Author Topic: DSO Nano v1.5 - I'm a fool who bought one, and I'm a clueless noob!  (Read 14286 times)

Offline NerobroTopic starter

• Contributor
Well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.  About the fool, and clueless bits.  But I'm definitely a noob. 

So, here's what I got:

IMG_20110822_001230.jpg by nerobro, on Flickr

And here it is hooked up to it's own test point.  Which in this version of the software is adjustable from 500-2000hz:

IMG_20110822_001316.jpg by nerobro, on Flickr

So it claims 1mhz sample speed, and 12bit DAC.  The voltage scale seems to go down to 500mv, and up to 60v.  And the probe either does 1:1 or 10:1.  I hope that means I can hook it up to a 600v signal. 

I also rigged it to my arduino, to see if I could see a changing signal. 

So far I like it.  Since all of you know more about this stuff than I do, what should I test? 

My ultimate goal with this, is to be able to use it to check switch bounce, and debounce.  Also to check the charge and discharge of coils.  In the end, I may end up using it to check points timing on motorcycles. 

So, tell me what you want me to do with this.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO Nano v1.5 - I'm a fool who bought one, and I'm a clueless noob!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:48:35 am »
So, tell me what you want me to do with this.
Build a joule thief and plot the waveform...?

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:20 am »
So it claims 1mhz sample speed, and 12bit DAC.  The voltage scale seems to go down to 500mv, and up to 60v.  And the probe either does 1:1 or 10:1.  I hope that means I can hook it up to a 600v signal. 

Please stay away from high voltages with that thing!  It is not properly insulated for high voltage use.  In principle if the probe properly insulated you can use it as long as you connect the ground clip a real ground and don't try to use it floating, but really, just stay away.  Even if it works, accidentally bumping the 1x/10x switch will not only destroy the unit, but may explode in your hand.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:17:36 am »

Please stay away from high voltages with that thing!  It is not properly insulated for high voltage use.  In principle if the probe properly insulated you can use it as long as you connect the ground clip a real ground and don't try to use it floating, but really, just stay away.  Even if it works, accidentally bumping the 1x/10x switch will not only destroy the unit, but may explode in your hand.
I missed that 600 V comment, but yes, avoid. It's designed for hobby use with battery powered, low voltage circuits. Use it in the manner intended and don't start doing crazy things with it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:05:08 am »
...start doing crazy things with it.
i'll be looking forward for a report.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:00 pm »
These things have had a lot of bad press but are ok as far as they go (seem to be optimistically specced but work well enough). Would you have been better off with a decent used analogue scope? Possibly,but that is your choice. Enjoy your new toy and be careful to stay within its speccs and you will be ok 
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
btw. the OP asked for what test to do. i suggest fast rising signal such as avalanche pulser and see how fast the nano can measure it.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:33 pm »
Build a joule thief and plot the waveform...?
I like this idea.  I've always wanted an excuse to build a joule theif.

Please stay away from high voltages with that thing!  It is not properly insulated for high voltage use. *snip* accidentally bumping the 1x/10x switch will not only destroy the unit, but may explode in your hand.
  "I" am not insulated for 600v.  :-)  But some of the things I do in my hobbies end up seeing some voltages in that region, directly under my crotch.  I will likely end up using this to check out the output from the alternator on my motorcycle.  At idle that's around 60vac peak to peak, and as much as 200v when the motorcycles rpm are brought up. 

I do not touch any guage that I'm using when checking the phases (the alternator is 3phase) of that.

Also, when checking the solenoids on some of my devices, I expect that the kickback when the field collapses will top 100v.  The 1x input limit is 60v. 

I would expect some smoke, but there's really nothing int there that could explode.  You'd need to transmit some serious energy to make traces vaporize in such a manner to "explode" the device.   I do appreciate your concern.  :-)  I do have a very healthy respect of high voltages, and high currents.
btw. the OP asked for what test to do. i suggest fast rising signal such as avalanche pulser and see how fast the nano can measure it.
Well, we just went over my head.  what's an avalanche pulser?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:44:03 pm »
http://www.holmea.demon.co.uk/Avalanche/Avalanche.htm originally mentioned by jim williams. or simply if you dont have the parts like me, try to program your arduino to output 1MHz square wave and look closely on the rise time and how much time it needs the scope to rise from low to hi (10% - 90%).
or you can read the thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=588.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:09:44 pm by Mechatrommer »

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:07:29 pm »
I didn't expect it to be useful for anything over 100khz.  I was told, a long time ago, by someone much wiser than I, that for reliable readouts, you need a Scope that can do 10x the frequency you're testing for.

They claim it can handle 60v input,we'll see how that goes.  I do have some way of testing that ;-)  And if I blow it up, I'm only out $60. 

That said, what would YOU like me to test on it?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
DSO Nano v1.5 - I'm a fool who bought one, and I'm a clueless noob!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »
Well, it really depends on the kind of fire extinguisher you will have on hand.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »
Standard ABC, a couple pounds of CO2, and a bag of sand. 

I think that will cover most any eventuality.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:16:00 pm »
They claim it can handle 60v input,we'll see how that goes.  I do have some way of testing that ;-)  And if I blow it up, I'm only out $60. 

The specification says 80Vpp which means 40V peak and is just over 28VRMS so will be easily zapped by the motorcycle alternator.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/micro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
as there were shrapnels stuck into the concrete walls :o
then you need a windshield as well.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
DSO Nano v1.5 - I'm a fool who bought one, and I'm a clueless noob!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:28 pm »

I think that will cover most any eventuality.

I will give you permission if you can carry the bag of sand :D

Oh, BTW, is sand conductive? I guess it depends on the composition.

Oh, just replace the LiIon with some AA's, perhaps maybe connected via the USB cable or a DC input jack, if the scope has one.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:22:15 pm by ivan747 »

Offline KJ6EAD

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:25 am »
I really don't understand why people snipe at those scopes so much. It's not like the seller copied the spec sheet from an Agilent scope and tried to trick the buyers. The scope is very limited but useful if you need the small form factor. I'm thinking of mounting one in the lid of a kit that I have along with one or two of those thin pocket DMMs. It's just for low voltage, low frequency hobby projects.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »
Well, I used the DSO versus 120vac...  It survived.  I set the prove to 10x, I plugged a load into my Black&Decker pocket power battery pack/inverter.  I wanted to see what sort of inverter it was, and it turns out it's a 3 step.  -60v 0 +60v.  UUUUGLY.  I"ll take a picture of the output later.  But it worked! 

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:32:25 pm »

IMG_20110824_090812.jpg by nerobro, on Flickr

and it says the output is 59-60hz

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »
You used a x10 probe so that's no surprise. It's still a a dangerous idea though as you might get a shock if you touch the 'scope.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »
Yup, as always, you need to be aware of ground paths and potentials.  ;-) 

The whole rig there was battery powered, and seperate from the ground i'm on.  And on a completely insulated surface. 

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »
I was on a trip this weekend, so I was unable to try to build a joule theif.  I'm excited about checking out it's output.

Offline JayDee

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 02:40:49 pm »
Hi Guys,
The Nano Really Is Not That Crap!  -  I know, I was somewhat amazed as well.   :o

I bought a Nano DSO (DS0201) for bit of a laugh, I travel quite a bit for work (Motorsport/automotive electroincs) and I always have my fluke meter for reliable basic readings in  my field kit but  sometimes a signal over time is just ideal.
If I need a reasonable field scope I will take either my Fluke196 or Agilent U1604A but most of the time its extra baggage that just increases flight costs.

So the super lightweight Nano in my field kit seemed a good idea for testing sensor outputs etc.. well first impressions were OK, and then went rapidly down hill... the layout painful, update cr*p etc. It did help more than once (even helped solve a problem on a half million pound supercar!) but if i lost it i would not buy it again.

However did a search for firmware upgrades and a guy called BENF has written some fantastic 3rd party firmware, dead easy to install using the DFUSE demo software from ST electonics and WOW, what a difference. Its like a different machine, I'm using the ver 3.62 firmware from BENF and the Nano is now an essential bit of super light field kit.   Dont expect miracles, yeah this is still a hobby based bit of kit but for some basic tests it really is fantastic at the price!

Conclusion:
- Buy one and have a play, its dead cheap and ultra portable.
- Upgrade the firmware ASAP, I suggest the one by BENF.
- Use it within is designed scope of use and it should prove a useful tool for initial inspection.
- Don't expect it to replace your main field scope or bench scope....  it wont.
- If you can only afford to buy a single scope,  save a bit more and get a reasonable low cost bench scope.
- But If you only need basic, low speed scope features this might just do the job.

Firmware link :   http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1793
Upgrade tool from ST (DFUSE) : http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/resourceSelector/app?page=resourceSelector&doctype=SW_DEMO&ClassID=1734

Just thought it was worth sharing, in case anyone was looking at getting (or has) one of them.
I'm now trawling the specs and looking at replacing my bench scope.....  So which MSO,  Aglient 2000 series or Tek MSO2014.   Hmmm.. proper bench toys.
Laters, JD.       

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum ;D,
Good to hear that there is third party support (OEM support is sadly lacking!). As you say as a piece of field kit it works ok within it's limit and can save a lot of hassle ( &weight ) I am looking out for one to play with on ebay and your info will be very handy. If anyone updates to this software on a previously junked unit, post findings post your findings for me if you don't mind  :). Nice first post JayDee.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »
Thanks for the info, JayDee :)
Off-topic: When you need a more robust scope to take, how do you decide whether to go with the Fluke or the Agilent handheld?  Just curious what each does better.

Offline JayDee

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 01:54:53 pm »
No worries, always good to share these bits.
@Grenert   The Aglient 1604 is a bit smaller and has a great colour display and some good features, it is also a bit more modern features, the USB connection to PC is good.  Its a 40MHz 200 MS/s unit so OK for 99% of my field work.

The Fluke 196,  is 100MHz 1 GS/s so now only really comes out when I need that it more grunt, battery is getting on a bit but still a decent scope.
I could sell one one of them but its always handy to have a backup etc.. 
J.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf