Author Topic: commission job for finding IC replacement solution  (Read 6257 times)

Offline jerbTopic starter

• Contributor
commission job for finding IC replacement solution
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:39:12 am »
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone out there is interested in a small commission based job to earn a little cash.

Not sure how all this works here, but basically i would just need help finding a suitable replacement for a 16 pin dip IC.

I'd be willing to pay 150 USD to the individual who can help me come to a solution. Ideally for under 2 dollars a chip if possible.

This is all the information i have on the IC and all the progress i've made thus far with help of the members in this forum.

The chip belongs to a camera released in 1982 called the Nimslo 3D

Repair site: http://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files/nimslo_guide_to_the_3d_camera.pdf

Chip Model: CS3016

According to members of the forum this was likely a custom built ASIC designed specifically for this camera.

Please let me know if this is something someone can do here, This should be obvious but I can only pay 1 person for finding the solution can't afford 10 people coming up with the same answer lol.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:41:25 am by jerb »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: commission job for finding IC replacement solution
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:02:32 pm »
I see two possibilities here, either:

a) there does exist a drop-in replacement chip, in which case someone will no doubt help you find it for free. That's what forums are for, after all. Or:

b) there is no such replacement, in which case some reverse-engineering and further design work will be required. The finished article might be manufacturable cheaply in large quantities, but your $150 won't even begin to cover the cost of hiring a professional engineer do the necessary R&D. You're off by at least one order of magnitude, quite possibly two.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 11:12:58 pm »
Yah i understand that. I was just hopeful that someone with more knowledge then me would be able to just take a quick look at it and discern a functional solution. To be honest i'm not really sure how all this stuff works as I've never posted on a forum before asking for help since i'm usually able to figure stuff out myself. But your guidance is greatly appreciated it. If nothing else people just pointing me in the right direction as far as what i need to do and what it'll cost is helpful.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:16 pm »
Looks like a few of them are on eBay.   Your best bet may be to just buy a few for parts. 

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:49 am »
If you can put together a story board of how the camera works, a microprocessor solution may be possible.

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »
The CS IC prefix hints that this was made by Crystal Semiconductor (now Cirrus Logic) or Cherry Semiconductor (now ON Semicondutor). Your best bet to find a cross reference might be to find a data book for those companies and see if it lists the IC. The Crystal Semiconductor data books on archive.org are a dead end. Also looking at the two companies old sites on archive.org did not yield much data.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »
Based on the schematic I'd say that it's a custom ASIC (custom chip, with possibly no datasheet published ever, possibly with no direct replacement), used only for this camera (or similar models at most). What it does is probably not very complicated (my guess exposure control, flash/shutter timing, all with fixed constants), but it does it in a single chip integrated form.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:12:45 pm »
Since you're targeting $2 or less per chip: What sort of volume are you thinking of?

I highly doubt you'll find a drop-in replacement. The best solution is probably reverse-engineering the entire circuit and making a new board. You're not going to get that for less than $2/pop unless you're talking very high volumes. And it's not a $150 job by any means.

Offline louisdelooze

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:09 pm »
Long story short: I had the same problem with my camera, I made a new PCB (the same size as the original) with an AtMega328. Made an Arduino sketch with the same logic as the original one for the shutter speed and it's working!

Not everything is working perfectly (yet) i.e.:
- Viewfinder led, still in progress
- sketch is messy, sometimes shutter doesn't work and uses too much power
- no red led inside the film tray: not a big issue tbh

It took me a long time to make it work because this was my first full pcb project, and it worked from the first time!

Louis
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 04:22:52 pm by louisdelooze »

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 01:59:05 am »
This is incredible. This is the exact thing i've currently been working towards. if you wouldn't mind PMing me your email i would love to discuss this further as this is something i've been working relentlessly on and have had little to no success!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf