Author Topic: Rigol DP832 and UltraPower (+Ultra Sigma)  (Read 7890 times)

Offline ollihdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
Rigol DP832 and UltraPower (+Ultra Sigma)
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has had luck on getting the DP832 to fully work with Rigol's UltraPower software? By fully I mean to be able to change for example the voltage value from the UltraPower software? I can connect to the DP832 just fine via LAN and turn channels on and off, but when i try to change values (input new value + press enter) the DP832 beeps and gives out an error message for a few seconds ("command is invalid"). It seems like the command is sent, but the DP832 does not recognize it for some reason.

Has anyone had this same issue? My DP832 is running on the 00.01.11.00.00 firmware. UltraPower and Ultra Sigma are the latest ones I could find on Rigol's site(s). Also have the DP800 IVI Drivers installed.

Bonus question: is there an alternative to the UltraPower software? It really seems like a very poorly designed piece of software...

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 and UltraPower (+Ultra Sigma)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:41 pm »
Can't remember exactly, but I seem to remember it worked ok when I tried it. But the software is so bad, I never used it again.

I believe Sigrok might be an alternative (http://sigrok.org/wiki/Rigol_DP800_series), but have not tried it my self (currently no real need).

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:01 am »
Well, if you really want to use the programmability feature of a true programmable power supply, perhaps it's better to develop your own control software. However I did't have any problem with Rigol UltraPower and it works just fine, yes it has a crappy interface and rather awkward, but it works.

Don't you have any driver/os/version incompatibility issue ?

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:13:04 am »
I was wondering if anyone has had luck on getting the DP832 to fully work with Rigol's UltraPower software?
For the Rigol software, the system country settings must be changed to US/EN. For a decimal point to be sent as a point, and not as a comma.
I guess that's your problem.

Peter

Hope this is the case. Thanks for the tip! Will report back.

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »
I can't for the life of me find the option to change country settings in Ultra Sigma or UltraPower. Indeed the country settings must be the case, since the software (UltraPower) show "," and the instrument itself shows ".".

Any idea where the option might be? I even looked in the .ini -files, but couldn't find anything useful.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:34 pm »
I think what PeDre is saying is that you need to change the country setting for the operating system - not the Rigol software.

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:45:46 pm »
You both were absolutely right. It was under the "old" region settings in Win10 (win+type:"region"). You can actually keep your own region and just change the "decimal symbol" from additional settings. Will see if there is a way to change region settings per app. Thanks alot guys, all working now!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:54:43 pm by ollihd »

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
Will see if there is a way to change region settings per app.

I had the same problem, but this fixed it. Rigol was also helpful on instructing me to do this. Did you ever find a way to set the decimal separator on per application basis? I haven't.

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »
As far as I know there is no easy way of doing this. I looked in to it quite a bit when I was trying to figure it out.

Offline ultranalog

• Contributor
  • Audio Nerd - not an audiophool
    • It's only audio
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:59:35 am »
Even though I agree it's a piece of cr*p software, I was quite happily using this e.g. when I'm not in the room.

However from one day to the next, the software now starts up moaning 'Timer option not installed. Timer and voltage sweep function can not be used.'

Afterwards, the app hangs consuming 1 CPU core and doesn't get to the GUI. Happens on two independent PCs, persists after restart.
Has anyone seen this as well? Any clues?

I've checked but all my options are still official, and as far as I know the timer never was an option. I'm running FW1.14.
playing around with near DC (20 kHz) for fun and profit

Offline ultranalog

• Contributor
  • Audio Nerd - not an audiophool
    • It's only audio
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:47 am »
Replying to myself, but might be of use to anyone googling this error message...

Finally managed to fix it today. Excluded networking issues by moving to a new flat and rebuilding the network from scratch  :-/O

Out of desperation, went into UltraSigma and started pushing buttons in the SCPI Panel. Seems that clearing the device and systemerrors is doing the trick (in the advanced section)!

After that, I can start UltraPower just fine.
playing around with near DC (20 kHz) for fun and profit

The following users thanked this post: alm

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »
Will see if there is a way to change region settings per app.

I had the same problem, but this fixed it. Rigol was also helpful on instructing me to do this. Did you ever find a way to set the decimal separator on per application basis? I haven't.
This should work, to emulate a different locale. Since they've not fixed the ,/. issue yet.
http://pooi.moe/Locale-Emulator/

Anyone know better gui's?

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 02:27:09 pm »
Hi there,

A quick question - what is the update rate for DP832 and/or its software? Can't find it anywhere.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 08:29:03 pm »
I don't have it in front of me right now (or time to check), but pretty sure that info is in either the Datasheet or ProgrammingGuide pdfs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf