Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1442814 times)

Offline rantonides

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:49 am »
Hi.  I'm an EE in Vancouver, Canada.  Watched every video here and listened to every Amp Hour.  I have a robotics company and mostly work in the bakery automation industry.

Cheers

Offline ChrisW

• Contributor
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:37 am »
G'day folks!

Been lurking around the forum after stumbling across one of Dave's videos on Youtube and I finally decided to hit the join button. I'm a noob to electronics, I know the basics but that is about it. Hoping to get started on some projects soon. I am also teaching myself to program since I would love to get into working with FPGA's and design my own retro video game flash carts so I can develop and play my own games. I know such devices already exist but I would prefer to design and build my own.

see ya round!

Offline harnon

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »
Hi Guys,
My name is Will and I'm originally from Melbourne but now living in Oxford and studying Motorsport Engineering- i.e. Mechanical.  (My first career choice and I didn't really get along).

I'm a big fan of Dave's blog which I only discovered a couple of months ago but now check several times a day in case something new has been posted!

I have a website if you are interested with some PIC tutorials (notes taken as I taught myself) and write ups of projects I am working on. 

Happy Australia Day! (At least it is here for 6 more hours or so!)

Will

Offline nrgeek

• Contributor
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:41 pm »
What is the web address ? you left that part out :)

Hi Guys,
My name is Will and I'm originally from Melbourne but now living in Oxford and studying Motorsport Engineering- i.e. Mechanical.  (My first career choice and I didn't really get along).

I'm a big fan of Dave's blog which I only discovered a couple of months ago but now check several times a day in case something new has been posted!

I have a website if you are interested with some PIC tutorials (notes taken as I taught myself) and write ups of projects I am working on. 

Happy Australia Day! (At least it is here for 6 more hours or so!)

Will
Geek by Birth, Linux user by Choice

Offline harnon

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2012, 06:45:21 pm »
Ah yeah, sorry...  :o  A long day, 6hrs of maths!   http://www.williamhart.info/

Offline dTor the Calibrator

« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2012, 02:10:39 am »
Hello everyone!  My name is Darrin.  I am a calibration technician for the MS Army National Guard.  I have been in the cal lab for almost eight years now and I really enjoy my work.  I have calibrated far too many different items to list here individually, but in general we do most types of signal/function/arbitrary waveform generators up to 26 GHz (and we have a new model that is being fielded that goes up to 40 GHz), modulation/audio analyzers, attenuators/power splitters/filters, various aviation VOR/ILS/Transponder test sets, multimeters, power meters, all types of physical and dimensional, radio test sets... it would be easier to list what I haven't calibrated.

The test standards I use: at my bench, I have an Agilent E4448A & N1911 (MMR setup) with avionics measurement software, HP 3458 DMM, Agilent E4407 (don't use it too much anymore), Agilent infiniium OS-303 scope (soon to be replaced), Fluke 9640A, Anritsu 68369A/NV, IFR 2023B sig gen, LeCroy 9210 pulse gen, Fluke 5720A & 5725 calibrator and amp, Fluke 5820A oscope calibrator, Ophir RF 100W RF amplifier (forgot the model), Bird 4421 power meter.

We also have other benches that are more specialized in their tasking (meter bench, radio test set bench, avionics bench, etc.).  My primary focus is on sig gens, attenuators, microwatt meters, spectrum analyzers, and other electronic test equipment.
Precision Measurement Equipment Calibrator - MS Army National Guard

Have a question about calibration?  PM me and I'll try to help you.

Offline MikeT

« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »
Hello I'm Mike From Wales, UK. I was interested in electronics & embedded controllers some years ago and now started to get back into doing and learning. Nice to see such a lot of friendly people on a really good forum in pursuit of the same interests.

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #507 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm in my final year of a mechatronic engineering degree, but before that, a hobbiest of electronics for quite some time. I think I've been following EEVBlog since about episode 20 - seemed about time I joined up!

Anyway, in reading these boards for a few months, there's definitely some quality info and knowledgeable people around these parts. Good work Dave, et al.

:)

PS: Is this capture verification thing going to happen for every post? Or just while I'm new?  :-\
Edit: Seems to be gone now. Woo.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:19:59 am by electrode »

Offline BlinkY

• Contributor
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
« Reply #508 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:44 pm »
I might as well get my name here, I probably won't post all that much as I am new to electronics, though I know some basic information, and only usually read about it at the moment but aim to get more into it when I get a new job (redundant carpenter :/) and take it to a creating level with PCB's .
So my name is Martin I am from the Oxford (uk) but live in South Wales (uk). I'm a 24 year old qualified carpenter who is aiming to further his career by going to university to study information security to become a network administrator.
Though I haven't flown in a while I do fly R/C helicopters (nitro and lipos), so I guess that is as close to electronics as I am at the moment it does involve, at times, soldering lol :).
I do love electronics and envy any one working in it as a full time occupation. Luckily I have two uncles who both work or have worked within the electronic industry so I get to chat to them frequently.

Thank you for reading :).

Offline tbutton

« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »
I am an engineer from The Russian Federation with some time on my hands.
I have worked in the Aerospace industries.

Offline r0g3r

« Reply #510 on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:52 pm »
Hi all
My name is Roger
I love low power electronics stuff.
My specialtys are:
solar systems, energy harvesting, smd step up/down circuits, cnc engrave, visual basic programming and mutch more.
Special hi to Dave for making all the nice vids.
Cu l8ter  8)

roger
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:30:06 pm by r0g3r »

Offline Shocked

« Reply #511 on: February 02, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »
Hi, My name is Daryl and I am from Canada. I have worked in IT for many years and have taken up an interest in electronics and am currently trying to outfit a home lab.

I have enjoyed watching many of Dave's videos and they have been very helpful for me in product selection for my lab. Great work Dave!

Offline pikuorguk

• Taking stuff apart is fun
« Reply #512 on: February 07, 2012, 10:46:40 pm »
I'm James. I mostly watch the blog on YouTube and randomly comment in there. By day I teach kids ICT, by night I write software and take electronics to bits. I've been merrily voiding warranties since I was old enough to work out that the insides of gadgets are much more interesting than the outsides. I also collect retro computers.

I used to be an outdoor activity instructor in a past life and used to do rock climbing and the English equivalent of canyoneering, which is a rather cold thing to do in the UK.

My electronics knowledge tends to be functional - I can repair things that go 'pop' (like the PSU in my BBC Micro). One day they'll invent more hours in the day and I'll be able to sit down and spend time learning all the theory too ;-)

Offline pr0gg3d

« Reply #513 on: February 08, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »
Hi guys, i'm very happy to join this forum. The EEVBlog is absolutely amazing!

I hope to share ideas, projects, doubt and experiences with you all, and keeping this forum live.

See you soon!

Offline BlinkY

• Contributor
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
« Reply #514 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »
I'm James. I mostly watch the blog on YouTube and randomly comment in there. By day I teach kids ICT, by night I write software and take electronics to bits. I've been merrily voiding warranties since I was old enough to work out that the insides of gadgets are much more interesting than the outsides. I also collect retro computers.

I used to be an outdoor activity instructor in a past life and used to do rock climbing and the English equivalent of canyoneering, which is a rather cold thing to do in the UK.

My electronics knowledge tends to be functional - I can repair things that go 'pop' (like the PSU in my BBC Micro). One day they'll invent more hours in the day and I'll be able to sit down and spend time learning all the theory too ;-)

Fasinating post James. What language do you write in by the way. I have recently started c++ as my first. I tried VB but it doesn't seem the most used now.

Offline Baliszoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #515 on: February 09, 2012, 09:36:47 am »
Hello!

My name is Balazs (Brian) Farkas, I am 37 at the moment, living in Budapest, Hungary (Europe). I supposed to be a software engineer, working mainly on low level devices (DSPs and uControllers) using assembly language exclusively. I am also doing the hardware work (engineering, prototyping) for all my stuff. The project i am actually working on is a complete automotive engine management system.

Offline plentyngood

« Reply #516 on: February 10, 2012, 02:38:06 am »
Hi,

My name's Kevin. I have lived in Ecuador the last six years and just recently got interested in microcontrollers. All the gear I have is the gear Dave hates...cheap! I'm just a hobbiest but like the forum for talk on microcontrollers and measurement accuracy.

Come visit!

Offline nickds1

• Contributor
« Reply #517 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »
Hi - Name's Nick - degree is in EE a while back, but I do maths & stuff for finance companies as a day job. Still do electronics stuff as a hobby - design amps etc. for friends and have a long standing interest in cold-cathode display devices - I run the neonixie-l google group (drop in and see us - lots of EEs/artists with interests in vintage displays there). Put a photo of part of my bench in the workbench thread...

Offline Vredstein

• Contributor
« Reply #518 on: February 12, 2012, 06:29:32 am »
I'm a bicycle mechanic from Arizona. Know nothing about electronics, but it seems like a good outlet for my desire to find out how things work, why some things don't work, and how to make something work better. Don't even own a breadboard yet. Tools and gadgets get me hard and this place is an orgy.
If this post shows up, it means I managed to get the "Verification" math question correct, and there might be hope for me.

Offline Mashpriborintorg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #519 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »
Hi, I'm Sylvain, I have a electronics school background, but it was years ago, and sadly job opportunities took me away from doing electronics for a living. My main hobbies are collecting exotic electronic stuff, from avionics to pacemakers, with a special attract for eastern electronics. Google for "flickr mashpriborintorg" to find my photostream, it has more than 1000 photos of more or less unusual electronic stuff. An other hobby is (of course...) tinkering and taking appart things , but needless to say I'm now fed up with tinkering crappy consumer electronics (I've done dozens of computers, tvs, vcrs, printers, laptops, cameras, microwaves and so on....), so I try to get more interesting stuff to play with. One piece at a time, I'm also trying to put together a small lab, in order to be able to play more, review yhe basics and try to fix more and more stuff.

Offline Majorstrain

• Contributor
« Reply #520 on: February 14, 2012, 06:38:59 am »
Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm an electronics and strain gauge tech here in Perth, Western Australia working for one of the universities.
Hobby wise, I'm into CNC and manual machining as well as RC aircraft.
Cheers,
Phil

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:48 am »
Gooday Phil,
West Oz Rules!
VK6ZGO

Offline cowboy303

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #522 on: February 14, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »
I'm a Cattle, Goat, Chicken, farmer in South East Missouri.
Love electronics but don't new much about them.  Was researching on youtube and ran  into Dave watched 20+ hours of him then thought I'd look at the eevblog and found you guys.  found all sorts of info and now thanks to Dave and you I'm working on a power Supply(something I wouldn't have touch with a ten foot pole before). :)

Offline oddeohead

• Contributor
« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:19 am »
Hi everyone and Dave of course! I have been lurking for eons and have finally decided to register! I really hope to meet some great people who share in the love of electronics.
My primary field is audio and I also design custom switching systems for pro and not so pro musicians.
Have a great day!
Jeff

Offline rkoval

• Contributor
« Reply #524 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:00 am »
Hello everyone,

My name is Richard.  I live in Connecticut/USA.  I am a chemist by day that repairs scientific equipment for a large instrument company.  After hours I love to work on electronics, programming and science related things. I've been doing "Teardowns" since I was a kid. Love seeing it covered here.

Plan on building up Dave's Version 1 power supply.  Really excited about it.  Looking forward to other build videos.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf