Author Topic: Oscilloscope Release News  (Read 2979 times)

Offline ShockingTopic starter

Oscilloscope Release News
« on: October 17, 2019, 03:30:14 pm »
I plan to buy an oscilloscope in the next few months.  I currently favor the Rigol DS1104Z-S Plus for reasons related to my own requirements and wallet.  However, this scope was release 12 years ago, I think.  An eternity in technology years.

Naturally, I do not want to suffer buyer's remorse due to obsolescence very soon after my purchase.     :-BROKE

Does anyone know of a website or industry news source that reports oscilloscope release news and rumors.  I may change my plans if a better value is coming soon, or "pull the trigger" if no better value is coming soon.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope Release News
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:50:31 pm »
What 12 years ?  It was released in 2015...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »
I plan to buy an oscilloscope in the next few months.  I currently favor the Rigol DS1104Z-S Plus for reasons related to my own requirements and wallet.  However, this scope was release 12 years ago, I think.  An eternity in technology years.

More like three years ago.

Does anyone know of a website or industry news source that reports oscilloscope release news and rumors.  I may change my plans if a better value is coming soon, or "pull the trigger" if no better value is coming soon.

Those things are always very secret - precisely because they don't want anybody doing what you're thinking of (ie. waiting for new model instead of spending money today).

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:58:48 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you know when this scope was released, or any scope?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »
I currently favor the Rigol DS1104Z-S Plus for reasons related to my own requirements and wallet.

I don't know your requirements but if you can afford to wait a few months then for about 25% more money you can get a Rigol MSO5072 and hack it to unlock four channels, 350Mhz, 8GSamples/sec, 400Mb RAM, signal generator, etc.

It's a much better and more modern device overall and offers far more bang/buck than the DS1104Z-S Plus. Definitely worth saving up for if you're going for devices in that price range.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 04:41:33 pm »
Thanks for your tip.

Your tip implies that you know about an impending release of a new scope or features.  Where did you get your info?

Your tip suggests that the scope or features are coming in a few months.  However, the scope appears to be on sale now.  So what is coming in a few months?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 04:51:54 pm »
Thanks for your tip.However, the scope appears to be on sale now.  So what is coming in a few months?
He is hoping for less bugs but looking at how slow Rigol is progressing I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you want to buy an oscilloscope then buy one which does everything you want right out of the box. Don't buy an oscilloscope (or any equipment) with unfinished firmware. If you are unlucky the firmware never gets finised or it (usually) takes years. I've fallen into that trap once.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 05:09:08 pm »
Thanks for your tip.

Your tip implies that you know about an impending release of a new scope or features.  Where did you get your info?

Your tip suggests that the scope or features are coming in a few months.  However, the scope appears to be on sale now.  So what is coming in a few months?

No, you implied that you were in no hurry so I imagined you might have time to expand your budget.

The MSO5074 is on sale now.

He is hoping for less bugs but looking at how slow Rigol is progressing I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nope.

If you want to buy an oscilloscope then buy one which does everything you want right out of the box. Don't buy an oscilloscope (or any equipment) with unfinished firmware. If you are unlucky the firmware never gets finised or it (usually) takes years. I've fallen into that trap once.

I was under the impression that the MSO5000 firmware had advanced quite nicely since release, that pretty much everything was working now. Do you have a list of things that don't?

The best place to ask about the state of play would be here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:18:05 pm by Fungus »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you know when this scope was released, or any scope?

Because Google....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 06:29:20 pm »

Because Google....

And the date of Dave's review of the DS1054Z (which predates the "Plus" models by about a year):  :popcorn:

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:21 pm »
Many device releases are preceded by unofficial and official "leaks."  For example, the Google Pixel 4 phone has been leaking for about a year now.  Companies do this for many reasons.  One big reason is to build up suspense about their new product so that potential customers will not buy a competitor's product until they see the new wiz-bang.  Microsoft, Apple, ... they all do it.

I wonder if there is a test instrument release "leak" outlet.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 07:02:41 pm »
How does one hack this oscilloscope?

If it is so hackable, then why does Rigol play this game?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 07:09:13 pm »
I wonder if there is a test instrument release "leak" outlet.
There is, it's called EEVblog !

For something more capable have a look at SDS1104X-E.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 07:27:31 pm »
How does one hack this oscilloscope?

Copy some files onto a USB stick, insert stick.

Hacking thread is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/

If it is so hackable, then why does Rigol play this game?

Hacking oscilloscopes is a game these companies have been playing for a very long time now.

With hacks they can sell to hobbyists who wouldn't buy otherwise, while still making huge profits by selling at full price to companies/educational institutions.

It also lets them sell to students who'll then go to work at companies knowing all about Rigols.

etc.

They know all about the hacks, it's part of the sales plan. They're not going to suddenly close the security holes because the boss found out about them.

nb. The hacks are easily removed, too. You can return it to factory state without any trace.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:46 pm »
The hack thread is a bit flaky with reports of md5 errors.  However, the thread does say that Rigol is or will make a promotion offer with free upgrades.  Do you know when that promotion might happen?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 12:24:27 am »
The hack thread is a bit flaky with reports of md5 errors.

Lots of people have managed to do it.  :popcorn:

However, the thread does say that Rigol is or will make a promotion offer with free upgrades.  Do you know when that promotion might happen?

Batronix is doing it right now: https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5072.html

That promotion doesn't include extra channels or bandwidth though, you'd have to pay for those if you want them. Extra channels isn't massively expensive and you get two more probes. Bandwidth upgrade prices are a bit harsh though.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:41:19 am by Fungus »

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 11:56:01 am »
The hack thread is a bit flaky with reports of md5 errors.

Batronix is doing it right now: https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-MSO5072.html

That promotion doesn't include extra channels or bandwidth though, you'd have to pay for those if you want them. Extra channels isn't massively expensive and you get two more probes. Bandwidth upgrade prices are a bit harsh though.

Hmmm...

A Rigol 5000 series scope is a tempting purchase.  I especially like the larger 9" screen and HDMI output with my aging eyes.

I am apprehensive about hacking a Chinese scope sold by a German retailer to a US customer.  When the smoke clears with hacked and bundled options, what will I have?  The option matrix makes my head hurt.  Warranty issues?!  How will future firmware updates break a hacked scope?  (Presuming Rigol issues updates at least occasionally.)  Shipping costs?  VAT?  etc.

It would help if Amazon or a US distributor sold the bundle, and what is and is not included in the bundle is made clear upfront.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 01:15:14 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Shocking

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf