Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2051745 times)

Offline Fcsteve777

Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #600 on: October 31, 2014, 01:41:19 pm »
Just placed my order. Also allocated for the Dec. 6 Order! :-+

Offline thoe

« Reply #601 on: October 31, 2014, 06:32:46 pm »
Got this email from batronix:

"On 24th October you have ordered a Rigol DS1054Z.
[...]

Got the same mail a few days ago, ordered on 17th - and also in the second delivery.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #602 on: November 01, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »
I am waiting for the first shippment from Batronix (nov. 6). If anyone would be interested in getting DS1054Z quicker, I could trade my spot sell scope once it arrives to PL, LT and LV residents (with postal service/local pickup) and still get scope in a new batch before Christmas.

EDIT: Batronix does not allow to change delivery address at this late state. Local pickup/postal parcel offer still valid for PL/LT/LV residents.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:09:13 am by electr_peter »

Offline Micael

• Contributor
« Reply #603 on: November 01, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
Quite the generous offer, although I suspect that batronix wouldn't be able to do that, they can't even issue an invoice until the item is scanned for shipping, so I assume (possibly wrongly) that they might not be able to change places in queues either.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #604 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
Evan,

Your system seems to have gone seriously nuts...

Order 10/23
10/24 confirmation with expected ship date 10/30
10/28 update with expected ship date 11/20
Yesterday, 11/3 update with expected ship date 11/3
Today, 11/4 update with expected ship date 11/20

Edit/update:

11/6 update with ship date of 11/6 for the freebie AC Voltage Sensor
11/11 tracking # for freebie that shipped 11/10 (Why?  The order is marked ship complete.)
11/12 update with expected ship date 11/12

I anxiously await the next installment in this drama.  Edit: Again.

Orin.

Just to update everyone.  We have 85 units coming in on this shipment.  This shipment is sold though.  If you are part of the 85 that are inbound, you got an email about the error in pushing the date back. 

We have a special air shipment of 100 units coming Nov 20th and then we have a  bunch more arriving in early December.  We have some units on the November shipment that are not sold yet. We have the only stock in the USA at this point until December because of our big pre orders.

Thanks for the business!
Evan Cirelli
TEquipment.NET
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:05:47 am by orin »

Offline 1uk3

• Contributor
« Reply #605 on: November 05, 2014, 07:59:04 pm »
Batronix shipped the first batch today :clap:

Offline radiogeek97

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #606 on: November 06, 2014, 11:13:42 am »
Mine arrived from t-equipment yesterday  :clap:   All I have managed to do with my 2 y/o under foot is to un box it and make some changes wink wink. ALL WORKED     now all I am waiting for is the cash for a dsa815tg.   T-equipment ships fast and their customer service has been great I guess from all accounts they have been flooded with orders for this and just don't have product to ship. 

Offline baltersice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #607 on: November 06, 2014, 11:56:03 am »

Got mine from Batronix today, best spot on the desk assigned (:
But that fan really is too audible for me, must find replacement for that ...

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #608 on: November 06, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
Just an FYI for people in the states... Our next shipment comes in about 10 days. It should be a little earlier than expected.

Out of the 95 we have 14 not sold yet if any eevblog members want to get them before the rest of the world does.  We will be sold out in a few days until the beginning of dec.

Thanks
Evan
TEquipment.NET

Offline schollce

« Reply #609 on: November 06, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
Is there still an EEVBlog discount and/or student discount available for the DS1054Z? As a CE student, I was eyeing the DS1052E a while ago, but for the price difference, this model is hard to beat. Really need to learn the hardware side of things.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #610 on: November 07, 2014, 12:20:40 am »
I have one on order from Emona here in Australia, has anyone else? If so have you received it? It should be close.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline briselec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #611 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:41 am »
I have one on order from Emona here in Australia, has anyone else? If so have you received it? It should be close.

Ordered in September, told 4 weeks, rang when I didn't hear anything, told another 4 weeks which means around the end of november. Not getting my hopes up that it will be here by then.

Offline Mathieu

« Reply #612 on: November 07, 2014, 10:29:20 am »

Got mine from Batronix today, best spot on the desk assigned (:
But that fan really is too audible for me, must find replacement for that ...

Hi!
I placed in my DS1000z the GELID Silent 5 fan. (gelidsolutions.com)
Its working very quiet!

Mathieu

Offline thoe

« Reply #613 on: November 07, 2014, 11:37:42 am »
[..]
I placed in my DS1000z the GELID Silent 5 fan. (gelidsolutions.com)
Its working very quiet!
[..]

... thanks for sharing your experience, i think one of the first things to do is replacing the fan.
(My order has been shipped yesterday from Batronix.  :-+)

Offline Wyatt Storch

« Reply #614 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:51 pm »
My first comment here ...

I just want to say thank you to all the participants in the aliasing and bandwidth conversation ... it helped round out my amateur understanding of the theory and REALLY helped me know what to expect with my first digital scope (yep, I'm still lugging a boat anchor around all over the place).  I am especially thankful that replies to errant interpretations are handled gently and without personal insult.  The corrections and explanation of different contexts that bring meaning to the specs are valuable.  It's one thing to understand the glossed-over explanations of Nyquist theorem, it's another to learn what the actual ramifications are, complete with screenshots.

I really appreciate it.

I placed my order with TEquipment last night, my order confirmation says estmated shipment 11/27.  (Pouting about that.)  Hopefully it won't come with a different firmware.  :)

I have a question for the experts here ....  In my field sometimes I have to take some pretty dangerous measurements.  By that I mean looking at a waveform across a device that might be 600 volts DC off ground (yikes).  Since isolated probes are extremely expensive, it is (unofficially) routine to break the rules by 'floating' the case of the scope on an insulated surface and using an isolation transformer to power the scope (and not touching the case when the power is on).  The question is, are there any special considerations with this new digital scope that would make things any different from the old analog scope when making floating measurements like this?  (Obligatory note: I work with dangerous equipment that has dangerous voltages and this practice is not recommended.  You're supposed to buy an isolated/insulated scope and/or an isolated probe.  Don't try this at home or at work.  I already know this.)

--Wyatt--

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #615 on: November 07, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »
The question is, are there any special considerations with this new digital scope that would make things any different from the old analog scope when making floating measurements like this?

Good question :)

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #616 on: November 07, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »
Our shipment should be here a week early but we dont want to update dates again.  If it comes early great! ( they are in transit now from china via air )  If not we are giving that date for now.

Thanks
Evan

TEquipment.NET

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2014, 07:29:52 pm »
For those in Australia who are keen to get one of the DS1054z.

I spoke too, and received an email from Emona in Melbourne on 31/10/14, confirming that stock should be available from 24/11/14. At the time of correspondence the expected initial shipment was for 50 units, 30 of which had been pre allocated. Following shipments will be staggered and not far away, and availability dates in other states may vary accordingly.

Personally a DSO is not a regular item that occupy's my bench space and I still enjoy using the TDS 1002, others may need one going 24/7 for their projects and repairs. Then of course the dilemma factor comes into play, do I jump on the current version which may be end user " enhanced ", or do I hold off and wait for the dust to settle and risk that later versions may have a restriction on options.

I still have a theory that nowadays devices that can be modded or user enhanced get far more attention and free promotion in this media than they otherwise would, anyway food for thought.

Muttley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:19:53 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #618 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »
I have a question for the experts here ....  In my field sometimes I have to take some pretty dangerous measurements.  By that I mean looking at a waveform across a device that might be 600 volts DC off ground (yikes).  Since isolated probes are extremely expensive, it is (unofficially) routine to break the rules by 'floating' the case of the scope on an insulated surface and using an isolation transformer to power the scope (and not touching the case when the power is on).  The question is, are there any special considerations with this new digital scope that would make things any different from the old analog scope when making floating measurements like this?  (Obligatory note: I work with dangerous equipment that has dangerous voltages and this practice is not recommended.  You're supposed to buy an isolated/insulated scope and/or an isolated probe.  Don't try this at home or at work.  I already know this.)

--Wyatt--

Not an expert, but there is a safer alternative, but you are still dealing with high voltages so the only safe way will be not to do things you don't fully understand that are dangerous.

You can use 2 channels with A+B and inverting B, like people been doing it on analog scopes when you need to measure voltages that are not ground referenced to your equipment after removing the ground clips on your probes.

Still you need good quality probes for the task and your scope should be able to handle that voltage. In the case of the DS1054Z is only rated up to 300V RMS, not sure on DC you will have to look up the specs.

Also the probes that come with it are probably no good for 600V.

And finally, Math function on digital scopes (at least at this price level) required to do the A + Inverse B, is not particularly fast, but should be fine for low frequencies or when real time is not that important.

I wouldn't use this scope for measuring anything higher than mains, and I wouldn't use it to measure mains because there is rarely a reason to do that when you can use a DMM instead for most tasks.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:36:14 pm by miguelvp »

Offline Wyatt Storch

« Reply #619 on: November 07, 2014, 07:35:32 pm »
Thanks, Evan.

Offline Wyatt Storch

« Reply #620 on: November 07, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »

Not an expert, but there is a safer alternative, but you are still dealing with high voltages so the only safe way will be not to do things you don't fully understand that are dangerous.

You can use 2 channels with A+B and inverting B, like people been doing it on analog scopes when you need to measure voltages that are not ground referenced to your equipment after removing the ground clips on your probes.

Still you need good quality probes for the task and your scope should be able to handle that voltage. In the case of the DS1054Z is only rated up to 300V RMS, not sure on DC you will have to look up the specs.

Also the probes that come with it are probably no good for 600V.

And finally, Math function on digital scopes (at least at this price level) required to do the A + Inverse B, is not particularly fast, but should be fine for low frequencies or when real time is not that important.

I wouldn't use this scope for measuring anything higher than mains, and I wouldn't use it to measure mains because there is rarely a reason to do that when you can use a DMM instead for most tasks.

Thank you for your reply.  I use a 100x probe for this, one of the things that gets looked at is the DV/DT of the spike across an SCR at up to 1200 volts.  (Yikes!) I hope I am not mistaken in thinking that the 100x probe allows measuring higher voltage?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #621 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:34 pm »
I use a 100x probe for this, one of the things that gets looked at is the DV/DT of the spike across an SCR at up to 1200 volts.  (Yikes!) I hope I am not mistaken in thinking that the 100x probe allows measuring higher voltage?

A 10x probe allows a higher test voltage by a factor of 10, and yes 100x a factor of 100...... BUT!

Remember that the probe ground IS AT EARTH GROUND and you cannot connect that anywhere except for a confirmed earth potential on the device under test unless the device under test is connected using an isolation transformer. The probe also need to be rated for the higher voltage your are probing and preferably with a proper CAT rating and with a 3rd party certification.

Offline Wyatt Storch

« Reply #622 on: November 07, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

A 10x probe allows a higher test voltage by a factor of 10, and yes 100x a factor of 100...... BUT!

Remember that the probe ground IS AT EARTH GROUND and you cannot connect that anywhere except for a confirmed earth potential on the device under test unless the device under test is connected using an isolation transformer. The probe also need to be rated for the higher voltage your are probing and preferably with a proper CAT rating and with a 3rd party certification.

Understood, thanks.  I already have the proper probe.  The device under test is usually bigger than an elephant, so it is the scope the gets connected by an isolation transformer, and the probe is at case potential (don't touch!).

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #623 on: November 07, 2014, 08:50:39 pm »

Could you afford $650 for a Rigol RP1050D?

http://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/RP1050D/
http://www.rigol.com/download/Oversea/DS/User_guide/RP1000D_UserGuide_EN.pdf

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #624 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:54 pm »
Keep in mind that attenuating probes have their own voltage limits.  A typical x100 probe is only good to 1.2 to 2.0 kilovolts no matter what the oscilloscope input can handle.  This is one of those applications where I would derate the probe's voltage specification just for safety; I like Lightages' comment about using probes with CAT certification.

The attenuation of the probes combined with the oscilloscope input scale factors on both channels are unlikely to match exactly which will lower the common mode rejection ratio at low frequencies but most oscilloscopes have some kind of variable gain function which allows the combined probes and channels to be matched which will significantly improve common mode rejection.  The Rigol has a fine vertical scale adjustment which should cover this although the documentation does not describe it well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf