Author Topic: Review: Digitek DT-2843R TRMS for less?  (Read 9514 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Review: Digitek DT-2843R TRMS for less?
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:45:41 am »
iloveelectronics, a member on this forum has been running an ebay store selling some multimeters and other electronics related products and he came across a multimeter he was thinking of selling. I volunteered to do a review of it for him.

How does this stack up to his other offerings, especially the infamous Uni-T UT61E?

As you can see it has many good features and performance. To be clear, this is no heavy duty electricians meter with the appropriate safety but used within the scope of electronics and occasional wall socket testing it is a very capable and inexpensive meter. It is well worth the $46 USD shipped anywhere in the world that Franky (iloveeletronics) will be asking for it. I think I would even recommend it over the UT61E.

If I missed something in the video or you have questions, please ask.

Oh yes, the sound quality suffered due a technical glitch. Please excuse the bad audio but I was not going to reshoot the whole thing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:55:46 pm by Lightages »

Offline carpelux

• Regular Contributor
Re: Review: Digitek DT-2843R TRMS for less?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:11:00 am »
Sorry to say, but clicking on the link gives me a error from Youtube that says the video clip has been removed because it's to long.
---------------------------------------
Catch the light

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:15:25 am »
Yeah I know. I just fixed that problem. Sorry

Offline carpelux

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:29:11 am »
I think You have to give it one more try. Now it says that the clip i private :-)
---------------------------------------
Catch the light

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:30:20 am »
Thanks. I have no idea why it got set to that.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
Link is working now, busy watching it. I think the paint is dry by now, though there is a Sherman's Lagoon comic about paint......

http://shermanslagoon.com/comics/april-7-2013/

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:33 pm »
Thanks a lot for taking the time to review this! It's really nice to see another video channel on electronics and equipment reviews  :-+
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »
Nice review, thanks!.

It's interesting to see the Digitek name being used.  My dad was an engineer at the original Digitek in Los Angeles in the 60s.

Another very inexpensive,  high value DMM (non TRMS and no backlight but surprisingly accurate and with  datalogging) sold by iloveelectronics is the Digitek DT-4000ZC / TekPower TP4000ZC.  (It can be had for less in the US on Amazon though.. :-\)

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:22 pm »
You might see the TekPower TP4000ZC as cheaper on Amazon until you understand that Franky is including better test leads and a USB PC connection instead of an RS323 connector.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:11:47 pm »
It's only 4000 count vs 22000 count
It's only 0.5% + 5  vs 0.1% + 2  at DC
It's only 1% + 2  vs 0.5%+10 at resistance
It's only 5% +10 digit vs 3% at capacitance

The other measurements mode aren't that great either.

Refresh rate is faster on Digitek but the uni-t has bargraph, icons on screen are smaller on digitek and there's no bargraph.
Wheel is just too "busy" and selections are too close together, and that sucks esp. when you say you can put the selection between modes by accident. You basically HAVE to look at what you choose, so it makes no diff compared to uni-t.

Digitek's first selection is  V AC while uni-t's first selection is V DC, which to me is great.
Sliding on desk sucks.
Horrible continuity compared to uni-t

I'll keep my uni-t, with all its minor flaws (the glitch where it shows one bogus reading when switching ranges and issues with DC voltage on AC ) and imho it's worth the 10-15$ price difference.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:33:50 pm »
You might see the TekPower TP4000ZC as cheaper on Amazon until you understand that Franky is including better test leads and a USB PC connection instead of an RS323 connector.

I didn't realize that! Good info.  In that case -definetly buy from Franky!  :D

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »
it's worth the 10-15$ price difference.

Of course it is up to you whether you think it is a good value or not. The price difference vs the features of one vs the features of the other is a personal choice at this point. Some people will want the temperature measurement and back light plus faster update and correct TRMS readings, and for less. Some people will want the higher count and higher accuracy with fast continuity, bar graph, and PC connection for $10-15 more, or put it another way, 25% more. These are the main differences. Anything else comes to personal preference It is of course up to you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:06:43 pm by Lightages »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 05:02:11 am »
For people in the US you can also find the same meter without the temperature function on Amazon under the name TekPower TP2844R: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP2844R-True-RMS-Auto-ranging-Multimeter/dp/B004YF0VEM

In Australia this meter is also rebranded as Micron: http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=Q1074

[Spam mode on]
I will carry this in my eBay store early next month when stock comes in. The version I carry will come with a better set of gold plated leads comparing to the TekPower and Micron variants.
[/Spam mode off]
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf