Author Topic: Isolation X-fmr video  (Read 4800 times)

Offline JohnS_AZTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
Isolation X-fmr video
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »
Here's a good video on isolation transformers for a tech bench. Includes tear down and modding the unit to float the grounds. The guy lives fairly close to me but we've not met. He does, however, have a Dave Jones official T-Shirt. :-)

I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Isolation X-fmr video
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:38:41 pm »
I think it gives all the information but is a little slow going.

Funny, here in the UK medical isolation transformers don't have the secondary bonded to earth and are used to reduce leakage currents in equipment containing SMPSes. They also provide similar protection to RCDs in high reliability applications where a power cut could endanger life or result in data loss. An insulation monitoring circuit is used to give a warning if there's a short from the secondary to earth.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:46:49 am by Hero999 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »
well, i dont click the play button, my net is slowing here. but i got loads of isolated x-fmr here.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:21 am »
Just another thought, it's a good idea to get an isolation transformer with two 120V secondaries and box it yourself, along with a DPDT switch wired to connect them in series or parallel giving 120V or 240V for testing EU/US appliances and universal SMPSes.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=3618115

I have a small (100VA) 230V isolation transformer which I use with a Variac to give a variable voltage.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:25 pm »
I think it gives all the information but is a little slow going.

Hey, nobody out does me for slow going videos!, this means war!
Look out for my 4 hour ohms law video, coming soon!  ;D

It's good to see Todd and others getting into videos.

Dave.

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »
good vid with good demonstrations - I wouldn't have been game enough to light a lightbulb through the shield of my osc probe though - but I only have two probes so I might be overprotective I guess  ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf