Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1444239 times)

Offline danpoarch

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1075 on: May 07, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »
I'm Dan, an EE student at the ripe young age of 40. Long background in digital imaging, namely digital prepress, image retouching and device calibration. But nobody prints anything anymore so I'm back in school.

I love what I'm studying but I don't always comprehend everything that we're covering. Like transistors. I can look at an opamp and understand the gist of what's happening but I look at a transistor and compare its aesthetics to cathedral architecture and get bored...

When I'm not studying I do things like recap old Macs (SE/30s and the like). I'm currently working on a Tek 2467B renovation, somewhat ironically doing exactly what I do to the Macs.

Living in Washington, DC, moving to Chicago, Illinois in a couple months.

Enough about me, tell me more about you...

Offline TheEPROM9

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have a Kali USB and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • EPROM 9 Home
« Reply #1076 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »
Hello I am Simon Lyne, studying computer networking at university. Avid hobbyist in electronics and computing.

There are two passions I have, electronics and computers. It was a hard choice on what to follow.

I have a internet presents, three websites although one is no longer used, and a YouTube channel where I do computer, electronics and some gaming stuff. I love me some vintage computers or obscure military tech. Also enjoy photography. :-DMM

Electronics Website: http://www.eprom9.comeze.com/
Computing Website: http://youtube.eprom9.comeze.com/index.html
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEPROM9
TheEPROM9 (The Husky Hunter Collectors inc.)
Knowledge should be sheared freely to those who want it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146977913@N06/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vOnjz1G-aM8LddSbrK1Vg https://www.facebook.com/groups/118910608126229/

Offline TriNitroTolueen

« Reply #1077 on: May 11, 2013, 08:45:24 am »
Hi,

I'm a student in computer science-embedded systems. Currently i'm finishing up my masters thesis and looking forward to start working in a month or two.

I have been a reader on this forum for a little while now and I must say this has to be one of the most friendly forums on the internet. Question get answered without name calling. This feels like a nice place where people with common interest can talk in a civilized manner. I am really glad I found this place!

Offline cetchmoh

« Reply #1078 on: May 11, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »
Hey ho!
My name is Jan and I started a few month ago to try and repair broken electronics.
I don't have a formal educational background on electronics but I do my best to keep up ;)

I have been a lurker around here for quite some time, but I finally gave in and registered :D

Cheers  O0

Offline Ecobion

« Reply #1079 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »
Hello from Farnborough, Hampshire, in England (that's England, United Kingdom, not New England, USA). Farnborough is famous for being where avaition started in Britain, and where a lot of secret electronics technology is developed by the likes of BAE Systems, and Qinetiq who are based here.

I've just completed an EEVBLOG video marathon that's taken the past few months to finish!  :palm: What can I say about it? It's the duck's guts! Apart from my internal monologue picking up an Australian accent, Ive learned a lot from it, and had moments of inspiration come about as part of the experience. The question is what do I do now? Perhaps I'll start some You Tube videos of my own.

I'm in the early days of starting up an eco-tec business, studing engineering (including electronics engineering) one day a week at college to boost my knowledge. I hope I can make a positive contribution on the forums, and I'm sure there'll be a lot I can pick up from it.  :-+

Brent

Offline MikeCL

• Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: May 15, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »
New Member here from Connecticut, USA I like working on electronics and working on small DIY projects, I have a question but it seems my thread does not get posted.

Offline Ecobion

« Reply #1081 on: May 15, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »
You made 2 posts, and I can read them just fine.

Offline MikeCL

• Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:48 pm »
You made 2 posts, and I can read them just fine.

Thanks I guess it had something to do with the attachments I tried to post this morning, it would act like it posted but the thread never showed up.

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #1083 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »
Hello,

Ok here we go:
My name is Chip, i am from Germany.
I work as a Hardware Design Manager/Engineer (yeah fancy description  ;) ) at a small company.
Usually i design sensors and meters which measure stuff like conductivity in fluids, pressure, temperaure, pH, flow rates etc.
I also do power stuff like little local switchmode power supply (yes i evade to say POL) and lot's of digital stuff.
I use MSP430 as well as ARM processors from various manufacturers.
FPGA's and CPLD's are also part of what i do, but i usually stay with the smaller devices.
Designing with embedded PC modules is also part of my job.
Since the company is small i am also the network and system admin having to maintain around 20 computers and servers.

On a daily basis i use IRC as a way to communicate with other nerd's in real time.
I really really like teardowns and get excited whenever there is a Tuesday :)

Hmm, i think thats all that matters for now :)

Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline tannercollin655

« Reply #1084 on: May 19, 2013, 06:55:36 pm »
Hi,

My name is Tanner and I am a Canadian electrical engineering student.

I look forward to reading these forums!

Offline xxx1987virusxxx

« Reply #1085 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:41 am »
hi..good day to all im larry camacho jr.from philippines electronics tech..im very happy joining forum like this...thank you.. :)

Offline scalzomen

• Contributor
  • A day without beer is a day without sunshine!!
« Reply #1086 on: May 20, 2013, 09:26:04 am »
Hello guys,

I am an Electronics Engineer form Italy and unfortunately I am not working in the electronics field  :'(

I am interested at electronics technology and I like to repair everything!

Hope to pass a great time here!

:-+

Offline DanHamer

• Contributor
  • You can put a square peg in a round hole.
    • Carbon Frog
« Reply #1087 on: May 20, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »
Hi, I'm Dan. I'm a Design Engineer from the South East of England. I work for a manufacturer where I design robotic automation equipment for medical laboratories. In my spare time I tinker around with electronics, computers, CNC machines and 3d printers to name but a few of my areas of interest. I've had a keen interest in hobby electronics since I was a child but have recently started to take my hobby in a more enterprising directions (www.carbonfrog.com). For many years now I have been programming PIC's but have also recently taken an interest in Arduinos and AVR's.

I have many tools and pieces of equipment but my most recent pride and joy is my Rigol DS1102E. I also recently bought a Fluke 87iii.

Offline Msquare

• Amatuer Hobbist
« Reply #1088 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:01 pm »
Many years ago - early 70'ies - I made, or tried to make my own PCB and a simple lightshow (amplifier to blink the lights, through some very simple filters. The project failed. I then did computers instead, software is so much more forgiving and "mallable".

Recently though I've rediscovered this as a hobby. It is SOOO much easier with internet. Found a strange chip? Google -> full datasheet. (Just getting a datasheet to select a component was a hassle!). Making electronics a little "intelligent" (like moving a motor a small amount) was difficult. Insert a simple microchip and the simple electronics can be enormously "intelligent".

Don't know yet what I'll ask or contribute here - but it seems a good forum.

Msquare

Offline eps

« Reply #1089 on: May 21, 2013, 08:18:09 am »
Hi,
I am a mathematician from Germany.
I recently started to learn electronics to gain practical experience with electromagnetic phenomena and to build things for fun.

Offline msousa

« Reply #1090 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »
Hi

I'm a systems engineer working in the development of autonomous vehicles. Right now, working on how one would train the AI unit of an AV.
An optimist builds an airplane and the pessimist builds a parachute -- Gil Stern

"The one thing I regret was that my work required an enormous amount of my time, and a lot of travel" -- Neil Armstrong

Offline gocemk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:29 am »
This should have been my first post, not my seventh, so i apologize for that.

I am nearing the end of my studies in Electrical Engineering, (Control System Theory and Automation to be more precise). Throughout the studies i also had several jobs ranging from TV and PC service technician to service technician for mechatronics and electronics on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. At the moment i'm trying to learn everything i can about embedded systems design, microcontrollers and FPGA's. Following the eevblog and it's community has been very helpful and interesting.

Goce.

Offline JuniorJack

• Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:35 am »
Hello,

Great forum, lots more to read still. I am freelance software developer and hardware enthusiast from the UK. I mostly do reverse engineering and some bits of embedded development. Have been working with Atmel ARM microcontrollers for some years, finally have moved to STM32F4.

I came here because of the great videos Dave puts on YouTube.

Regards, Chris

Offline einstein

• Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »
I'm Rian from Belgium and i study electronics.... I discovered the eevblog two months ago by searching info about power supply's and watched Dave his series about his psu project. And a few minutes ago i clicked the subscribe button...

(ps EEvblog #500 is coming soon, Dave, do you plan to do something special?)
Almost as smart as Albert Einstein!

Offline Matster Chief

• Contributor
  • A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.
« Reply #1094 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:40 pm »
Hello i'm Matt from the USA and im really new to electronic engineering relm. looking for help and advice on how to get started and where to learn all this stuff.  :-+
Cheers!
"Remember kids the only difference between science and just screwing around is writing it down!" -Adam Savage

Offline oldticktock

• Radios-TV
« Reply #1095 on: May 26, 2013, 07:04:54 am »
Hi my name is Chris,

I've been a lurker for a considerable while, I decided it was time to come out of the shadows.

I'm at the other historic end of the subject matter, restoring vintage tech and run my own website/ forum for that. However I do love all electronics and find  I daily visit this fantastic site.

Love the video blogs and the wealth of info contained within,  plus all the other excellent services and knowledge offered by this community.

I doubt I will be a great contributor but you will find me a staunch supporter.  :-+

Regards
Chris

P.S.

Dave, love fundamental Friday's, you have a great way of getting over information that does not make people glaze over. Like everyone else really enjoy your Tear Down's
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:06:36 am by oldticktock »

Offline Leon

• Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:50 am »
Hi, my name is Leon and I'm a software engineer from the Netherlands. I occasionally build electronics as a hobby, and have been reading the forums for a long time.

Offline Mustang

« Reply #1097 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:59 am »
Hello, I'm Peter a genuine Brush Signwriter from way back trying to come to grips with modern technology.

Offline belba

• Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: May 29, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »
Hello, my name is Guido. I'm from Ruhr Area in Germany.

Job related I have nothing to do with electronics. I'm just using it. In my free time I like to repair and refurbish electronic stuff. I like also to understand how these things works and for that reason I found the EEVblog (and also mikeselectricstuff) on you tube.
I think as a small thank you for that I want publish sometimes stories about a tear down or a restore.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: May 31, 2013, 05:00:26 am »
Hello, my name is Hunter,and  I live in Virginia. I have meen a lurker for almost 2 years, but I am a subscriber to the GenRad Yahoo user group.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf