Author Topic: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review  (Read 1441887 times)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #411 - MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer Review
« Reply #875 on: March 14, 2016, 05:17:47 pm »
OTP memories are based on EPROM technology, and displaced earlier (1970s) bipolar and antifuse PROMs. All OTP is, is an EPROM device in a plastic package. So OTP parts exist in the same series and datasheets as EPROM parts, with a different suffix.
OTP parts are NOT alternatives to EEPROM parts, that is a completely different technology.

Offline hideehoo2

« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »
Has anyone found a solution for programming Lattice GAL22V10B chips?  I tried version 6.5 of the MiniPro software and it still incorrectly handles this chips, with the verify error at address 32.

I've heard the old Genius 540 from Stager works correctly, so I'm assuming the newer VS4000 from them also works, but there hasn't been a software update for the new line since early 2014 so that's not encouraging for future support (Win10, etc.).

http://www.stg51.com/english/product.asp

Offline crx991

• Contributor
« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2016, 06:37:00 pm »
Has anyone found a solution for programming Lattice GAL22V10B chips?  I tried version 6.5 of the MiniPro software and it still incorrectly handles this chips, with the verify error at address 32.

I've heard the old Genius 540 from Stager works correctly, so I'm assuming the newer VS4000 from them also works, but there hasn't been a software update for the new line since early 2014 so that's not encouraging for future support (Win10, etc.).

Why you don't contact autoelectric?
Mail address is 532007590@qq.com (It works, they answered me)
Wrote them in english and chinese (use google translate, there's no problem)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2016, 06:49:22 pm »
OTP memories are based on EPROM technology, and displaced earlier (1970s) bipolar and antifuse PROMs. All OTP is, is an EPROM device in a plastic package. So OTP parts exist in the same series and datasheets as EPROM parts, with a different suffix.
OTP parts are NOT alternatives to EEPROM parts, that is a completely different technology.

Hmm... So if I took a dremel to the face of my PLCC32 ROMs exposing the die, I could then erase them and reprogram? I think this is worthy of experiment  :-+

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #879 on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
Only if you avoid the bond wires in there as well.

You might have to go up to Ian and leave them in his new Xray machine for a few weeks of gentle soft radiation to knock those pesky electrons back into the ground state. You do get a flash eraser, wonder just how opaque that package actually is, enough light and it might allow enough through for erasure, though it might also be enough to burn the epoxy off.

Offline hideehoo2

« Reply #880 on: April 16, 2016, 05:34:00 am »

Why you don't contact autoelectric?
Mail address is 532007590@qq.com (It works, they answered me)
Wrote them in english and chinese (use google translate, there's no problem)

Never heard back from autoelectric via email.  Ended up ordering the VS4000 for $45 during the last sale on Aliexpress.  Showed up today and I can confirm is worked fine programming the Lattice GAL22V10B's that failed in my TL866CS.

Offline albaben

• Contributor
« Reply #881 on: April 19, 2016, 07:45:45 am »
while I have a question that maybe you look stupid, or is the same in programming with ATMEGA644PA ATMEGA644PV? TL866A programmer ask because this has not in the list ATMEGA644PV. I tried to read the command atmega644pv PA and the perfect read. but we exhale programming error and now does not read all the ATMEGA 644pv ID. issued 00 00 00. a rise in this region ATMEGA 644pv or dies? can I program with this programmer when we did not list atmega644pv? Next programmer or should I wait or perhaps update this program can enter and ATMEGA 644pv. Thank you to everyone for the contribution you give!

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #882 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:10 am »

Hmm... So if I took a dremel to the face of my PLCC32 ROMs exposing the die, I could then erase them and reprogram? I think this is worthy of experiment  :-+

X-ray machine does it without Dremeling..

Offline jensma

• I need coffee!
« Reply #883 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:50 am »
Hey guys! I'm a long time watcher and fan and just registered.

I've got a problem with my tl866c, maybe you guys have some idea :D

I'm trying to write to a 29L3211MC by Macronix. The minipro software doesn't list that IC at all. I've stacked some adapter and I'm not even able to read the chips ID :/

Is there any way to use the tl866c for this chip? Maybe by selecting an alternative, yet pin and voltage compatible chip from the list?

Cheers, thanks and have a good one!

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #884 on: April 22, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
I'm trying to write to a 29L3211MC by Macronix. The minipro software doesn't list that IC at all.
Even Macronix doesn't list that IC at all. My bet is that it's too old (ca 2001) to be worth supporting.
If it's any consolation, I have a SOFI SP16 programmer that doesn't list it either.
Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

Offline jensma

• I need coffee!
« Reply #885 on: April 22, 2016, 11:57:52 am »
Bummer :(

The GQ-4X seems to be somewhat compatible with that particular chip: http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5196

Well, "somewhat" :/

Offline Mikek400

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #886 on: April 24, 2016, 10:54:22 am »
Apparently there are counterfeit units for sale on Aliexpress that self destruct when you use the latest software from Autoelectric's site. It came with a link to some strange site on a sticker in the box which I didn't use. First suspicion that it was fake.

They look real in every way. Come in the same box, even the board inside looks the same as the one Dave showed in the blog.  One small difference, there was no sticker on the the bottom of the unit.

I got mine and installed the software. It connected and asked to upgrade the firmware. Upgraded and it gave an error then said

"This programmer is a piracy! the illegal codes have been deleted! Please use genuine products, then reinstall the programmer's software."  Chinglish translation.  This is a counterfeit unit and therefore we have deleted the firmware.  Screw you don't buy fake programmers.

It bricked my programmer and I had only had it 3 minutes.  After a bit of a hassle I fixed it. Details are in this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/minipro-tl866-firmware-upgraded-and-broken-fake-device/

Anyhow, trying to get my money back from the seller now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:59:12 am by Mikek400 »

The following users thanked this post: jensma

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #887 on: April 24, 2016, 02:48:58 pm »
Apparently there are counterfeit units for sale on Aliexpress

Aliexpress is surprisingly good when it comes to counterfeits - report it and you will get your money back without sending back bad product.
Plenty of people play a game of buy 128GB pendrive, receive 4GB one for free.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: jensma

Offline jensma

• I need coffee!
« Reply #888 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:56 pm »
Apparently there are counterfeit units for sale on Aliexpress that self destruct when you use the latest software from Autoelectric's site. It came with a link to some strange site on a sticker in the box which I didn't use. First suspicion that it was fake.

Thanks for sharing your findings! I just checked my device, it has a silver sticker at the bottom. Seems like I'm safe. Good luck receiving your refund!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #889 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:30 am »
Is it really a counterfeit or a false positive? If the actual PCBs are the same - with bread and butter PIC and jelly bean stuff - and you managed to recover the unit with a parallel programming cable - does it now work with the latest firmwares?

I know the higher pin count accessories for the TL866 are perhaps more closely guarded secrets, but the base unit?

I'm just off to upgrade my firmware and see if it bricks now, because I got my 866 + a pile of bits for a very cheap price, so it must be fake... Of course I did the CS to A upgrade too :-//

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #890 on: April 25, 2016, 06:02:42 am »
Is it really a counterfeit or a false positive? If the actual PCBs are the same - with bread and butter PIC and jelly bean stuff - and you managed to recover the unit with a parallel programming cable - does it now work with the latest firmwares?

I know the higher pin count accessories for the TL866 are perhaps more closely guarded secrets, but the base unit?

I'm just off to upgrade my firmware and see if it bricks now, because I got my 866 + a pile of bits for a very cheap price, so it must be fake... Of course I did the CS to A upgrade too :-//

I suspect cloner loaded all units with one firmware containing same serial number, autoelectric discovered fakes and blacklisted that particular sn

Offline Mikek400

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #891 on: April 25, 2016, 11:16:37 am »
Yeah, I think its S/N based.

Honestly, before buying this I didn't even think about there being clone units of such a cheap programmer..  :o

I'm sure its a clone.. Why else would there be no sticker and have a link to some chinese file uploading site to get the software. LOL

Also the box is a little different than the original I think.  Will post pics of the board for those interested.

Offline Votality

• Contributor
« Reply #892 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:03 am »
Yeah, I think its S/N based.

Honestly, before buying this I didn't even think about there being clone units of such a cheap programmer..  :o

I'm sure its a clone.. Why else would there be no sticker and have a link to some chinese file uploading site to get the software. LOL

Also the box is a little different than the original I think.  Will post pics of the board for those interested.

Well its kind of amusing the Chinese copying their own countries gear for a change. 

Offline Mikek400

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #893 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:18 am »
Pictures of clone unit.  I added the header to J1 to reprogram it. It was not included.

The link to the suspicious software is http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c1cHPeg

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:52:28 pm by Mikek400 »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #894 on: April 25, 2016, 03:35:25 pm »
I had a look at my PCBs and had a laugh that the cloner is even more fastidious at hiding the top secret PIC than Autoelectric. It looks like they have lasered the marking off vs mine which appears to be scrubbed using a rotary tool. A quick look and the only other difference I see is the "XG Design 2003" text is 2004 on mine.

I had a look at the dodgy firmware at http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c1cHPeg and did a diff on the files. It appears to be version 6.10, the differences being:

All the images in the img folder have been doctored to remove "FOR TL866 PROGRAMMER" and the AUTOELECTRIC logos and website references.
There are some small patched binary changes to MiniPro.exe. config.dat appears to be set to a different default device, and language.dat is present and default to Chinese. No sign of anything malware.
The patch to the MiniPro.exe appears to be to disable the Help, About and Upgrade menu options. Also the MiniProHelp.chm has not been provided. Both of these of course contain references to Autoelectric.

Mike, when you recovered the dodgy TL866 using radiomanV's tools have you got it working with the official 6.50 version? Perhaps by changing the serial number? Of course upgrading it to an A too ;)

Offline Mikek400

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #895 on: April 25, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »
I had a look at my PCBs and had a laugh that the cloner is even more fastidious at hiding the top secret PIC than Autoelectric. It looks like they have lasered the marking off vs mine which appears to be scrubbed using a rotary tool. A quick look and the only other difference I see is the "XG Design 2003" text is 2004 on mine.

I had a look at the dodgy firmware at http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c1cHPeg and did a diff on the files. It appears to be version 6.10, the differences being:

All the images in the img folder have been doctored to remove "FOR TL866 PROGRAMMER" and the AUTOELECTRIC logos and website references.
There are some small patched binary changes to MiniPro.exe. config.dat appears to be set to a different default device, and language.dat is present and default to Chinese. No sign of anything malware.
The patch to the MiniPro.exe appears to be to disable the Help, About and Upgrade menu options. Also the MiniProHelp.chm has not been provided. Both of these of course contain references to Autoelectric.

Mike, when you recovered the dodgy TL866 using Radioman's tools have you got it working with the official 6.50 version Perhaps by changing the serial number? Of course upgrading it to an A too ;)

Yes I got it working with Radioman's tools he made and it is now working with the official 6.5v of the software. Upgraded it to A version too but haven't bought a header yet for ICSP yet. There was no serial number because Autoelectric's software deleted the firmware from the device and the serial is in the firmware. I used the random serial function on Radioman's software.

By the way, Thank you Radioman! :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:49:45 pm by Mikek400 »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #896 on: April 25, 2016, 06:24:03 pm »
I noticed with the official MiniPro application that the only provided help files are in Chinese even if you choose the English language option. Somebody went to the effort of running the HTML Help .chm file through google translate and recompiling it, so at least a Chinglish version is available. See here on AtariAge

An annoying security thing with .chm files on recent Windows versions - You will likely end up with the index in the left pane and an empty right pane when viewing it. To fix this you have to go to the .chm file in explorer, right click, properties and click the Unblock checkbox. This one catches out so many people, including many of those in the AtariAge thread :-+

There's another one on MHHAUTO forums that someone has even went to the trouble of including English screenshots, but the text formatting is kinda crap and I think it's from an earlier version of the help. Not sure which Chinglish translation is the better one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:29:42 pm by Macbeth »

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #897 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:43 am »
Now with a cloner, and if the sale stops coming in, this programmer shall be abandoned.  And it shall become another brick in my cabinet. 

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #898 on: April 27, 2016, 03:02:02 pm »
Now with a cloner, and if the sale stops coming in, this programmer shall be abandoned.  And it shall become another brick in my cabinet.

Whole premise of a programmer with logic hidden in a black lasered/grinded over markings box is flawed.
Programmer should be open hardware bitbanging platform with high amount of configurable logic level voltage GPIOs + open source application.

if you look at TL866 its just a shift register with a bunch of latches and variable logic level power supply. Thats all there is to it, add USB microcontroller with 8-10 pins to control this mess and hardware is done.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #899 on: April 29, 2016, 01:16:59 am »
Anyone know why Atmel series AT89Cxx are not listed? Philips, Intel, SST, seem to have equivalent series listed.
Thanks in advance!

Well, not quite...  the supported chip list does show some AT89C51xxx but I confirmed I have an AT89C51ED1 which is not on the list, and nothing else will program it either. TL866 is unable to do it. Must go to ICS type programming. TL866A??? But then what chip ID to use???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf