Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781779 times)

SmokedComponent, OneGeekGuy and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #975 on: February 29, 2016, 09:09:58 pm »
I have a good soldering station just needed the hot air rework part.
Now I can solder two handed  ;D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #976 on: February 29, 2016, 09:25:54 pm »
Edward Solderinghands  8)

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #977 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:19 pm »
It seems an excellent unit. It must be perfect for someone like me who doesn't use the soldering iron a lot, but likes to make good soldering jobs. However you should always have a spare crappy one just in case that one fails right when you need it (damn Murphy!!!)
Soldering irons are like oscilloscopes, most of us have a collection of them.

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #978 on: February 29, 2016, 11:15:07 pm »
Tektronix 7854 service/instruction manual for 10 dollhairs.
453A service manual.
7A29 1Ghz amplifier plugin.
Buncha random hard to find components - mostly shockley and zener diodes.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #979 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:15 pm »
Asus RT-AC5300 - spider looking thing

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/

Way too much for my network here at the house/shop/garage, except that the shop/garage are 200ft+ from the house.
Still running off a classic blue Linksys G router, using another Linksys G router (both DDWRT flashed) as an extender/repeater, and another blue Linksys B router (bone stock firmware) as a hub.
Only got 25Mx2M DSL here, but now I can put the backup server in one place rather than hauling the external drives around to all the PC's one a week.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #980 on: March 01, 2016, 01:17:11 am »
It seems an excellent unit. It must be perfect for someone like me who doesn't use the soldering iron a lot, but likes to make good soldering jobs. However you should always have a spare crappy one just in case that one fails right when you need it (damn Murphy!!!)
Soldering irons are like oscilloscopes, most of us have a collection of them.

Now that might almost be worth a thread in and of itself.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #981 on: March 01, 2016, 01:20:34 am »
When I get it I will start a thread, Maybe a couple of weeks I am going on a road trip next week.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #982 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:55 am »
My latest purchase:

I still owe eevblog members a "tear it apart!!"....when time permit i will soon post some reviews and teardowns about this scope...mainly used for troubleshooting work..and partially for design work.. ^-^ ^-^

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #983 on: March 01, 2016, 02:52:05 am »
Wanted a Frequency Counter but both budget and space was limited so I went with this. Had mostly positive reviews on Amazon. My initial checkout is also positive.

If anyone is interested in a teardown let me know.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:15:50 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #984 on: March 01, 2016, 04:58:22 am »
Wanted a Frequency Counter but both budget and space was limited so I went with this. Had mostly positive reviews on Amazon. My initial checkout is also positive.

Supply your own external crystal?  They couldn't afford one? 
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #985 on: March 01, 2016, 05:25:04 am »
It's not really a purchase, since I got it for free, but today I got in the mail from Microchip the MPLAB Express Evaluation Board.   They had some deal when they launched the online MPLAB Express development system where the first X number of people would get a free board.  I hit the link and signed up and looked around a bit, but the response page I got led me to believe I was too late and wasn't getting one of the free boards.  But it showed up today.  Will have to try it out when I have time.

Last time I programmed a PIC it was, I think, a 16C54 in a ceramic package that had to be erased with a UV eeprom eraser.   :)

I think this one will be a bit more convenient.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #986 on: March 01, 2016, 06:20:47 am »

According to the manual that's for measuring the frequency of any crystals you have laying around.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #987 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:18 am »
Rode VideoMic and a deadcat

i hope Dave and Doug approve  :P

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #988 on: March 01, 2016, 08:31:37 am »
According to the manual that's for measuring the frequency of any crystals you have laying around.

OK.  That makes sense! :)  Assuming their crystal is better than mine.  I wonder what they use for a reference in a fairly inexpensive frequency counter.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #989 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:05 am »

OK.  That makes sense! :)  Assuming their crystal is better than mine.  I wonder what they use for a reference in a fairly inexpensive frequency counter.

Should I tear it down and post pictures as well as the published specs?  :-+

Offline julius oe.

• Contributor
« Reply #990 on: March 01, 2016, 12:19:38 pm »
u know.. just stuff.
(i love having a cheap hobby)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #991 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:23 pm »
 Bunch of model train kits. Have to balance the electronic purchases.... Damn West Coast US people, set all the auctions to end past midnight Eastern time, I'm old and need to be in bed before then. So I just stuffed in my top price and hoped for the best. 3 out of 6 when I checked this morning. I guess I did OK. The ones I didn't win aren't particular rare items or anything I can't find any time. One of the winners I was very surprised at, since I checked (like always) if it's still in production and what I can get it for at my favorite shops - eBay is NOT always a bargain! Sure enough, it's available for purchase new, almost $64USD. There were no other bidders, so I got it for the opening $19.99 plus $8 shipping. A steal. And they say model railroading is an expensive hobby....

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #992 on: March 01, 2016, 02:02:33 pm »
Bunch of model train kits. Have to balance the electronic purchases.... Damn West Coast US people, set all the auctions to end past midnight Eastern time, I'm old and need to be in bed before then. So I just stuffed in my top price and hoped for the best. 3 out of 6 when I checked this morning. I guess I did OK. The ones I didn't win aren't particular rare items or anything I can't find any time. One of the winners I was very surprised at, since I checked (like always) if it's still in production and what I can get it for at my favorite shops - eBay is NOT always a bargain! Sure enough, it's available for purchase new, almost $64USD. There were no other bidders, so I got it for the opening $19.99 plus $8 shipping. A steal. And they say model railroading is an expensive hobby....

You would think that would be a bad move; setting the auction to end at say 6:00 PM PST would be wise. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #993 on: March 01, 2016, 02:15:00 pm »

You would think that would be a bad move; setting the auction to end at say 6:00 PM PST would be wise. :)

You'd think, and that's the sort of thing I always do. And the seller is not a noob, he has over 1300 feedback.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #994 on: March 01, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »

(image removed)

I came close to buying one of those, several times, but the brand name put me off.  There are several other Chinese/Asian brand names nearly as bad, but that's just me I'm sure.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #995 on: March 01, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »
One recommendation I have to someone looking for a counter is that for a bit more you can get a SDG2042X which has a very decent counter built in.  They even added min/max/avg features to it per my request.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #996 on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:30 pm »
Working as a consultant for two projects, got my first double paycheck.... INSTANT INVESTMENT TIME!

• METCAL HCT-900-21 Hot Air Station
  • Long overdue fume extractor, el cheapo duratool (good vents here)
  • Magnifier with LED ring light (dipoter x3)
  • A few more tips for my soldering station

Lastly. I just realized with a huge  |O that I had bought a lot of stuff my last time around but I HAD FORGOT WIRE! So now I got myself a nice kit and a few flavors of tinned copper wire. No more raiding old stuff to get my hands on some wires :p Silly me.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #997 on: March 02, 2016, 09:25:18 am »
I'm converting an abandoned pnp machine prototype to a CNC machine. For this project, I received this week:
- A set of steel blocks, machined to 0.xx um accuracy (for calibration): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-100mm-Block-gauge-set-38pcs-set-1-Grade/521114897.html
- Cyclone dust collector http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cyclone-Dust-Collector-Bagless-Never-Plug-Low-Energy-Consumption-High-Efficiency-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/32298080759.html and a barrel for it (from a local store).
- Laser RPM meter http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Digital-Laser-Photo-Tachometer-Non-Contact-RPM-9852/640461991.html

Sometimes I'm amazed about the efficiency of the human race. The last item is a meter with a laser and an IC (or two, haven't looked inside): In other words, some parts are manufactured with nanometer tolerances; it is made of plastics (starting from black dirty stuff hundreds if not thousands feet below ground) and some metal (starting from the wall of a mountain). Still it got to me from China for less than 9€ and everyone involved in the process, mailman included, think the effort was worth the money!  :-+ for humans, also :-o.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:12:07 am by JuKu »
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #998 on: March 02, 2016, 09:28:43 am »
100 meters of coax for my satelite dish because the numb-nuts idiot that came to fix our drain pipe cut through both cables (2x 50m) while removing a section of pipe with an angle-grinder!  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #999 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:24 am »
Some Instrumentation amps INA121 and INA128
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf