Author Topic: Element 14 giving away Agilent 3000X's?  (Read 15932 times)

Offline ally

• Contributor
Re: Element 14 giving away Agilent 3000X's?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:57 am »
The only thing that annoys me with roadtests - some people literally write nothing at all. For example, the Agilent U1272A... I spent a while on it, and updated the review over time. Then you have people who spent about five minutes, such as
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003
If I'm not lucky enough to receive one of the Agilent MSOX3024As I sure hope whoever does get one puts some effort into their review.

Yeah, that's the problem, most people just don't care and don't want to give back. I think they should go to an established reviewers, especially with really high end stuff like this.
I mean, and Agilent 3000X, wow, I thought I was lucky to get one, I know other reviewers that didn't get to keep theirs. And here are three up for grabs.
I think it's a crime if you don't get one John! yours are the best road test reviews by far that I've seen.

Dave.

Dave, it's a conclusion I've come to as well. I was thinking about 75% good reviewers and 25% random to keep things fresh. Any who don't write a review, or a bad one, removed from the trusted list and any who write a good one added to it. I won't be doing the Agilent draw. BTW the "what would you use it for" space doesn't count for the majority of roadtests. Reviewers are generally drawn using a RNG. I should add that you should fill that box in, we give the suppliers data like number of entrants, reasons and geographical areas which allows them to keep supporting rt and giving away more products
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:42:58 am by ally »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:51 am »
Reviewers are generally drawn using a RNG.

That's ok for the low end stuff, but I'd hate to think that's the case for the Agilent scopes. They deserve to go to the top quality reviewers only.

Dave.

Offline ally

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:45 am »
Reviewers are generally drawn using a RNG.

That's ok for the low end stuff, but I'd hate to think that's the case for the Agilent scopes. They deserve to go to the top quality reviewers only.

Dave.

I wouldn't disagree with that. TBH we never expected to be handed that much value of equipment to give away in a roadtest

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
I wouldn't disagree with that. TBH we never expected to be handed that much value of equipment to give away in a roadtest

Did Agilent give you these for this purpose?, or are they coming out Element 14's pocket?

Dave.

Offline ally

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:03 am »
Agilent gave us them for roadtest

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 09:33:17 am »
The only thing that annoys me with roadtests - some people literally write nothing at all. For example, the Agilent U1272A... I spent a while on it, and updated the review over time. Then you have people who spent about five minutes, such as
http://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/1003
If I'm not lucky enough to receive one of the Agilent MSOX3024As I sure hope whoever does get one puts some effort into their review.

Yeah, that's the problem, most people just don't care and don't want to give back. I think they should go to an established reviewers, especially with really high end stuff like this.
I mean, and Agilent 3000X, wow, I thought I was lucky to get one, I know other reviewers that didn't get to keep theirs. And here are three up for grabs.
I think it's a crime if you don't get one John! yours are the best road test reviews by far that I've seen.

Dave.
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. Will just have to wait and see what happens come July 18th - hopefully my numbers come up  ::)

Alex

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
I'd apply myself, but that might look a tad greedy on my part  ;)

They are not intended to be stacked Dave  ;)

I was thinking about 75% good reviewers and 25% random to keep things fresh. Any who don't write a review, or a bad one, removed from the trusted list and any who write a good one added to it. I won't be doing the Agilent draw. BTW the "what would you use it for" space doesn't count for the majority of roadtests. Reviewers are generally drawn using a RNG. I should add that you should fill that box in, we give the suppliers data like number of entrants, reasons and geographical areas which allows them to keep supporting rt and giving away more products

There was provision for an email and telephone number as well on the application form. You could contact the shortlisted candidates and gauge up that 25% for such roadtests.

I've never demo'd sold Tek stuff. Be interesting if someone with the same unusual name was in the same business!

I think I have his card somewhere...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:57 am »

I can can make'em stack, I'm sure!

Dave.

Alex

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 09:59:56 am »

I can can make'em stack, I'm sure!

Dave.

Hmmm...I dont know...you are a bit short of space in your lab...would not want to force a bench cleanup upon you. ;D

How about positioning one next to another and using a delayed trigger for the second one (built in delay or external signal)? If the first scope trigger is set at the far left of the screen and the second trigger is delayed by the total time period of the first scope, then you should be able to get a very wide view of the signal across two screens spanning two time bases. With the already rather wide (for its class) built-in screen, that would be impressive.

I will need two scopes for my review e14,Agilent. Thank you.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
BTW the "what would you use it for" space doesn't count for the majority of roadtests. Reviewers are generally drawn using a RNG. I should add that you should fill that box in, we give the suppliers data like number of entrants, reasons and geographical areas which allows them to keep supporting rt and giving away more products

Oh...  whoops ;)  The reason I gave for entering the Agilent roadtest draw was something along the lines of "who wouldn't want to try one of these out?" -- at least it's honest, I guess...  Although I did provide something more useful for when applying for the previous Microchip RF roadtest so I won't feel too bad about it!

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:20 pm »
tronixstuff got it ... LOL    ;D

Hey tronixstuff we should play a lotto ticket together, and share the profits.  ;)

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 01:36:06 pm »
tronixstuff got it ... LOL    ;D
Hey tronixstuff we should play a lotto ticket together, and share the profits.  ;)
In the end three MSOs were handed out. Hopefully mine arrives in the next week or so. Have already been doing some research on the use and some demo applications for it, however I'm 110% busy for the next few weeks - plus travel. Grr.

Lotto? You pay for a licence to dream until the draw :)

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:04 pm »
I am running behind you at full speed  ;D LOL
Just ordered the educational CD from Agilent. 
Speaking about research and demo applications, I will watch out to not damage my few free braincells.  ;)

Relax , take your time, do your best   :)

Alex

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
Congratulations to those selected!

I think selected is a better word to 'winners' as looking at the profiles they were the safe choice. I am glad established reviewers were selected for this review so that the profile of RoadTests is not adversely affected and more reviews will come.

The value the company gets from 5k worth of equipment is tremendous. Think about it, how much would a review based traditional marketing tools ask for a 20 page review...? Also, the review would probably be detached from the truth which can be provided only by the end user.

I am very interested in the three reviews. I would especially find very useful a section on the suitability/pros/cons of these units for an educational establishment like a technical college or university, as well as stuff I wont find in th user's manual.

Lotto? You pay for a licence to dream until the draw
It is worth dreaming if the pot is full. Like the winners of the Scottish jackpot of £161m found out.

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 03:23:41 am »
I don't mind the element 14 website that much, but originally when it came online I was hoping/thought it was going to be more of an information service aimed at design help. Ie code snippets, discussion of regs, tutorials on the current programmable logic/uC's. All the sorts of things engineers have trouble getting. But when I look at it its a real online hacker community of DIYers playing with gadgets and 'cool' circuits (not that its a bad thing I guess), but its not for me.

Offline Semantics

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:15 pm »
Congratulations to those selected!

I think selected is a better word to 'winners' as looking at the profiles they were the safe choice. I am glad established reviewers were selected for this review so that the profile of RoadTests is not adversely affected and more reviews will come.

It was absolutely the right thing to occur, but, I don't think they should have opened it up to everyone and their mothers if they never had (and should not have) a ghosts chance of getting selected! Kind of like when an employer posts a job opening only superficially when they already know who is going to get it. They could have called it "Super RoadTest" or something that shows the benefits of reviewing.

It'll be quite telling comparing how many people signed up for those Agilent scope RoadTests as opposed to the newly posted one for TI's FRAM demo board.  :P

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
Maybe there are different laws governing how to sell to individuals vs comanies in different countries?

Farnell sell to anyone here in the UK but I've been told they no longer offer free delivery, at least not for individuals anyway.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »
It's nothing to do with law- just company policy, although the latter may be influenced by differences in consumer protection laws between countries, as well as policies of their competitors.
In practice it's usually more about avoiding small orders and timewasters, as in practice anyone can invent a company name.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:21:39 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
although the latter may be influenced by differences in consumer protection laws between countries,

Consumer protection laws have been harmonized in the EU. And not just yesterday, the directive is from 1997. Still Farnell does not sell to individuals in some EU countries, but does so in others. Consumer protection laws are a common excuse, but really not the reason. They just think they don't need the money.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 06:52:10 pm »
But when I look at it its a real online hacker community of DIYers playing with gadgets and 'cool' circuits (not that its a bad thing I guess), but its not for me.

Community? After two years and a vast amount of promotion it gets about 30 posts a day. Half of those are on Eagle support, half of what remains seem somehow to be from people paid to post and half of what's left is from complete idiots like a guy asking an Agilent rep where to buy a Triac, or a guy asking for a 150v 100A switcher design which after quizzing he revealed needed to run from a 15A 110v socket. As a 'community' it is a huge fail.

It could be useful as an informal contact path to supplier representatives but it is so painful seeing them politely answering questions from idiots. Apart from that and Eagle support the chances of finding something interesting or getting a useful answer to a question there are so slim it isn't worth looking or asking.

IMO the social networking web2.0rhea drivel format of the site puts most people off before they even start.

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:22 pm »
But when I look at it its a real online hacker community of DIYers playing with gadgets and 'cool' circuits (not that its a bad thing I guess), but its not for me.

Community? After two years and a vast amount of promotion it gets about 30 posts a day. Half of those are on Eagle support, half of what remains seem somehow to be from people paid to post and half of what's left is from complete idiots like a guy asking an Agilent rep where to buy a Triac, or a guy asking for a 150v 100A switcher design which after quizzing he revealed needed to run from a 15A 110v socket. As a 'community' it is a huge fail.

It could be useful as an informal contact path to supplier representatives but it is so painful seeing them politely answering questions from idiots. Apart from that and Eagle support the chances of finding something interesting or getting a useful answer to a question there are so slim it isn't worth looking or asking.

IMO the social networking web2.0rhea drivel format of the site puts most people off before they even start.

Well.. perhaps the word community was a bit vulgar.. but I think the mistake they made was to try to cater to the Maker crowd. It seems to me there are already plenty of sites doing that. For parts at least their own MCM electronics division is for those guys. It should of been an engineering info service I think as I stated - as no-one has done that well. Getting introductory app's information from some of their component suppliers can sometimes be like pulling teeth, so there's an opportunity there. But instead they concentrated on Ben Heck stuffing an X-box into a laptop and now Jeri is there making transistors. I'm sure that stuff has an audience, but I don't think its the professional community. It would have been nice if they had gotten some of their engineers - I believe they have some - and had them provide reference designs, the tut's and code for entry into the dev products they sell. But thats just my 2c and I'm sure the Maker guys want to stick a fork in me.

Offline Semantics

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »
Well.. perhaps the word community was a bit vulgar.. but I think the mistake they made was to try to cater to the Maker crowd. It seems to me there are already plenty of sites doing that.

That's the thing: communities around every subject seem to grow organically, and cannot be made to appear by some marketing VP's edict. The internet is full of failed .coms that really believed "if you build it, they will come" but didn't realize "if you build it late, they won't come." If something is "hot" and "up and coming" the landgrab is already crowding you out.

While I'm not a professional electronics guy, I like professional groups because there's a lot of practical info to absorb. I haven't needed information on anything that had me wind up on Element14. And that doesn't particularly bother me, live and let live after all. But I will feel bad for those that really like it when the parent company decides to stop throwing the good money after the bad and discontinues it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:23 am »

Hmm, 30 posts a day for the amount of money, time and effort put in seems like a very poor ROI. But that was fairly predictable from the start, the usability of the site is just terrible and from what I see has not really improved much. So much so it's a bit of a running joke on TheAmpHour!

The EEVblog forum gets an average of over 87 posts per day  :P

Dave.

Offline shadowless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:00 am »
Dave,

hope they let you give away a few Agilent 3000x soon. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf