Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1443688 times)

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #775 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:44 pm »
Jan, from Belgium. Studied electronics in the early eighties. Profession is software architecture.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #776 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:37 am »
Hello, been watching Daves videos on YouTube and thought I'd have a browse on here. I'm based in the UK and work as a UPS technician, I deal with kit from 3KVA through to 1.4MW, predominantly 40-800VA though. I'm still learning lots and hope to accelerate that on here.

Offline floris

« Reply #777 on: October 26, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »
Hello,
a few months ago I discoverd Davids videos and many of them are so recognisable and interesting.

I studied electronica from 1990 till 1994 and followed working in computer and monitor repair for one year because military duty calls and one year later I started in PBX's.

Even before my study my basic hobby was (and still is) electronics and my first kit was a philips kit with a board with springs and a few components and a very clear education manual.
In the years I repaired very many things with and withuot a mainsplug on it :-)
(radio, vcr, psu, tv, digital fotocameras, audiomixingpanels, audio amps, video switches, crt projector, anyway ... way much more ...)
In my study I bought my first oscilloscope a Dynatek 2 ch 20 Mhz scope and I bought a Fluke 12 DMM.
Years later  I got 2 analog storage scopes a philips and a tektroniks (so that why I like scope vids very much).

Anyway, I hope I can learn more here and help others with questions

Greetz
Floris

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #778 on: October 29, 2012, 06:19:46 pm »
Steve from upstate New York USA here.  This looks like a great resource.  I retired a couple of years ago and now have a little more time to play with my collection of antique electronics. 

I collect antique radios and record players but now mostly antique test equipment from the 1920s through 1940s.  You can check out some of my test equipment collection here: http://www.stevenjohnson.com/testers-misc.htm  You will also find links to the rest of the collection of radios, soldering irons, and my workbench here: http://www.stevenjohnson.com/

Over the past few years I've built a large library of antique service manuals covering U.S. and Canadian radios, record players, amplifiers, and test equipment which I sell on-line.  I don't miss the 9 to 5 day job at all.  Looking forward with chatting with a few of you.

Some of my test equipment collection:

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #779 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:21 pm »
Mihai from Romania here, late 20's, no EE formal education or job. Passionate about it though. Currently working on a linear programmable lab PSU with switch-mode tracking pre-regulator and lots of other goodies.

Great place this forum, I've learned lots so far, hope to grow and give something back to the community. Cheers!

Offline Prizmatic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #780 on: October 29, 2012, 10:00:19 pm »
Chris from UK here. Taking early steps into RF circuits and home construction, hobby only, and looking to get a better grasp on wrangling electrons. Followed Dave's tube blog for some time, thanks for having me and providing the forum. All the best from the UK.
Chris.

Offline Shuggsy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #781 on: October 31, 2012, 04:08:06 am »
Hello everyone, Scott from Georgia, USA here. I'm a "formally trained" Electrical Engineer and graduated from college in 2008, but I've found the most I learn is by tinkering, playing arorund, and experimenting.  There has been more than one occasion where I've released some magic electronics smoke... all in the process of learning, of course!

For me, it all started in high school -- I was really into computers all through middle school and I kept asking the question of "how does that work?" Eventually, that led me into the actual electrical construction of a construction of a computer, and here I am. I find nearly every facet of electronics interesting, but the analog side of things really intrigues me.

I come across Dave's EEVblog when I was thinking about getting a Kindle. I stumbled on his Kindle 3 teardown/review and I've been hooked ever since. I figure that now is as good a time as any to quit lurking and hopefully contribute to the community a bit! Keep up the good work Dave and everyone else!

Offline N TYPE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #782 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »
Call me ignorant but I cant be bothered reading through the previous 53 pages of introductions before posting my own  :-[
Im Sam, I live in New Zealand Ive been an electrical engineer (electrician) for the last 10 years but have always been interested on electronics..
After stumbling across daves video blog on youtoube it has rekindled my interest in electronics. I plan to do an electronics engineering degree (study from home) starting next year..

Anyways I dont want to carry on and on so I'll leave it there.

Offline andys electronics

• plasma and lcd tv repairs
« Reply #783 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:04 pm »
Hi, I'm Andy from England, i run my own television repair shop, fixing all makes of plasma and lcd tv's.

Offline catcow1234

« Reply #784 on: November 04, 2012, 04:55:29 pm »
Hi all,

I'm Steve from the UK. I'm a test and repair engineer.

I've been an electronics engineer for as long as I can remember.  :)

Looking forward to getting to know a few of you.

Offline croberts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #785 on: November 05, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »
I'm Chris from the USA. After being away from electronics for a number of years, I'm doing some circuit and PCB design and PIC programming now as a hobby. I'm currently working on a solar powered LED lighting system for my home. I also do a bit of watercolor painting when I have the time. I've enjoyed reading the posts here and I'm happy to join you all as a member.

Offline eLi_205

« Reply #786 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:08 pm »
Hi Everybody!

I am Eli, aged 20, from Israel.
I am currently studying Electronics Engeniring, and hopefully in 5 months I'll get my degree  ;D

I am actually divided between two main intrests - Cars (mostly French) and - as you may guess- Electronics, My best fun accures when I get to integrate the two  ::)

Peace & Love!

Eli S.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #787 on: November 05, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »
Hi there, I'm coming from Eastern Europe but currently [temporarily] located in Germany. I have a former EE education, Bachelor Degree, but it's really that: formal, since I've done high-level programming most of my useful life.
Currently doing some small open hardware/software projects and slowly growing the home lab.

Offline jalves

• Contributor
« Reply #788 on: November 11, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
Hello all,

Long time passionate with electronics, now playing more and more with it.

Never to late to learn. I am learning it as a hobby.

Offline markitzero

« Reply #789 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:27 am »
Hello to all I am Randy  from the US I am 26, I am computer and electronics person, Computers is one of my obessions because of me having aspergers. I am with alot of stuff I am a self learner since I have a Hard time reading text books because I can't remember what I read in the textbook

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #790 on: November 17, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
Hello, I'm Kostas from Greece. I'm an EE and CS and working for the last 13 years on public transportation fare collection systems.

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #791 on: November 24, 2012, 04:46:15 am »
Hello all,
Long time thinking about to learn electronics. Never too late to learn. Finally bought DMM.

Michael from US.
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Offline Jerzy54

« Reply #792 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:55 pm »
Hi,
My name is Jerzy from Coram USA. I'm new to electronics, but very impress with this site and this forum.
I hope to learn from all the experts here.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:32 am »
Hello from a Electronic Engineer borrowed to IT world, as I sometimes describe myself.
I studied EE and practiced it as hobbyist at that time, but then I got job in computer area, so I can count the number of times I used my soldering iron in last 10 years on the legs of a Z80  :P
Recently I "rediscovered" my hobby and with it also this fantastic EEVblog.

Cheers!

Offline ElectronicTonic

• Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #794 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
Hi, my name is Eric Wasatonic, electrical lab supervisor at Penn State Harrisburg, where I have a huge lab with all kinds of new and old goodies to play with and lots of projects to work on in my spare time. Also completing my master's project in which I investigate differences between spark gap and solid state Tesla coils.

Just spent the entire summer listening to all AmpHours from the beginning and watching most of Dave's videos. Recently got an AmpHour episode 116 shout-out for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ElectronicTonic156 (Thanks Chris & Dave!!). ;D

I look forward to discussing and sharing more projects and ideas.
People tell me I have too much time on my hands. I tell them, for all the things I want to do, I don't have enough!

Online Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #795 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
Jack here from Derby UK.

Electronic Engineer in the making I think :P

Computer geek is my main job.

Offline clarksnel

« Reply #796 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »
My name is Clark Snelgrove and I work as a test engineer for Nuvotronics in Radford, VA. We are an R&D company where manufacture using our proprietary Polystrata technology microwave circuits. We make an air dielectric  coaxial line ~500 microns wide and can thus shrink traditional microwave frequency circuits to very small dimensions without suffer the problems of microstrip. We can get insertion losses almost as good as waveguide from a few GHz up to 330 GHz.

I was formally trained as a physicist and spent more than twenty years as an educator. electronics and test have always been interests/hobbies of mine so when I left teaching this has become a nice fit. My biggest challenge is that much of the work that I do I am self taught on since much of the microwave test equipment that I used was introduced after I got my bachelor's degree 27+ years ago. I hope that this forum will help me be in touch with those of you that are more recently trained and more familiar with some of the current test equipment.

thanks

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #797 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:38 am »
Hello all. I'm a semi-retired electronics and embedded systems designer in Sydney, Australia. Happened upon this interesting forum just now while googling for a manual, found the 'show off your workspace' thread. Can't resist - will post some pics there in a few moment.
In the meantime, a few odds and ends. No, I don't bother maintaining my web space in any rational order. It's mostly just a temporary filespace for passing things to friends.
http://everist.org/pics/hp_racks/
http://everist.org/tales/
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #798 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:53 pm »
You building a fusion plant in the workshop?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #799 on: November 29, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »
You building a fusion plant in the workshop?

Ha ha ha... I've no idea why you would be thinking that.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf