Author Topic: Isolate certain components from the DRC?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline BoscoeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Isolate certain components from the DRC?
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:42 am »
I add some PCB graphics (logos and such) to my libraries then add them to the PCB. Thing is they often have hundreds or thousands of errors as the raster lines making them are very small. Is there a parameter I can assign to the part to remove it from the DRC check? Would make me a lot less nervous when sending out PCBs.

Thanks

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
Re: Isolate certain components from the DRC?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
Hello Boscoe,

I hope you're doing well. The best you could do here is approve those errors, at this point in time there is no mechanism for excluding a package from the DRC check. This is a slippery slope because it could potentially be very dangerous to not have a part check for manufacturability. I agree that something needs to be improved here, but I don't think excluding from the DRC is the answer.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Autodesk Support

Offline latigid on

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »
Two other ideas:

Instead of DRC'ing the whole board, use the "select" option to check over different parts.

Place the overlapping copper on another layer, then when it comes to fab be really careful to process this layer with the CAM job. Even create a custom CAM for it.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:54 pm »
Is there a parameter I can assign to the part to remove it from the DRC check?
put your graphics on a different (custom) layer, and then don't DISPLAY that layer when you run the DRC.
(DRC only checks the layers that are currently displayed.)
When you generate gerbers, add your custom layer to the list of layers included for the appropriate "final" layer.
(For example, the BOTTOM copper layer might normally include layers BOTTOM, PADS, and VIAS.  You'd use a new CAM file that output
BOTTOM, PADS, VIAS, and BOTCOPLOGO to that gerber...)
(yes, this means you can't just send the .BRD file somewhere and expect correct results.  You probably shouldn't, anyway.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf