Author Topic: Electronics Engineer UK - Closed  (Read 5000 times)

Online Alex NikitinTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Electronics Engineer UK - Closed
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:01:55 pm »
Looking for another EE to join my team of one. The company is located in Cheshire, UK, a part of a US corporation, a leader in its field. An opportunity to use and/or develop analogue electronics skills in the area of high voltages (DC and RF), very low currents and high stability instrumentation. Good basic analogue electronics knowledge is a bonus, though I am happy to teach that bit if required.

From the job description:

Position Requirements:
•   A degree in Electronic Engineering discipline with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
•   Proven experience of working in design/development projects.
•   Ability to multi-task, work alone and work under pressure along with strong communication skills (verbal, written).
•   Good electronic skills are essential, experience in any of the following an advantage.
   o   PIC microprocessors circuit design including embedded code.
   o   Experience of design with ADC’s and DAC’s.
   o   General power supply design.
   o   Cost engineering.
   o   Preparation of detailed design specifications.
   o   Knowledge of communication interfaces e.g. RS232, RS485, Ethernet, USB, I2C.
   o   Design and layout of multilayer PCBs.
   o   Experience of Mentor Graphics PADS and Easy PC an advantage.
•   Complete understanding of the engineering change process and adhering to ISO 9001 quality practices.
•   Familiarity with system design and complying with CE.
•   Familiarity with electronic test & measurement equipment and techniques.
•   Hands-on electronic skills, including soldering/de-soldering component level fault finding on densely populated SMT boards.
•   Some international travel may be required.
•   Vacuum technology – gauges, pumps, accessories, materials. (Desirable)
•   Instrumentation – system test and development. (Desirable)

I would like to add that if a candidate has a working soldering iron, a multimeter and ideally an oscilloscope at home, and especially if these get used on a regular basis, it is a bonus. 

If somebody is interested, please PM me.

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:21:57 pm by Alex Nikitin »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Electronics Engineer UK
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
Let me guess, not one reply?
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:58 pm »
Let me guess, not one reply?

One reply, but no continuation on it  :( . No luck with agencies either. Looks like people forgot what the soldering iron is - scares them away  :palm:. A good team, a very interesting job (IMHO that is), a decent salary. It is not easy to be the only EE in a place that needs at least two, possibly three... . 

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:06:29 pm by Alex Nikitin »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 05:04:08 pm »
It is not easy to be the only EE in a place that needs at least two, possibly three... . 
You mean the UK?  :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:15:32 pm »
The main problem is that pay for EEs has been bad traditionally so all the good ones are now consultants and the ones who can't tend to stick to their jobs.
Also 'being able to multitask' doesn't sound appealing because it usually means getting nothing done right.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:31:53 pm »
Not scared of a soldering iron, know how to use test gear, own plenty, fault finding to component level on SMD boards a speciality (find it fun actually), have written and maintained BS5750 and ISO process documentation in two different companies now, live in Cheshire, have proven design skills but they'd be outdated now and have no degree.

Shame, sounds fun but I'm also very comfortable where I am as too.

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:54:35 pm »
Well, unless I'll teach somebody there will be no one to take over after I'll retire  :(  . The stuff we make is not something you can learn about at a uni or from a book, it is a mixture of 1950s analogue technology and modern digital processing. The digital side is not a problem, we can even outsource it if required, it is the analogue side which is fairly special.

Cheers

Alex

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:41:47 pm »
The stuff we make is not something you can learn about at a uni or from a book,

Which is why you can't find anybody!

Well, unless I'll teach somebody there will be no one to take over after I'll retire  :(  .

You'd better start teaching us all about HV DC and RF then. :)
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:07:18 pm »
Which is why you can't find anybody!

I have very simple requirements *  ;) . It would be nice to find somebody who knows what Q of an inductor means, for example. Or can actually use Ohm's Law  :palm: .

Cheers

Alex

* I did not write that list above  ::) .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:27:49 pm by Alex Nikitin »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:24 pm »
Hi Alex, I'm guessing MKS Instruments in wich case it is a bit specialized, see I can use Google and a soldering iron and I know what the Q of an inductor is and I'm looking for work, but unfortunately not in Cheshire, bummer. I was getting a bit demoralized thinking that no one needs analogue engineers anymore but there are still quite a few companies that need good all round electronics engineers so the demand is still there. Agencies are expensive but what about job sites, they might be cheaper. Trade magazines like Electronics Weekly might be worth a shot but the audience might be small these days. Good luck I hope you find a suitable candidate.
Chris

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »
unfortunately not in Cheshire, bummer.

I've moved here from London for that job  ;) .

I was getting a bit demoralized thinking that no one needs analogue engineers anymore but there are still quite a few companies that need good all round electronics engineers so the demand is still there.

Oh, many companies need analogue engineers, but do not understand that need  :) . I see the results of that lack of understanding all the time  :palm:

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:59:00 pm by Alex Nikitin »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:36:49 pm »
Hi Alex, I'm guessing MKS Instruments in wich case it is a bit specialized, see I can use Google and a soldering iron and I know what the Q of an inductor is and I'm looking for work, but unfortunately not in Cheshire, bummer. I was getting a bit demoralized thinking that no one needs analogue engineers anymore but there are still quite a few companies that need good all round electronics engineers so the demand is still there. Agencies are expensive but what about job sites, they might be cheaper. Trade magazines like Electronics Weekly might be worth a shot but the audience might be small these days. Good luck I hope you find a suitable candidate.
Chris
Globally, analogue engineers are generally more sought after than digital engineers. There may be a lower demand for analogue engineers by numbers, but demand outstrips supply in most places. Its that demand vs supply ratio that really drives how good your personal job market might be.

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »
hi Alex

nice job. Iam ending my PhD next year. My field is actualy Aerial and industrial electronic systems - not exactly microelectronics (only at hobby level). Mainly focused on RF fields, antenna measurements, RF material and anechoic chambers. If you are interested and you think you will have open job next year, write me PM. I can tell you more about me and my work.

have a nice day

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »
hi Alex

nice job. Iam ending my PhD next year. My field is actualy Aerial and industrial electronic systems - not exactly microelectronics (only at hobby level). Mainly focused on RF fields, antenna measurements, RF material and anechoic chambers. If you are interested and you think you will have open job next year, write me PM. I can tell you more about me and my work.

have a nice day

Thank you, I hope that we'll manage to fill the vacancy before the New Year, but in case if it would be open still in a year time, I'll drop you a line.

Cheers

Alex

• Super Contributor
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:21:23 pm »
Thank you to all who did respond to my post, we have now several candidates short-listed. If the position will not be filled from that list, I might post here again.

Cheers

Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf