Author Topic: EEVblog #799 - How To Remove Warranty Void Security Stickers  (Read 31461 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog #799 - How To Remove Warranty Void Security Stickers
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
How to remove those pesky Warranty Void If Removed security stickers, without voiding your warranty.
Two Minute Tech Tip

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:26:00 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #799 - How To Remove Warranty Void Security Stickers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:45 pm »
How to remove those pesky Warranty Void If Removed security stickers, without voiding your warranty.
Two Minute Tech Tip

www.metube.com/watch?v=colVXihqdG

Bad link (missing an 'o'), try this:

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:28:09 pm »
I used the same method to remove the Sticker from my Rigol PSU. But I removed the whole sticker and put it away if I need it later.
To remove the sticker I used this special coated paper where new stickers are initially sticked on. Does this papes has a name?  :-//
This special coating doesn't wearout the adhesive. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:31:46 pm by medvedev »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:50:40 pm »
Very useful trick. Mike has a similar video.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 01:54:14 pm »
There was no such security sticker on my Agilent DSOX2002A back in 2013. BTW there are more videos on this topic.

Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Monittosan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:07 pm »
I used the same method to remove the Sticker from my Rigol PSU. But I removed the whole sticker and put it away if I need it later.
To remove the sticker I used this special coated paper where new stickers are initially sticked on. Does this papes has a name?  :-//
This special coating doesn't wearout the adhesive. :)

wax paper  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:10:40 pm »
Haven't done it myself yet but I thought people warmed them up with hairdryers and they just peel right off.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:19:56 pm »

Does this papes has a name?  :-//

wax paper  :-+

I've heard it called "release paper". I get the sheets of free children's stickers and throw away the stickers and reuse the release paper. 

Wax paper doesn't work very well for me any more, they don't put enough way on it and things still stick.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:15:15 pm »
Next they will introduce something inside the case that gets physically broken when you open it up, a light-sensing material that is normally sandwiched between parts of the case that would never otherwise see the light of day, or some electrical contact that trips a sensor powered by the backup battery (or all of the above... I'm sure there are more methods). All of these could be installed in the factory under conditions that you normally wouldn't be able to replicate to put things back together the way they were originally.

So the question is, what is the purpose of even using these stickers? Warranty is time-dependent. After that, you are on your own. The hell with the sticker, just cut it off and do whatever you want with your own equipment. Can someone explain to me what the point is?

Cool video though... I'm sure it will come in handy, but please someone explain why we need to put it back? And what do manufacturers really do when there is a problem, will they screw over their customer base because a sticker is ripped because the user had a go inside the thing? And why would they mess around inside in the first-place if it was still under warranty?

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »
I store my stickers separately from the equipment  :-DD

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
Haven't done it myself yet but I thought people warmed them up with hairdryers and they just peel right off.
It helps for releasing, but then a lot of glue remains on the case and then sticker might not hold well when applying it again.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »
They should put a "Warranty void is not broken" sticker instead ;)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
So the question is, what is the purpose of even using these stickers? Warranty is time-dependent. After that, you are on your own. The hell with the sticker, just cut it off and do whatever you want with your own equipment. Can someone explain to me what the point is?

The point of it is to prevent companies spending money on warranty repairs where the fault has been caused by clumsy idiots blundering around inside the device.  If the device has been opened within the warranty period, then you have voided the terms of the warranty so the manufacturer can refuse to repair it (for free).

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 04:42:08 pm »
I've always believed that these stickers cannot be enforced.  Most countries now have laws that enable a guaranteed time limited warranty against manufacturing defects, and this is not something that a manufacturer can simply void away by making the sticker a condition of the warranty.

Most warranties are written to limit your rights, but cannot void your rights completely.   The sticker might be legal only as a condition of a Full Warranty, sometimes also known as a Voluntary Warranty (i.e. the written warranty that might provide additional warranty protection above what your state or country already provides for in the statutes).

I think this was challenged once with ASUS in America, and maybe there are other examples in case law.

* In the USA, there is the States' Lemon Laws, and the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that mandate implied warranties that cannot be taken away. 

* I thought Australia has the ACCC  that covers this?

* Canada has the Canadian Competition Act that prevents something called "tied-selling" that ties you to approved service only, or approved parts, or approved anything.. i.e. breaking the sticker to make a repair or service it with something or at some shop that they didn't approve of is perfectly legal in Canada and cannot void your warranty.

Furthermore, even the statutes sometimes have a clause that says a manufacturer is perfectly within it's rights to void your warranty if they can prove that you DID NOT PROPERLY MAINTAIN IT. How can you maintain it if you cannot open it up to clean it?  For example, if you use the device in a dusty environment, you'll want to open it up to clean it and prevent failure. If it fails because you couldn't clean it, you might try to get a replacement under the warranty, and they might be able to legally deny you.  However, in order to maintain the device, i.e. clean the dust out, you have to break the sticker, and then the manufacturer says they will deny you because you broke the sticker. That's clearly a catch-22 situation that you cannot avoid.

PS: IANAL

Offline LinkZ

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 05:06:34 pm »
Useless as always, Dave.  :--  ::)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »
Hmm, doing all this trouble while recording it for youtube, something tells me that is not the best way :-)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »
hmm, why is this video not on the blog website ?

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:04 pm »
Hmm, doing all this trouble while recording it for youtube, something tells me that is not the best way :-)

Why?

Do you think he would worry about it as a regular user?

He's a controversial but yet recognized public figure. If shown products and sponsors are okay and get promoted by this website, all goes okay.

This isn't your typical electronics website. Dave is a geek, but surely a very unconventional one.

Some people might not like his style, but I find him very funny and didactic. I just wish he really gets more resources, associate with other videobloggers and makes more cool OSHW that makes things in a cheaper and great way.

And while others might think putting Sagan is sentimental manipulation, I find it cute and very interesting how is geeks could show them our stuff to any little people or even our own ones. I find amusing to see how these small "demons" react intuitively to technology, maybe we have something to learn from them :D

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »
Hold your horses, I was not serious. I just thought it was funny to remove the sticker very careful so no-one can see you opened it while half the electronics community and the dealer is watching it. I know it was just a tip for his viewers and not a serious action to hide his own action.

I have seen most of his video's so I know his style.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:17 pm »
I've always believed that these stickers cannot be enforced.  Most countries now have laws that enable a guaranteed time limited warranty against manufacturing defects, and this is not something that a manufacturer can simply void away by making the sticker a condition of the warranty.
The warranty is only to cover defects in manufacturing.

If the sticker is broken then manufacturers can claim it's because of something the user did. Oscilloscopes are delicate, people are perfectly capable of poking around inside them with screwdrivers while it was powered on. The manufacturers shouldn't have to pay for that by giving them a free repair/replacement.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:28:56 pm by Fungus »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 07:55:21 pm »
The warranty stickers are utter nonsense. I'm sorry but equipment gets bashed about, moved, scraped, etc. If the sticker gets torn during the move from one desk to another, or scratched with a test probe or something the warranty is void? really?

It's just theatrics. The law (at least in the UK) won't let them off with that nonsense. In fact if a piece of equipment is less than 6 months old then no matter what is wrong with it the default is any problem is considered a manufacturing fault - even if the problem is the idiot using the equipment, it is for the manufacturer to prove it was the user who broke it and a poxy little sticker is not adequate proof.

That then gets on to the usual 12 months warranty. Again that is actually not the law. A piece of equipment should last as long as should be expected for what it is - determined by the courts. This will often mean much longer than 12 months. I would say all test equipment is expected to last longer, however the onus is then on the user to prove the failure was caused by a manufacturing defect rather than himself or fair wear and tear.

Offline eV1Te

• Regular Contributor
  • Your trusted friend in science!
    • richardandersson.net
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 08:32:07 pm »
I usually remove the sticker completely, even any remaining adhesive residues. If anyone would ask about a "warranty void" sticker I would just say it did not have any when I bought it. Would be hard for them to prove that I removed it. But that has never happened I do not think anyone cares about the stickers.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »

So these laws also apply to non consumer products such as oscilloscopes?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 02:01:25 am »
* I thought Australia has the ACCC  that covers this?
As with most things, its complicated. For instance:

So these laws also apply to non consumer products such as oscilloscopes?
That would depend on how it was purchased, if an Australian in Australia bought it from an Australian shop with their personal name on the invoice/receipt then it was a consumer purchase and treated as such. As the owner of the product you would be entitled to dismantle the product and it would likely be on the onus of the manufacturer (or party representing them) to prove how damage had been caused by the user ignoring the instructions for use which usually include "do not open [product] no user serviceable parts inside". I have successfully received refunds for and replacements of products that were deficient where the problems/faults were only able to be found by disassembling the product.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 02:41:46 am »
Useless as always, Dave.  :--  ::)

Why are you still subscribed then?
Why watch videos you think are always useless?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf