Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2780475 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #1175 on: April 18, 2016, 07:10:08 pm »
Was very lucky today, my latest arrival from Fleabay was very lucky in that it was not amongst the lot stolen this morning when the PO was burgled again. 2 times in 2 weeks, and same MO in both cases.

Got my cheap "As seen on BigClive" RFID copier, and a dozen assorted tags to go with it. 2 AAA cells and it does work as well, just copied some tags I have around and they do work.

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1176 on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
How much did you spent on that copier? I'm planning to build one with an arduino for about 3 years |O

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1177 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »
Yihua 908B soldering pencil with fume extractor line to replace the original one that came with the station (also pictured). I got this new from an Australian company (of all places) for roughly $22 USD. I had planned to rig up some kind of home-made vac and filter system, then I saw this at my favorite local electronics recycler....

a Weller WFE-2P "Zero Smog" Fume Extractor. They had it listed at $50 and, as always, I negotiated and got it to CAD $20 (~$15 USD). Works perfectly. The filters look fine, and given the small amount I will use it, I don't even know if I will ever need to replace them. This unit retails at about $1000 USD and a new set of filters will run me about $60. Combined with the 908B iron, I can now solder with nearly zero fumes. I still do plan to make a DIY large area fume extractor.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1178 on: April 19, 2016, 04:02:38 am »
One of my favorite activities is shopping at local industrial surplus store and hunting for cheap surplus high quality caps as they become rare day by day since most of them are now invaded by those crappy Chinese brands.  :'(

This time is quite unique at least to me, as I spotted quite rare Nippon Chemi Con GXE series caps which is rated at 125C, and others ordinary low impedance like KY and KZH series.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1179 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
An old classic this one. Poorly titled win for £18 including postage on ebay.

Needs a bit of refurb and the caps changing due to the age but will be handy for a couple of discrete logic and transistor based projects I have lined up.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #1180 on: April 19, 2016, 03:25:49 pm »
PCB mount fuse holders and panel mount fuse holders.

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #1181 on: April 19, 2016, 03:47:33 pm »
I bought a Bachmann CONNECTUS for 8 euro.Unfortunately i tested when i got home,even when the switch is closed it is a contact between phase and neutral
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:21:39 pm by gameru »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1182 on: April 19, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »
How much did you spent on that copier? I'm planning to build one with an arduino for about 3 years |O

GBP11.76

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162003690964

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:14:58 pm by SeanB »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: April 19, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »
I finally unboxed the LED shop lights I bought from Home Depot that arrived last week. I'm pretty happy with them. They're only 3 feet long, not very heavy, and rated 3200 lumens at 42 watts. In reality the one fixture seemed considerably brighter than the two F40-T12 tubes in my kitchen ceiling light. The picture is pretty bad I know, but it was kind of hard to hold the light against the ceiling in one hand and the camera in the other while standing on a milk crate.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-3-ft-LED-Black-Shop-Light-54254141/206028863

I bought 2 for $30 each, so shipping was included, but sales tax added a bit more than $4

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #1184 on: April 19, 2016, 06:39:30 pm »
I bought a Bachmann CONNECTUS for 8 euro.Unfortunately i tested when i got home,even when the switch is closed it is a contact between phase and neutral

Contact closed = turn on
Contact open = turn off

I uploaded another photo.I don't think it is normal to be some connection bewteen phase and neutral
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:41:09 pm by gameru »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:46 pm »
I uploaded another photo.I don't think it is normal to be some connection bewteen phase and neutral
We can't see what your meter is measuring?  Ohms?  K Ohms?  uSiemens?  There is a convenient glare right where the display shows the units.
It seems likely that you are measuring residual leakage from whatever kind of silly "noise filter" or "surge protector" components that may be inside.

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:01 pm »
We can't see what your meter is measuring?  Ohms?  K Ohms?  uSiemens?  There is a convenient glare right where the display shows the units.
It seems likely that you are measuring residual leakage from whatever kind of silly "noise filter" or "surge protector" components that may be inside.

It is 135 K Ohms.
I open the socket strip to see what is inside.Because it has one way screws, had to drill holes in screw.
Then i saw the circuit and i understand how it works.I have soket strip from APC and Belkin and all show  OL when i try to measure resistance between phase and null

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1187 on: April 20, 2016, 11:04:18 am »
It is 135 K Ohms.
Do you understand now? There's a circuit there, to run LEDs, and it operates off the phase and neutral lines. Of course that's going to be measurable with your meter.

[/quote]I have soket strip from APC and Belkin and all show  OL when i try to measure resistance between phase and null
[/quote]
Because they are just wires, no electronics.

I don't know why you didn't just plug it into the wall socket initially. It either works or goes bang. In the 2nd case you get a warranty replacement. Now you've drilled out screws etc, even if it fails you have no chance of a replacement.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: April 20, 2016, 12:25:27 pm »
It is 135 K Ohms.
Do you understand now? There's a circuit there, to run LEDs, and it operates off the phase and neutral lines. Of course that's going to be measurable with your meter.

I have soket strip from APC and Belkin and all show  OL when i try to measure resistance between phase and null
[/quote]
Because they are just wires, no electronics.

I don't know why you didn't just plug it into the wall socket initially. It either works or goes bang. In the 2nd case you get a warranty replacement. Now you've drilled out screws etc, even if it fails you have no chance of a replacement.
[/quote]

Yes i understand the circuit.About warranty,i paid 8 euro because store went bankrupt (the warranty does not exist )

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1189 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:20 pm »
 Realize also, super simplifying, that at 240V, have 135K across it is about 1.8 milliamps. At 120V, it would be less than 1 ma. That's nothing.

One of the common ways to drive detection on model railroads so that you can determine if a track is occupied or not is to detect current flow through the rails. With more modern control systems where the voltage across the rails is constant, instead of the old variable sort of thing where the voltage controlled the speed, this is pretty easy. A powered unit (with a motor) or anything with lights, that's obvious, there is a load in place. But for freight cars - what do you do? The common option is to put a resistor across the wheels. Most circuits for detection can 'see' with a single 15K resistor, but for reliability (wheels and track get dirty, etc), a more common value is 4.7K per car. I put a 10K resistor on 2 axles of each of mine (most US railcars have at least 4 axles) so it's about 5K per car. Now multiply by several hundred such cars (on our club layout, I will never be able to have that many on my personal layout). Yes, it finally starts to become a somewhat significant value, but when each power supply can supply 5 amps, and you have 4 or 5 of these driving different sections, so only a fraction of the total number of cars is drawing from any given power supply, it's no big deal. With a nominal 4.7k resistance, and a typical voltage of 15V, worst case is about 3.2ma per car. However, less than ideal electrical connections between the wheels and the rails increases the effective resistance. Say somewhere closer to 10K, unless you scrub the wheels and track and press the car down hard. So now we're talking about 1.5ma per car. Even with more than 10x the voltage, this circuit in the power bar is drawing less current than a model train car fitted for detection.  You could stick an equivalent resistor in an outlet (don't do this.....) and it won't even get warm. On 240V, it's less than half a watt.

The following users thanked this post: gameru

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1190 on: April 21, 2016, 12:41:24 am »
Cool, I have one of those too. I got mine about 10 years ago. It came in what might have been the original box along with the manual and some other parts. Judging by the sticker on the outside, it was apparently property of AT&T at one time.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: April 21, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »
Those 545A's are pretty cool.  I found a manual for them online.  I am actually working on an 8 channel logic probe with the fast signal detection that the 545A has.  It will detect a pulse as quick as 35ns (and faster but not guaranteed) and report it as 10 Hz blinking like the 545A.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1192 on: April 21, 2016, 03:00:42 pm »
 There's an older thread here discussing the family, but mostly about the 547A current tracer. I also came across this publication from HP the discusses the design and use of each of the 3 tools - pretty neat. It even has bios of the lead engineer for each tool - including the ME who designed the cases for them.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1976-12.pdf

Fancy stuff. Back in the day, I had a cheapy Radio Shack logic probe.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1193 on: April 21, 2016, 07:43:29 pm »
I've got the HP 547A current tracer version here. I've only used it a few times but it can be useful when looking for shorts or tracing other current paths in a PCB.

How often do the lamps fail and need to be replaced? Mine hasn't failed yet but I do wonder what the lifetime is for the little internal lamp.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1194 on: April 21, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »
Just bought an old Leader precision fully analogue LCR bridge off ebay so I can do Q, inductance and ESR measurements as well as test incoming and extracted components.

Teardown will appear when it turns up if parcel force don't destroy it.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1195 on: April 22, 2016, 12:10:22 am »
Hoping that I can get my 7T11 working completely now that I have this:

Tr <= 25 ps, baby

Hmm.  My 7T11 definitely has problems.  I'm going to have to dig into the manual for it.  I was able to get some plausible X-Y action with a pair of both of my 7S11 plugins (one with a lesser sampling head), unfortunately that's not so interesting to me.

The 7T11 has a lot of exciting stuff, including a buttload of reed relays.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:54:25 am by mmagin »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #1196 on: April 22, 2016, 03:59:59 am »
This, I am sure is boring, but I can't find these longer headers with a centered stop on eBay.  So I got it from Pololu.  I am impressed with the really great little package they put it in.  So professional, all the way.

Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1197 on: April 22, 2016, 07:17:41 am »
I've got the HP 547A current tracer version here. I've only used it a few times but it can be useful when looking for shorts or tracing other current paths in a PCB.
How often do the lamps fail and need to be replaced? Mine hasn't failed yet but I do wonder what the lifetime is for the little internal lamp.

I doubt you need to worry too much about it, if it's survived since the 80s it's probably got a lot of life left still left in it. If you haven't seen it there is a thread I started a while back when I got my set. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hp-547a-current-tracer/
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1198 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:06 pm »
KUSB-3108 low-cost, multifunction data acquisition modules

and

2 x 250ml 100% isopropyl alcohol

from ebay  :)

Offline Aeternam

• Supporter
    • Schartz Engineering
« Reply #1199 on: April 22, 2016, 03:05:54 pm »
Siglent SDG2024X function generator.

Primary use is going to be educational, as in, tinker tinker, plug signal in, measure output, wonder why it's not working  ^-^

First test is attached, sweeping sine wave (green trace) through an RC highpass filter (yellow.) I've been trying to understand the frequency response of RC circuits through textbooks and wikis for a while now and it never quite clicked. Seeing this in action makes it so much easier to understand, very rewarding :-+

#Edit Whoops the scope image seems to be upside down -- Ah well  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:08:52 pm by Aeternam »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf