Author Topic: Lens options for the FLIR Exx series?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Lens options for the FLIR Exx series?
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:14:49 pm »
Hi all-

So I'm using my hacked E30bx more and more; it's helped me fix several electronics pieces and (unfortunately) proved to me that I need a new roof (sigh).  I've got the standard 18mm lens and frequently struggle to stand far enough back to take in the entire scene I want.  So I'm wondering about a different lens.  Going to the FLIR web site and looking for E60 accessories I find a 30mm and a 9.66mm lens, links are below. 

https://www.flir.com/products/1196961_ir-lens/

https://www.flir.com/products/1196960_ir-lens/

All this triggers a few questions:

1- Just to verify, these lenses are usable on the entire Exx product line, right?
2- Holy cow they're expensive.  Roughly the same as what the camera cost me.  I have to ask if there are any 3rd party lenses available?
3- And what about some kind of wide angle adapter that attaches to my current 18mm lens?  Does such a thing exist?

Thanks, as usual, for the great insights you all provide here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:36:09 pm by cvanc »

Offline David C

• Contributor
Re: Lens options for the FLIR Exx series?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:10:54 am »
Check out flir-direct.com (or .ca if you want to be delivering to Canada).

They are an independent reseller/distributor for Flir products in North America as well as many other brands (check out all of their affiliated websites under the main company name).

They often feature the best prices and latest Flir products that I could find online. Flir own website sucks pretty hard at giving a complete up to date view of their products and accessories and the pricing (especially on the Canadian .ca version) is often missing or inaccurate, or different from what is shown when you get transferred to their online store. Not to mention their online store is somewhat lacking most of their products and almost all of their accessories. Prices are also often not up to date, and usually higher than you could find from other authorized resellers. However when Flir does run a sale of specific products (like they did last Christmas on their meters), the Flir website has proven to be the best place to buy from in term of availability and applied promotions. They even offered upgraded one day shipping for free on all orders for the week before Christmas.

As for the lens fitment, I cannot give you any information beside shooting an email to Flir asking to list which lens are compatible with your camera, or also checking with the online retailers like Flir-direct or Ivy Tools.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:26:58 am »
1- Just to verify, these lenses are usable on the entire Exx product line, right?
2- Holy cow they're expensive.  Roughly the same as what the camera cost me.  I have to ask if there are any 3rd party lenses available?
On my E60 I have the 1196960 lens. I suspect it will fit every Exx, but you can check the pictures I posted here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/swapping-lenses-on-a-e30/msg1116884/#msg1116884

Remember you need to get the calibration for accurate temperature measurements, usually provided by FLIR if you buy a new lens. Since you need to ship them the camera I don't know what will happen to your hack.
I'm currently warming up the E60 to check how much the measured temperature varies with and without calibration. Stay tuned  ;)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:49:21 am »
Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I checked some lens options in the menu (no lens, generic 45°, 45° with the S/N of the lens) and the difference is marginal.
As easily available test objects I measured the max temperature of two light fixtures and the min temperature of a plant.

45° with cal45° w/o calno lens
Light 137,837,436,7
Light 237,837,536,0
Plant21,121,321,4
Values in °C, measurements are done with FLIR Tools. The measurements directly on the camera show no difference.

In the EXIF-Data the focal length is changed from 18 mm (no lens) to 9,6mm (with any 45° lens enabled), but in FLIR-Tools "FOL 10 mm" is always displayed.
So you can probably just use the 45° lens without calibration and keep the hack  ;D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline Gilbertnut

• sbo
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:55 am »
It is a very good option. I used this lens, it is a really good lens.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf