Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 819761 times)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Just heard from someone that Testequity wouldn't ship to a UPS hub, or if a non-US phone number given

It's amazing no uk distributors would offer this deal. It'd be there and gone, hardly affecting anyone but the buyers. Then they'd get the word of mouth from those people since they got such a great deal. Hopefully you get your unit soon, I'd like to know what you actually think about it.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Should have it next Wed.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Back in the days of coax Ethernet and Arcnet, I always had an animal 'sculpture' made of T connectors and terminators on my desk. I haven't seen one personally in probably 15 years.

I still do that! Ok, to be honest it's not really looking like an animal but they are connected together, the bigger the object is the easier it is to find it back  :-+
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I have my Tees in a small drawer in a Raaco cabinet. Next to the drawers with N adapters, SMA adapters and more RF connector adapters.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline pm.llb

• Contributor
tequipment.net says:

AS OF 3/17/17 VERY LIMITED STOCK LEFT - LEAD TIME 3-4 WEEKS - PROMO PRICING ENDS SOON!

Features

SHIPPING TO USA ADDRESSES ONLY!

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
uh yeah, Tequipment.net is sending emails now saying that there is 4 weeks lead time. Guess they were overrun :)

and testequity notes: "Temporarily Sold Out. Delivery for all new orders in 30 days. Place your order before supplies run out completely!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:59:50 pm by Neganur »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Should have it next Wed.

So from the sounds of it the promo deal will be all sold out before you get it and can put it through its paces.
VE7FM

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
I ordered mine 2 days ago, almost immediately, from testequity and they told me 6+ weeks today. If they aren't actually sold out already I'd be surprised.

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
I ordered mine from Testforce here in Ottawa, Canada yesterday and was told 6 weeks until delivery.

Good thing that as I got older my ability to wait improved ..  well ... sort of..

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Anybody knows how quiet the  scope is? Having a piece of TE that's quiet out of the box would be great for a change.

on page 12 of
https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/RTB2000_bro_en_3607-4270-12_v0300.pdf
it says: "Audible noise | maximum sound pressure level at a distance of 1.0 m | 28.3 dB(A)"

anybody has an idea how loud this is? from google it looks pretty silent, but actually I have no real feeling for how loud it really is. do you have any comparison?
Any sign if they are using a fan? Or is it passively cooled?

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
Guys.  This is Evan Cirelli from Tequipment.  Thanks for all the business!

Here is the real run down on these units.  As you guys know demand is very high.

In all of the USA this is a very limited number of units being sold at the special price.  We have all but 26 units sold.  I expect these to be sold within a few days.

http://www.tequipment.net/Rohde-&-Schwarz/RTB2K-COM4/Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscopes-(MSO)/

These units will be shipping in 4-5 weeks.  This is a limited time special. At this time I am told when we are sold out this special will be over.
Again thanks for the business!

Cheers
Evan Cirelli

Vice President and Co Founder
TEquipment.NET
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:26:21 pm by tequipment »

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
Anybody knows how quiet the  scope is? Having a piece of TE that's quiet out of the box would be great for a change.

on page 12 of
https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/RTB2000_bro_en_3607-4270-12_v0300.pdf
it says: "Audible noise | maximum sound pressure level at a distance of 1.0 m | 28.3 dB(A)"

anybody has an idea how loud this is? from google it looks pretty silent, but actually I have no real feeling for how loud it really is. do you have any comparison?
Any sign if they are using a fan? Or is it passively cooled?

If it is more than a meter or so away from you, you will not be able to hear 28.3 dB "white noise" in any normal working environment .  This is quieter than my electric wall clock.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:37:09 pm by irakandjii »

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
Just been having a more detailed look through the manual.
Some unusual features :

USB - can be configured as
TMC ( test/measure class - like most scopes)
VCP - COM port for SCPI commands via terminal  - no LXI drivers etc.needed  just so send some simple commands
Mass Storage - scope appears as a drive on the PC

Grid can be made to track the waveform as you scroll. Could be really handy for manually decoding serial protocols - keeping timeslots in a consistent place.
Time/Voltage values shown on every grid line ( optional)

1gbit ethernet - appears to support live screen updates via web interface. (Even mentions using a RasPi to do it for low-cost HDMI output!)

Colour intensity modes, and  inverse mode - infrequent signals show up more brightly - sounds really useful for catching occasional glitches etc.

Simultaneous XY and waveform display, and XYY to display 2 Y axes ( 3-phase?)

Defaults to 50mS persistance  ( can be turned off) I noticed this in the Polish demo, Not sure how I feel about that - wondering if it's to hide something in zero-persistence mode.

Envelope acquisition mode - think I'll have to see it to understand if useful

Adjustable hysteresis on trigger input

"set to trace"  for manual cursors - sets cursors to one cycle/ peak-peak of current trace

Adjustable front-panel LED brightness

Obvious omissions :
No Nth-edge burst or runt pulse trigger
No integration/difference maths function 
No event search ( never used it myself but I can see how could be useful)
No foreign language help, only menus etc. ( expect that may get done at some point)

Is it possible that any of the "omissions" would be available at a future date?
- Firmware upgrade?
- New Option?

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
Is it possible that any of the "omissions" would be available at a future date?
- Firmware upgrade?
- New Option?

Two posts after that kwass found documentation that the scope does have the runt pulse trigger and event search.   I would *really* like to see more math functions too.  Maybe that could be a firmware update thing, unless it would bog the processor in the unit down too much.  Apparently it can do a dump of stored data via USB to MATLAB, which is a handy trick

https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/RTB2000_Import_ac_en_3607-0446-92_v0100.pdf   (opens PDF)

but not really a replacement for (more advanced!) real-time math functions.  Since it can perform FFTs one would think it would be possible to make it integrate and differentiate, at the least.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:54:46 pm by agdr »

The following users thanked this post: irakandjii

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
 Of course they could add all sorts of new features if the wanted, though they won't want to compete with their higher end models.
Quite likely there could be things that aren't in the current user guide. There was a firmware update on their site posted a few days ago.
The stuff about runt etc. Appeared to relate to a different model.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Was there a thread about the new Spectrum analyzer?
Rohde & Schwarz FPC1000 Spectrum Analyzer

The girl in the brochure has one to the right of her.

Replacement of the old Hameg HMS-X

https://www.testequity.com/products/33441/ $1895.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell

Here is the real run down on these units.  As you guys know demand is very high.

In all of the USA this is a very limited number of units being sold at the special price.  We have all but 26 units sold.  I expect these to be sold within a few days.

http://www.tequipment.net/Rohde-&-Schwarz/RTB2K-COM4/Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscopes-(MSO)/

These units will be shipping in 4-5 weeks.  This is a limited time special. At this time I am told when we are sold out this special will be over.

Cheers
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

This has set a precident for the price and that will be all the market will be prepared to pay from now on.

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
Of course they could add all sorts of new features if the wanted, though they won't want to compete with their higher end models.

Maybe an opportunity here for R&S to make a few $$ on this likely loss-leader intro promo, an "advanced math" software package for another $540, the pricing of their other software packages.  I would buy it if the package contained the majority of the math functions the Keysight 3000 series offers, attached.  Especially if it added the markers to the FFT peaks!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:34:00 am by agdr »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor

Cheers
Evan Cirelli

TEquipment.NET

This has set a precident for the price and that will be all the market will be prepared to pay from now on.

I don't believe that. Scopes have been high priced all this time. You can get a rigol for 400 but, while it's insanely popular, it's not the only scope people buy. This isn't that much different than keysight giving away alot of scopes, except R&S still make money since most of the options are just software codes.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The bundle price is clearly a marketing stunt, and to compete there is no need for them to sell it anything like that cheaply. Their intention is to get units out there, so people find out how good they are and hopefully raise their profile ( especially in USA/Canada, apparently).
At the list price, they are probably reasonably competitive, but more on a "better for the same price" basis than "cheaper for a comparable spec". Getting units out there  helps spread the "better" word.

What we may well see is  promotions, offers etc. and options "thrown in" to get a sale. Time will tell how it works out. As Rich said, they are in it for the long term.
And of course if they get hacked, they won't be able to build them fast enough.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

all but 26 of the whole allocation or just your part of it ?

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
I don't believe that. Scopes have been high priced all this time. You can get a rigol for 400 but, while it's insanely popular, it's not the only scope people buy. This isn't that much different than keysight giving away alot of scopes, except R&S still make money since most of the options are just software codes.

You know, I often wonder about that.  Do they lose money on their base 70MHz models, and they expecting most people upgrade to at least a break even level, or are the base models profitable, and every license key you buy above that is just pure profit gravy?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

You know, I often wonder about that.  Do they lose money on their base 70MHz models, and they expecting most people upgrade to at least a break even level, or are the base models profitable, and every license key you buy above that is just pure profit gravy?
In terms of actual hardware manufacturing cost, I highly doubt they'd be selling anything at a loss ( that may even be illegal in some jurisdictions) , but they will be relying heavily on sales of higher models & options to recoup development cost, and quite a bit of that cost (particularly software, maybe also the 10 bit ADC) will be shared (maybe already recouped) over different product ranges.
As long as they are competitive in features vs. cost to the competition, people that want a 300MHz scope will buy ( or upgrade) to that spec - some people need that spec, so they just have to make sure they buy theirs and not the competition, and they do have potential to add sweeteners like options at no coat to them if they think that would make a sale they otherwise wouldn't have got.

And longer term they can adjust prices if the balance of models is different to what they based their pricing on.

Something that I have always wondered out of random curiosity- scopes are a relatively niche product. The avarage person on the street wouldn't even know what one was. There are so many options from so many manufacturers, especially at the low end (<=100Mhz).
Keysight are giving away something like 150 scopes, (including I think 10+ pretty high end ones) this month.

Just how many scopes at the various levels are sold worldwide each year -  anyone know ?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:10:33 am by mikeselectricstuff »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here

Maybe an opportunity here for R&S to make a few $$ on this likely loss-leader intro promo, an "advanced math" software package for another $540, the pricing of their other software packages.  I would buy it if the package contained the majority of the math functions the Keysight 3000 series offers, attached.  Especially if it added the markers to the FFT peaks!
While those are standard on the 3000T, they were the advanced maths "option" for the 3000X. So its been done before!

The following users thanked this post: agdr

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
Just how many scopes at the various levels are sold worldwide each year -  anyone know ?

It looks like it will cost you more than a new RTB2004 to find out: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-oscilloscope-industry-2015-market-research-reports-505818511.html
-katie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf