Author Topic: EEVblog #597 - Fluke 114 Kit Multimeter + Sparkfun/Fluke Rant  (Read 57695 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Fluke 114/117 Kit Multimeter for hackers, makers, and hobbyists.
Tweet @FlukeCorp if you want to get on the list for one:
http://twitter.com/FlukeCorp
Use the hashtag #FlukeKit
Or ask on their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/fluke.corporation
Dave comments on the Sparkfun/Fluke multimeter customs trademark/trade dress fiasco, and shows off the new low cost Fluke 114/117 Kit Multimeter about to be released.

The Sparkfun blog post: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428
Flukes Trade Commission Exclusion Order: http://www.usitc.gov/publications/337/pub4210.pdf
GIVEAWAY: I'll be giving this multimeter away to the most needy - but only if you bothered to read this video description!
So if you want it, leave a comment saying why you should have it.

Offline juanfermed

• Regular Contributor
  • Fully characterized performance
Re: EEVblog #597 - Fluke 114 Kit Multimeter + Sparkfun/Fluke Rant
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:57 am »
Because I was stolen my $50 Extech 330 for which I spent saving my money for like 1000 months. Also, for being the first to read the video description :P

Thanks Dave!
Batteries are, like any other research area...an area in research.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:36:37 am »
Because I was stolen my $50 Extech 330 for which I spent saving my money for like 1000 months. Also, for being the first to read the video description :P

You're on the short list!

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:19 am »
ahhhh... Being I'm in Brazil, no way I'm gonna get one of those! :(
But I'm saving money to buy an UT71D!  :-+

Offline hikariuk

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:49:45 am »
Ironically Tektronix and Fluke are both part of Danaher Corporation, along with Amprobe and Keithley.  I'm guessing the errant Tek multimeter came out before that happened (which appears to be 2007).
I write software.  I'd far rather be doing something else.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:50:54 am »
Very smart marketing. Way better than a full page ad in some trade magazine.

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:02:06 am »
I have A shit $10 Multimeter that barely works.
It is very,very bad.  :--   :-DMM  :-BROKE  :palm:  :-(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:10:46 am by TVman »
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:04:16 am »
Kit seems a bit easy/simple, but considering they probably grab the boards out of the SMD oven, cal them, and throw it in the kit, and let the end user do the though hole work and mechanical assembly, I can see that being a big portion of the cost of the meter. Do the input terminals look hand soldered, or like they might have been pin-in-paste?  The only real 'new' thing for them would be kitting the parts. 

Offline adrian

• Electrical engineering student
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:11:23 am »
Hi Dave!,

I know you don't like giving away things to people who haven't posted on your forum before (sorry!, only been reading). But I'm in a desperate need of a DMM, my old flea marked sourced Keithley 130 multimeter is wearing out and the jacks aren't even insulated sleeves! It's fine for my 9V-battery powered projects. But I've been putting of repair projects because of this, probing around things without a meter I can trust, nope. Not going to do it.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to make videos!, I remember when I watched your video on making an extra table for the old lab, under which the car could park :D

Take care!

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:12:32 am »
I would say the idea of the kit is to limit sales to a particular group (makers and such) and to prevent the loss of sales on complete higher priced units.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:24:30 am »
What's the definition of most needy? The only multimeter I have is a Craftsman 82139 but it gets the job done.  I have a scope that I traded one of the members here for (Conar 255) and it doesn't have a probe yet because I haven't gotten around to making one but plan to soon.  Having said all that, I don't consider myself needy even though I don't have some of the nice things people here do but then again if I did, I wouldn't most likely even know how to use most of it although I'm sure I'd have fun trying.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:09 am »
Lovely meter Dave, great that you want to give it away as well, as a special "Dave Assembled" unit as well. Nice kit bag as well, room in there as well for a second Fluke meter as well.

Any body disagree that this one needs to be signed on the case by Dave?

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 04:42:17 am »
Yhe only thing my multimeter is good for is continuity ( it has an awesome buzzer ) but anything else sucks big time. I just spent all of my savings on a soldering station and can't afford a new multimeter, but i think there are many people that need it more than i do.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:54 am »
I remember when I watched your video on making an extra table for the old lab, under which the car could park :D

Can't believe I put up with that cramped smelly, dank, hot (in summer), concrete dusty 2m x 2m lab for so long!

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:48 am »
I saw the huge backlash against fluke for the sparkfun fiasco. What is 30k worth of kit? 100 meters?

Fluke 114 made in China.
I know some companies do final assembly to avoid tariffs.
I wonder if this helps the 114 with the savings as a kit?

Reminds me of the Sanwa kits you can buy. (kind of pricey).

KIT-8D
PC20TK

My local Tafe used to have students assemble the crummy $15 multimeter kits as part of the basic electronics course.
example

My friends use $5 hobby king multimeter for their RC stuff.
Im still using my VC97 from Dx.com

Did i miss the part where this was up for grabs?  ^-^

Offline ratdude747

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:27:49 am »
I see fluke's concern... kinda. I think the real concern would be resellers buying the sparkfun crap meters and passing them as fluke meters at flea market and sidewalk vendors... When you are a major brand who has an "iconic" appearance and especially your brand is known for something (quality, performance, looks, status,etc.), trade dress does have validity. Just look at the sort of knockoffs presently at sidewalk vendors and flea markets... it's obvious. And lazy IMHO. One should make a profit through invention and innovation, not through deception and trickery.  After all, Fluke didn't become Fluke by making multimeter-shaped-objects...

Offline Merls

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:48 am »
I posted some of this on youtube as well. Not sure if it was supposed to be here or there. Sorry if it is in error.

I am an I.T guy and I have recently begun acquiring an interest in electronics. I have done a few basic projects recently. I only do these for fun as I am only just learning. (I leaned a lot of stuff about soldering from your videos (many thanks to you)).

I would love to have the fluke DIY multimeter kit. I have been meaning to get a multimeter to expand the repertoire of projects I can attempt. I think it would be a good learning experience to build my own multimeter. So I hope I can win this competition to get this kit. Otherwise I will have to wait till it hits the market to buy one.  ?

I was reading about this on one of the tech sites I visit. I'm glad to hear about flukes awesome gesture. That definitely builds a lot of good PR for them. I still think destroying all those multimeters was a waste though. Could they have not made them change to color or something?

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:10:29 am »
I look at it this way. A real "Company" would not buy a kit for its technicians and "Companies" are flukes core business. This is just a good PR move. Feed some low end meters to students and such getting people used to the quality and feel of the product line and make lifetime customers when they go into the workspace and need a serious meter. I love it when companies do stuff like this. Meanwhile people will get some good meters for what I am going to assume are reasonable prices and they will not endanger their core business. Lets face it. It would be cheaper and easier to just finish the assembly in china rather than bag up the parts. They are making it just enough of a kit to dissuade real customers, but enough of a finished product to ensure it feels and works like a fluke.

Unfortunately without a current meter its practically useless in the maker field.  They will learn fast though. I am curious if you populated the parts, took the stop out of the switch, and engaged the switch on those functions if it would come to life on the current settings. I would not be surprised if it did!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:33 am »
I still think destroying all those multimeters was a waste though. Could they have not made them change to color or something?

A can of pink spray paint and and a embossed stamp on the side in large letters saying "Not A Fluke" should do it.  O0
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 06:57:09 am »
Wow, that was fast! I tweeted Fluke 2 hours ago and I just received my order confirmation with shipping details! Thanks Dave!

Offline Kirigozo

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:17 am »
Well, what do you know.

Looks just like an Agilent U1231A with rearranged buttons and less features that sells for less than $100 at Trio (and it's fully assembled and certified).

Good one Dave; you've done it again.  :-DD

Offline Ketturi

• Regular Contributor
    • Ketturi Electronics
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 07:18:32 am »
Well I'm not saying that I would need that multimeter giveaway, but my DMM is a "bit" broken... Anyway I think I could afford finally some better after destroying bunch of these cheapo meters (probably would have been less expensive to buy quality one at the begining).

As said that Fluke 114 is bit useless without current ranges but hey, it is one of cheapest genuine meters. And it performs much better on its limited function range than these everything-from-dmm-to-kitchen-sink-in-one meters. You can always add more dedicated equipment later. Good voltage&ohm meter gets you started, and you can always measure current with good voltage meter and precise shunt resistor (or get Daves µCurrent!).

I don't think Sparkfun or any other party would have get away with these VC97/99 multimeters either, they are somewhat flukeish too and are even sold by adding "Fluke" to ebay listing tittle. :D
Ketturi electronics: http://ketturi.kapsi.fi

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:42 am »
I'd absolutely love to have that multimeter! I currently have a not-so-great Uni-T $30 special and the readings are out. I really need a better handheld multimeter... my projects could greatly benefit!
However, I understand that other might be needier :)
--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 07:45:41 am »
Is the internal 114 PCB is same like Fluke 117?
is the 10A amp is not available just only because no range switch and covered by casing?
I just watch your old 117 review before the video shows up.

i wander what's the retail price of the kit, since the build up one is $113.16 at testequipmentdepot.com
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/dmm/114.htm

i will buy one if it's have $50 price tag in my country  :-DMM
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:15:39 am by han »

Offline Kico

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:54 am »
I should have it because i don`t have money to buy it!

Offline dealio55

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:56 am »
I should have it because i have an cheap Chinese multimeter which is not working properly and i would like to have a decent multimeter when i am working around audio tube which has a high voltage

-Ben

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 08:05:15 am »
I would willingly buy a multimeter kit like this if it was a decent price. Even without a current range it would be both useful and fun. :-/O

Now how do you sign up for one if you have neither Twitter nor Facebook accounts? :bullshit:

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:16 am »
i wander what's the retail price of the kit,

I think that got a bit lost in the video. One is supposed to contact @FlukeCorp via Twitter, using the #FlukeKit hashtag to get more details, like availability and price. Or ask Fluke on Facebook.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 09:02:00 am »
i wander what's the retail price of the kit,

I think that got a bit lost in the video. One is supposed to contact @FlukeCorp via Twitter, using the #FlukeKit hashtag to get more details, like availability and price. Or ask Fluke on Facebook.

more easy to ask in EEVBlog :D
since I didn't have twitter, and already leave facebook behind.

Offline brianfroelund

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 09:36:55 am »
I could really use that multimeter! I was surprised watching some of you videos showing of some of the really bad cheap multimeters that even those looked so much better than the one i have. No continuity tester, no auto-range and the test leads is soldered right onto the pcb, which makes the safety note on the backside of it quite fun :)

Opening it up also showed that they have drilled holes in front of the case which have then later been covered up with tape. I guess the connectors just got too expensive!

Offline x0001346

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:22 am »
This reminds me of a multimeter I lend about 9 years ago. Im still waiting for it to be returned. |O

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:55 am »

I should have it because i have an cheap Chinese multimeter which is not working properly and i would like to have a decent multimeter when i am working around audio tube which has a high voltage

I think I should have it because my current multimeter is a Fluke 19 :'(

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:31 am »
well,
Why i didn't need a fluke DMM...
This is the best DMM in the world (my home), feature:
1. 10 A NIST calibrated Shunt resistor(and who need a fuse, unfused means you didn't have to replace it)
2. 200mA fuse (don't copy the Technic ...it is patented)
3. Double side SMD resistor(first in the world)
4. Unfiltered input (you can get Cap filtering as Optional)
5. You can overclock this beautiful DMM
6. Exposed Power lead for CE compliance (Cheapest Engginering certification)
7. Unconnected pad (perfect for future development)
8. COLORFUL Battery (forget that boring uncolored 9V battery)

(edit: 4/4/14)
But Seriously...
Why I should have it?
My work is repairing all sort of Test Equipment, and my hobby is make cheap DIY version in my home.
I have make several things: OSA, semi diff probe(1MHz), C&V swithing P/S,industrial USB curent loop, 35kV P/S,..
But for my hobby i didn't have any budget for decent DMM..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:34:21 pm by han »

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:22 am »
Currently my multimeter is a cheap uni-t and it does not work propely, so i am multimeter less ,I really need onother one, can I have it please? :-DMM
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:15:20 am by electrolux »
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:13 am »
Dave, I'm going to ask for it on behalf of my kids.

Son and Daughter (twins) are off to Uni this September to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Electrical and Mechanical Engineering respectively.

If the Fluke kits appears before then (and I don't win this one  ;) ), I'm definitely going to get them one each.

Pete

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:47 am »
Currently my multimeter is a cheap uni-t and it does not work propely,

Can't be. According to the UNI-T fanboys here every UNI-T is perfect.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 11:46:23 am »
Dave, as an early birder for the kit request from Fluke since you announced it earlier at the Supporters Lounge few days ago, got the confirmation today, thanks. From their reply, I have the impression that they're sort of overwhelmed by the requests, and probably have a limited run for the 1st batch. Hurry guys, a limited edition here.  :clap:

Please read your PM, have few questions for you regarding the payment, I thought this is for the noble cause in education, why the heck it has this affiliation thing with your web site ? Are you getting commission for this particular deal ?  :-\

On the free DMM, hell, why not, here is my reason, at least its damn honest  :P , I need that low end one to complete the "Fluke Circle"  >:D, my life just feel empty if its not completed.  :'(

Lets see, I own Fluke 287 (two) , also a 87V, sort of upper mid level. Its just I don't have this low class type from Fluke, and neither they're available here locally, so please, I think I deserve it to complete this quest.

Anyway, you always agree that one will never have enough DMMs, right ?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:17:37 pm by BravoV »

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 12:22:58 pm »
well,

1. 10 A NIST calibrated Shunt resistor(and who need a fuse, unfused means you didn't have to replace it)

I reckon Han should win whatever prize they're all asking for. He is the funniest.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:14 pm »
I'm really looking forward to getting mine, hopefully fluke will be quick with it, I'm very glad they are finally doing something for the hacker maker movement.
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
I'll wait for the 117 kit :)

Also, did anyone notice at about 16:20 when Dave snaps the unit on the table, it jumps by about 26mV AC ?? it doesn't do it again after that, and it stays pretty stable at 0.00 for all the remaining knocks on the table.

I think knocking it on the table loosened the bits :) maybe it's broken now :)

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 01:06:03 pm »
Is the kit for real or an early April fools...
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline olewales

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »
It did come to my mind when I watched the video and the idea is hilarious enough but Dave wouldn't fool us a day early... surely...

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 01:33:19 pm »
It did come to my mind when I watched the video and the idea is hilarious enough but Dave wouldn't fool us a day early... surely...

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »
Let's hope this Kit idea is successful and catches on through the Danaher group: I'm interested in a Keithley 2002 Kit and a Tek MDO4000B Kit  ;)

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:14 pm »
Smells like April's Fool...

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 02:28:31 pm »
The makers and students of today are the professionals of tomorrow. Fluke should be smart enough to know this and know that when they do get a professional gig and are able to make recommendations and requests for hardware, they will naturally gravitate to what they "know".

That said, I think if these kits are more than an equivalent spec'ed Extech that is already assembled for example, they aren't going to be much more than a marketing stunt and will miss the point.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 02:29:35 pm »
http://www.elenco.com/admin_data/pdffiles/M1007K.pdf

There's already a multimeter kit in exsistence. It's and elenco and it's boxy and cheap...

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
It's March today, so it can't possibly be.  :-//

"Fluke is really fast with this kit".. Yeah, they say they are going to do it (how many maybe's were in that announcement?), and to show it off they just sneak away a couple of parts from the production line, put it in some nice bags, and send it off to you.  :-DD

Offline carpelux

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 03:17:55 pm »

Exactly what i was thinking. Don't know if Australia is ahead or after GMT, so technically it possible might be april 1 there.

Lets hope it's not because it's a great idea for supporting the young technically interested people.
---------------------------------------
Catch the light

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
Smells fishy, everyone's been had

Offline MonitorMonitorMonitor

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »
Absolutely sensational video. Well done. This one even topped my favourite 555 video from a few years ago.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:04:49 pm by MonitorMonitorMonitor »

Offline m12lrpv

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 10:46:26 pm »
Tried to jump in earlier and call April Fools but the server had crashed  :(

The tricky bit with this video is that Fluke would either be in on it or would be getting seriously spammed on facebook.

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:05 pm »

31/03/2013:

31/03/2012:

31/03/2011:

All April Fool's EEVBlog jokes were released in 31/03...

Offline erazmus

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »
Dave actually got me with this one.  I've found his previous April Fool's videos amusing but obvious.  This one really got me - I even tweeted @FlukeCorp.  Sounds like enough people got in touch with Fluke so they had to post something on their Facebook page about it.

Well done Dave.  You win this round.

Offline rjk5378

• Contributor
  • "Life is a science fair!" - Forrest Mims
    • Law Offices of Robert J. Keller, P.C.
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
I used to have a Protek 608 -- actually two of them at one point -- before I converted to Flukes. But I wonder whether they ever had any problem with Fluke or US Customs. Yellow boot, dark gray body:

http://www.tequipment.net/assets/1/26/DimLarge/608_image_1.jpg
- Bob, KY3R

Offline m12lrpv

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 11:02:35 pm »
It's a shame fluke has called it as April Fools joke so early because there are plenty more out there set to be caught by it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:55 pm »
It's a shame fluke has called it as April Fools joke so early

They could have had fun with the thousands who registered their interest, or done any number of things.
This is more people by an order of magnitude than Fluke have veer had for all their social media campaigns combined I'm sure.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »

They could have had fun with the thousands who registered their interest, or done any number of things.
This is more people by an order of magnitude than Fluke have veer had for all their social media campaigns combined I'm sure.

Ok, I admit, you got me, it was completely plausible, but come on, I watched it on March 31 here in NZ, it wasn't April 1 anywhere!

Nicely done anyway
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline cvb00000

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:44 pm »
Hey, just a poor college kid who has no multimeter.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 12:42:18 am »
yay,
you got me
Youtube HD mean a lot, in 360p barely see the solder mark.

Offline ThisDoesNotCompute

• Contributor
    • This Does Not Compute
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:15 am »
So Dave, how long did it take you to desolder all those components?

Offline jjlwork

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 01:42:27 am »
I'd love to have that meter. I've been trying to get into building electronics for years but I never have the investment. I get a couple hundred aside and kids have hockey, football, swimming, dentist, always something. So I decided the only way I'm going to get anything together is make excuses to build stuff for the kids and to  get something bit by bit the first tool I got was a $12 soldering iron to fix a broken 42" Plasma TV for the kids room, ended up costing me $17 to fix and that included the iron, the solder and the caps it needed (took a hell of a long time to get the joint to heat with that $12 iron). It was a proud moment for me as I have been reading about electronic since I was 12 but could never afford to get into the hobby, I'm 35 now and still can't....life's funny like that there are always necessities.The next thing I'm looking for is a cheap chineese soldering station and one of those UNI-T multimeters likely will have to wait for chistmas lol. I'm hoping to get the kids into it too by building effects for their guitars.

Great April Fools by the way, you had me all the way to the fluke facebook page looking to sign up. I've watched about 40 to 60 of your videos since i discovered your blog a few months ago. Keep up the great work I've learned more from your blog in the past two months that I have reading about 5 to 10 text books.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:47:17 am by jjlwork »

Offline tyler.ellis21

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 01:45:07 am »
Sorry for just joining for this but I didn't realize how active the forums were, so I figured i would give it a try. Anyways I only have one multi-meter that gets most things even though it only has a 1k resistance test mode but other than that my Gardner Bender GMT-12p works good enough for what I do now xD, it would be nice to have for repairing though but thanks for putting out good content though dave :D keep it up :)

Offline loscha

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 02:14:00 am »
I'm a stay at home Dad, looking after my disabled Son (Severe Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Robertsonian Translocation of Genes).

I've just started to make some guitar distortion pedals, and I've only got a pretty crappy Jaycar multimeter. Having a better meter would give me more confidence in matching expensive (to me) Germanium transistors and the voltage drop of matched diodes, so as to maintain a superior product.

Love the blog,
  All the best
/Loscha from Melbourne.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 02:20:10 am »
Ok, I admit, you got me, it was completely plausible, but come on, I watched it on March 31 here in NZ, it wasn't April 1 anywhere!

I had no choice really. I couldn't release midnight 31st because then I wouldn't be able to watch it and delete all the compulsive April Fools comments which spoil it for everyone if made too early on in the game (and I wanted to give Fluke a chance to figure out what was happening!). And I was busy today and wouldn't be around either, and by then it would have been too late and everyone would have been sanitised to april 1st jokes, so about 2:30pm on the 31st it was, my time. Too bad if you lived in other time zones, not my problem  :P

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:05 am »

A minute with the solder sucker.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 02:22:17 am »
Awesome acting, two thumbs up!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:44 am »
I fell for it, good one. Though while I did think it was real, I was questioning how they could wave solder the PCB and plug up the missing fuse holes with solder but miss the kit components.

I think if Fluke were to ever release a kit meter (yeah, I don't see it happening) they'd have to omit the entire wave process and so you'd have to do all the through hole stuff.

Offline Luciano2572

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 02:34:10 am »
Wow if it wasn't for fluke's FB saying it was april fools.. xD got me
well done  :-+ !

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2014, 02:46:27 am »
I fell for it, good one. Though while I did think it was real, I was questioning how they could wave solder the PCB and plug up the missing fuse holes with solder but miss the kit components.

That's what is used for.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:35 am »

Nicely done anyway

Me too - I watched it about 3pm Adelaide time on the 31st.  I even tweeted Fluke. 

Only when I checked out EEVBlog today to see what Dave's prank for this year would be that the penny dropped!

Offline 99tito99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 03:41:22 am »
Good stuff Dave:  I have informed some High School science teachers to keep track of this.  I have supported Sparkfun and Fluke by buying their stuff and I will continue to do so.  ¡MUY BUENO! 

Cheers, Mark

Offline Sinusoidal

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:33 am »
Every time I say no April Fools joke will get me but dammit Dave if you aren't the only one that consistently fools me.
Nicely done, although I'm a little bummed they aren't doing a cheaper multimeter. Also was this your way of taking a stab at Fluke for the recent SparkFun controversy by inundating them with makers asking for cheap kits, haha.

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:55 am »
 :o
Well... That fooled me... Had me 100% convinced for a minute!
Though posting at 9pm MST on MARCH 30 in the US didn't help much- way too early for an April fools!  :-DD  :phew:
Well, anyways, judging by the response Fluke got, there's a pretty good market for these! Here's to hoping that, somewhere down the line, Fluke would release one of these...
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2014, 05:13:14 am »
Played backward, this video could be a great teardown.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2014, 05:18:10 am »
Also was this your way of taking a stab at Fluke for the recent SparkFun controversy by inundating them with makers asking for cheap kits, haha.

I tried a little "social engineering" experiment, it worked, but seems Fluke failed to realise the potential  :(

Offline NegativeONE

• Contributor
    • NegativeONE - personal page
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:37 am »
I must say it: awesome april's fool joke Mr. Chief Teardown Officer at Fluke :D
ONE never notices what has been done;
ONE can only see what remains to be done;

http://www.negativeone.pl

Offline eripaha

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2014, 05:51:49 am »
Since my old multimeter mysteriously broke down (the values it displays dont make any sense), i have been using an arduino and its ADC as my voltmeter. Sometimes i have to build voltage dividers and other shenanigans to get the thing in to right range. Long story short – i could use a real multimeter.

Offline Moondeck

• Regular Contributor
  • i really like compilers
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:46 am »
I am a kid (i am 12) and my parents dont have money to buy me basic equipment like this and i cant work in Denmark until i am 14. So i really need this and a crappy chinese M-Meter costs like 30$ in DK so they are damn expensive here.
I'm selling 100ml bottles of free energy, PM me for pricing.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:31 am »

A minute with the solder sucker.

But those were new components weren't they?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2014, 06:57:05 am »
Yesterday: tweeting #FlukeKit
Today: Waitaminute...

Well, congratulation on your new job. You are CTO at Fluke, chief teardown officer :d
"Welcome Dave Jones & the @EEVBlog to the engineering team by helping us pick his title! Chief Teardown Officer? #TeardownPrank #FlukeKit"

Online hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2014, 08:09:49 am »

31/03/2013:

31/03/2012:

31/03/2011:

All April Fool's EEVBlog jokes were released in 31/03...

I thought the obvious use of the shrugging emoticon would express the sarcasm. :-DD

Great prank Dave. As again, I watched this vid and was like "ok well, we'll see when its released". Then I got on the forums later that day (y-day now), and thought.. "I can't wait to see this years April fools video of the EEVBLOG".... hmm wait a minute.  :=\

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:20 am »
But those were new components weren't they?

Of course, I got them from RS and Jaycar. They aren't even the right ones, and I was afraid it would be so obvious! but they were the best I could get at the last minute. I only decided to finally do this on the Friday.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:00 am »

I've got my kit yesterday and already assembled it - great stuff,  O0 :-DD

Offline abdullahseba

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2014, 08:45:37 am »
my multimeter is an £8 rapitest  pocket meter from my local Wilkinson store
so can  I have it please    :-DMM >:( >:( :( :P
This is my right hand this is my wrong hand

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:45 am »
Also was this your way of taking a stab at Fluke for the recent SparkFun controversy by inundating them with makers asking for cheap kits, haha.

I tried a little "social engineering" experiment, it worked, but seems Fluke failed to realise the potential  :(

Yes, showed that that social media crowd is as bad at fact-checking than the traditional media.

And Fluke apparently didn't have an idea what to do with the requests.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:11:24 am by Bored@Work »

Offline Noxer

• E71NOX
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2014, 09:17:38 am »
Hi
I hope the giveaway isn't over but in any case the multimeter is really good. I always liked the FLUKE meters but I never got one. I am 18 years old and really into electronics, sometimes I am the one who explains things to the teachers. :) In a few months I will be going to the Fakultät für Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik in Austria not Australia. I think that I am the best student at my school and I have won a lot of 1. places on technical conventions. But because I live in a weird country I can't afford a FLUKE instrument. :(
But they could have put the current measurement on this one. :D

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:48 am »
You completely fooled me ???  grrr >:D.
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:17 am »
Yep, got me too!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline Caca

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2014, 10:21:42 am »
Really got me on that, but if you're still willing to give away the multimeter I'd really like to aply as an EE student in Czech Rep I can't really afford much and having trustworthy multimeter would be great improvement over my 5$ crappy one.

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2014, 11:43:43 am »
hahahah... I knew it was something wrong here! kkkkkkkkk

Dave, you should be working for Hollywood! Nice acting!  :-+

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:14 am »

That's what is used for.

Looks labour intensive; almost seems like it'd be quicker to hand solder the few parts required.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2014, 12:53:51 pm »
Yes, showed that that social media crowd is as bad at fact-checking than the traditional media.

To be fair, I did engineer it that way, saying it hadn't been released yet, and was so new etc, and implied that Fluke would like to garner interest via social media hash tags etc. It's not surprising that people just tagged away and didn't bother asking Fluke first.
I contemplated setting up a dedicated website at the last minute, but that seemed like too much trouble for too little reward.

And Fluke apparently didn't have an idea what to do with the requests.

Yeah, I thought that was sad, so much opportunity to do something creative...

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »
They just sent you a tweet

Offline specialauri

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm »
Hi Dave!
If the meter is still available... i´d like to give it to my son. He just got 8 last week and is a hugely into electronics. Taking stuff apart, see how it works, desolder components and resolder them. But when it comes to measuring he has to rely on a terrible cheap meter... not good to start learning with. And of course, he deserves it! He is the best son in the world!

Greetings from northern Germany

Bahne

Offline bastouw

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »

Great one, you got me going !   :-DD
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:14:59 pm by bastouw »

Offline Luckymat

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:46 pm »
It would be nice if i get it becouse:
Im 16 and im not rich yes a do have multimeter its BM-257 and a cheap ass one if i have 2nd one i can messure voltage and current (or 2 voltages) at the same time
Bm257 is only thing that i can messure with(no scope no LCR meter just nothing)

If somebody needs it more than me, fine give it to them but i kind of need it too

Luckymat

Offline BiOzZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
Well im sitting here with just one cheap mastec and lots of things that need measurements! ... PLEASE?!
My one regret in life is learning to speak English on the internet ...

Offline smoothtalker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »
Check this out. a transparent fluke dmm as prize item in china. really cool stuff. here’s the link to it. http://65.fluke.com.cn/

Good one dave!  April Fool’s!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:43:13 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:39 pm »
This reminds me of when Sparkfun took delivery of a reel of fake Atmel 328Ps a few years ago.  Sparkfun needs to pay through escrow with these cheap/fraudulent Chinese distributors so if they don't get their product the idiots don't get paid.

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/350

Of course, this second time they didn't get burned like the first time but that was thanks to Fluke's generosity.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline komet

• Supporter
  • Shenzhen Retroencabulator Mfg. Co.
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »
I think there was one mistake - Dave said "the battery is still in there". Apart from that, very clever.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »
I thought that a corporation like Fluke would give a kit a different name, like 114K for kit.
Bu that though was gone fast and I fell for it
Good one !
Best April fools 2014
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:58 pm »
Dave, I need the multimeter.
Deeply.

Because I believed every word of the crap you told in the video. And I tweeted to Fluke. And I wrote to Fluke on Facebook. Probably they’re still laughing...

:palm:
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:40 pm »
I fully believed it when I saw the video first time. Well done. best April 1st blog ever!

Offline delmadord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »
Precisely done on March 31  :-DD :-+

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:58 pm »
You are A great actor Dave! :-+ :-+
You did very much fool me! ::) ;)
When I saw all those comments and that picture that's buried in the comments I looked back and saw the solder marks and I started laughing! :-DD :clap: 2 thumbs up Dave! :-+ :-+
You are such A great teacher and A great joker too.
Your the BEST Dave!!!!   :) :D ^-^ ;D

Thanks for A great show! ;)

Hunor.
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2014, 12:48:22 am »
That was an awesome prank  :clap:  :-+

Offline nyo

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2014, 02:18:26 am »
Hi Dave, I would dream of owning a real fluke dmm...
Felipe

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2014, 03:05:33 am »
My favorite youtube prankster is https://www.youtube.com/user/lasersaber he is awesome on April 1st pranks :)

Dr  lirpa sloof :-DD

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:15 am »
I believed the damn video and tweeted Fluke. I have now sent out tweets to Keithley and Tektronix for a 2400 SMU kit and a MDO4000B kit as well. Let's see how that goes.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline 99tito99

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:37 am »
Good stuff Dave:  I have informed some High School science teachers to keep track of this.  I have supported Sparkfun and Fluke by buying their stuff and I will continue to do so.  ¡MUY BUENO! 

Cheers, Mark

Well OK: I plead ignorance (or just ignorant) as I did not know it was April or for that matter that the day before was in March.  I'm retired; beauty!

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2014, 03:42:32 am »

Cheers, Mark

Well OK: I plead ignorance (or just ignorant) as I did not know it was April or for that matter that the day before was in March.  I'm retired; beauty!

I believe that part of the video was true and not an April fools joke.

Offline cscott719

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2014, 04:10:42 am »
Back in 1995, I was lucky enough to pick up a Fluke 79 that I had for years and years.  I got it because I was in the appliance repair business at the time, and it was one of the few meters out there that could actually read the diode out of a microwave oven.  Most others did not have a high enough voltage to do that.  I had the meter for several years, and last year, I moved into a new house.  Within 2 months, both of my vehicles were broken into and everything was stolen, including my Fluke 79.  Of course the cops didn't care.  It is gone forever.

Recently, I have been getting more and more into electronics, and I soon missed my Fluke more then anything.  I would love to have another one, but wow, they are pricey.  It was a toss up between dropping a few hundred for a new meter, or using the money on my son's science fair project.  Guess who won.  If his project isn't disqualified, he is going to kick ass!  If he wins this, I think a Fluke anything would be a great reward.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

To be fair, I did engineer it that way, saying it hadn't been released yet, and was so new etc, and implied that Fluke would like to garner interest via social media hash tags etc. It's not surprising that people just tagged away and didn't bother asking Fluke first.
I contemplated setting up a dedicated website at the last minute, but that seemed like too much trouble for too little reward.

I suspect people there were quite a few people who knew it was an april fools joke but still contacted fluke, just to add to their (fluke + other social medias) confusion.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:31 pm »
Is the giveaway 1'st April fools too? :(

yeah, anyway the cost of shipment and import tax can be half of the DMM price...
And i'm sure Dave will keep the Fluke 114 "KIT" as April fools trophy ... :-+

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:09 pm »

yeah, anyway the cost of shipment and import tax can be half of the DMM price...

Even if it wasn't u wouldn't want that one because it hasn't got the correct input protection

Offline vigsgb

• Contributor
I should have this meter because simply put. Bob is really my uncle
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »
Simply put no bullshit.   I should have the multimeter because Bobs really my uncle.    O0

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:57 pm »

Even if it wasn't u wouldn't want that one because it hasn't got the correct input protection

Better have then nothing, you should see my home DMM.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-597-fluke-114-kit-multimeter-sparkfunfluke-rant-29012/msg416600/#msg416600

Offline A.Mac

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2014, 06:04:19 pm »
Grr! Every year! I get fooled by Dave's April fool's pranks every year. And every year I tell myself, "he won't get me next year", and of course he does.

Well done Dave!  :-+

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2014, 07:53:21 pm »
I remember the time when he pretended he was starting a partnership with a big company that one was good

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »

No, I'll give it away.

Offline sarm

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:40 pm »
 :palm: Oh noes you got me again.

Quote from Fluke's Facebook "The reaction to Dave’s post and video has been incredible! While we don’t currently have plans to build this kit, we are certainly passing your enthusiasm for it on to our product planning team."

:clap: to you Dave.

Offline Huluvu

• Regular Contributor
    • ECM Home
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2014, 06:40:46 am »
Well done Dave  :-+  got me also  :palm:
"Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no..."

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »
You got me last year too GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D.

Offline fenclu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2014, 06:30:29 pm »
I'd love to get this meter. I'm only 18 and still a high school student. I'm currently developing an OSHW project - the miniLOG https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/minilog-a-precision-standalone-voltage-logger/

Unfortunately I only have an sbsolute POS meter, a Uni-T UT30D. It's just not enough for this work, I need much better accuracy for properly testing this thing. The shit confidence of my meter is actually one of the reasons why I'm struggling with progressing on this project.

What can I say, I'm not rich. I don't own a scope and have an incredibly basic lab.  A nice Fluke like this one would be a giant help.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:02:39 pm by fenclu »
If anything can go wrong, it will.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 11:43:29 am »
So if you want it, leave a comment saying why you should have it.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell a moving story to justify why I need the multimeter. I already have a multimeter (though cheap but functional). A friend would sell me a 77 IV in good condition for a reasonable price.

But I would love to present the "kit" in a display case where it can be considered from friends – many of them are professional electronics engineers and also viewers of the EEVblog.

Am I on the list? :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:45:33 am by Hal_9000_de »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
A Fluke kit is a first for them, IIRC.  Its does suggest Fluke takes the hobby market seriously to devote resources to it.
It likely will generate a following and intro a new generation to their better gear.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:27:24 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline juanfermed

• Regular Contributor
  • Fully characterized performance
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:27 am »
Seriously Dave? hahaah Your video seems so real, I didn´t believed what I read here about aprils fool day, but I just read the post on Flukes webpage saying they are not making the kit and I must admit you got me too again! What?!! Very very good one Dave.  :-DD :palm: :clap: |O

Anyway, it seems this served Fluke to notice how the hobbyist would like a product like that one.
Batteries are, like any other research area...an area in research.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2014, 10:01:00 am »
btw and not that I encourage anyone to get those, microcenter in the US still has those sparkfun meters but they are not autoranging so the dress code they chose lies a lot!

Or like my wife will say. It doesn't even measure temperature, what good it does me!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:30 am »
Or like my wife will say. It doesn't even measure temperature, what good it does me!

SWMBO complained the other night that I didn't have a multimeter in the house that measured temperature.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 12:27:09 pm »
Thanks, checked now and it looks like I've been had ..  :-DD

A Fluke kit is a first for them, IIRC.  Its does suggest Fluke takes the hobby market seriously to devote resources to it.
It likely will generate a following and intro a new generation to their better gear.

Sounds like you need to read a bit more of this thread.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »
swmbo

for those who may not know, is short for She Who Must Be Obeyed. From British TV show Rumpole of the Bailey.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »
swmbo

for those who may not know, is short for She Who Must Be Obeyed. From British TV show Rumpole of the Bailey.

Ah, now things make sense. Thanks for the explanation! ;D

Offline theawesomejl

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:08 am »
I need the 114 because I'm an electronics newb and I'm taking a course in college, and a multimeter is one of the requirements. Also, I'm doing some hobbyist, Arduino stuff for home automation. I've also been using a crap ten-dollar unbranded inaccurate meter, and putting up with it  :P

Offline ResR

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »
I have an analogue Velleman AVM360 since 2006, it has a 5x20 glass fuse, x1 ohms range is not working due to the accidental 230V input - burned out resistor with the 500mA fuse and Meterman branded test leads with electrical arc damage from previous owner that barely stay in sockets (the stock ones falled apart). I would like to have at least one decent test equipment, as anything safe/precise is well over from what I can spend from my salary I get for working as a full time skilled electrician in Estonia.

Offline DrJoe

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:17 am »
Dave,
 You are absolutely brilliant! You had me hook, line and sinker. I even checked the Fluke web page for info.
Parts bags with parts numbers and bar codes, and parts that weren't desoldered and had full length leads!
Genius.
Well played. Best April Fools ever.
Joe
K5AD

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:44 am »

SWMBO complained the other night that I didn't have a multimeter in the house that measured temperature.

My Tek DMM916 did a pork roast on Monday. I know you have a few of those.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2014, 05:24:08 am »
My Tek DMM916 did a pork roast on Monday.
If you are interested, I would like to see you start a new thread on possibly repairing/troubleshooting this meter?  I might be able to make some suggestions?

PS. As soon as I saw the thermistors, varistors and fusible resistor, I knew it was a very good April Fool's joke.  :-+

Offline Michael_M

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:53 am »
It's a very great product. I have to do many projects at school specifically with microcontrollers and custom PCB-s. So yeah...Would be great to have one of these. :)

Offline TheRuler8510

• Regular Contributor
  • RF Engineer
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:18 am »

I didn't know it was an April Fool's prank until today after listening to the Amp Hour. The funny thing is, I have been carefully scrutinizing every video starting on Apr 1 waiting for a gag. So, I guess I was out-flanked! Last years tricked me too.

Great entertainment on your channel Dave, thanks!
"There are no facts, only interpretations."
--Friederich Nietzsche

Offline eripaha

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52:06 am »
Im interested in hearing who got the multimeter?

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:31 am »
"Thank you for your message. While we’ve received an overwhelming interest in the 114/117 DIY Fluke Kit featured in EEVblog #597, it was in fact developed by Dave Jones from scratch, for fun, as an April Fool’s joke. We don’t currently have plans to build this kit, but we are certainly passing your enthusiasm for it on to our product planning team. Join us in congratulating Dave on a well-executed prank!

Best,
The Fluke Team"

:D

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:35 pm »
"Thank you for your message. While we’ve received an overwhelming interest in the 114/117 DIY Fluke Kit featured in EEVblog #597, it was in fact developed by Dave Jones from scratch, for fun, as an April Fool’s joke. We don’t currently have plans to build this kit, but we are certainly passing your enthusiasm for it on to our product planning team. Join us in congratulating Dave on a well-executed prank!

Best,
The Fluke Team"

:scared: :'( :-//

Offline icon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »
swmbo

Rather older than that; Mortimer borrows from Rider Haggard's 'She' - Ayesha is know as SWMBO.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2014, 07:24:34 am »
Thanks for that, I will read it. I actually love the old movie King Solomons Mines.

Damn SWMBO knows the book and just gave away the ending.  :palm:

Offline Reno380

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »
I had a home fire and lost all my equipment. I am slowly replacing, my O-scope, my desoldering station, jumper wires, breadboards, everything, gone. Because I did not list them on my home owners insurance, they will not cover any of it. I had 2 flukes, now I am stuck with a Harbor Freight tools $20 tester. I enjoy projects, this would be the best of both worlds for me. Able to build my own Fluke AND own\use it again.

I hope I am the one!!

Offline c9lb8

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
im just getting into electronics, i've got a decent soldering iron, desoldering station, and a few other odds and ends but i don't have a multimeter and i don't want to get a crappy one but money is tight and i cant afford to buy a decent meter

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2014, 05:40:49 am »
im just getting into electronics, i've got a decent soldering iron, desoldering station, and a few other odds and ends but i don't have a multimeter and i don't want to get a crappy one but money is tight and i cant afford to buy a decent meter

I would certainly have prioritized the meter prior to a desoldering station.  I have an oscilloscope, function generator, very nice multimeter, three quality lab power supplies, hot air station, and I don't even have a desoldering station.  I have a desoldering station in a can, it's called desoldering braid and it has never not worked and it costs about six bucks for a good sized roll.

Get a multimeter.  Otherwise, any problem is a guessing game.  And a $10 cheapo is just fine.  Just don't use it on line voltages, DC only.

Cheap, but not too cheap:

www.ebay.com/itm/New-VC97-3999-Auto-range-multimeter-AC-DC-R-C-F-Temp-/290528212784

Obscenely cheap, not even auto-ranging:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Multimeter-XL-830L-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohmmeter-OHM-VOLT-Tester-USA-/121321843160

Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2014, 08:00:41 am »
Every day I visit this forum with the anticipation of Dave asking for my address.  ;D

Offline eripaha

• Contributor
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »
I need to add that i also need a good multimeter so that i can get to space

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:02 am »
Something I dont understand here.

Did Dave say he is giving away the multimeter? If so I didn't hear it.

If he did, it should go to one of the guys who already posted. So we probably dont need any more posts about people wanting a multimeter.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:53 am »

If he did, it should go to one of the guys who already posted. So we probably dont need any more posts about people wanting a multimeter.

He did on this thread on page nine:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-597-fluke-114-kit-multimeter-sparkfunfluke-rant-29012/msg418175/#msg418175

But maybe he forgot so people keep on asking.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2014, 09:26:21 pm »

He did on this thread on page nine:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-597-fluke-114-kit-multimeter-sparkfunfluke-rant-29012/msg418175/#msg418175

But maybe he forgot so people keep on asking.

He actually mentioned it on page one and in the description text of the video:

[...] GIVEAWAY: I'll be giving this multimeter away to the most needy - but only if you bothered to read this video description!
So if you want it, leave a comment saying why you should have it. [...]

:-DMM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:30:50 pm by Hal_9000_de »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:00 am »
Sure, I stand corrected.
I was just wondering what was going on as it didn't recall him saying that.
Good luck to you guys.

I reiterate Han should win, he is funniest.

well,

Offline Rudane

• Regular Contributor
    • Electrical Engineering 101
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2014, 04:56:50 am »
I'm pretty sure he mentioned on his twitter feed about the kit, but it was a "oh yah, I totally forgot". It would seem he has forgotten again.  :palm:
Voltage appears across and current flows through.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:06 pm »
In the meantime I have attained the state of moral maturity which allows me to receive the "kit".

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2014, 01:38:02 am »

You were indeed the first, so congrats, the Fluke 117 is all yours. Send me your address.

Offline Hal_9000_de

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2014, 10:31:52 pm »
Congratulations, juanfermed! Have fun with the Fluke. :)

Offline randburke@gmail.com

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2014, 02:18:58 am »
My name is Randal, and I truly need and deserve this meter. My health has been in decline for some years now, and I was finally diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis, and my decreased visual field of view makes it so I can no longer use an analog meter.
Please consider my situation.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:37:31 am by randburke@gmail.com »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2014, 03:57:09 am »
My name is Randal, and I truly need and deserve this meter. My health has been in decline for some years now, and I was finally diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis, and my decreased visual field of view makes it so I can no longer use an analog meter.
Please consider my situation.

Thanks!

You probably missed it on the previous page, but I think the meter is gone, and sorry about your ailments, that sucks

You were indeed the first, so congrats, the Fluke 117 is all yours. Send me your address.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2014, 05:08:58 am »
juanfermed, congrats on the meter. Just keep this one locked up somewhere. :)

Offline digital

• Contributor
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
April fool.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf