Author Topic: Can I use DC Motor with 5V DC supply directly or I have to use something??  (Read 2154 times)

Offline jimmy2447Topic starter

Helo guysss... this is my first post in this forum..  looks very great forum.
My problem is that im not sure weather to connect a DC Motor directly to 5V or 2.5V DC directly is good or It can make the DC Motor damage.. sorry for any idiotic words..

Offline Robartes_m

• Contributor
Re: Can I use DC Motor with 5V DC supply directly or I have to use something??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:34:25 am »
Helo guysss... this is my first post in this forum..  looks very great forum.
My problem is that im not sure weather to connect a DC Motor directly to 5V or 2.5V DC directly is good or It can make the DC Motor damage.. sorry for any idiotic words..

Yes, you can run it directly from 5V - that's why it's called a 5V DC motor  ;). However, if you want to drive it from a microcontroller or logic gate output, you will need a transistor to switch it as the current it draws is usually too much for a logic gate.

If you want to run the motor bidirectionally (ie able to turn clockwise and anticlockwise) you will need something called an H-bridge. You can build it yourself out of 4 MOSFETs or use one of the many H-bridge / motor driver ICs available.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:27:59 am »
thanks very much... and another thing i have to ask that how to know the working voltage range for a DC Motor.. it does not have any mark on it.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:39:29 am »
If you post a picture we may be able to give you an approximate voltage range. 
The higher the voltage you feed a brushed motor, the faster it can spin.  Off the top of my head there are three things that limit the maximum voltage you can run a brushed DC motor at:
 - Maximum heat dissipation.  Motors heat up, especially if they are doing lots of work.  eg if your motor is driving something uphill then it will get much hotter than if it is spinning with nothing attached.
 - Maximum insulation and creepage voltage.  Generally this is way above the voltage you would normally run the motor at (well above 20 or probably even 50V)
 - Maximum mechanical speed.  At some point the motor will self destruct.  At different speeds and conditions it will wear at different rates.

Most often the first problem of thermal limitations is what you hit first.  Power that can be dissipated (heat) increases dramatically as you increase the voltage.  Most small, cheap, brushed DC motors will happily run on 5V without problems, provided you are not stalling them.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
Thank u very much sir.. appreciate ur help.  :-+ :)

Offline lichao

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:05:12 am »
In order to use with an Arduino, you need to use a mosfet or H-bridge with external power. mcu itself cannot provide enough current.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf