Author Topic: I tried a Mac for video editing...  (Read 172571 times)

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
Re: I tried a Mac for video editing...
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2013, 08:10:42 am »
Yeah, Noctua has some good parts, their colour scheme may not be to everyones tastes, but they perform damn well!

Damn it is getting hard to not to say what's in the box.

Are u meaning, I giving examples by saying what im running? If u want benchmarks, I can post some ;).. Im sure there is someone reading this that can best mine anyways ;)

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2013, 08:15:07 am »
Yeah, Noctua has some good parts, their colour scheme may not be to everyones tastes, but they perform damn well!

Are u meaning, I giving examples by saying what im running? If u want benchmarks, I can post some ;).. Im sure there is someone reading this that can best mine anyways ;)
No, not what i mean at all.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2013, 08:18:54 am »

No, not what i mean at all.

Oh, okay, well here is a couple anyway, maybe usefull to Dave, tha PCMARK7 to see how close he can get percentage wise.. Not sure what ram speed I was running when I did that bench however.. I have tha Gskill 2666mhz kit, however my motherboard isn't good enuf to run over 2400mhz (Asus Sabertooth Z77), Only certain Ivys, I think just tha 3770K and 3570K, will hit over 2800mhz and with a higher end board..

http://www.3dmark.com/pcm7/543728

And tha 3DMARK11
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6329509
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:29:34 am by Toque »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2013, 08:30:17 am »
I think u will find if u overclock, u will need to ramp up that fan speed on that coolermaster and no longer is it as quiet as u expected..

The link I posted says otherwise. Your suggestion is 0.1dB noisier than the 212 Evo when on high speed.
Yes, you can argue one might not need to switch to high when the other does etc, but the Evo is quieter on both low and high fan speed.
It's starting to split hairs I think.
The Evo was also cheap and in stock.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2013, 08:36:04 am »
I think u will find if u overclock, u will need to ramp up that fan speed on that coolermaster and no longer is it as quiet as u expected..

The link I posted says otherwise. Your suggestion is 0.1dB noisier than the 212 Evo when on high speed.
Yes, you can argue one might not need to switch to high when the other does etc, but the Evo is quieter on both low and high fan speed.

Well, true, unless your going for high overclock, then it might mater to ya.. But on a side note, I was just informing ya on how tha coolers fall ;) Im gathering u will be perfectly fine for what your looking to achieve, which prob isn't 4.6ghz, or a system worth twice as much either.. Are u looking to add a SSD for your boot/windows drive? It would make your overall system snappier to use to go along with tha 3770K..

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:44:47 am by Toque »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:28 am »

Well, true, unless your going for high overclock, then it might mater to ya.. But on a side note, I was just informing ya on how tha coolers fall ;) Im gathering u will be perfectly fine for what your looking to achieve, which prob isn't 4.6ghz, or a system worth twice as much either.. Are u looking to add a SSD for your boot/windows drive? It would make your overall system snappier to use to go along with tha 3770K..

He has a SSD he *might* put in, but it doesn't matter to him because it doesn't affect rendering speed, this is already stated in the thread.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:21 am »

He has a SSD he *might* put in, but it doesn't matter to him because it doesn't affect rendering speed, this is already stated in the thread.

Right, I understand he is going for rendering speed, but overall system general use response is worth something when he is using it to start converts/edits/etc.. Im out for now, catch u guys later..

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2013, 10:23:56 am »
Are u looking to add a SSD for your boot/windows drive? It would make your overall system snappier to use to go along with tha 3770K..

Yes, 128GB Samsung 840 for the boot disk.
I was going to run software RAID for the video hard drive, but I have WD Green drives, and I read they are not good for that due to constantly shutting down.
And the Coolermaster Silencio case has a SATA hot dock anyway, so I figure I'll just run the Segate 7200 2nd video drive, and then backup to individual hard drives kept in separate locations.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2013, 10:53:28 am »
I was going to run software RAID for the video hard drive, but I have WD Green drives, and I read they are not good for that due to constantly shutting down.

Actually you can change this using a utility from WD. WIDDLE3.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »

Actually you can change this using a utility from WD. WIDDLE3.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113

Alexander.

Yep, its a good idea to adjust head park to 300 seconds no matter what u use them for, for all your green drives, not sure if WD changed this, but first versions for sure wore themselves out just parking all tha time.. U can use tha disable switch if needed as well..

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2013, 04:14:01 pm »
In Movie Studio, MainConcept AVC/AAC. No option here for 12Mbps so I tried 10Mbps and 14Mbps

CPU only 4:33 212MB file (10Mpbs I think)
OpenCL 1:27 176MB file (10Mbps)
OpenCL 1:30 246MB file (14Mbps)

I was running a little low on disk space so as a quick fix I converted my 2 disk RAID 1 array to 2 disk RAID 0. The Passmark disk tests indicate a 73% increase in both sequential read and write speeds (R from 137 to 237MB/s, W from 143 to 247MB/s) :), also a 4% decrease in random R/W :(

Since the video processing we are testing here is mostly sequential R/W(?) I thought I'd redo the Dave file tests above and see what this significant increase in speed did for the results.

10Mbps 1:26
14Mbps 1:28

So, a gain of 1s and 2s. Not a scientific test by any means but it gives some indication of the role disk speed plays in video conversion, well, these conversions for this one video at least.

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:25 pm »
Two disks doesn't make much of an array.  Try a striped mirror, a mirrored stripe, or a 4-disk RAID5.  :-//
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »
So, a gain of 1s and 2s. Not a scientific test by any means but it gives some indication of the role disk speed plays in video conversion, well, these conversions for this one video at least.

Yep, practically zero difference. Disk speed doesn't really matter.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:54 am »

Yep, practically zero difference. Disk speed doesn't really matter.

I know disk speed isnt a major factor in what your doing, but for times when u can use tha extra speed to move files etc it doesnt hurt, as well as a automatic second copy.. RAID10 on tha Intel ICH will make u happy, as u have a boost in speed, as well as a backup set too.. Or if u only plan on using your 2 greens, a RAID1 wouldnt hurt, no speed gain, but a automatic second copy with very next to none preformance hit..

Simply put, disk speed will be nice and kinda maters, for tha times where your cpu isnt maxed out ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:44:20 am by Toque »

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:22 am »
I just decided todo a maxxmem2 bench on 2 systems here.. First one is a i7-920 no longer overclocked at 2.66ghz, 12GB triple channel 1600mhz ram.. Second is my i7-3770k overclocked to 4.6ghz, 16GB dual channel 2400mhz ram.. Tha 920 got 13.65 GB/sec score at 54.5ns latency, and tha 3770k got 23.45 GB/sec at 44.9ns latency.. Kinda funny as triple channel was tha big deal when I bought tha 920 in November 2008.. Now we are 10 GB/sec faster dual channel..

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2013, 10:23:53 am »
on the i7 familiy intel did a great job on their memory controller be it dual or triple channel, both over 20gb/s even on my laptop which have a first gen i7 cpu in it, on the new amd cpu-s fx 8xxx series you can get around 16gb/s read and around 12gb/s write with a little tweaking copy is 18gb/s, when you incrase the fsb or cpu speed it can get up to 18gb read/write but thats the limit of the chip with a serious overclock best stats i could find, the geil modules i have 4x8gb 1866mhz reaches 22gb/s read 20gb/s write on an intel i7 2600 cpu, i get 15gb/s read and 11-12gb/s write on my fx8350,

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
on the i7 familiy intel did a great job on their memory controller be it dual or triple channel, both over 20gb/s even on my laptop which have a first gen i7 cpu in it, on the new amd cpu-s fx 8xxx series you can get around 16gb/s read and around 12gb/s write with a little tweaking copy is 18gb/s, when you incrase the fsb or cpu speed it can get up to 18gb read/write but thats the limit of the chip with a serious overclock best stats i could find, the geil modules i have 4x8gb 1866mhz reaches 22gb/s read 20gb/s write on an intel i7 2600 cpu, i get 15gb/s read and 11-12gb/s write on my fx8350,

Are u saying your laptop has more memory bandwith then my i7-920 triple channel as well? If so what model laptop and i7 chip? Or u talking memory read speeds instead of write, my i7-3770k came up as 27809 read speed.. None tha less these i7 cpu are nice, this memory controller tech all started with tha Athlon64, next to tha i7 cpu and of course back when things moved slower, tha Athlon64 would of been tha cpu I used tha longest, it was a great cpu for its time..

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:43:27 pm by Toque »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »
RAID10 on tha Intel ICH will make u happy, as u have a boost in speed, as well as a backup set too..

And what will happen when, for whatever reason, some important files gets deleted and the RAID has started to sync?

Alexander.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »
RAID10 on tha Intel ICH will make u happy, as u have a boost in speed, as well as a backup set too..

And what will happen when, for whatever reason, some important files gets deleted and the RAID has started to sync?

Alexander.

Oh, its not a offsite backup, its a quicker scratch with a second copy, of course.. U never use raid as a backup, having your data in one place wont stop, fire, flood, theft, etc, or viruses, file system corruption, accidental stupidity like delete or format, etc.. RAID just covers u for hardware failure, its not normal or often that 2 devices fail at tha exact same time, as well it can give u some extra performance to work with at tha same time, or in tha case of RAID0 just performance when failure isnt as important.. I guess I shouldnt of used tha word "backup" in that case, what I really meant was "second copy" ;)

Tha idea in this case, as for scratch volume, u use it to work with your files, and if any one of tha 4 RAID10 hard drives die, u replace that drive, it will reclone from tha good drive.. U get to enjoy no downtime if needed, no reconsrut of files as per making a new volume from backup, losing what isnt backed up yet, and some extra speed..

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:09:59 pm by Toque »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2013, 06:51:20 pm »

Raid is not and never will be a backup, you're clearly have no clue on the true meaning of the word "backup".  :palm:

What happened if you delete or overwrite superduperultra important files accidentally, or formatted the drive, though very unlikely but still possible, and other many scenarios that don't need a genius to imagine them.

No raid will able to save you for this kind of disaster.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2013, 07:05:20 pm »
Me to a SysAdmin wannabe: What backup solution do you use?

-I use RAID 1.

We still use it as a joke with my friends.  :P :P :P

RAID. Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy.

Alexander.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »
Me to a SysAdmin wannabe: What backup solution do you use?

-I use RAID 1.

We still use it as a joke with my friends.  :P :P :P

RAID. Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy.

Alexander.

Oldie but still good one.  :-DD

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »
I must be doing something right here when it comes to RAID and BACKUP, I still have all my data from tha two 1.28G quantums I had in my 486DX2-133 system, let alone images of any floppys back to 8088 days ;)

At one time I had tape backup, but im not sure and havent figured out any other cost effective solution to backing up a RAID5 set these days,other then to another another RAID5 set u can move offsite..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:31:33 pm by Toque »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
I started up 2 HDD's I had from when I started with a 286sx, and 2 of the 3 worked. Copied them over to anotherdrive then put them back in storage. Sad to say the contents of both ( 2 copies of 3) fit in a 512M SD card with room left over, though I have been having fun playing the games on them through dosbox.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2013, 07:44:08 pm »
I started up 2 HDD's I had from when I started with a 286sx, and 2 of the 3 worked. Copied them over to anotherdrive then put them back in storage. Sad to say the contents of both ( 2 copies of 3) fit in a 512M SD card with room left over, though I have been having fun playing the games on them through dosbox.

Dosbox is key, thats a awesome piece of work, I never had a gravis ultrasound, I had all tha soundblasters, pro2 8bit, 16bit, awe32, awe64, live, xifi, xifi hd, etc.. It was cool to see how well it worked, I was able to go back and watch demos and play old games with emu gravis sound, etc..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:47:54 pm by Toque »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf