Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2053193 times)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #400 on: October 14, 2014, 03:19:39 am »
Only the 120 MHz results looks weird to me but I think I know what causes it in this case.  I have seen something similar which appeared to be related to the aperture time of the digitizer implying a non-linear frequency response but I do not think that is it.

The 120MHz result is what I would expect as the sine wave frequency starts to approach the border of the Nyquist frequency (125MHz) - the appearance of amplitude modulation due to 'leakage' (perfectly reproducing a frequency exactly half that of the sampling rate only works in theory). As the frequency reaches Nyquist, the AM will become more extreme. At some point past Nyquist, there is the reappearance of an alias that looks like a normally amplified sine wave again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:48:05 am by marmad »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #401 on: October 14, 2014, 05:42:22 am »
As mentioned before, it's fairly easy to turn ON/OFF the 100MHz BW option with SCPI commands, and if the 50MHz BW device had a sharp enough roll-off implemented in the front-end (i.e. attenuating >= 125MHz >= -12db), it would be an alternative way to BW limit the device when using primarily 3/4 channels (while keeping the working BW around the stated 50MHz maximum).

Fairly easy, but kind of clumsy.  And certainly a hassle to do with any regularity.  OTOH, if someone had their scope connected to a PC most of the time, a standalone utility (or a general-purpose utility, hint) could provide the functionality at a click to switch between all of the available bandwidths.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #402 on: October 14, 2014, 07:02:00 am »
So, if I am understanding the traces:

100 MHz - ok
120 MHz - showing signs of a problem, getting bigger and smaller amplitude
160 MHz - aliasing to 80 MHz  90 MHz
200 MHz - aliasing to 50 MHz

One small correction, above.

Just out of curiosity, what would this test look like with a square wave?

Similar, but different.   ;)  The sine tests are "pure" fundamentals, while the square wave has all the odd harmonics.  That means that obvious problems would start to surface as low as ~40 MHz.  (You should be pretty much OK up to 25 MHz... "coincidentally" the maximum recommended reliable frequency that's been cited in this thread before, using the 10x rule.)

With linear interpolation this would initially manifest as deformations in the wave shape, but with sin(x)/x, you'd start to get some "interesting" spurs on the crests, looking like ringing and distortion.  But there would already be some spurious amplitude modulation artifacts there, from the 3rd harmonic, as evidenced on the 120 MHz sine.  And it would all turn to crap a lot quicker, as the frequency ramped up from 40 MHz. 

E.g., that 50 MHz alias you saw at 200 MHz, would show up (at reduced amplitude) at ~67 MHz.  But some of the fundamental would still remain, at that point.  Triggering may become less stable, and you'll likely have to adjust threshold and/or holdoff to get it to restabilize.  100 MHz will not be at all OK, as the sine wave was.  So going beyond that will be rather pointless.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #403 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:31 am »
One important thing to keep in mind, as you're looking at pa3bca's nicely done sinusoid tests, is that as the frequencies go up, and approach the Nyquist frequency, the first problem is that amplitude anomalies appear.  Not a good thing if you happen to be interested in amplitude, or are counting on it for triggering.  As you pass the Nyquist frequency, you no longer see any of the original waveform!  All you are seeing are aliases, yet they look very "real" even with linear interpolation turned on.

In any non-sinusoidal signal environment (like square waves from digital signals), things are more complicated.  You'll still be able to see the fundamental component, so you think you're good, but you'll be seeing a whole lot more, that isn't really there.  Long before your fundamental reaches Nyquist.  Just like in pa3bca's screen shots.  They will look "real" too, but there won't be any way to tell them apart from actual signal elements.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:20:31 am by Mark_O »

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #404 on: October 14, 2014, 07:24:12 am »
So Mark, for us inexperienced scope users, are you saying that if you set up the scope to be a 100MHz device, it is still only as good as the 50MHz scope that it was sold as and only good for signals up to 25MHz ?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #405 on: October 14, 2014, 07:37:57 am »
for us inexperienced scope users, are you saying that if you set up the scope to be a 100MHz device, it is still only as good as the 50MHz scope that it was sold as

No. We're discussing the limits of *all* 100Mhz, 1Gsa/s oscilloscopes (and finding that the DS1054Z/DS1104Z is matching the theory perfectly, maybe even beating it a little...the analog input part seems to be better then 100MHz).

and only good for signals up to 25MHz

And yes, the DS1104Z with all 4 channels turned on isn't much different than the stock DS1054Z with all 4 channels turned on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:42:52 am by Fungus »

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #406 on: October 14, 2014, 08:19:48 am »
They show exactly what you would expect given that the source has a high level of distortion; tracking generators do not have to be clean.  The test in this case is not significant except on a gross scale and does not say anything useful about the DSO.
I beg to differ. These screenshots show exactly what I expected given that the roll off of the analog front-end above 100+ MHz is not very steep.
The distortion level of the 815 TG has _very_ limited impact on this. It is probably what causes the somewhat imperfect sine @ 100 MHz but I think the influence on the other measurements is irrelevant.
I did some measurements of the 815 TG with my "upgraded" 2072 at 50 and 100 MHz. It looks like the 2nd harmonics are down by approx. 20 dB, so 1/10 of the amplitude of the fundamental. Unlikely that this type of distortion renders the measurements not useful like you suggest.

The amplitude is down by (only) 50% at 200 MHz, so this shows clearly that you need to be very careful if the measured signal has components above say 100 MHz. they _will_ bleed through as aliases.

Distortion of the TG _is_ visible, but nothing spectacular, see attachments.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #407 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:36 am »
And yes, the DS1104Z with all 4 channels turned on isn't much different than the stock DS1054Z with all 4 channels turned on.

So the know the hack increases the bandwidth on the 50 and 70mhz models to the full 100 Mhz.

But we have no side by side comparison with proper test equipment between a upgraded DS1054Z and a factory DS1104Z.  There is still every possibility that Rigol is batching them at different speeds after factory testing. Just as with many CPUs the 'slower' ones may operate perfectly well (or good enough) at the higher speeds and faster chips may be badged as slower versions as they sell faster etc.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:59 am »
for us inexperienced scope users, are you saying that if you set up the scope to be a 100MHz device, it is still only as good as the 50MHz scope that it was sold as

No. We're discussing the limits of *all* 100Mhz, 1Gsa/s oscilloscopes (and finding that the DS1054Z/DS1104Z is matching the theory perfectly, maybe even beating it a little...the analog input part seems to be better then 100MHz).

and only good for signals up to 25MHz

I agree with the comments from Fungus.  Normally I don't like "me too" replies, but since I was the one initially asked, I was concerned my silence might be misinterpreted as disagreement.  He already answered it well.

The only thing I'd add is that the 25 MHz "limitation" is only for non-sinusoidal signals, and only when 3 or 4-channels have been turned on.  There are times when you're working specifically with sinewave generators, and the 25 MHz rule won't apply... even with 4-channels enabled.

So netdudeuk's comment was an oversimplified generalization, that really wasn't what anyone here was saying.  I hope that clears things up.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2014, 09:22:42 am »
Part of the difficulty here is using an oscilloscope in place of a logic analyser which would at least have the option of operating synchronously on a clocked data stream from SPI.

Good ones, yes, but surprisingly, not all LA's do.  None of the LA's in the Rigol MSO's do.  Strictly async Sample mode.

It is worth mentioning that accurately capturing a 60 MHz SPI signal may also present probing difficulties and active probes are not cheap and low-z probes are not ubiquitous (but they are easy to make).  Just having a high bandwidth DSO with a fast sampling rate is not enough if probes with long ground connections are used or if the circuit cannot handle the capacitive loading of a high impedance passive probe or the low input resistance of a low-z probe.

I certainly agree that all those points are worth mentioning.  And remembering.   ;D  Low-Z probes are so easy (and inexpensive) to make that they should be used a lot more often.  Especially when working with high-speed digital logic circuits.  And one nice thing about the Rigol's is their exceptional flexibility wrt selection of the probe multipliers (1x, 2x, 5x, 10x, 20x, etc.), that come in very handy with custom low-Z probes.

I once designed in a pair of emitter followers to drive 50 ohm transmission lines in place of probes from something that was essentially a very fast SPI.  This worked much better than the active probe I did not have.

That is a great solution, but one that often will not be practical or even possible.  Assuming you're talking about building enhanced Test Points into a board design.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:24:32 am by Mark_O »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #410 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:27 am »
But we have no side by side comparison with proper test equipment between a upgraded DS1054Z and a factory DS1104Z.  There is still every possibility that Rigol is batching them at different speeds after factory testing. Just as with many CPUs the 'slower' ones may operate perfectly well (or good enough) at the higher speeds and faster chips may be badged as slower versions as they sell faster etc.

Only a very tiny percentage of chips fail at high speeds but magically work at slower speeds.

Most binning is done where chips are designed to keep on working with some parts completely disabled. eg. A CPU could work with half the cache RAM if there's a failure in the other half, a GPU can disable a bank of SIMD processors if there's a defect there, etc.

Binning based on analog front end of oscilloscopes? (ie. some BNC connectors leading to the ADC) Seems unlikely to me. If it fails at 100MHz it's almost certainly going to fail at 50MHz as well.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:03:01 am by Fungus »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:08 am »
But to borrow and scale a phrase, a 100 MHz oscilloscope cannot track a 2.5 nanosecond edge but it should be able to measure a delay of 1.0 nanoseconds between two such edges.

Perhaps it 'should', but if the spec says the interchannel delays can be as much as 1-2 ns, using it for such measurements isn't something I'd care to rely on.

And then I will look at the early LeCroy DSOs which were advertised as having digital triggers and find that they had timing resolution significantly higher than their real time sample rate would suggest.

That's true, but so what?  I have a 9300-series LeCroy, and two 9400-series.  And you are correct about their timing resolution/capabilities.  But they all had ETS (well, RIS), so they got that for "free", because they had a clock (or facsimile thereof) that ran 40x-50x faster.  I see interpolation capabilities in the ps range.  Back about 50 years ago, when I was using LeCroy scopes in the Physics labs at the Uni, picosecond events were extremely important.  But the current "affordable" scopes we're talking about were never intended for that purpose.

So what was the facsimile of the clock which allowed high resolution delay measurements?  RIS as they describe it sure sounds like what I described where transition midpoint timing (*) is derived after reconstruction.

I haven't researched the mechanism they used to implement it, but the 9400 (surprisingly the older generation of the two) has an absolute time-base accuracy spec of +/-10ps, and can do relative interpolation as you're describing, down to 5ps.  My 9300 may be better yet, but the manual is still packed away.

The Rigol user manual is explicit about supporting a timebase scale of 5 ns/div.  Without interpolation or reconstruction at 250 MS/s, that would produce a pretty awful looking display of a 3.5 nanosecond transition time signal (single-shot or not)

It would be good when sinx/x is feasible, but yes, 'awful' when there's only one sample every 4,000ps.

...when the display resolution indicates that about a difference of 100 picoseconds should be visible; 800 points / 12 divisions = 66 points per division in the display record but some of that is used by the UI so 50 points per division is more realistic.

50 points/div is standard in all the newer Rigols.  The DS2000 has 14 h-divisions, and the 1000z-family has 12.

That then comes out to 100 picoseconds at 5 ns/div.  Coincidentally, the delay calibration is *specified* in the user manual to be 100 picoseconds at 5 ns/div.

It's not a coincidence at all.  But it would be an easy trap to fall into (as I suspect you are) to then assume this implies something about the timebase capabilities of the hardware.  When instead it simply reflects a display-mapping capability.

If it is not possible to see 100 picoseconds of delay difference using this oscilloscope, then it is odd that the delay compensation would support that resolution.  Why support it if it cannot be seen anyway?

Because it can be seen.  In fact, that "resolution" is variable, and maps directly into the pixel structure of the display.  It's always 50x the per division time, which is one pixel.  The Delay Calibration goes as low as 20ps on the DS2000 (at 1ns/div), and is used to visually align each channel with the trigger.  That whole fancy chart means nothing more than you can align to the nearest pixel.  (Which will be 20ps, 40ps, 100ps... 20ns, 40ns, 100ns, NoOffset.)

That is also insignificantly worse than the oldest 100 MHz ETS DSOs that I know of can do.

Probably true, and reflective of the fact that these are not ETS DSOs.   Which is kind of what Marmad and I have been trying to tell you.  >:D

Now maybe the DS1104Z cannot do the above with a single shot acquisition, but it sure should be able to because it is not difficult and the hardware is capable of supporting it.

;D ;D ;D ::)  "should""it is not difficult""the hardware is capable"?  That's a lot of assertions for one sentence.  Sadly there are many things that are not difficult, yet many DSO manufacturers leave them out.  And while there are many technique that could be used to improve the temporal resolution of a scope, that doesn't mean that Rigol incorporated any of them... perhaps due to cost, or difficulty trying to merge them with intensity grading, which they felt was more important/valuable.

The online reference I like to give for various TDC designs is currently down do to hosting issues but the relevant part of the description for a transition midpoint timing TDC is "A resolution of around 10ps or so is possible when using a 16 bit pipeline ADC clocked at 80MHz or more."  As I recall, these were popular in particle collision experiments because of their adequate resolution and accuracy and their very high measurement rate.

Yes, it was the nuclear physics lab that I was doing particle collision experiments with the LeCroys, back in the olden days.  Not really the 50 years I mentioned, but close enough that my recollections of details are extremely vague.  But I've spent a lot of time working with my own (antique) LeCroys, so I know them pretty well.  And I do rather like the 4000x4000 vector graphics displays (though the burn-in not so much).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:23:35 am by Mark_O »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2014, 10:40:40 am »
Binning based on analog front end of oscilloscopes? (ie. some BNC connectors leading to the ADC) Seems unlikely to me. If it fails at 100MHz it's almost certainly going to fail at 50MHz as well.

If it works (at all) at 50Mhz, I would not see it failing outright at 100Mhz. Rather, the calibration may be out more than the internal calibration can compensate for.  Then again this is pure speculation and I may be talking out my hole. :palm:

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:25 am »

@pa3bca: As I've mentioned, since the DS1000Z series doesn't use the LMH6518 in the front-end, it would be nice to know how (and how well) it's handling BW limiting (both for the 20MHz per channel, as well as 50MHz/70MHz for model differentiation). On my DS2000, when I input a 20MHz signal and turn on the 20MHz channel limiter, the signal drops by almost a perfect -3dB. If I input a 100MHz signal, it will be down by approx. -13dB. What are your results given those same parameters?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:11:24 pm by marmad »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #414 on: October 14, 2014, 12:20:13 pm »

Only a very tiny percentage of chips fail at high speeds but magically work at slower speeds.

Most binning is done where chips are designed to keep on working with some parts completely disabled. eg. A CPU could work with half the cache RAM if there's a failure in the other half, a GPU can disable a bank of SIMD processors if there's a defect there, etc.

The binning if they did this would be for distortion produced anywhere from the BNC to digitizer.

Based on what we know about the amplifiers and ADCs used, it could vary by about 12 dB or so.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #415 on: October 14, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »
So, if I am understanding the traces:

100 MHz - ok
120 MHz - showing signs of a problem, getting bigger and smaller amplitude
160 MHz - aliasing to 80 MHz  90 MHz
200 MHz - aliasing to 50 MHz

One small correction, above.

Yep, you are right.

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #416 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »
@pa3bca: As I've mentioned, since the DS1000Z series doesn't use the LMH6518 in the front-end, it would be nice to know how (and how well) it's handling BW limiting (both for the 20MHz per channel, as well as 50MHz/70MHz for model differentiation). On my DS2000, when I input a 20MHz signal and turn on the 20MHz channel limiter, the signal drops by almost a perfect -3dB. If I input a 100MHz signal, it will be down by approx. -13dB. What are your results given those same parameters?
Ok.
first the TG at 20 MHz and 0 dBm into the scope (with T connector and 50 Ohm terminator of course). 0 dBm should read as 223 mV RMS. Scope displays  252 mV so that's 11% off (almost 2 dB). Wel..... measured the TG output and it is at +0.98 dBm (also for TG functionality not really an issue as you would always normalize first before using the TG), and the scope is no precision voltage measurement device.
Then same 20 MHz in with 20 MHz BW limiting selected.
Output now 195 mW RMS.  20 log(195/252) = -2,2 dB

At 100 MHz:
100 MHz without BW limiting: 212 mV   (-1.5 dB @ 100 MHz, this is an "upgraded" 1072Z :-))
100 MHz with 20 MHz BW limiting: 62.3 mV
20 log (62.3/212) = -10.6 dB

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #417 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:41 pm »
Most binning is done where chips are designed to keep on working with some parts completely disabled.
DRAM chips get binned based on their maximum achievable clock speed for given timings, supply voltages, power, etc. CPUs also get speed-binned based on their maximum achievable clock and the amount of power they draw to reach a given clock speed, same goes for CPLDs, FPGAs and just about all other forms of digital ICs.

Analog ICs may get binned based on linearity, noise, bandwidth, offsets, current draw, etc.

Most of binning is done to narrow down variances in wafer yields. The "disabling defective circuitry" part only applies to a relatively small subset of all ICs.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #418 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:13 pm »
They show exactly what you would expect given that the source has a high level of distortion; tracking generators do not have to be clean.  The test in this case is not significant except on a gross scale and does not say anything useful about the DSO.

I beg to differ. These screenshots show exactly what I expected given that the roll off of the analog front-end above 100+ MHz is not very steep.
The distortion level of the 815 TG has _very_ limited impact on this. It is probably what causes the somewhat imperfect sine @ 100 MHz but I think the influence on the other measurements is irrelevant.
I did some measurements of the 815 TG with my "upgraded" 2072 at 50 and 100 MHz. It looks like the 2nd harmonics are down by approx. 20 dB, so 1/10 of the amplitude of the fundamental. Unlikely that this type of distortion renders the measurements not useful like you suggest.

It looks like almost 40 dB to me in your measurement but in the other tests I saw it was more like 25 dB.  I was a little surprised this specification was not included but it is just a tracking generator.

The amplitude is down by (only) 50% at 200 MHz, so this shows clearly that you need to be very careful if the measured signal has components above say 100 MHz. they _will_ bleed through as aliases.

They sure will since the distortion produced in an integrated DSO analog front end and digitizer will probably be on the order of -50 dB.  The DS1000Z series may be a little better (we do not have any information about its channel preamplifier) than that but not by enough to matter.  This would be easy to measure with a low distortion RF signal source.

What I meant when I refereed to this is that the distortion from the TG is going to conceal the distortion in the DSO unlike that other test with the video I linked to where an RF synthesizer intended for receiver testing was used.  The DSO will show aliasing from the TG distortion products.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #419 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »
At 100 MHz:
100 MHz without BW limiting: 212 mV   (-1.5 dB @ 100 MHz, this is an "upgraded" 1072Z :-))
100 MHz with 20 MHz BW limiting: 62.3 mV
20 log (62.3/212) = -10.6 dB

Thanks again! It doesn't seem quite as sharp a roll-off as on the DS2000. Could you please check 125MHz (the 3/4 channel Nyquist frequency) with the 20MHz BW limit on? Perhaps both with just 1 channel ON (1GSa/s), and then with all channels ON (250MSa/s)?

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #420 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »
Thanks again! It doesn't seem quite as sharp a roll-off as on the DS2000. Could you please check 125MHz (the 3/4 channel Nyquist frequency) with the 20MHz BW limit on? Perhaps both with just 1 channel ON (1GSa/s), and then with all channels ON (250MSa/s)?
125 MHz - 250 MSa/s and 1 GSa/s with and without 20 MHz BW filter. See attachments.
This time the shots are taken with the scope in running mode and not n one shot mode. Note the "interesting" amplitude modulation on the first two screenshots, with freq = Nyquist. 125 MHz.
The frequency counter lost it though, even with 1 GSa/s.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:51:28 pm by pa3bca »

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #421 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »
What I meant when I refereed to this is that the distortion from the TG is going to conceal the distortion in the DSO unlike that other test with the video I linked to where an RF synthesizer intended for receiver testing was used.  The DSO will show aliasing from the TG distortion products.
Ah yes I now see what you mean.  Unfortunately I have nothing here (readily available) that can produce a 100MHz-ish signal where spurious is down more than 50 dB. Could build it (say a 5 pole low-pass after a 100 MHz generator) but not now.
But then again: are we going to see -50dB spurious signals back into the "passband" and into the display? with 8 bit A/D? what am I missing here...

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #422 on: October 14, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »
125 MHz - 250 MSa/s and 1 GSa/s with and without 20 MHz BW filter. See attachments.
This time the shots are taken with the scope in running mode and not n one shot mode. Note the "interesting" amplitude modulation on the first two screenshots, with freq = Nyquist. 125 MHz.
The frequency counter lost it though, even with 1 GSa/s.
Thanks once again for your time and efforts! Not long after I asked you to run the tests, I found a BW chart posted in another thread specifying the 20MHz BW  :-[  (part of the problem with spread-out information on this blog) - so sorry for asking for the duplicated effort.

Using seronday's chart (red and green lines), I've revamped my earlier figure showing the (even bigger) risk of aliasing if not limiting the BW to 20MHz when running with 3/4 channels on. The roll-off of the DS1000Z is so slow, that frequency content above Nyquist could be aliasing as high as -2.5db when using 3/4 channels @ 250MSa/s.

Also if these numbers are correct, it's something that might be worth paying attention to even with just 2 channels on (when the Nyquist frequency is 250MHz - the green vertical line), since there will still be a reasonable chance of aliased content being sampled.

Again, this doesn't mean the DS1000Z isn't a great value for the money - it just means you have to remember the limitations when using multiple channels.

EDIT: Fixed a number of errors and added Stan Perkins' measurements (yellow dots and lines).

DS1000Z Frequency response and possible aliased content @ 250MSa/s (3/4 channels ON):

I've also attached the datasheet for the ADC (HMCAD1511 - zipped) used in the DS1000Z (for those interested).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:33:41 pm by marmad »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:36 pm »
But to borrow and scale a phrase, a 100 MHz oscilloscope cannot track a 2.5 nanosecond edge but it should be able to measure a delay of 1.0 nanoseconds between two such edges.

Perhaps it 'should', but if the spec says the interchannel delays can be as much as 1-2 ns, using it for such measurements isn't something I'd care to rely on.

I took this specification to mean that when using multiple channels, the inputs are not simultaneously sampled.  Do we know what ADC the DS1054Z uses?

And then I will look at the early LeCroy DSOs which were advertised as having digital triggers and find that they had timing resolution significantly higher than their real time sample rate would suggest.

That's true, but so what?  I have a 9300-series LeCroy, and two 9400-series.  And you are correct about their timing resolution/capabilities.  But they all had ETS (well, RIS), so they got that for "free", because they had a clock (or facsimile thereof) that ran 40x-50x faster.  I see interpolation capabilities in the ps range.  Back about 50 years ago, when I was using LeCroy scopes in the Physics labs at the Uni, picosecond events were extremely important.  But the current "affordable" scopes we're talking about were never intended for that purpose.

I used the LeCroy since it was already mentioned as a specific example where timing resolution is not limited by the ADC sample clock and digital triggering is used in place of ETS.  Wasn't LeCroy the first to implement digital triggering?  Maybe they just advertised it as such first.  I remember their advertisements saying how much superior it is to older analog ETS implementations.

They certainly are not making picosecond measurements with 100 MHz bandwidths but what I was trying to say earlier is that at these bandwidths, 100 picosecond resolution if not accuracy is reasonable either by using ETS or reconstruction.

So what was the facsimile of the clock which allowed high resolution delay measurements?  RIS as they describe it sure sounds like what I described where transition midpoint timing (*) is derived after reconstruction.

I haven't researched the mechanism they used to implement it, but the 9400 (surprisingly the older generation of the two) has an absolute time-base accuracy spec of +/-10ps, and can do relative interpolation as you're describing, down to 5ps.  My 9300 may be better yet, but the manual is still packed away.

You would want low jitter in the timebase to prevent aliasing or at least not increase the distortion introduced by the digitizer.  On oscilloscopes which use ETS, the timebase jitter needs to be comparable or better than the ETS resolution no matter what the ADC sample rate and sampling error is and the same condition applies if digital triggering is used.

This leads to seemingly absurd implementations where a 20 MS/s ADC is paired with ETS with 500 picosecond resolution to yield a 2 GS/s equivalent time sample rate.  No 20 MS/S ADC is likely to support that however so . . . they include a low jitter sample and hold before the ADC so the ADC clock jitter is irrelevant.  Something very similar if not identical is done on these integrated ADCs so their sampling jitter only depends on their sample and hold.

The ADCs being used by Rigol seem to have about 5ps of aperture jitter but the big unknown is their clock source which I would expect to be more like 50ps but it could be worse.  50ps or worse is typical for an FPGA derived clock from a clean source and it would be worse yet if clock multiplication was used which I doubt they did.  Photos from some other Rigol DSOs show that the digitizer clock is not derived from the FPGA but we have no idea how good the integrated clock they used is except by measurement.

That then comes out to 100 picoseconds at 5 ns/div.  Coincidentally, the delay calibration is *specified* in the user manual to be 100 picoseconds at 5 ns/div.

It's not a coincidence at all.  But it would be an easy trap to fall into (as I suspect you are) to then assume this implies something about the timebase capabilities of the hardware.  When instead it simply reflects a display-mapping capability.

I would actually expect it to be worse when clock jitter is taken into account but not by a whole lot so 100 picoseconds would be at best achievable after averaging.

That is also insignificantly worse than the oldest 100 MHz ETS DSOs that I know of can do.

Probably true, and reflective of the fact that these are not ETS DSOs.   Which is kind of what Marmad and I have been trying to tell you.  >:D

And what I have been trying to say is that the difference between an ETS measurement and a triggered measurement made after reconstruction, even linear reconstruction in some cases, is a distinction without a difference as far as timing accuracy except insofar as aliasing has occurred.

If a pure sine source was used as a test signal and no aliasing occurred, then they would produce identical results.  But aliasing degrades the trigger accuracy when digital triggering is used and this happens whether a pure sine source is used or not because significant aliasing occurs do to distortion in the DSOs analog signal chain and digitizer.

The test using the DSA815 tracking generator will not reveal the above because the source itself has more distortion than the DSO analog front end and digitizer produce.

Now maybe the DS1104Z cannot do the above with a single shot acquisition, but it sure should be able to because it is not difficult and the hardware is capable of supporting it.

;D ;D ;D ::)  "should""it is not difficult""the hardware is capable"?  That's a lot of assertions for one sentence.  Sadly there are many things that are not difficult, yet many DSO manufacturers leave them out.  And while there are many technique that could be used to improve the temporal resolution of a scope, that doesn't mean that Rigol incorporated any of them... perhaps due to cost, or difficulty trying to merge them with intensity grading, which they felt was more important/valuable.

I do not disagree but lets say I wanted to replace my good 100 MHz analog oscilloscope which has a trigger jitter in the 100ps range with a DS1104Z.  Does it support the same timing resolution?  This is not just an idle question; I make this sort of measurement all the time.  As far as I can tell, the DS1104Z hardware should support it.

Take the best case scenario with a DS1104Z DSO.  The signals are pure sine waves and averaging is used.  What is the minimum change in delay that can be measured?  What if square waves or fast edges are used instead of sine waves?  The Tektronix application note that Dave linked says under these conditions, ETS and triggering after sin(x)/x interpolation produce virtually identical results and they back it up with a bunch of calculated graphs.

Incidentally, this application note also discusses what could be the difference between a Rigol DS1054Z upgraded to 100 MHz and a DS1104Z.  For years (decades?) now high end DSOs have been implementing frequency and phase compensation after digitization with the filter coefficients determined by calibration at the time of manufacture and if these calibration coefficients are lost by say a backup battery going dead, the DSO becomes a doorstop unless you can get the manufacturer to do the calibration again.  The filter coefficients are even adjusted for different input attenuator settings.  As digital integration increases, it becomes less expensive in materials and time to do this compared to adjusting the analog signal path and I have not noticed any analog adjustments in photos of the DS1000Z or DS2000A series analog section.

If the DS1054Z is only calibrated this way for up to 50 MHz operation, then an upgraded DS1054Z should show transient response abnormalities compared to a true DS1104Z.

There is a guy on Ebay who rebuilds 150 MHz Tektronix 2445 oscilloscopes by removing the hardware bandwidth filter, setting a jumper to make the firmware think it is a 2465, and changing the faceplate to that of a 300 MHz 2465 oscilloscope.  These faux 2465s do indeed have 300 MHz bandwidth or higher but because the original 2445 lacks the rather ingenious frequency and phase compensation network included in a true 2465, the transient response is severely compromised.  Nobody noticed this on these Ebay specials for a long time because they just checked the bandwidth.

The online reference I like to give for various TDC designs is currently down do to hosting issues but the relevant part of the description for a transition midpoint timing TDC is "A resolution of around 10ps or so is possible when using a 16 bit pipeline ADC clocked at 80MHz or more."  As I recall, these were popular in particle collision experiments because of their adequate resolution and accuracy and their very high measurement rate.

Yes, it was the nuclear physics lab that I was doing particle collision experiments with the LeCroys, back in the olden days.  Not really the 50 years I mentioned, but close enough that my recollections of details are extremely vague.  But I've spent a lot of time working with my own (antique) LeCroys, so I know them pretty well.  And I do rather like the 4000x4000 vector graphics displays (though the burn-in not so much).

I was not surprised to find out that transition midpoint timing or centroid timing TDCs using state of the art ADCs were developed or at least used in particle experiments.  What I find neat now is that cheap DSOs use the same principle.  The situation reminds me of years ago when it was predicted that 3 levels of cache memory used in workstations would migrate down to PCs and now they are not far from being in handheld devices as well.

We need to print up some stickers saying, "Nuclear Technology Inside!"

I have only played with LeCroy oscilloscopes briefly and never long enough for even a poor evaluation.  The 4000x4000 vector graphics display sounds like something I would expect them to do and last time I checked, they still made 12 bit high bandwidth real time DSOs.

The highest display resolution DSO I have is a 7854 (It is sort of a DSO if you squint hard.) which renders a 1024x1024 display and oddly enough uses 102.4 points per division instead of 100 like a sane DSO would.  Since its digitizer is 10 bits, this actually makes sense and it takes advantage of it!  I was very surprised a couple years ago but should not have been when first using it that I could literally see signal characteristics even on a non-index graded display which were invisible on other 8 bit DSOs no matter how I used them.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #424 on: October 14, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »
Do we know what ADC the DS1054Z uses?

Just posted the datasheet (Hittite website: HMCAD1511) right above your comment two minutes before you posted this.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:16:12 pm by marmad »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf