (source at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/ und doc at http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/).

BTW: 1.12m (m-firmware) was released a few days ago. New features are ESR and ESR-in-circuit.

Great work madires, and karl-heinz. I`m interested in the in-circuit testing ,can anyone recommend which one to buy.Will any with the 328 do .

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: April 08, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »
Great work madires, and karl-heinz. I`m interested in the in-circuit testing ,can anyone recommend which one to buy.Will any with the 328 do .

Thanks! Yes, any clone with an ATmega328 and a text based LCD will work fine.

Offline amtpdb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:40 am »
Thanks Madires for responding. I will look at ebay and see if I can figure out which one to buy.
Thanks again.
Don

Offline jackryan315

« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:13 am »
My first post and hello to all. I have all the parts needed to make this ttester and i have a couple of questions:
1. is this the correct fuses for atmega328-pu with external 8 mhz crystal ( hfuse 0xd9, efuse 0xfc, lfuse 0xf7) (lockbit- 0xfc)
2. there is an svn link for m328, can i use that?
3. im going to use avrdudess gui for avrdude, are there any issues with it, like it wont work or something.?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:32 am »
My first post and hello to all. I have all the parts needed to make this ttester and i have a couple of questions:
1. is this the correct fuses for atmega328-pu with external 8 mhz crystal ( hfuse 0xd9, efuse 0xfc, lfuse 0xf7) (lockbit- 0xfc)
Yes!

2. there is an svn link for m328, can i use that?
That's http://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328/ (click "Download GNU tarball"). The hex file is for the flash and the eep file for the EEPROM. If you add any hardware option please download the source code (trunk = current version under development), edit the Makefile and compile the firmware yourself.

3. im going to use avrdudess gui for avrdude, are there any issues with it, like it wont work or something.?
Haven't tried avrdudess myself but I assume that it will do the job.

Offline jackryan315

« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:03 am »
hey thanks madires for replying. im gonna try it out now. thanks again.

Offline jackryan315

« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2014, 11:39:11 am »
first thing first ok, im a newbie so please bear with me.

1. ive got an atmega328-pu with arduino bootloader.
2. im using avrdude with avrdudess as gui.

when i connected the chip with 8mhz crystal, avrdude cant' talk to the chip. but when i swapped it out with a 16mhz its recognized. i know that the bootloader is set with 16mhz, but how can i program it with 8 mhz as the code requires an 8 mhz crystal? any guidance is appreciated.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »
1. ive got an atmega328-pu with arduino bootloader.
2. im using avrdude with avrdudess as gui.

when i connected the chip with 8mhz crystal, avrdude cant' talk to the chip. but when i swapped it out with a 16mhz its recognized. i know that the bootloader is set with 16mhz, but how can i program it with 8 mhz as the code requires an 8 mhz crystal? any guidance is appreciated.

Have you connected the ATmega to your PC via a serial interface directly or are you using an ISP programmer?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf