Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3445119 times)

wandows, Feliciano, indman, NikolaSoft, Fuzzy Star and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:28 am »
I've read quite a bit about this project and am in the early stages of adapting it with a few minor modifications.  For the most part, most of what I plan will remain the same, but I chose to use an ATMega1284p so that I could do a few other things with it.

Perfect timing :-) Karl-Heinz has started to work on an  ATmega324/644/1284 version.

That's good to hear.  I would be more-than-willing to contribute in any way that I can.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
an interesting twist would be to make an arduino-shield that has all the hardware other than the mcu.

Cannot find more about this project, seems like website is down:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-esr-lcr-transistor-npn-pnp-mosfet-meter/msg234473/#msg234473

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:35 am »
I really want to get an esr meter that can test in circuit
and also a transistor tester/semiconductor tester

but there is so many versions of these now i dont know what to get lol

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:39 pm »
I really want to get an esr meter that can test in circuit
and also a transistor tester/semiconductor tester

The ESR in-circuit measurement was added in the firmware versions 1.10k and 1.12m . We (Karl-Heinz and myself) encourage everyone to give us feedback about the in-circuit ESR feature.

but there is so many versions of these now i dont know what to get lol

It's like standing in front of the shelves full of detergents in the super market :-) You can DIY or buy a clone. My recommendations are ATmega328 and a classic text based LCD module. Some clones come with a nice box but most lack the hardware options.

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice madires :)

I would like to buy one I am not good enough with electronics yet to make one

which would you say was the best out of the all in one ebay modules ?
i have a limit of about £30

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
which would you say was the best out of the all in one ebay modules ?
i have a limit of about £30

There isn't any particular clone which is the best. Select the one which suits you most (test pads / textool socket / probe leads or whatever you prefer). Another thing to watch out for is the ISP header (unpopulated in most cases) for flashing new firmware.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2014, 08:21:56 am »
Anyone interested in the bare boards. For the cost of an envelope and international stamp....
Yes, I am interested. I have been following this thread for ages now. The additional input protection along with the new support for in circuit ESR testing would make one very useful.
Are you going to design it through hole and/or SMT?

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
Anyone interested in the bare boards. For the cost of an envelope and international stamp....

I'm intrested, too.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2014, 09:47:21 am »

Vincent, I'm in, thanks !  :-+

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:24 am »
Would be very interrested!
Will it use the 328 or an bigger mcu?, ref this:

I've read quite a bit about this project and am in the early stages of adapting it with a few minor modifications.  For the most part, most of what I plan will remain the same, but I chose to use an ATMega1284p so that I could do a few other things with it.

Perfect timing :-) Karl-Heinz has started to work on an  ATmega324/644/1284 version.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:52 am »
Yes please! I was going to make one myself, but that will take ages considering the rate at which I'm currently getting things done.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2014, 01:45:13 pm »
I having wanting to build one of these also , but kinda waiting for one design settles , with some of the newer ideas coming on now , I just need to start ;)
So if you have room , put me on the list also ?
Thanks
John

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:43 pm »
I want to make a nice board for these.
Count me in for a couple.

From what I have seen a larger memory, decent resistors, programming header, crystal, battery, external power, backlighting and zif socket are all highly desirable features. As Madires mentioned going with a non standard display can add complexity for no benefit.
I highly recommend going with the display I have pictured, not only are they cheap, easy to source and replace but they look great.

I think the zif socket outside the enclosure works well also like a eprom programmer. Then insert a small pcb into the zif socket for smd devices, or wires for probes etc. Here is my idea I was thinking of, being that you can easily detach the display and it doesn't interfere with the main board.
I was going to make a modular sub board with the zif socket but later decided mounting everything from the zif is better.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »
From what I have seen a larger memory, decent resistors, programming header, crystal, battery, external power, backlighting and zif socket are all highly desirable features.

And a bunch of options:
- PWM backlight (just hardware)
- 2.5V voltage reference (if not using a MCP1702 or something similar as voltage regulator)
- protection relay (for discharging caps)
- high voltage Zeners (up to 50V DC, boost converter, requires 2 dedicated test pins)
- frequency counter (extra input)

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2014, 05:50:35 am »

How about local pickup? Or just drop it in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline jackryan315

« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:57 am »

count me in for a board or two.

Offline amtpdb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:15 am »
What is the cost of a board and shipping to San Bernardino. What would you think the total cost of a completed board would be? When would this happen and when would you have a picture of a completed board?
Thanks

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2014, 03:50:22 am »
I think we should create a new thread about fe's new board so as not to derail this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #393 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:47 am »
I'm just a state over :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:49 am »
Please use private mail for your "me too"!

Offline vindoline

• Supporter
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:04 pm »
Hi Madires,

I've finally gotten around to finishing up my version of this great "transistor tester" project. I've flashed your latest firmware (1.12m) and the hardware/software seem to be working fine! The only components that I feel I can measure with any real accuracy/precision are resistors. I used a series of 1% metal film resistors from 1R to 1M, measured them with 2 different Fluke DMM's and then the new "transistor tester" The unit is remarkably accurate and agrees with the Flukes between 10R and 1M. Below 10 ohms the unit reads 5-10% high.

My question is about the inductance measurement. For values of about 100 uH and below, the unit identifies the part as a low value resistor, not inductor. For higher value inductors, the measured value reads low (compared to the "nominal value" of the parts). I don't have another LCR meter to verify the actual inductance with, so the readings may actually be just fine. In any event, could you comment on the general measurement range and accuracy of the inductance measurement? Thanks!

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »
i am still amazed at the capabilities of this project. it is by far my most useful piece of test equipment. working with geiger counter designs it has proven a huge time saver checking hv transistors, hv caps, and inductors to see if they are still alive (usually NOT! lol).

even my cheap $1 harbor freight dvms do pretty good with semiconductors so one thing i would love to improve is ability to measure lower value inductance and caps. even if it involves some minor hardware changes. i plan to dig into that pdf to get more up to speed on the theory but could also use some hints as to current ranges and how to improve lower value measurements.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: April 25, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
For values of about 100 uH and below, the unit identifies the part as a low value resistor, not inductor.

An inductor with infinite inductance is a resistor.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2014, 05:45:43 pm »
I used a series of 1% metal film resistors from 1R to 1M, measured them with 2 different Fluke DMM's and then the new "transistor tester" The unit is remarkably accurate and agrees with the Flukes between 10R and 1M. Below 10 ohms the unit reads 5-10% high.

That make sense since an additional measurement method is used for resistors less than 10 Ohms. Does anyone else also got those high values for resistors < 10 Ohms? I'm testing the firmware with 3-4 different testers to detect any issues, but sometimes there are still some surprises.

My question is about the inductance measurement. For values of about 100 uH and below, the unit identifies the part as a low value resistor, not inductor. For higher value inductors, the measured value reads low (compared to the "nominal value" of the parts). I don't have another LCR meter to verify the actual inductance with, so the readings may actually be just fine. In any event, could you comment on the general measurement range and accuracy of the inductance measurement? Thanks!

The inductance measurement is quite limited by the maximum test current and the method used. It even runs the ATmega out-of-spec for some µs for low inductances. The supported range is roughly 100µH up to 1H and the resistance has to be less than 2kOhms. With a clock rate of 16MHz you'll get a small improvement (factor 2). Therefore the inductance measurement is just for checking the order of magnitude and not for measuring the exact value. Any LCR meter will give you more precise results.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: April 25, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »
even my cheap $1 harbor freight dvms do pretty good with semiconductors so one thing i would love to improve is ability to measure lower value inductance and caps. even if it involves some minor hardware changes. i plan to dig into that pdf to get more up to speed on the theory but could also use some hints as to current ranges and how to improve lower value measurements.

The k-firmware goes down to 30pF and the m-firmware down to 5pF. With the current hardware design and the implied measurement methods low value measurements aren't really feasable. The oscillator method (frequency counter) or the AC generator method (U and I) are suited much better for that purpose. That's something for a Tester+ ;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf