Author Topic: Electronics engineer required - Melbourne  (Read 3984 times)

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Electronics engineer required - Melbourne
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »
Hi all.

I am after another senior electronic hardware engineer for my team here in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. This is a permanent role in a successful company that designs equipment related to satellites. The successful applicant will be working on state-of-the-art new products. My team are all friendly, cooperative and dedicated to producing well designed products. Salary is depending upon experience, but it will be attractive. Working conditions are good. I am happy to pay for good people.

The wish list...

At least 5 years solid experience in Altium schematic capture.
Can do PCB layout on 8-layer boards and footprints.
Can write test plans and other professional documentation.
Can design analogue and high speed digital circuits.
DC-DC converter design and RF skills a big plus, especially >1GHz.
Has experience with electronics manufacturing, ie: Design for manufacturing and design for test.

Prefer the applicant to have at least a degree in electronics engineering or related discipline. You must be able to speak, read and write English fluently. Nationality, gender, religion, and age are irrelevant. You will need to work with peers, other teams and departments in a cooperative, friendly and positive manner. The environment is one where people get on well.

Please email me with your CV if you meet the above criteria and express an interest. If your CV seems to fit the bill, I will give you more information. The successful applicant will likely undergo two interviews, reference checks and an electronics knowledge test.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:06:58 am by VK3DRB »

• Super Contributor
Re: Electronics engineer required - Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:55 pm »
I have had no responses.

Am I asking for too much? Maybe "You must be able to speak, read and write English fluently" will put some engineers off. Melbourne is again rated the "World's Most Liveable City", so that cannot be the reason, except maybe to some Sydney residents.

If I mentioned the salary could be in excess of $100,000 per year, might that interest anyone? The job is also with headhunters, so I am not disturbed if no-one responds here. In the end, I want quality and I thought EEVBLOG might be a good source.

For those who read this, thank you for your interest.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:21 pm »
It can actually be a little difficult to find a great engineer for a job. Someone who is as competent as you describe likely already has a job, and they have to be within driving distance of the job offering company.

Finding that great engineer that happens to need the job just takes time.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:09 pm »
Agreed. I've tried, on and off, on a few occasions as well. Also in the SE suburbs. Experienced engineers are a dying breed, especially ones with skills in many
disciplines. Most poor bastids are tunneled into very narrow fields, and end up having to justify what they cost. I had a plan recently to try to round up 4+ small
electronics companies, into 1 large factory, sharing resources etc. It's coming along slow. Good luck.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »
The company I work for recently had a temporary job for some smd soldering work to help us clear the backlog. Ad stated 0603 components, manual soldering etc... and we had one bloke say "I'm good at welding", several others got through the phone interview, took one look at the board and said no.

The job seems awesome, however I would meet almost none of the requirements (and am happy doing what I do on the other side of the country). I hope you find someone that is awesome at their job and does wel.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:36:32 pm »
we had one bloke say "I'm good at welding", several others got through the phone interview, took one look at the board and said no.

Hah good one. The party trick of the boss from before the company split apart was to show a box of 1206 components and when they commented how small it is they shown them some 0805 components instead to impress them. Here i barely see a board that doesn't have a 0402 on it.

I do meet all of the above requirements and have a lab at home that is well equipped for that sort of design work. However i am on the opposite side of the world and already have a day job as a hardware engineer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:40 pm »
It can actually be a little difficult to find a great engineer for a job. Someone who is as competent as you describe likely already has a job, and they have to be within driving distance of the job offering company.

Finding that great engineer that happens to need the job just takes time.

You are right. It is difficult to find good engineers. A good engineer does not boast a big ego, is not eccentric, or does not have other psychological or social issues. Most "normal" electronics people have moved into other professions over time, so finding a good experienced hardware engineer is difficult. If anyone cannot work with others, no matter how "good" they might be at electronics, they need not apply.

If someone does not have the RF experience, that is OK. It is just a wish list.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:56:22 pm by VK3DRB »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:41:29 pm »
Not a hard list of requirements there, hope you find someone.

Offline sasa

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »
I have had no responses.

Perhaps you can add full portfolio of your company, web page, full address and telephone number. It is not at all always essential salary...

Or you may try another, official way to search qualified engineers. I doubt any good qualified unemployed EE waste time reading the forum, but rather use another available ways (contacts, official service, etc) to find suitable position, or it make his own company.

You will likely found here good retired EE (have no need for any job) and good engineers for other professions hangs here from time to time having this as a hobby...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:45:45 pm by sasa »
The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:28:08 pm »
We also used a professional recruitment agency. Professional means they treat the company (ie: their client) AND the applicants with respect, and they know about engineering. Most headhunters are nothing more than two bit salesmen who deal with applicants fairly poorly. Fortunately I am dealing with a great little recruitment agency that actually gets back to all the applicants and keeps me (the employer) informed.

They have found three excellent prospects with a few maybes. I may hire TWO engineers in any case. Cannot say any more here as it is confidential.

It appears EEVBLOG is not the best avenue to attract the best people for a job. Nor should it be. That is not its core business. Once all is done and dusted, I might publish the name of the recruitment agency I am using. They so far have been terrific.

Offline sanwal209

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 09:55:41 am »
Is it only for the people living in Australia or around the world?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf