Author Topic: CTEK MXS 5 - teardown  (Read 19658 times)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
CTEK MXS 5 - teardown
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »
Surprisingly they sanded the parts this time, wonder why did they didn't do it on 5 X more expensive MS 25000 which i teared down not long time ago... Anyway it looks like somebody just run it over with dremel but with little patience it can be read.

Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline Bambur

• Regular Contributor
Re: CTEK MXS 5 - teardown
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »
I have had this great battery-charger for about a year now. It does do magic to used acid-lead batteries.

What are chips you could identify? I cannot get the part numbers from your shots, sorry.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »
I have had this great battery-charger for about a year now. It does do magic to used acid-lead batteries.

What are chips you could identify? I cannot get the part numbers from your shots, sorry.

They sanded them, but they use atmel

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:15:05 am »
Wow, this is uncanny. I have the MSX 5.0, have had it for a few months and I love it. I was just connecting it to my car today and thinking about how it might be constructed internally, and mulling over whether anyone would have posted a teardown online, but I'm not game to do it myself... I want to keep that warranty! But came online here, and what do you know!
Anyway, cheers for doing this and posting the pics. Much appreciated!

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:12 pm »
Wow, this is uncanny. I have the MSX 5.0, have had it for a few months and I love it. I was just connecting it to my car today and thinking about how it might be constructed internally, and mulling over whether anyone would have posted a teardown online, but I'm not game to do it myself... I want to keep that warranty! But came online here, and what do you know!
Anyway, cheers for doing this and posting the pics. Much appreciated!

No problem, glad that you liked it :).

I also made a teardown of much more expensive unit XS 25 000 maybe you will like it too.

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:07 am »
*I know, it's an old topic, but I would like to ask if I have to remove this red plastic cap or just this three screws? And was it sealed?*
Question answered ;) 4th screw under the cap ;)

Anyways:
Have you somewhere published the teardown of the (M?)XS 25000?

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:05:43 am by railrun »

Offline basilcedric

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:54 pm »
Hi,  I am new to this forum. The photos just miss what I need.  My charger has a cooked resistor (R26) which sits just next to the transformer and is not shown in any of the photos.  All the colored bands on the resistor are blackened so I can't work out what its value is.  If anyone has one open can they help me out with the resistor colors please.

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
Hi,  I am new to this forum. The photos just miss what I need.  My charger has a cooked resistor (R26) which sits just next to the transformer and is not shown in any of the photos.  All the colored bands on the resistor are blackened so I can't work out what its value is.  If anyone has one open can they help me out with the resistor colors please.
I don’t know if the CTEK 3600 has the same values, but here (https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/233788#5052315) I found a value of 10k.

Offline basilcedric

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 03:09:33 am »
Hi RailRu, Thanks for that.  The first ring does look brown so it could be right but the 3600 is a lower current rating so I am not sure.  Hopefully someone else will pull apart an MXS 5.

Offline pocketscience

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 06:28:42 am »
My MXS 5.0 also cooked the same resistor... everything else looks good but R26 is toast. Would love to know what it is if anyone has one of these..?

Offline EB5AGV

• Contributor
  • The best recycling is repairing
    • Amateur Radio and Test Equipment
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 02:25:27 pm »
I know this is an old topic, but as I am working on my damaged MXS 5.0 and had also that resistor burnt but readable, I can say it is a 3.3 Ohm resistor. I have replaced it with a 2W one.

BTW, I need to know what the SMD TR marked component, just on the bottom part of the PCB, connected to that R26, is. I guess it should be a transient supressor, but don't know the voltage value nor if it is bidirectional. On my unit, seems shorted.

Thanks!

Jose
JOSE V. GAVILA - La Canyada - Valencia (SPAIN)
http://agvradio.com  AGVradio
http://jvgavila.com   Personal WEB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf