Author Topic: EEVblog #959 - How Much I Make On Youtube Revealed  (Read 27169 times)

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
Re: EEVblog #959 - How Much I Make On Youtube Revealed
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
Dave, I truly wish you made more for the work you do.   It is sad you probably could make 2-3 times that going back as a working engineer.

I appears that youtube rates are pretty low to me, and it would probably pay off much more to spend a little more effort to promote patreon subscriptions because you get far benefit directly for your efforts there.  One cool thing that some people do is personally thank all their new patron subscribers by name at the end of each of their videos.  You might try something like that and see if it works.

Thanks anyway and wishing you more success.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:21:20 pm by nixfu »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »
I would think he makes the same now as he would as an engineer, possibly just a bit more.

$3,000-5,000 YouTube + $3,000 Patreon + $500 Forum ads + $2,000-5,000 (possibly a lot more) in sales (BM235, microcurrent, ruler, t-shirts) ... ~$13,000 per month the last few months.

Then you have to subtract income tax, business expenses, investments into projects etc.

Given the large fluctuations in income I hope he's taking care of his savings account!

Offline Tek_TDS220

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 05:30:33 pm »
Dave, in a perfect world you would be paid more money.  Looking around my 'lab' right now, I've spent ~$3000 US on items that I never would have without your videos.  I wonder how much in sales you are responsible for?

I really appreciate your honesty and openness.  I value your opinions highly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:46:16 pm by Tek_TDS220 »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:28 pm »
Dave, thank you for your honesty and being so open about everything. I've been watching your blog ever since I heard about it, and enjoy every episode and participating in the forums. I started doing some YouTube stuff a few years ago, not to make money, but just for fun.

My first video was on how to fix a Samsung TV whose caps on the power supply blew after only 2 years. As you know, that was just a fluke of good luck for me as it generated a ton of hits. YouTube then monetized my channel. Since then, that video has gathered > 726,000 views. My next most popular video was how to "hack" an Apple TV 3 at about 269,000 views. After that, it dwindles substantially but still, my channel has a total of 1.5 million views across over 100 videos and now just recently surpassed 1000 subscribers! EEVBlog is also added as a "Featured Channel", followed by Ben Heck, Make and Instructables.

As far as income goes, I get a direct deposit from Google about every 1-2 months for ~$100. Maybe $500-600 a year? I haven't checked lately. Nothing to live on, but it makes me happy as I put that in to my "extra goodies" account if I need to buy something from "flee-Bay". It beats my BlackBerry developer account which earns me about $3 per quarter in PayPal revenue from my app sales.  :-DD   And I had put way more effort developing my apps for BlackBerry than my YouTube channel.

Dave, you may not get rich on YouTube but we all appreciate all the hard work you do in teaching us all about electronics, busting scams, and being the independent "say it like it is" no B.S. guy you are!!!!  :-+ Thanks for not being a sell-out, like a lot of other YouTubers and Bloggers who claim to be unbiased but sell everything on the side and get paid to product place. When you get gear from a company to review, you're not even afraid to criticize it and tell the truth about stuff you don't like! That takes integrity, which is worth more than any amount of money.

So keep up the good work! I may never be able to retire on my YouTube account but it's a pretty neat world we live in where these opportunities do exist. Of course, to make big money on YouTube you'd have to be doing stuff that the average Joe is interested in, which is not electronics education related... I can show you plenty of channels with millions of subcribers, hundreds of millions of views pandering to the lowest common denominator of filth, swearing, nudity, people getting hurt, dumb stupid things, embarrassing people, conspiracies, scaring people, etc... Those types of channels do much better.

A quick search on YouTube revealed the following "starlet" Tana Mongeau who has managed to get over 160,899,282 views (double that of EEVBlog) since joining in April 2015 (EEVBlog says 2009), and over 2.2 million subscribers (EEVBlog at 400,000+). Not to create any more traffic for this young lady, but just to show you where the interest of society lies and that it will keep rewarding this kind of content:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClWD8su9Sk6GzZDwy9zs3_w/about

Sadly, the number of educational and science channels subscription and view rates dwindle in comparison to this type of garbage.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:05:18 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 09:39:22 pm »
Dave,
Thanks for the information you are freely giving out. It is much appreciated.  :-+

Guess I will not be quitting my day job anytime soon  |O  he he

I am very happy with what little I do make on my channel.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 10:42:06 pm »
Patreon.
AvE 9777
EevBlog 3047
BigClive 1840
TPAI 1241
Julian Ilett 262

Was surprised that AvE did better than Dave to be honest.
I feel sorry for poor Julian.

Is that really skookum? :-DD

PEACE===>T
PEACE===>T

Offline broderp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 02:45:12 am »
Dave, You are a very well educated and intelligent person.  I would love to work and learn from you.  You would make an impressive teacher or professor.  I give you mad props, for doing this video and am a bit confused as to why this would be a primary job when you are worth so much more in the electronic/ engineering field!

I fit makes you and your family happy, then that is great, but you sir so much more valuable than the $40-50K a year!  I'm not 1/10th as smart or knowledgeable as you yet I make more than that.  I could not survive on $40K

Why not do the YouTube part time and work that 120K a year job?  You have a lovely family.  I would love to save up that kind of money for my wife and kids and our future.

This makes me sad, you are kind of a "Nerd Hero" to me.... :(

Offline broderp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 02:59:58 am »
Run length matters, watch the ad to the end ( even if you are not watching it) and then watch again with the BIG HI.  Do not switch away from the tab, as that is the one metric used to gauge attention, a backgrounded video is not considered a watch, even if you are using a video that is there to convey an audio only stream with a fixed image. To watch those pop them out to a separate window, and leave that running on the desktop, with it dragged mostly off to the side, so it still shows as a video. Still will be lower rated as an unselected window ( also a metric used), but higher than a non selected tab.

Man do I feel like crap now knowing that I have been cutting Dave's profit every time I took shortcuts to avoid the "commercials or ads"  For Dave I will watch them (not skip them at least) so that he can maximize the profit from my viewing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 03:19:15 am »
I doubt many people know how much time goes into writing, shooting, re-shooting, editing, and general video production of decent quality content with good camera angles and lighting, and a reasonably well done script or thought out idea.

I'm my case I don't do scripts. But another Youtuber in the engineering space who does revealed that it takes about 30 hours of work to create one polished scripted 5 minute tutorial video.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 03:20:34 am »
Dave, I run PCBShopper and I get income solely from ads on my web site. Would you be willing to share how much you make from eevblog ads? It would give me an upper limit of what I can expect to ever get from ads (my traffic is much less than yours).

Send me an email.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 03:22:48 am »
This may seem a bit out there, but once and a while, when watching Dave's vids, I notice he throws in what looks like a plug for certain companies.

Nope, you are mistaken.

Is the intent there to get more test equiptment or do the various manufactures give him some money.

I have never accepted a single cent from a manufacturer.
I mention brands because people want to know what I think about various products. If I think a product is good then I might mention it. It's just me being me.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 03:25:39 am »
The EEVblog multimeters are there as product placement though, he has to advertise the blog, the channel and the stuff that brings in his income somehow

Of course, I'd be a fool not to.
It also helps that it's one of the smallest meters I have, and has a big display, both handy for good camera framing.
If I didn't have my own brand meter I'd be using the BM257 for those reasons.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 03:28:44 am »
Dave, I truly wish you made more for the work you do.   It is sad you probably could make 2-3 times that going back as a working engineer.

Rest assured that I'm doing very well.
Remember, I have other sources of income.

I appears that youtube rates are pretty low to me, and it would probably pay off much more to spend a little more effort to promote patreon subscriptions because you get far benefit directly for your efforts there. 

Yeah, I should do that more, but I simply forget. And also I wouldn't like to push it down people's throats on every video.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 03:33:25 am »
I would think he makes the same now as he would as an engineer, possibly just a bit more.

I said that in the video, but most people commenting seem to think I"m getting paid a pittance.
Trust me, the wife wouldn't let me do this if it's wasn't earning well enough.

$3,000-5,000 YouTube + $3,000 Patreon + $500 Forum ads + $2,000-5,000 (possibly a lot more) in sales (BM235, microcurrent, ruler, t-shirts) ... ~$13,000 per month the last few months.

I'm doing pretty well.

Then you have to subtract income tax, business expenses, investments into projects etc.

My accountant alone costs me almost $5k a year.
Internet access is another $9k a year.
Plus countless other expenses.

Given the large fluctuations in income I hope he's taking care of his savings account!

Yes, I have a cash buffer.
I've got to have this when I buy 600 multimeter upfront in one hit.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2016, 03:36:18 am »
Dave, in a perfect world you would be paid more money.  Looking around my 'lab' right now, I've spent ~$3000 US on items that I never would have without your videos.  I wonder how much in sales you are responsible for?

I estimate it would be in the order of $5-10M (yes, million) at least.
That's not a stretch either I don't think. Say I have influenced 10,000 scope purchases over the last 7 years at $500ea average, there is $5M right there just in scopes.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 03:39:13 am »
Of course, to make big money on YouTube you'd have to be doing stuff that the average Joe is interested in, which is not electronics education related...

Yep, that's for sure.

Sadly, the number of educational and science channels subscription and view rates dwindle in comparison to this type of garbage.

The science channels are doing exceptionally well, but that's pretty mainstream stuff.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 03:42:30 am »
That was a great vid always interesting to see how much someone makes and great to see how open you are about it.  It's easy to forget about the financial side of it.  For the amount of work it is to put out videos regularly it would be less fun to do it if there was zero monetary incentive.

I'll be honest, I use adblock as I find Youtube is practically unusable without it, what are your thoughts on ad blockers, and what are ways people like me can still contribute financially?  I never really thought about it till now, but using an adblocker rips off the youtubers themselves and not just Youtube so I kinda feel bad now.

And yeah, I bought a scope because of this channel. :P   

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 03:45:13 am »
Does AvE advertise his?
I hardly ever mention my Patreon.
I get th  same as Veritasium, a channel 10 times bigger than me.
https://www.patreon.com/veritasium

Nobody answered this, but he has mentioned it a few times.  I haven't noticed so much lately.  He does special projects just for his patreon members.
Mark Higgins

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2016, 04:06:01 am »
Why not do the YouTube part time and work that 120K a year job?  You have a lovely family.  I would love to save up that kind of money for my wife and kids and our future.

If Dave "got a real job" he'd have to go to work every day, at the appropriately dictated times, he'd have to do the work he was set by other people, he'd have to go to inane meetings, he'd have to deal with many many people he'd rather not, he'd have to schedule his holidays in advance, he couldn't just decide to go to the beach for the afternoon... and most importantly, he would end up answerable to people other than SWMBO, the less people you are answerable to, the better.

I could be making 5 times what I make if I had remained an employee 15 years ago instead of going it alone.  I can't say I regret it.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2016, 04:07:37 am »
Quote from: Red Squirrel
  ... And yeah, I bought a scope because of this channel.
I've bought HEAPS of stuff because of this stoopid channel !! Most of it, I already had 1-5 before, but ended up buying again.
AND, even though I say to myself, "don't do it, don't get sucked in", more than likely, I'll buy the next "hot" item. siiigh ... misery
Oh well, the FLIR was worth ALL the other items alone.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2016, 04:19:06 am »
Quote from: Red Squirrel
  ... And yeah, I bought a scope because of this channel.
I've bought HEAPS of stuff because of this stoopid channel !! Most of it, I already had 1-5 before, but ended up buying again.
AND, even though I say to myself, "don't do it, don't get sucked in", more than likely, I'll buy the next "hot" item. siiigh ... misery
Oh well, the FLIR was worth ALL the other items alone.

Oh yeah I've bought a lot of stuff too like general purpose stuff from Digikey - a lot of it I have honestly not touched yet. lol.  Still nice to know I have it on hand I suppose...

Thermal imager might be my next big toy.  Kinda eyeing the E4, but don't want to spend that kind of money yet so just waiting it out.  It's one of those "nice to have" things that I might not really use all that often.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59:23 am »
Hi Dave, I'm glad you have a bunch of decent income streams under pinned by your YouTube channel. Your work is amazing and I'm sure if an idiot like me (who failed electronics math and switched to information systems) can make a great 6 figure salary (contracting in Melbourne is great), you'd surely be worth a hell of a lot more in your chosen profession!

Keep up the great work and the excellent EEVBlog products!  8)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2016, 05:25:03 am »
Dave, You are a very well educated and intelligent person.  I would love to work and learn from you.  You would make an impressive teacher or professor.  I give you mad props, for doing this video and am a bit confused as to why this would be a primary job when you are worth so much more in the electronic/ engineering field!

I'm not. I'm worth more doing what I am doing now.

I fit makes you and your family happy, then that is great, but you sir so much more valuable than the $40-50K a year!  I'm not 1/10th as smart or knowledgeable as you yet I make more than that.  I could not survive on $40K

I don't "survive" on $40k a year, watch my video again. I have many income sources, my total income is MUCH higher than that.
For example, I did a quarter of a million dollars in sales on my shopping cart in the last year, around 2000 products shipped. There is decent profit in that.

Why not do the YouTube part time and work that 120K a year job? 

Because that would suck, and I can earn more by doing what I'm doing now.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2016, 06:12:37 am »
I'm sure it's much more rewarding being your own boss too.  No need to rely on a company that could decide at any point to restructure or layoff etc... or simply make bad decisions you have no control over.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2016, 06:21:49 am »
The EEVblog multimeters are there as product placement though, he has to advertise the blog, the channel and the stuff that brings in his income somehow

Of course, I'd be a fool not to.
It also helps that it's one of the smallest meters I have, and has a big display, both handy for good camera framing.
If I didn't have my own brand meter I'd be using the BM257 for those reasons.

The blue case though is definitely a big difference, as there are almost no blue cases in the multimeter space. Stands out quite well, and the display certainly is very nice when you are recording it.

I probably do not support Dave with YT revenue, as I detest the video ads, but have the Patreon subscription.

Sadly, while Dave and I have roughly the same income figure, there is a currency difference, his is in AUD while mine is in ZAR.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf