Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z Capturing  (Read 8060 times)

Offline NeuromodulatorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DS1054Z Capturing
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:21:20 am »
Hello,

I've had some Issues trying to save data as CSV with my Rigol. When I capture 12M points in 2 channels and try to save them to a pendrive I get a "function limited" error. If I select 1 channel it works, but takes around 4 minutes. Since I need both channels (data + clock) I have to switch to the second channel later and save it as well. Sometimes I get the same error even when trying to save 1 channel. Any ideas of why I'm getting that error?

I see its possible to save the files as WFM, but apparently nobody has been able to reverse engineer the Rigol DS1000z version of that format. Then there are the VISA drivers and rigol utilities, which were quite buggy the last time I tried them (on a ds1052E). So what alternatives are there to capture data from the oscilloscope?

Thanks in advance

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z Capturing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:25:00 pm »
Does it work with 3 channels?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »
Haven't tried that yet. But noticed I didn't have the latest version of the firmware. I haven't tested again with the new firmware, but WFM files save much quicker, so I'm working on reading them

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:37 am »
I just tried mine. It seemed not to work when waiting for a trigger. It saved when in auto trigger and after a single trigger (STOP mode), but not when in WAIT.

It worked in both screen and memory save mode.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 05:02:57 am »
makes totally sense. when it's waiting for a trigger the memory is continuously updated with the signal that's being acquired.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:39:32 am »
I took for granted that saving memory was actually working. I waited more than 20 minutes and the scope was still writing to the USB, so I turned it off. This seems like a bug.

I do recall writing smaller samples to the USB, however.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
Well In my case, I stopped it before starting to write to the pen drive. It recently updated the firmware so I'm gonna try with the latest and see how it goes.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:26 pm »
I see its possible to save the files as WFM, but apparently nobody has been able to reverse engineer the Rigol DS1000z version of that format. ....So what alternatives are there to capture data from the oscilloscope?
to some limited extent, i've been able to import DS1000Z WFM and export to CSV using this software...http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/ downloading long memory signal by saving to USB pendrive took many minutes, the quickest way is through USB to the VisaDSO software, 15 seconds download iirc...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:34 pm »
I took for granted that saving memory was actually working. I waited more than 20 minutes and the scope was still writing to the USB, so I turned it off. This seems like a bug.

I do recall writing smaller samples to the USB, however.
PC through usb connection or usb stick?
the scope can't properly handle memories greater than 4GB

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »
I was saving to USB stick via front panel and have not been able to save the full 24M or 12M (in 2 channel) memory as CSV. I even tried to save Waves (WMF) and gave up after several minutes.

The USB stick is 16GB, this is the problem?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »
Yes, get a few ultra cheap 4G sticks, and use them there. The internal file format for larger drives is different than the lower capacity ones, so older kernels cannot use them correctly. To you it looks the same but the actual format of the info is different.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:27:41 pm »
Yes. between 8 and 14 gig of free space the scope won't save the last file.. i.e.: you save two screenshots, only the first will be there when you remove the stick.
with more than 14 gig of free space no file will be there when you remove the stick.

This isn't in the spec but is somewhere in the troubleshooting.. fucking rigol, who the hell wrote the damn manual

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »
Problem is that the software people did not want to pay for the compiler upgrades and later kernels that allow the use of EXFAT filesystems, so you are stuck with FAT only.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf