Author Topic: Proper balancing multi-cell Li* BMS  (Read 957 times)

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Proper balancing multi-cell Li* BMS
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:13:01 pm »
Has anyone found a working BMS that supports multi-cell balance charging of Lithium Ion/Polymer, protection and charge/discharge control with inline load?

It seems very difficult to find something that works and most of the current BMSs either work only for single cells or don't balance charge. 
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Proper balancing multi-cell Li* BMS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:00 pm »
Or? I'd suggest that single-cell BMS's don't balance charge either. There's nothing to balance.

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:14:03 pm »
Or? I'd suggest that single-cell BMS's don't balance charge either. There's nothing to balance.

Well yes obviously.  Are you suggesting limiting everything to single cell and parallel cells at 3.7V and using single cell BMS boards?  Seem a bit limited.  If you need roughly 12V using a 3.7V and boost converter doesn't sound efficient.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline jonroger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:21:30 pm »
I'm going to try this one.  The IC used has 70mA of internal balancing.  Fully open, with source code for the atmel CPU.

https://www.tindie.com/products/ceech/18v-20a-lipo-li-ion-battery-management-system-bms/
I am available for custom hardware/firmware development.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf