Author Topic: changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide  (Read 1307348 times)

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
Re: changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide
« Reply #775 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
I thought I broke my power button the other day. I was turning it off and I guess I didn't hit the button dead centre, so my finger slid off the edge. The spring popped the button back up with enough force that it flew off, however, I just had to press it back into place (hmmm, what's the emoticon for "extremely relieved"?).

Offline fminne

• Contributor
« Reply #776 on: May 14, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »
For 100 euro i'd be licking my finger and sticking it in there instead  :D
When I told the CEO of BEJ Electronics Co.,Ltd that he could sent it over on my costs, I didn’t know that he was going to add a heavy catalogue! So I only saw the transport price after I received it. Otherwise I also would have thought of an alternative solution. But now its done, I enjoy twice as much of the result and I try to forget the financial side of it.

Offline PROTEK

« Reply #777 on: May 16, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »
Good afternoon I did the hack on my 02.04.sp1 02.02.sp2 ran back to 100% after it was upgraded again ok, so ainada not know how to test if this 100mhz ..

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #778 on: May 16, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »
Good afternoon I did the hack on my 02.04.sp1 02.02.sp2 ran back to 100% after it was upgraded again ok, so ainada not know how to test if this 100mhz ..

If you see "DS1102E" when you check the system info (Utilities, down arrow [lower button menu button] to reach page 3 of 3, system info) then the hack was successful.

To test the actual performance of your scope, you will need a very fast-rise pulse generator, as described above. The rise time should be less than 1 microsecond nanosecond -- faster than the scope can measure. Measure the time it takes for the scope to show the pulse rising from 10% of the voltage to 90% of the voltage. 340/RT= scope Gaussian frequency response in MHz. Approximately There are differences between a digital storage scope and an analogue scope so this is not a perfect science.

Most people who do this testing report that the scope is reasonably accurate at speeds over 150MHz -- some approaching 200MHz -- with the proviso that it requires either equivalent time mode or averaging to get a steady trace at those high speeds.  It's a little jittery in real time mode without any averaging (although still quite impressive).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:08:41 am by torch »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #779 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:50 am »
The rise time should be less than 1 microsecond --
nano, not micro.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #780 on: May 17, 2011, 04:10:53 am »
nano, not micro.

I can't believe I screwed that up after all the tests I did  ::)

Offline copiertalk

• Contributor
    • Office machine repair and discussion forum.
« Reply #781 on: May 19, 2011, 04:41:46 am »
Thank you for the help and upgraded scope.

Offline therian

« Reply #782 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:34 am »

My scope is original DS1102E with hardware version 05 and firmware 00.02.02 SP2.

On the first page there are recommendations on installing firmware versions that best suitable for hardware version. But it talk about DS1052 so hardware versions much higher than DS1102E (mine 07). Did you or anyone else try to install newer firmware than 00.02.04 SP1 ? I suspect there is a bug in 00.02.04 SP1 since pressing STOP button don't immediately freeze picture but instead capture the next trigger event and stop 

p.s. anyone know how to disable help menu? it annoying interruption when button get press for too long
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:52:38 am by therian »

Offline Mr-400-Volt

« Reply #783 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:55 am »
Hi, sorry for my bad English, i try my best. I got my Rigol 1052e today with FW 2.05. The HW-Version is not Displayed. Can i turn it into a 100MHZ Version ? Has everybody a TUT/step by step how to do this ?

Thank´s a lot.....

Offline fminne

• Contributor
« Reply #784 on: May 21, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »
Has everybody a TUT/step by step how to do this ?
On the first page of this topic, Polossatik has explained eveything step by step. For the latest downgrade-firmware see from page 43 of this topic.
Good luck , Frank.

Offline xO

Measurement Correlation Fault
« Reply #785 on: May 21, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »
A big "thanks" to Polossatik for summarizing the upgrade information and keeping the first post current. Also many thanks to all the contibutors, especially A Hellene for his insight into decoding the fw headers (see post #42404).

Most of this thread has focused on upgrading the scope's bandwidth. However, not much is mentioned on other limitations. I spent some time checking the scope's features and found a couple problems. First, there appears to be a serious flaw in the measurement system. In short, what you see on the screen is NOT what the scope is measuring! This can be verified as follows:

RIGOL MEASUREMENT FAULT DEMO

1. select Measure > Voltage > Vmax
2. connect probe to square wave calibrator
3. press AUTO
4. press STOP

NOTE: Vmax reads 3.08V

5. select Measure > Clear
6. connect probe to ground
7. press RUN
8. press STOP

NOTE: display trace is at ground level

9. select Measure > Voltage > Vmax

NOTE: Vmax still reads 3.08V (previous measurement!)

To make matters worse, measurement results "appear" to be correct when the scope is running and triggered. But readings always reflect some earlier data set. Only when a waveform is continuous and unchanging will measurement results achieve any kind of reliability. Unfortunately, without being able to correlate with what is on the screen makes this scope nearly worthless for serious analytic work.

Another significant feature that's lacking is the ability to measure MATH channel waveforms. A voltage waveform on CH1 could be multiplied by a current waveform on CH2 to produce a power waveform on the MATH CH. If cursors were applied to delimit the period, and an "average" measurement selected, we could display the power of any complex waveform. None of that is possible on the Rigol. Even entry level Tektronix scopes have had that capability for over 20 years now.

It would be nice if Rigol could address these problems via a firmware fix. But that may not be possible. It may be a more fundamental hardware or design limitation.

xO

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #786 on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:41 am »
turning on math FFT on single channel will reduce the sampling rate too (1GS/s -> 500MS/s). the only explanation is limited processing power. i never used Vmax seriously though.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline joh

• Contributor
Re: Measurement Correlation Fault
« Reply #787 on: May 22, 2011, 08:29:53 am »
Hi xO,

I read you post with interest and echo your thanks to Polossatik & Hellene. May I further ask which version of the firmware you completed your tests with?

Regards, J.

A big "thanks" to Polossatik for summarizing the upgrade information and keeping the first post current. Also many thanks to all the contibutors, especially A Hellene for his insight into decoding the fw headers (see post #42404).

Most of this thread has focused on upgrading the scope's bandwidth. However, not much is mentioned on other limitations. I spent some time checking the scope's features and found a couple problems. First, there appears to be a serious flaw in the measurement system. In short, what you see on the screen is NOT what the scope is measuring! This can be verified as follows:

RIGOL MEASUREMENT FAULT DEMO

1. select Measure > Voltage > Vmax
2. connect probe to square wave calibrator
3. press AUTO
4. press STOP

NOTE: Vmax reads 3.08V

5. select Measure > Clear
6. connect probe to ground
7. press RUN
8. press STOP

NOTE: display trace is at ground level

9. select Measure > Voltage > Vmax

NOTE: Vmax still reads 3.08V (previous measurement!)

To make matters worse, measurement results "appear" to be correct when the scope is running and triggered. But readings always reflect some earlier data set. Only when a waveform is continuous and unchanging will measurement results achieve any kind of reliability. Unfortunately, without being able to correlate with what is on the screen makes this scope nearly worthless for serious analytic work.

Another significant feature that's lacking is the ability to measure MATH channel waveforms. A voltage waveform on CH1 could be multiplied by a current waveform on CH2 to produce a power waveform on the MATH CH. If cursors were applied to delimit the period, and an "average" measurement selected, we could display the power of any complex waveform. None of that is possible on the Rigol. Even entry level Tektronix scopes have had that capability for over 20 years now.

It would be nice if Rigol could address these problems via a firmware fix. But that may not be possible. It may be a more fundamental hardware or design limitation.

xO

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #788 on: May 22, 2011, 09:43:15 am »
Same here, much thanks Xo, for detailing that bug.  I have others that received little attention, I posted them here:

I noticed that too, but really didn't pay it much attention, until your note.  I have firmware 2.04 unmodded.  But I am old school and still read the graticules to confirm the automated measurement.

These continue to annoy and vex me because it interrupts functionality:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2222.0

I would love to start a separate thread on bug reports alone.  Although this thread is very busy, it also has a mix of topics and can make finding archived issues hard to find, even with a search tool.

Hi xO,

I read you post with interest and echo your thanks to Polossatik & Hellene. May I further ask which version of the firmware you completed your tests with?

Regards, J.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kuolas

• Contributor
  • Mechatronics
« Reply #789 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »
Hello, I'm reporting a succeful Rigol DS1052E -> DS1102E Upgrade. It's original Firware was 00.02.05.02.00 and HW58. After all the process I left it with the Firmware 2.04 SP1.

I didn't planed to upgrade the unit, I don't need (yet) the extra bandwith... but the Screen Flickering Bug got my nerves.

So... If i need to downgrade, let's downgrade the way it's meant to be downgraded(TM).

After the Upgrade and self-calibration, the unit on the calibration probe, the measurement were all wrong, I though "damn, I destroyed my Rigol" but that was before I realized that the probe wan on 10X and the Osc. CH1 was on 1X  :P

Really thanks to A Hellene for the Firmware downgrade and Polossatik for the guide, thank you guys!
Super Cyclist... Right of Way by Gross Tonnage.

2-Cylinder - 1.2 HP (950W) @ 110 RPM

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Measurement Correlation Fault
« Reply #790 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »
It would be nice if Rigol could address these problems via a firmware fix. But that may not be possible.

NO! NO! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!

Lately every time Rigol releases a new firmware, something else is broke. Someone around here even compared them to Microsoft. :D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:44 am »
to make it unhackable, something else will be broken. so in the newer firmware, you'll got 2 gifts:
1) unhackable firmware using existing method
2) buggy firmware.
thats how their software programmer's intelligent work aka "stupid".

Offline PROTEK

« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:13 pm »

Friends came a doubt when I check the fw version information by pressing the system after ch1, ch2 and power up the mat on this 133 times and i see most in this 17 or 33, is this normal? Thank you!

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: May 24, 2011, 03:58:54 pm »
Ok, I'm not sure what you are asking. You pressed "Utility", down to page 3 and "System Info", then "CH1" "CH1" "CH2" "CH2" "MATH" -- Right?

The 'Power Up Times' (in red) is a count of the number of times the unit has been turned on. It should increase by 1 every time the unit is turned on.

If yours says "133" but you have only turned it on 17 times yourself, then my guess is your unit was not new. It may have been a refurbished unit that was returned by someone else. (Note: even a new unit will have a few counts from when it was turned on in the factory and the firmware was loaded or updated.)

If yours says "17" but you have turned it on 133 times, then something is wrong. I don't think it really matters to the user how many times the scope has been turned on, but if there is one problem, there may be more.

Offline PROTEK

« Reply #794 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

Torch ok friend I believe is right and I myself I turn it several times a day should be why the number is already high. so this is not a question not cause any trouble? thanks for the reply.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #795 on: May 25, 2011, 01:47:47 am »
Thanks for the work that everyone put into this. I have successfully upgraded my scope to 1152EDU version using these instructions here. I just received my 1052 from dealextreme today after waiting 2 months for shipping and for it to clear customs here in Chile. It had 02.05.02 SP2 and HW58 and everything went fine. I installed 2.04sp1 as suggested and the scope is going through a self cal right now.

Oh yes, I used demoIDN.exe because the rigupgr.exe tool reported my serial number as DS1EBxxxxxxxxx instead of DS1EDxxxxxxxxx. I used my correct serial number of course.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:42:05 pm by Lightages »

Offline Mr-400-Volt

« Reply #796 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:31 pm »
Hi, i have changed my Rigol 1052E to 1102E successful. The original Firmware was 02.05.02.00 . The actual is 2.04.01 .02. Can i update it to the higher FW without problems ? Where can i get it ?

Thank´s

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #797 on: May 28, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
It's in the package of files I posted at http://picturehosting.verhey.org/rigol/DS1052Eupgr_tools.zip. There's also a link to just that file around here somewhere.

That said, I don't recommend it. Many people using the latest firmware are now complaining about a flickering screen problem -- flashes of intermittent white, blank screen that appear sporadically. 2.04 SP1 seems to be the best firmware available: almost bug free and all the features work. The only bug I know of is the measurement bug which displays the last stored voltage measurement instead of measuring the displayed waveform. This only happens when you turn on the auto measurement function with the scope stopped. A minor issue that is easily worked around.

Offline Mr-400-Volt

« Reply #798 on: May 29, 2011, 12:16:24 pm »
Hi, i have upgrade my Hacked DS1052e (DS1102e) from 02.04.01.02 to the latest 02.05.02.00 and it runs. I have no Screen problems, and no Measurement bug.  ;D

Offline Lunat1c

• Contributor
« Reply #799 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »
Do changes in firmware affect the calibration settings? I received my unit today and it has official calibration documents with it. I don't wish to mess up the calibration settings if I dowgrade to the appropriate firmware version to apply the hack (mine is 2.05.02.00 SP2)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf