Author Topic: Editing package silkscreen layer on pcb but not main lib  (Read 3993 times)

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Editing package silkscreen layer on pcb but not main lib
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to make ad-hoc changes to some of the devices I've added to my design, in particular the silkscreen layer.
Yes I can SMASH and make some changes, but I'd like to modify/delete some outlines etc. However, I don't want to my mods to affect the main library.....I want my mods to remain unique on this particular pcb only.

Any ideas?.......the only way I can see is to copy the package and make the changes there........but that's a bit too clunky.

Am using latest ver.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline andersendr

• Regular Contributor
Re: Editing package silkscreen layer on pcb but not main lib
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:11:12 am »
If you want to add things, you can just draw a line on the correct layer.  I am not sure about if you want to remove lines. 

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:58:40 am »
Use one of the silk-screen resizers (like silk-new.ulp), which works by copying all of the silkscreen elements to a new layer.   Once they're on the new layer, you can edit them to your heart's content.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:34 am »
Use one of the silk-screen resizers (like silk-new.ulp), which works by copying all of the silkscreen elements to a new layer.   Once they're on the new layer, you can edit them to your heart's content.

Thanks.

By doing this I suppose we'd have to communicate with the board house to use the new layer for the silkscreen and not default. I say this as I usually send them Eagle .brd files and not gerbers. From that, I asume if I generate gerbers then I can specify the layer to use as the silkscreen.

EDIT: There is another workaround, which is what I did.........Just modify the lib as required, then once done just copy a saved of version of the original library back again. The lib remains intact but the mods stay with the pcb.......just don't update-all or it will revert the pcb.

Ian.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:48:10 am by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:25:57 am »

By doing this I suppose we'd have to communicate with the board house to use the new layer for the silkscreen and not default. I say this as I usually send them Eagle .brd files and not gerbers. From that, I asume if I generate gerbers then I can specify the layer to use as the silkscreen.

This is exactly why sending the Gerbers is a better idea.  When you run the CAM job to create the Gerbers, you select exactly which layers go into the silk screen.  You might not want to include reference designators to make the board look neat but instead include a custom layer with the labels you want, or in your case, use some custom component outlines.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:44 am »

This is exactly why sending the Gerbers is a better idea.  When you run the CAM job to create the Gerbers, you select exactly which layers go into the silk screen.  You might not want to include reference designators to make the board look neat but instead include a custom layer with the labels you want, or in your case, use some custom component outlines.

Thanks for that....last time I created Gerbers were with Wintek's HiWireII..........I've, err um, been away from the game for a while!

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:44:14 am »
This is exactly why sending the Gerbers is a better idea.
Yes, exactly.  Gerber generation is relatively painless, especially since most board houses have been providing the necessary CAM jobs as well.  (they do make a mess of files, though.)  Theoretically, you could also use some sort of gerber editor to edit the silkscreen gerber file directly.  (However, gerber file editors tend to be less user-friendly than EAGLE, which is saying ... quite a bit.  Also, that's like compiling C code and patching the binary; a really bad "project control" idea.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf