Author Topic: Newbie looking for soldering supplies  (Read 4827 times)

Offline MAntunesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Newbie looking for soldering supplies
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been using an very old JBC iron for my projects and I'd like to get a new soldering iron/station.
I've been looking at the Ersa i-Con Pico, but 150€ is a bit to much for me right now.

As an alternative I've been also looking at the TS100, the new TS80 that hasn't come out yet and some of the generic soldering stations with Hakko T12 tips.
What's your feedback on all these?

I can't buy directly from China unless the product costs less than 22€, because of customs duties. Some stores like Gearbest or Banggood offer some shipping methods that avoid customs in Portugal, so if I'm buying from China, it would be better if it was from these shops.

In terms of solder (leaded) and flux, what are the best options in terms of price/quality? Are the Chinese options worth anything?

Thank you!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Newbie looking for soldering supplies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:05 pm »
Search, search, search. This question has been asked, and answered, repeatedly. Especially when it comes to solder, nothing has changed for years.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:35:35 am »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:47:42 am by sn4k3 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:47:50 pm »
Search, search, search. This question has been asked, and answered, repeatedly. Especially when it comes to solder, nothing has changed for years.

I've searched a lot. But there are so many options to go for...

Is there ETA and price for the TS80? I don't mind waiting...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 05:49:16 pm by MAntunes »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been using an very old JBC iron for my projects and I'd like to get a new soldering iron/station.
I've been looking at the Ersa i-Con Pico, but 150€ is a bit to much for me right now.

As an alternative I've been also looking at the TS100, the new TS80 that hasn't come out yet and some of the generic soldering stations with Hakko T12 tips.
What's your feedback on all these?

I can't buy directly from China unless the product costs less than 22€, because of customs duties. Some stores like Gearbest or Banggood offer some shipping methods that avoid customs in Portugal, so if I'm buying from China, it would be better if it was from these shops.

In terms of solder (leaded) and flux, what are the best options in terms of price/quality? Are the Chinese options worth anything?

Thank you!

Good grief, please don't settle!!!!!!!!  If your JBC is working, wait/save up for the Ersa.  In the long run you will be much happier.  Use the money you didn't spend on the TS-100 or TS-80 for useful tips for the Ersa.  As far as solder, no chinesium solder/flux.  Get Kester or MultiCore for solder and MG Chemicals 835 and dispensing containers of your choice.  I use a small squeeze bottle with a syringe needle and a bottle with a brush, like a nail polish bottle.  These are cheap and cheerful.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: h4x0r

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:45 pm »
My JBC is working, but the tip is damaged and I don't want to spend more money on it.
But you are right, if the TS80 comes a the same price as the TS100 I'd still have to spend 50€ for the iron, 25€ for the USB-C charger and cable, and some more on a stand and extra tips, etc. The Ersa seems to be a better deal for the money. I'll be looking for discounts on Amazon and other stores and maybe someday I'll pull the trigger.

Thank you for the recommendations on solder and flux.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:22 pm »
I'd recommend getting a new tip for now, and save up for an Ersa station.

BTW, the Pico is not ESD compliant (tip is not grounded). The Nano is ESD compliant, but the i-Con 1V is a better station (you can also use more tools with it, such as tweezers if you find the need in the future).

Plenty of information on Ersa's stations on both the forum and YT, so there's a good amount of information to research from.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
  • www.esp8266-projects.org
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 04:06:28 am »
++1 for ERSA.

If you look around you might find even a i-Con 2V for a very good price, very close to the i-Con1V:
https://www.ersa-shop.de/de/?cat=c765_03-i-CON-1-V-03-i-con-1-v.html
https://www.ersa-shop.de/de/?cat=c873_04-i-CON-2-V-04-i-con-2-v.html

I would save a bit extra and buy a i-CON 2V0C:
https://www.ersa-shop.de/de/?cat=c878_04-i-CON-2-V0C-04-i-con-2-v0c.html

I think the best buy package for now is this one, ERSA i-Con 2VC:
https://www.ersa-shop.de/de/product_info.php?info=p550_ersa-i-con-2vc--2-kanal-loetstation-mit-sd-slot--120-w.html

It is very hard to obtain a similar package at the same quality and capabilities from any other brand out there, for the same amount of money, only about 650EUR without EU VAT. We are running them on factory floor, 2 shift/day (16 hours). If you need a cheaper option for a lighter hobby/home environment then i-CON NANO might be an answer at about 167EUR:
https://www.ersa-shop.de/de/product_info.php?info=p535_ersa-loetstation-i-con-nano--max--80-w.html

Please keep in mind that if your order is on a EU Registered Company name it is 19% cheaper that printed price from the above links. Same for orders from outside EU as EU VAT do not apply in that case.

PS: I am not related at all with ERSA, just a VERY happy ERSA user since the 80s.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:18:22 am by TJ232 »
ESP8266 Projects - www.esp8266-projects.org
MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 06:09:41 pm »
Hey guys, 450€ for a soldering station is too much right now.
The Ersa i-Con Pico really seems to be the best bet for hobby use. I'll be looking for discounts on Amazon.
Any other recommendations for around 150€?

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 01:44:18 am »
The Ersa i-Con Pico really seems to be the best bet for hobby use. I'll be looking for discounts on Amazon.

You can also go for pace ads200.
But with a bit more you can get the i-con Nano

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 04:25:47 am »
Skip the Pico (yet again). Although it's nearly identical to the Nano, it's heating element is encased in plastic, hence why it's not ESD compliant. If you care, it's made in China. Unlike the rest of Ersa's products, which are made in Germany.

As per cost, the Nano runs 206.99EUR (here). Not a lot above your stated budget. Personally, I'd recommending saving up a bit to increase your soldering station budget to get one of Ersa's better stations as mentioned above.

If the Pace ADS-200 comes within your budget (or close), that's another one to consider as well (TCO includes tip replacements as needed over a period of time). Both Ersa's and Pace's tips are reasonably priced, and last a long time as well.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 11:07:24 am »
The i-Con nano is only trivially more expensive (€202 on amazon.de, for example), and it’s ESD-safe so that’s what I’d go for. (I have the nano, but I kinda wish I’d gone for a “bigger” model to have the larger, backlit display, and the accelerometer-based setback.)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 12:25:42 am »
I'll have to think about it.

Where can I get Pace soldering stations in Europe?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »
ask pace, they will have a distributor list.

btw, forget TS80.
any clown who puts usb on the back of a soldering iron must have a lot of time to keep replacing them.
(ask anybody who has a small child with a tablet about the durability of usb sockets!)

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 10:22:31 pm »
ask pace, they will have a distributor list.

btw, forget TS80.
any clown who puts usb on the back of a soldering iron must have a lot of time to keep replacing them.
(ask anybody who has a small child with a tablet about the durability of usb sockets!)

From video TS80 looks inferior, i also don't like the USB concept for this kind of product.
TS100 still wins

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:08 pm »
i would like to see either a TS100 with a boost convertor and bigger shell allowing T12 tips to fully fit,
or a TS100 pcb for converting older base-units.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 02:12:07 pm »
i would like to see either a TS100 with a boost convertor and bigger shell allowing T12 tips to fully fit,
or a TS100 pcb for converting older base-units.

I like the distance and the TS tips but i know they are few, there are 3d printed parts to make that possible. I doubt they will make that since their focus is the own tips and not other brand tips. They should make more TS tips
About boost convertor, why not just use the right psu on source? Maybe usefull with batteries but that can be made external. Thier focus is a good product for cheap, all that mods would increase the price more.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:13 pm »
The Pace distributor in Portugal quoted me 250€+VAT (23%) for the ADS200 soldering station without tips.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 12:24:54 am »
The Pace distributor in Portugal quoted me 250€+VAT (23%) for the ADS200 soldering station without tips.

ERSA i-con 1 cost me 287,90 € new (29. November 2016) but the price is higher now, still is at same range as PACE ADS200
Your best bet for your money is ERSA nano (0IC1200A) you can't go better for the price. [189,00 €] The i-tool alone costs 144,59 € and is the best handle i ever saw and used, so the station is given.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:28:47 am by sn4k3 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 07:46:22 am »
I'd go with a T12 clone if your not going to be soldering up complete PCB's all the time, then a T12 is fine and Banggood sell them as do AliExpress. I have 2 T12s and I'm happy with them. Solder and flux, I've only purchased from Amazon.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »
I use a combination of 858D hot air station + TS100 with various tips and i am more than happy with them both.. cheap and effective.
I have used several solder wires over the course of time and my last purchase amazed me... i got the cheaper solder wire i can find locally (that is not Chinese or some no name or generic re-branded stuff) a Polish brand "Cynel"... i consider it one of the best i have used even (got it together with other stuff for 10 euro / 250gr 0.7mm 60/40 but you can find it even 25-30% cheaper!

Offline __-_-_-__

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 01:22:25 am »
Due to lower prices it's often cheaper to buy from china (or elsewhere outside EU) even with the extra cost of customs (which is about ~25% of the cost of the item + shipping)
so make your calculations taking that in consideration.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 10:42:21 pm »
I'd go with a T12 clone if your not going to be soldering up complete PCB's all the time, then a T12 is fine and Banggood sell them as do AliExpress. I have 2 T12s and I'm happy with them. Solder and flux, I've only purchased from Amazon.
Which ones do you have? Can you recommend one? I've been looking at the Bakon 950D.

Due to lower prices it's often cheaper to buy from china (or elsewhere outside EU) even with the extra cost of customs (which is about ~25% of the cost of the item + shipping)
so make your calculations taking that in consideration.
Yes I know, and I'm going to keep that in mind. My problem is more related to the waiting times than that having to pay the tax.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf