Author Topic: CERN!: Analog Designer  (Read 9142 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
CERN!: Analog Designer
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:07:37 pm »
As the title says, they are looking for an analog expert:
http://jobs.web.cern.ch/job/12582
You must be a member of one of these countries:
http://jobs.web.cern.ch/content/member-states

If you are interested then I can hook you up with a direct contact.

Design Engineer (Analogue electronics)

Electronics Engineering at its best in a challenging, unusual context? Are you interested in working for the biggest accelerator complex in the world, taking responsibility for design, development and support of hardware in the control systems? If so, join the Hardware and Timing Section of CERN's Controls Group at CERN. Take part!

Job Reference: BE-CO-HT-2017-105-LD
Publication date:
16/06/2017
Closing date:
24/08/2017
Introduction
Design Engineer (analogue electronics) in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT).

You will join:

The Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam production, beam and accelerator physics, beam diagnostics, radiofrequency, controls and performance optimization for the entire CERN accelerator complex including the LHC.
The Controls Group (CO), responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas.
The Hardware and Timing Section (HT), responsible for the development, production and support of most of the BE-CO custom electronic modules. It also provides know-how for the technical choice of commercial modules to suit the needs of equipment groups in the Accelerator Sector. The section is very active in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design using Hardware Description Languages (HDL), as well as precision timing electronics such as those present in White Rabbit (link is external) technology.

Functions
As Design Engineer (Analogue electronics), you will:

Take responsibility for the design, evolution and support of hardware designs in various key components of the accelerator control system.
Take a leading role in all activities related to analogue signal acquisition and low-noise clock distribution, including collaborations with other groups, institutes and commercial companies.
Identify areas for improvement and propose solutions, including the adoption of new technologies.
Collaborate with controls and data acquisition teams around CERN and support them, for the integration of standard BE-CO-HT hardware and software into complete systems.
Participate in the operational support of all the deployed solutions in the domain of distributed controls and data acquisition hardware.
Document and present your work as appropriate.

Qualification required
Master's degree in the field of electronics, or equivalent.

Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:

Demonstrated experience in the design of Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), including component selection, schematics entry and layout.
Demonstrated experience in low-noise analogue circuit simulation, design, testing and debugging.
Demonstrated experience in the design of electronics for the distribution of very stable, low-jitter clock signals.
Experience in HDL and software development would be an advantage.
Experience in Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and methods to enhance would be an advantage.

The technical competencies required for this post are:

Analog circuit design, modelling and simulation.
Analog circuit testing and measurement techniques.
Design of electronics for clock/timing generation, processing, distribution and recovery.

The behavioural competencies required for this post are:

Working in teams: debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology.

The language competencies required are:

Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts. Abilty to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.

Eligibility conditions
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.

This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.08.2017.

By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.

Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.

These functions require:

Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: CERN!: Analog Designer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
I hope they will pay very good for that kind of requirements.  :-+

Offline aksg81

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:24 pm »
I'm interested. Can you send me the contact details please?

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:49 pm »
You'd hope so, but then again, this is a technical role in a government funded organisation. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That said, it looks like a pretty cool opportunity for someone who really wants to work in that kind of environment.

I have all the skills and qualifications they're asking for too (mais je ne parle aucun de Francais - tant pis!). Shame I'm not located anywhere near CERN or I might even apply. I wonder if I could work from home?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:15:23 pm »
Master's degree? PCB design? Schematic entry? Irregular hours? What is wrong in this picture?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:34:06 pm »
I have all the skills and qualifications they're asking for too (mais je ne parle aucun de Francais - tant pis!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the French; I suspect you know enough!

When I worked there it was amusing to sit on the "bench seat" (a.k.a. power supply) of a horseshoe Cray in Switzerland, then go and have my morning coffee and lunch in France. Borders? They are for the little people :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:40:29 pm »
When I worked there it was amusing to sit on the "bench seat" (a.k.a. power supply) of a horseshoe Cray in Switzerland, then go and have my morning coffee and lunch in France. Borders? They are for the little people :)
It'd be an amazing coincidence if it were so but you didn't happen to leave a small-ish computer company in the NW of England to go work there did you?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »
It'd be an amazing coincidence if it were so but you didn't happen to leave a small-ish computer company in the NW of England to go work there did you?

Nope :) I was working for a very large US company at the time!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline slurry

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:31 pm »

The real payoff would be to put "CERN" in your CV  :-+

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:24 pm »

There is an anecdote of the person who put JPL on his CV.   When drilled down, it turns out his job was sweeping out the wind tunnels.

Frankly, I am surprised at this ad.  More likely, a candidate is in hand, and the ad is simply to satisfy the "diversity" requirements of its personnel department.

John

Offline spicer

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »
Hmm. My english is terrible. But i'm admin and operator from a german LTspice forum.
Is this a job for me? ???....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:27:31 pm by spicer »

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:54:52 pm »
It's just cool to work on big physics. I took a paycut to work with LIGO and designing control systems for superconducting waveguides for a JPL telescope.

I miss nerding out with my coworkers a lot. I mean, everyone I work with now is smart but they don't all have the same drive to talk physics and math and really enjoy it at the pub all night. And I never had to explain why I worked on open source projects or published stuff for free rather than trying to monetize it. They just got it.

And it was neat to randomly have someone invite you to see the equipment creating the coldest temperature ever achieved by man and get into the nitty gritty of how it works and to twiddle the knobs.

So. Recommended if any of that sounds interesting to you.

The following users thanked this post: Rerouter, Echo88, Muxr, TwisteR

Offline spicer

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:26 pm »
"You must be a member of one of these countries:"
I do not see anywhere America....

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 01:11:21 pm »
 Conseil EuropĂ©en pour la Recherche NuclĂ©aire

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »
And the smaller size of 'your' country's inhabitants, the higher the chance you supposedly have to get a job at CERN - equal employment rules, as I recall.

Too bad I 'only' have a bachelors degree.  :popcorn:

Offline SwissEngineer

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Don't about the paycheck in Switzerland. For a senior engineer you can expect a 120-150K/year maybe more. And swiss laws, which means 4weeks of vacation minimum and 42h a week max.
And yes, there is probably already someone in line...
Nothing is complicated, you just need more time.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:50:28 pm »
I'm not sure about CERN, but it's what a lot of other companies bank on. You'll submit to suboptimal conditions because the name will look good on your resume.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 05:52:09 pm »
There is an anecdote of the person who put JPL on his CV.   When drilled down, it turns out his job was sweeping out the wind tunnels.

Frankly, I am surprised at this ad.  More likely, a candidate is in hand, and the ad is simply to satisfy the "diversity" requirements of its personnel department.

John
Well he wasn't exactly lying, was he? You shouldn't lie on a resume, but making the truth look good is another thing ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf