Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 818140 times)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Confirmed that there definitely won't be a launch bundle for UK.

Also confirmed that warranty support is worldwide so no issues for imported units
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:14:31 am by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Gabri74, JPortici, thanasisk, pm.llb

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
That probe looks quite familliar

Did i also see coarse/fine horizontal scale?

The eternal question: does it decode on memory or screen buffer?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Nice first impression video, Mike, Thanks

The web interface is probably the fastest I have seen.
Also interesting to see hexagonal air flow holes in the housing, someone was thinking at R&S.
Overall nice impression.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
When I see the response of the remote access, I have to wonder how quickly you could potentially stream "point" data to a remote processor.  I thought I saw a stream "function" in the remote control documentation, but have not been able to find it again.  (it might have been another scope, I will keep looking)

Even if it was Sub 50 Mp/s that would be a very powerful and unique capability in this class of scope.

PS  BTW I am just wondering ... would it not be better to keep all insects out of a lab setting?  Are they not the actual real life, root of the term "bug" in electronics? :-//

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Thanks for the useful information and in-depth review!

Could you please give us some info on the FFT performance and whether you can do FFT peak search similar to the HMO1200?

The mirroring and remote control functionality  looks cool, but does it further support downloading the raw data of the channels over that web interface?

Is there also any limitation on what kind of raw data you can get through the usb-mtp connection? (can you get the whole (segmented?) memory or just what is displayed, fft waveform). This would be interesting for further analyzing the waveform in e.g. matlab.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Confirmed that there definitely won't be a launch bundle for UK.

Also confirmed that warranty support is worldwide so no issues for imported units

thanks :) not surprised about R&S UK wont do launch bundle. They are not very competition or marketing focused in the UK. I have now had several quotes for R&S gear and they are not flexible anywhere. Must be great to be in that situation :)

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Has anyone been able to import a (launch offer) unit in Europe?  I tried several us and canada stores but they declined to sell abroad.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Must be great to be in that situation :)

Basically had the same experience with R&S folks here. If you're not able to wave big bundles of money, they're yawning. Even items from their used store, forget it if you're trying to haggle.
They're of course very friendly people still - must be company policy or something.

I had a whole different experience when talking to Keysight's people.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
In comparison to the older HMO line I am not sure if the tripple 10 makes such a big difference. I can't wait to see the upcoming videos from Watt Circuit, Mike and Dave. :popcorn:

The optional features are way too expensive in my opinion. Two examples from my configuration wishlist:

>> 2 Channel MSO <<

> HMO1212 (1195,-€) scope 2CH;100MHz;10kWfm/s
> simple waveform generator  SIN;SQR;PLS;SAW;TRI;DC;<50kHz
+ HO3508 (308,-€) logic probe 8CH;1GS
+ HOO10 (298,-€) serial decoding I2C;SPI;UART;RS232
= 1801,- Euro + VAT
--

> RTB2002 (1250,-€) scope 2CH;70MHz;50kWfm/s
+ RTB-B221 (275,-€) bandwidth upgrade 100MHz
+ RTB-K1 (480,-) serial decoding I2C;SPI
+ RTB-K2 (480,-) serial decoding UART;RS232
+ RTB-B1 (700,-) mixed signal option 16CH;1.25GS
+ RTB-B6 (700,-) arbitrary waveform generator <50MBit/s
= 3885,- Euro + VAT
--

>> 4 Channel MSO <<

> HMO1024(1965,-)
> no waveform generator
= 2571,- Euro + VAT

--

> RTB2004 (1900,-€) scope 4CH;70MHz;50kWfm/s
+ RTB-B241 (225,-€) bandwidth upgrade 100MHz
= 3785,- Euro + VAT

Source: Price and options: http://shop.rohde-schwarz.com/de/r-srrtb2004bu.html

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor

Basically had the same experience with R&S folks here. If you're not able to wave big bundles of money, they're yawning. Even items from their used store, forget it if you're trying to haggle.
They're of course very friendly people still - must be company policy or something.

I think it is a company policy - had same polite but dismissive and non-interested attitude when I dealt with their HQ when I was in the UAE.

Last time I asked for a quote on the ScopeRider in the UK - when I told the sales guy the quoted SRP was too much for my current budget - he never even bothered to reply to that email.

Offline termi

• Contributor
In comparison to the older HMO line I am not sure if the tripple 10 makes such a big difference. I can't wait to see the upcoming videos from Watt Circuit, Mike and Dave. :popcorn:

The optional features are way too expensive in my opinion. Two examples from my configuration wishlist:

>> 2 Channel MSO <<

> HMO1212 (1195,-€) scope 2CH;100MHz;10kWfm/s
> simple waveform generator  SIN;SQR;PLS;SAW;TRI;DC;<50kHz
= 1801,- Euro + VAT
--

> RTB2002 (1250,-€) scope 2CH;70MHz;50kWfm/s
+ RTB-B221 (275,-€) bandwidth upgrade 100MHz
+ RTB-B6 (700,-) arbitrary waveform generator <50MBit/s
= 3885,- Euro + VAT
--

>> 4 Channel MSO <<

> HMO1024(1965,-)
> no waveform generator
= 2571,- Euro + VAT

--

> RTB2004 (1900,-€) scope 4CH;70MHz;50kWfm/s
+ RTB-B241 (225,-€) bandwidth upgrade 100MHz
= 3785,- Euro + VAT

Source: Price and options: http://shop.rohde-schwarz.com/de/r-srrtb2004bu.html

In the US they sell the RTB-PK1.02 Application Bundle for $1260 which includes all serial options + segmented memory + wavegen. If this is also available in Europe, it would make some of your configurations significantly cheaper.

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
Hello.  Just to post a note we have 3 scopes left at the promo deal for RS and then we will be killing off the Promo.

RS limited this deal to a limited number of units.

Thanks for all the business.

Best Regards,
Evan Cirelli
Vice President TEquipment.NET

Offline apomerleau

The TestEquity web site shows a similar message:

"Delivery for all new orders is 30 days. Only 3 left for new orders as of 3/21 - Place your order before supplies run out completely!"

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor

In the US they sell the RTB-PK1.02 Application Bundle for $1260 which includes all serial options + segmented memory + wavegen. If this is also available in Europe, it would make some of your configurations significantly cheaper.

I can't find any bundles available here in Europe. Maybe only for big customers. :rant:

And if I understand it right TestEquity, TEquipment.NET or other US suppliers do not want or can not sell this special offer back to Europe.  :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:11:38 pm by WattSekunde »

Offline termi

• Contributor

I can't find any bundles available here in Europe. Maybe only for big customers. :rant:

And if I understand it right TestEquity or other US suppliers do not want or can not sell this special offer to Europe.  :(

Looks like at least Farnell Germany might have the app bundle available soon?
http://de.farnell.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb-pk1/software-bundle-oszilloskope/dp/2723131?ost=RTB-PK1.02&selectedCategoryId=&categoryNameResp=Alle&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

The following users thanked this post: WattSekunde

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor

And if I understand it right TestEquity or other US suppliers do not want or can not sell this special offer to Europe.  :(

Looks like at least Farnell Germany might have the app bundle available soon?
http://de.farnell.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb-pk1/software-bundle-oszilloskope/dp/2723131?ost=RTB-PK1.02&selectedCategoryId=&categoryNameResp=Alle&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

Thank's! That looks good. But it's a software only bundle. Better than nothing.
Two days ago I asked R&S about the early adopter bundle for Europe and they are moving the question to some sales office...

The complete bundle (RTB2004 OSCILLOSCOPE 4 CHANNEL, 300MHz PROMOTIONAL PACKAGE) is for 5500,- Euro + VAT. Compare that to $ 2080+VAT in the US?  >:(

http://de.farnell.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb2k-com4-launch-edition/rtb2004-complete-bundle-300-mhz/dp/2723153?categoryId=700000005797&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:40:48 pm by WattSekunde »

Offline Alex P

• Contributor

I think it is a company policy - had same polite but dismissive and non-interested attitude when I dealt with their HQ when I was in the UAE.

Last time I asked for a quote on the ScopeRider in the UK - when I told the sales guy the quoted SRP was too much for my current budget - he never even bothered to reply to that email.

My experience is quite different and much better. I recently bought an RTM2000 from Rohde & Schwarz Benelux (that's in Europe, the Netherlands). Got a nice discount. Their website explicitly mentions they sell to private persons in NL. After the christmas holiday period, emails were answered reasonably fast; the first offer even included an HMO2024 at a discount (so, yes, they were willing to take the trouble to sell me a single humble 'scope). They also offered ex-demo and non-current stuff at (rather higher) discounts (the website is not kept current for this though, so ask!). I tried the RTM2000 at their office for several hours (I declined their offer to ship me one to try it out).  Satisfied customer :-+

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
The TestEquity web site shows a similar message:

"Delivery for all new orders is 30 days. Only 3 left for new orders as of 3/21 - Place your order before supplies run out completely!"

Yeah I think I can see what is going on here now.  There must be just the one "pool" of (additional?) available promo units at the wholesaler, or R&S directly, that both US distributors (Tequipment, Test Equity) are selling from.  I'll take a guess that nothing has been, or will be, actually ordered from R&S until those 3 units left in the "pool" are sold.  Then a batch order processed (built?) by R&S.  That explains the sliding delivery date estimates, both distributors likely didn't know for sure when the clock would start on delivery lead time until the whole batch of available promo units were sold.

I'm curious if any promo bundles *at all* were actually available & ready for immediate shipment in the US when this started! If so those lucky few folks should be getting their units this week or next, I would think.  If anyone receives one, please post!  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:44:05 pm by agdr »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Thanks for the overview Mike.

It is too bad they went with such a cheap LCD, for a few dollars more they could have gotten one with an oleophobic coating. The fingerprints will be so nasty, hard to believe it really is glass.

Still at the intro special pricing for US/Canada it is a great deal.

The remote web interface puts Keysight's to shame. The MSO cable without a proper handle to pull on to remove them is rather lame.
VE7FM

Offline Skagit

I ordered mine on march 15 and have an expected ship date of march 31.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
That does sound like one that was ready to ship!

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Thanks for the teardown Mike. One thing I noticed is: No flash memory? Must be in the FPGA then?
I don't really like the looks, both front and rear (but who cares about the rear). The LCD is shiny and covered with finger prints, the panel just looks cheap to me.
Sure, it's not the most important feature of a scope but compared to a Keysight MSOX/DSOX it's the ugly duck.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Zebble

Looks like promo's are sold out!  Just tried to purchase from TestForce (Canada).  Got a quote on Monday, placed the order Tuesday, was told today that they've told by R&S there are no more promo's to sell.

Less than 2 weeks and that's it!?  Come on R&S.  I've never purchased R&S before, nor will I now.  Pretty shady.

Anybody else getting knocked down when they try to order?

FYI:  This in no way reflects on my positive opinion about TestForce.  Ty was very helpful, responsive and apologetic when he learned of this treason on R&S's part.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Thanks for the teardown Mike. One thing I noticed is: No flash memory? Must be in the FPGA then?
No, it will be one of the BGAs. I didn't look up all the numbers

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Looks like promo's are sold out!  Just tried to purchase from TestForce (Canada).  Got a quote on Monday, placed the order Tuesday, was told today that they've told by R&S there are no more promo's to sell.

Less than 2 weeks and that's it!?  Come on R&S.  I've never purchased R&S before, nor will I now.  Pretty shady.

Anybody else getting knocked down when they try to order?

FYI:  This in no way reflects on my positive opinion about TestForce.  Ty was very helpful, responsive and apologetic when he learned of this treason on R&S's part.
Aiui it was a global (!) Allocation of 200. I'm not aware of any other units out there apart from the 3 or so seen on Youtube.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf