Author Topic: DP832 series/parallel questions...  (Read 3633 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
DP832 series/parallel questions...
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
I've got one of those Mastech triple power supplies I've been used to using, but today a DP832 will arrive.  Finally I can punch in a voltage without having to adjust that pot up down up down nope still not on the I want up down up down...

One thing though is that the Mastech has buttons to select parallel or series and it looks like it actually connects up the terminals properly.  If I parallel them, then - terminals will show 0 resistance.  If I series them the - of CH1 will be connected to the + of CH2 with 0 resistance.

Does the DP832 also do this?  Or does it rely upon the user to connect up the terminals for series or parallel?

Also, in the app note about the CH2/CH3 where they connect up the negative terminals with a thick wire to deal with current being returned to the wrong one throwing off the voltage, WHY don't they just do this internally?  Is there a downside to that?

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DP832 series/parallel questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »
There is no internal switch to do series/parallel on the DP832, so you have to wire it up yourself. There is a section to that effect in the manual called "Power Supply Series and Parallel Connections" which is also available as an appnote (see the attchment on post 1 of the DP832 megathread).
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dp832-firmware-updates-and-bug-list/?action=dlattach;attach=79494

However, there is a "tracking"mode were you can set Ch1 and Ch2 to track so that you can control both at the same time (see "track function" in the manual).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf