Author Topic: Have you ever seen a room messier?  (Read 9567 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Have you ever seen a room messier?
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:10:03 am »
I am ashamed to say, yes, this is my bedroom/office. And I have managed to really screw it up.... It was at this point I realized I should probably clean this....

As a forum game, have you ever seen a worse off room, and for bonus points, is your room worse than mine?

Ahhh shit. I better get started. :P

I will post pictures of my room after the cleaning, I do have some pretty interesting stuff under all that, uh, stuff.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
Re: Have you ever seen a room messier?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:58:44 am »
At least you can see some of the floor in one of the pics.

QST magazine sometimes runs a 'messy shack' contest.  Pictures at http://vertikal.biz/userfiles/file/MessyShackContest.pdf

Someone ought to come up with a ratings system for messiness.

I was initially thinking it could be in units like okta as used for cloud cover (0 okta = all floor visible to 8 okta = all covered) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okta

There could also be average height of what's on the floor - eg ankle deep, knee deep, etc. 

But it would be more informative to include the type of mess.

Since a room full of electronic junk, even if knee or chest high, does not, in my mind, qualify for maximum mess.

Hence I propose the following objective scale of messiness (which if rewritten could be put to music like the 12 Days of Christmas):

1. Electronics & papers only

2. Electronics, papers & empty cups/drink cans only

3. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, clean clothes

4. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, clean clothes, sawdust or filings

5. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, clean clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes

6. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, clean clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies)

7. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, unwashed clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies)

8. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, unwashed clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies), moist food stuffs in contact with pourous surfaces

9. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, unwashed clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies), wet food in contact with pourous surfaces, uneaten meat

10. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, unwashed clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies), wet food in contact with pourous surfaces, uneaten meat, old (used) bandages

11. Electronics, papers, empty cups/drink cans, unwashed clothes, sawdust or filings, dirty dishes, dry food remnants (eg biscuits & lollies), wet food in contact with pourous surfaces, uneaten meat, old (used) bandages and dead mice or larger

12. All the above plus certain fluids and solids that belong in the smallest room only.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:00:24 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
This pic of Jim Williams will no doubt appear at some point, so as delay the inevitable:

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:30 am »
As a forum game, have you ever seen a worse off room, and for bonus points, is your room worse than mine?
Unfortunately yes, but luckily not in real life.
These kind of pictures you unwillingly get to see if people that (chain)smoke are using computers, sorry to blind you, I for one can not get it out of my head.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:12:47 pm »
These kind of pictures you unwillingly get to see if people that (chain)smoke are using computers, sorry to blind you, I for one can not get it out of my head.

I feel better about myself now...
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
This pic of Jim Williams will no doubt appear at some point, so as delay the inevitable:

That is not a mess, it is a controlled chaos!

The following users thanked this post: stargonjie

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »

OK serious question time...what is in all of those bottles?  It's not urine is it?  Because it looks like urine, and I can't think of anything else it could be.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:17:42 pm »

That was/is LITERALLY the type of desk one of my co-workers had, in a little TV repair shop in New Zealand.
Maybe I still have a photo somewhere. So terrible......

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
I am ashamed to say, yes, this is my bedroom/office.

A single room - shoot that ain't nothin' - I'll see your room and raise you an entire house. Here's just a few shots of my neighbor's house.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:31:49 pm »
OK serious question time...what is in all of those bottles?  It's not urine is it?  Because it looks like urine, and I can't think of anything else it could be.
I have no idea and really I do not want to know esp. after your guess  ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 04:39:02 pm »
I have no idea and really I do not want to know esp. after your guess  ;D

Cigarette butts dropped into part used bottles of water to extinguish them. You can clearly see them in the foreground bottle.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 05:36:32 pm »
There is a difference between clutter and mess. I'm not sure how to define it exactly, but I think it may have something to do with potential usefulness.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:18 pm »
That questions a lot of people. But it makes sense, toilet is too far away while online multiplaying.
This should be an improvement. It should perhaps feature some trapdoor to not expose myself to water level.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:46:21 pm »
What the fuck? and you parents are OK with it? and why in the world do you have a really old computer on your desk? this is your room, not your lab, this is where you impress the ladies lol

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:01 am »
That's pretty atrocious TwoOfFive.

To be fair enough, my "work space" both at work and at home is rather chaotic. Piles of parts everywhere, paperwork, etc... but I know exactly where everything is and how deep in which pile a specific bit of paper is. My supervisor constantly tells me to clean it up. But it's the way I've always been, good luck changing it!

However it's always kept clean, meaning that I throw away garbage and never keep food scraps or forgotten beverages around. There is a difference between being untidy and just grubby.

The rest of the house on the other hand is spotless. Even a smudge mark on a cupboard door or on the fridge would bother me. Same with my car. Nothing is ever left on the floor or on seats. Also, smells annoy me, everything needs to smell clean (which comes down to throwing away rubbish).

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:08 am »

A single room - shoot that ain't nothin' - I'll see your room and raise you an entire house. Here's just a few shots of my neighbor's house.

I don't know what country you're in, but here in the US there's a TV show called Hoarders. Basically they go in and try to help people like your neighbor.

Hoarding is actually a psychological condition, with a number of root causes. These people are incapable of throwing stuff out. So the show sends in a psychologist that specializes in hoarding to help prepare the person, then they send in a cleanup crew that basically throws *everything* away. The person then continues weekly therapy with the psychologist and the show follows up 6 months later to see how they're doing.

Most of the time it's really sad. :(

Where I used to live, I was training for my EMT-Basic certification at the Volunteer Rescue Squad. So I'm doing an evening shift, sitting in the break room and a new episode of Hoarders comes on the TV. It was about one of the other paramedics! Apparently this woman had been with the squad for 10 years and nobody had a clue she lived that way. Somehow she had avoided having anyone over to her house in those 10 years. Having met this woman, I would have never guessed she lived like that, so it goes to show you it can pretty much be anyone.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:59 am »
This pic of Jim Williams will no doubt appear at some point

As will this picture of Bob Pease's office:

The following users thanked this post: Iwanushka, Vtile

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:59 am »
My living space just a few minutes ago. It only gets messier if the scope is on the right table.

You could build some simple risers for your table to give a second tier -  ::) well, but the tables might collapse ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 01:20:06 am »
Bob Pease

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 01:27:00 am »
Even better, at the 1min mark:
"I refuse to panic"  :-DD
And his car at 3:40  :-DD  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, helius

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 06:54:01 am »
By no means am I proud of my room, which is why I said I am ashamed to say this is my room. I have a severe mental and physical condition that prohibits me from keeping my shit clean. It's called being lazy.

And I am working on my room, it's getting better and better.

What the fuck? and you parents are OK with it? and why in the world do you have a really old computer on your desk? this is your room, not your lab, this is where you impress the ladies lol

lolwhat

nobody said my parents were okay with it, hence why I clean it when it gets like this.

And as for the old computer, that's part of the cool stuff I plan to showcase once I clean this crap up.

That's pretty atrocious TwoOfFive.

To be fair enough, my "work space" both at work and at home is rather chaotic. Piles of parts everywhere, paperwork, etc... but I know exactly where everything is and how deep in which pile a specific bit of paper is. My supervisor constantly tells me to clean it up. But it's the way I've always been, good luck changing it!

However it's always kept clean, meaning that I throw away garbage and never keep food scraps or forgotten beverages around. There is a difference between being untidy and just grubby.

The rest of the house on the other hand is spotless. Even a smudge mark on a cupboard door or on the fridge would bother me. Same with my car. Nothing is ever left on the floor or on seats. Also, smells annoy me, everything needs to smell clean (which comes down to throwing away rubbish).

Yeah. When it gets clean it normally stays clean for a while. But eventually one thing I forget to throw out, then the next, and then.

Well this.

Either way, I hope to finish this tonight (It is 1:53AM here, and I'm probably not going to be able to fall asleep any time soon. Sleeping is fun, but getting to sleep sucks.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:06 am »
Update:

Before

After

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 08:55:59 am »

They are hoarders!

Have you ever seen that show? It amazing and real disease, but in one episode this lady was just lazy. Shes about 40 and lives on disability; first thing she says on camera is "I have 12 different disabilities.". I bet most are idiopathic things that are hard to medically prove like fibromyalgia and depression. She showed none of the normal symptoms like freaking out when people tried to throw away the garbage or ha some type of traumatic event that triggered it. At one point in the show she got pissed off and jump out of her chair as she was walking away she realized the camera was n her and she starts limping.As some one who could be disabled (I refuse to give in to my injury) the hardest part is getting out of your chair and gets easier as you take a few steps, not the other way around. She then said it was her kids fault for not cleaning up after her fat lazy ass. I see these people at the pain management doctor ( a special doctor here in the US that perscribes narcotics because the DEA is freaking out about them ever since Prince over dosed). These people just complain all the time, don't  want to get better and just want to get high off pain pills. They are almost always uneducated trailer trash with criminal records. They are totally unreasonable to deal with both on and off the drugs, and will just try to converse with you non stop about how much this and that hurts and how nothing works. There houses all look like that too! A mess just like them. Sad. 
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:09 am »
This is my work space. I need to build another level.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:59 am »
Even better, at the 1min mark:
"I refuse to panic"  :-DD
And his car at 3:40  :-DD  :-DD
He was driving a VW Beatle, without any modern safety features, and he died in a car accident  :'(
While I was smiling during the video, realizing this made me very sad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf