Author Topic: What calculator do you use ?  (Read 174022 times)

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
Re: What calculator do you use ?
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
WP-34S ! I want one.

Me too. Seems it's also a free App!

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2015, 08:59:52 pm »
I wish HP would retool the old HP-29C or 41CX.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2015, 09:34:01 am »

HP retooled the 15C and then only as a limited edition
Most likely they will not do it for other models, because there is not much money to be made with calculators anymore.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline RJFreeman

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:33 am »
I was using the EC130, but she is getting a bit cranky nowadays,
so my Sharp EL506P has proven slightly more sophisticated for the more complex stuff and oddly it still has the same battery as when I purchased it in 1984.....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:04:40 am by RJFreeman »

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »

HP retooled the 15C and then only as a limited edition
Most likely they will not do it for other models, because there is not much money to be made with calculators anymore.

So true. I never loved the LCD display on the 15C. I do love the alpha display on the 41CX or any old LED 7 segment display.

Of course I now use my iPad as a big calculator, I've got an old TI-59, HP29C and 41CX and I love the keyboards but don't use them much.

Offline Ecklar

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2015, 03:35:27 pm »
I use HP41CX both physically and emulated on the Smart phone.  Also use HP12C again the real thing and emulated.  The emulations are great in that I can have my fav calculators with me no matter what the circumstances. 

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:10 pm »
I use HP41CX both physically and emulated on the Smart phone.  Also use HP12C again the real thing and emulated.  The emulations are great in that I can have my fav calculators with me no matter what the circumstances.

Problem with the emulations are you don't get that wonderful HP beveled keypad.  :(

I also use Smart BASIC on my iPad to test out simple routines quickly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:26:15 pm by BlueBill »

Offline MiataMuc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: March 05, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »
That's what I use at work  ;D

well, it does what it is build to do, and I like it a lot.

Yes, I'm an accountant, and yes, I use Excel too  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:41:54 pm by MiataMuc »

Offline teddy529

• Contributor
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
TI 89.... Sadly most my calculations needed can be done by Chrome.

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »
HP 28-S, used it nearly every day since my college days in the 80's...  Can't use a "normal" calculator any more.

Offline jhufford

• Contributor
« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2015, 09:29:58 pm »
Only a few years late, but still...

calculator apps fall short, touch screen is rubbish, give me actual buttons for doing quick calculations at the bench. My opinion is graphing calcs are dead. If I'm needing graphing, give me scilab or [insert favorite math package here].

TI-83 plus was a decent easy to use calculator (well, back when I was in highschool, I'd say it's suitable for highschool students, but probably not college), then I got an hp 49g+ in college, and let me tell ya, that thing was the pimp-slappin', feather-in-the-hat wearin', boss of the graphing calc game. Algebraic or RPN, at least twice as fast as the TI-89 or 92 (maybe 3 or 4 times faster). The real gem was the beautifully easy way to switch between rectangular and polar. I was able to breeze through the arithmetic drudgery of calculating phasors in circuits class, much faster than my friends with their ti-83's. But alas, that got donated to the ether when I lost it at a coffee shop a few years back..

Great thread though, I'm looking for a nice, small rpn calc for quick basic calculations. Quick and easy is key, using the pc or smart phone is just too cumbersome. I have lots of suggestions from here now. Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:42:24 pm by jhufford »

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2015, 10:07:26 pm »
I use a TI nspire. It's way overkill for what I need, but I got it for like $10 on ebay to replace my TI84 with broken keys.

Offline DBoulanger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: July 06, 2015, 12:53:55 am »
One of my first calculator was a Commodore.  I don't recall the model number but I do remember that it was possible to program it.  Nothing excessively fancy but for the early 70's, this was more than the regular and limited calculators available during these years.

Before college, we weren't allowed to use calculators at school, but sliding rules were accepted.  My dad was an engineer and he explained me how to use it.  Honestly, I was really good with that thing.  Today I'm looking at one and don't have the fuggiest idea how to use it.  It looks like some memory types are volatile, right ?

Early 80's I used my trusted TI-59 programmable calculator, with which you could store and recall programs and data using small magnetic cards.  I even bought the thermal printed on which the calculator was locked with a key.  What a nice toy that little thing was.  I used it for many many years.

In the early 2000's I got a TI-84 Plus.  Never really liked the display on it, but for the price I paid for it, it was more than OK.

The last one I bought, roughly 3 years ago, is a TI-Nspire CX CAS.  That little beast rocks.  Not lighting fast, but quite good for my needs.  If someone is knowledgeable enough with the LUA programming language, he/she can do really neat tricks.

Overall, the TI-84 Plus and the TI Nspire CX CAS are the two calculators I'm actually using for my daily needs.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:35 am »
Sharp EL-520W

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
Sharp EL-520W
It's 2 gen old version of the international Casio Fx82...
Think 20 year old tech...
The non educational version is now the 995:

That can be put in "linear mode" for those VPAM hatters ;)

Edit:
Casio still sells in Japan the 20 year old version!
casio.jp/dentaku/product_list/products/?m_no=338
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:43:16 am by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:42 am »
I've had a HP-22S for many years.  It's NOT RPN.  I don't know if they ever made a newer version to replace it.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
I've had a HP-22S for many years.  It's NOT RPN.  I don't know if they ever made a newer version to replace it.
I am pretty sure there was only one version of the HP-22S
Here is a picture of the one I have with serial number: 3038S06339

This one and the HP-32SII are always on my engineering table.
For some calculations I prefer the RPN and for others I take the normal route with the 22S.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2015, 11:03:37 am »
My first scientific calculator, used in HSC (Form 6, or now called year 12) in 1976. It was cheap at the time - today's equivalent of about $800. Quite collectible these days and very, very rare. Also sold under "Abatron 808". Apparently it was developed in 1973, which I doubt.

The Farad was unique to Australia because it was badge engineered by Farad Trading Pty Ptd in Balaclava in Melbourne, Australia but was actually made in Hong Kong.

Four buttons have discoloured over the years, but others have not. I don't know why.

The calculator came with two 80mAh nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries at a time when rechargeable batteries were almost unheard of. Those batteries lasted up until 1998, a remarkable 22 years.

I still use this calculator! Although I prefer RealCalc on the Android phone for general use.

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:01 am »
I use a TI Voyage 200, for both my school work and my hobby as well.  Has a big display for the long equations, or playing Snake or Tetris in Geometry while the Sub yaks away.  :-DD
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
Still using the same Sharp EL-512 that I got when I was in school (80's).

http://mycalcdb.free.fr/main.php?l=0&id=4330

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tomlut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #371 on: August 08, 2015, 03:26:40 am »
Another vote for the HP42s. I have a real one as well as an emulator on my phone and my PC.

It is fast (the later HP graphical calculators were dog slow), it has just the right level of automation and features for engineering calculations.

Free HP42s emulator: http://thomasokken.com/free42/

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:36:44 am by tomlut »
No I won't fix your TV for a carton of beer.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:52 am »
I opened up my 1976 calculator to fix a dodgy keyboard contact.  I found this this chip: A Rockwell A4001PC.

I cannot find any data on it on the web. I would love to know what goes on inside, what algorithms it used. Rockwell is useless... they have no data on a chip they produced in 1975. One reason to keep old databooks.

If anyone has a datasheet on this chip from an old Rockwell book. I would very much appreciate it.

From what I can gather, it is designed to drive the low level VFD display, does all the normal and trigonometric functions and key board decoding and probably de-bouncing.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: August 09, 2015, 11:23:09 am »
Made by Rockwell for many different manufacturers, including Casio, Olympia and others who were after a basic calculator. As you say, basically does everything including keyboard ( using the digit drives as scan lines), display driving and contains a 4 bit 4004 core, some ROM ( IIRC 8k), around 128 bytes of register ( shared RAM, stack and register space) and a high voltage ( 40V process) NMOS design, to do the display driving. Only thing it needs are a external set of supplies, -20V for the display and substrate bias, and around 6V for the logic, all provided by the DC/DC converter spread on the left side of the board.

Sorry, not in any of my databooks, but you might look at calaculatormuseum for other models using the same chip and see if you get any joy, though they were a mask ROM with slightly different code for each model, though in most cases the only difference in models was the extra keys being installed in the unit to provide the functions. You might want to look up how HP did the original HP calculators, they used a chipset that was second sourced by Rockwell and later consolidated into the single chip used here. Similar methods used for the operations in all of them.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »
Made by Rockwell for many different manufacturers...

Thanks! Very interesting info. I looked up the Intel 4004. The world's first microprocessor. Developed in 1971. This calculator was built in 1975, although the A4004PC was developed in 1973. A brilliant little chip with PROM on it, no external XTAL either. It appears the source code is non existent. It would be lovely to find that.

In those days, calculators had a wow factor. Even in uni we all had fun with our calculators. THey were like jewelry, to be admired. I preferred TI, rather than HP, but around 1977 some terrific calculators were born by these companies and they cost a mint.

These days no-one cares how a calculator works, especially the mobile phone gamer kiddies. No wow factor in it for them.

My calculator is 40 years old. The 2,300 transistors in the micro are still working strong. The capacitors are still OK.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf