Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 511746 times)

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:16 am »
Is there someplace that has a nice history of fluke dmms and info? Like an online museum or so?

List of Flukes Multimeters and other Fluke stuff.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_treffer.cfm?sModus=1&sort=year&Page=1

http://www.radiomuseum.org/
And search for fluke.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:50:02 am by Kryoclasm »
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2013, 05:36:48 am »
Link is bad

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2013, 05:50:16 am »
Thanks, modified post.
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline billclay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »
A partial collection of my DMM's :)

Check out that PROVA 803, with not one but TWO function knobs, one for each channel!  I've never seen that before.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:17:10 pm by billclay »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2013, 08:22:45 pm »
13 is an unlucky number, you should send one to Dave.......

Offline lnx64

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: November 10, 2013, 08:38:55 pm »
Don't laugh guys, it's all I can afford right now.  I am eyeing an Agilent or a Fluke, once I get some income..

It says it's automotive, but that's just because it has an inductor for spark plug wires to show RPM's and dwell angles.  It actually works decent, compared to a friends fluke, it was actually pretty spot on which surprised me.  But for voltages above 600v, I wouldn't trust it.  It says CAT II 600v, then says it handle 750v AC and 1000v DC?  Um, ok..  lol

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:16 pm »
Well, I just ordered a  Fluke 87V.   :-DMM

Been wanting one for a few years and after being spoiled in the Air Force, always having a Fluke in my tool box. Now I need to find an affordable Hall Effect DC ammeter clamp.

I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #532 on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:19 am »
Great choice sir. Out of the large number of flukes that I have I have never bought an 87v yet. It's on my list tho...

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #533 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »
A partial collection of my DMM's :)

Check out that PROVA 803, with not one but TWO function knobs, one for each channel!  I've never seen that before.

There was a discussion/teardown thread on the PROVA DMM's a while ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/prova-903-discussion/
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline Six_Shooter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2013, 05:24:26 am »
Here is most of my collection, there's also a cheap analog meter that I'm not sure even works anymore that I am not including and I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find at least one more.

I've had the Fluke the longest, it was old when I got it, 12 years ago or so, it's been well (ab)used.

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
To Infinity...and Beyond!
« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
Two differential voltmeters: the Fluke 887A (AC/DC) and Fluke 895A (DC only).

Both are specified at 25ppm accuracy on DC ranges. The difference is the 895A has infinite input impedance at balance on all ranges, whereas the 887A presents 10M input impedance on the 100V and 1000V ranges.

The pictures demonstrate the difference. The 895A (on the right) is measuring a 10V voltage source directly. The 887A (on the left) is measuring the same voltage source, but in series with a nominal 10M resistor.

On the 10V range, they measure the same (well, 10.00035 on the 887A and 10.00000 on the 895A -- that's as close as I could match them during calibration).

On the 100V range, however, the 887A reads 4.9978 -- it's neatly divided the voltage in half with the 10M series resistor.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:36:35 pm by JuiceKing »

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »
This thread is quite interesting indeed.  Some truly amazing pieces of equipment out there, and it's nice to see lots of it still in service too!

It's funny seeing the juxtaposition of vintage Flukes and Keithleys amongst dime-a-dozen chinese specials, too!

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2013, 11:27:41 pm »
Those are two interesting pieces of equiptment. I assume you have them referenced to an external source, or do they have their own intetnal one. Is the ac/dc a thermal rms converter.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #538 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:23 am »
Those are two interesting pieces of equiptment. I assume you have them referenced to an external source, or do they have their own intetnal one. Is the ac/dc a thermal rms converter.

Both contain temp-compensated zener diodes for internal reference voltages. The DC-only version has inputs on the back so you can connect an external reference to the KV divider inside. The AC/DC version is average responding. There's yet another model (the 931A/B) that measures RMS using a thermal converter.

All of these are plentiful on eBay, with gigantic price gaps between the clean/tested ones and the junky ones that need a bath and a tune up.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #539 on: November 19, 2013, 03:08:52 am »
I guess it's about time I made a contribution to this thread.  I won't bore you with the gray-and-yellow meters around here.  But here are some items from Mr. Modemhead's Multimeter Museum.

Back row: Weston 7320, Weston 6100 "Roadrunner", Beckman 3020
Front row: Fluke 8020A, Beckman RMS225

All are made in USA circa 1980 except for the RMS225, which is more like 1990-ish.  I couldn't afford these when they were new, so they are all recent acquisitions.  The 8020A and 3020 required repairs, but all are functional.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2013, 03:15:25 am »
... I won't bore you with the gray-and-yellow meters around here. 

I wouldn't mind seeing those gray & yellow meters of yours, especially ones with histories where you fixed them.  :-+

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: November 19, 2013, 03:17:03 am »
What's with the Weston? Looks just like the Fluke. Great condition. They all look like they were made yesterday!

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #542 on: November 19, 2013, 01:24:10 pm »
What's with the Weston? Looks just like the Fluke.
I asked Dave Taylor (drtaylor) who originated that side pushbutton design and he was of the opinion that Fluke did.  The Weston is no cheap clone though. Take a look inside.  Awesome hand-drawn PCB layout. When I hold it to my ear I hear disco music.

I wouldn't mind seeing those gray & yellow meters of yours, especially ones with histories where you fixed them.  :-+
I made a little gray and yellow sculpture for you.  A few needed repairs, but a bottle of IPA and some fusible resistors takes care of most problems.  I fibbed earlier, I did save my pennies and buy the leftmost 87 around 1990. With an updated LCD and white backlight, it's still my favorite meter.

Offline poida_pie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: November 19, 2013, 10:31:56 pm »
Excellent to see your contribution to this thread Mr Modemhead.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:52 pm »
*snip
That is rather interesting, I forgot that average responding voltmeters can be that accurate by themselves. Then I remembered that they were almost neck and neck with your average thermal rms converter in a high end multimeter(70/80's vintage.) It is rather interesting that it seems like they used a possibly dual matched diode for this. To bad I cannot find any information on the diodes. My average responding voltmeter (Ballantine 323-07) utilizes 2 matched back diode(unitunnnel) true rf stuff these days.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #545 on: November 20, 2013, 02:18:47 am »
I made a little gray and yellow sculpture for you.  A few needed repairs, but a bottle of IPA and some fusible resistors takes care of most problems.  I fibbed earlier, I did save my pennies and buy the leftmost 87 around 1990. With an updated LCD and white backlight, it's still my favorite meter.

Thanks for the DMM artwork.  :-DD

Are they all bought used and broken ? Really, from the photo, they're all look so bling & shiny.

Fusible resistors ? Whats that for ?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #546 on: November 20, 2013, 02:50:14 am »
Just the stacked-up ones (and the second 87) in that shot were advertised as 'broken', but when half of them end up only having dead batteries, it's not too much of an achievement to get them going again. :)  And the ones that look the least abused physically always have the best odds of success, no surprise there.

Fusible resistors open up when too much power is dissipated, preventing further damage. You will find at least one in just about every Fluke design.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #547 on: November 20, 2013, 03:32:16 am »
I know for sure who to consult 1st, when I scored a cheap, heavily abused & broken Fluke meter in the future.  >:D

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:58 am »
I know for sure who to consult 1st, when I scored a cheap, heavily abused & broken Fluke meter in the future.  >:D
Just don't pay $150 USD + $35 s/h from this seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321254188871

PS. It probably has one of the worst descriptions as well.

Offline tinytim

• Contributor
« Reply #549 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »
I have an old kinzo 18D26 that i use in "sacrificial" mode (is that huge cap discharged, yeah lets see...)
Mastech MS8230B El cheapo - ebay
MD10759 - another cheapo but works great and very accurate in low ranges

See Pics for the other meter :)

Might be time to get the other one calibrated :)
Todo:  Ongoing.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf