Author Topic: HIRING ELECTRONICS EXPERTS - WORK FROM HOME  (Read 22416 times)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: HIRING ELECTRONICS EXPERTS - WORK FROM HOME
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 08:18:18 am »
Well while we're on with angle grinders, does anyone have a preference for one that you can use to reprogram PROMs with...

Angle grinders are the best tool!
I use an angle grinder with an old masonry cutting disk (diamond dust impregnated steel) to trim the lawn edges along the street pavement out the front of my place. Cuts through the grass and dirt like a plasma torch through butter. Just have to be a little careful not to cut through the sidewalk too.
Would probably work very well for PROMs.

Next time I have some spare cash I'm going to buy a petrol powered angle grinder.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline WireEd

• "Resistance is Useless - Repeal Ohm's Law!!"
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:00 am »
Well while we're on with angle grinders, does anyone have a preference for one that you can use to reprogram PROMs with...

Angle grinders are the best tool!
I use an angle grinder with an old masonry cutting disk (diamond dust impregnated steel) to trim the lawn edges along the street pavement out the front of my place. Cuts through the grass and dirt like a plasma torch through butter. Just have to be a little careful not to cut through the sidewalk too.
Would probably work very well for PROMs.

Next time I have some spare cash I'm going to buy a petrol powered angle grinder.

I have a broken off chop saw. I could use that for sidewalk trimming.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 02:55:51 am »
this thread is now about angle grinders.

i am very happy with my milwakee 18v brushless angle grinder. it is quite a beast.

What surprises me about angle grinders is the price. 25 years ago I paid about $110 for a bosch 4" angle grinder.

It lasted nearly 20 years before I finally burnt it out. The gears sounded awful from all the brick dust and metal dust it had ingested over the years but it was the motor windings that finally let the smoke out.
I bought an equivalent quality grinder for the same price (~$110), I wonder if it will last 20 years.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 08:10:57 am »
What surprises me about angle grinders is the price. 25 years ago I paid about $110 for a bosch 4" angle grinder.

It lasted nearly 20 years before I finally burnt it out. The gears sounded awful from all the brick dust and metal dust it had ingested over the years but it was the motor windings that finally let the smoke out.
I bought an equivalent quality grinder for the same price (~$110), I wonder if it will last 20 years.

in todays dollars that would be $216 so you should compare it to a more expensive one.

Offline NMNeil

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:28 am »
Another Uber wanna-be, where the clients are not the people looking for real work.

Funny you should mention Uber  :-DD

https://techcrunch.com/2015/04/22/the-request-network/

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 03:18:15 am »
i find it hard to believe this company is behind facebook, twitter, etc if they are looking for EEEs. Those messaging and tech those common products use required computer science as they wouldnt be doing anything out of the ordinary like RF work as they do not have any RF products. Messaging makes use of networking, math and programming with APIs.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 04:40:02 am »
Looks like an ideal opportunity for all those redundant Radio Shack sales-droids.  Sounds like they are looking for tele-shills to flog the client's products to indecisive customers.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
Watch out for a free set of steak knives.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 08:50:39 am »
this thread is now about angle grinders.

i am very happy with my milwakee 18v brushless angle grinder. it is quite a beast.
I can't find my 18v Makita  |O
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 07:50:25 am »
Watch out for a free set of steak knives.

They can cut through a nail...and still slice a tomato! ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline NMNeil

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 03:03:06 pm »
i find it hard to believe this company is behind facebook, twitter, etc if they are looking for EEEs. Those messaging and tech those common products use required computer science as they wouldnt be doing anything out of the ordinary like RF work as they do not have any RF products. Messaging makes use of networking, math and programming with APIs.
From their web site:

Here’s how Operator works:

Operator’s homescreen is an outbox of your requests. To start a new one, you send an instant text message in Operator that you want a new pair of Rayban Club-Master sunglasses, a stuffed lion for a child’s bedroom, or most anything else. You can send photos too if that helps.

The request is routed to Operators with expertise on or an affiliation with the right product category, brand, or store. They will research the best thing to buy for you. Rather than computers, Operators are real humans, and you can see their name and face in the message thread.

The Operator messages you back with purchase options that you can give feedback on. You can tap in to check out a product in greater detail, with photos from multiple angles, description, and pricing.

Once the Operator shows you something that’s right, you hit the “I’ll take it” button and they buy it for you with your credit card on file.

Operator sends you receipts in-line, and has the product shipped to you as fast as you need it.

So the way I see it is that you send a text message saying what you are looking for, lets say an Atmega 328p.  Their software then connects you with a salesperson, possibly on another continent, who is an 'expert' in electronic parts. (This may be the actual job opportunity that's being advertised on the forum)
This 'expert' will then send you a list of possible vendors, sorted into an order of who pays the highest kickback to the company. You then press the buy button and they drain the money from your credit card, which they keep on file  >:D.
Now with your shopping habits, and how much you are prepared to pay for an item put into an nice database, and sold to anyone who can pay, expect your e-mail, regular mailbox and smartphone to fill up real fast with wonderful offers.
Sorry, it's early in the morning and my cynicism gene is working overtime.

The following users thanked this post: TheDane

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 03:14:18 pm »
I can wholeheartedly endorse Harbor Freight angle grinders.  Their "heavy duty" model which sells for about $20 on sale, not the cheap $12 one.   My first one failed after 15 years of very heavy duty cutting masonry, grinding welds and other nasty jobs.  The brushes finally gave out, and though it came with spare brushes, my mistreatment had welded the one brushholder compartment closed and I was unable to open it without ruining the tool.  I have two now, one with a grinding wheel and the other with a cut-off wheel.  More tool for less money than anything else I have ever had. 

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:53 am »
From their web site:

Here’s how Operator works:

Operator’s homescreen is an outbox of your requests. To start a new one, you send an instant text message in Operator that you want a new pair of Rayban Club-Master sunglasses, a stuffed lion for a child’s bedroom, or most anything else. You can send photos too if that helps.

The request is routed to Operators with expertise on or an affiliation with the right product category, brand, or store. They will research the best thing to buy for you. Rather than computers, Operators are real humans, and you can see their name and face in the message thread.

The Operator messages you back with purchase options that you can give feedback on. You can tap in to check out a product in greater detail, with photos from multiple angles, description, and pricing.

Once the Operator shows you something that’s right, you hit the “I’ll take it” button and they buy it for you with your credit card on file.

Operator sends you receipts in-line, and has the product shipped to you as fast as you need it.

So the way I see it is that you send a text message saying what you are looking for, lets say an Atmega 328p.  Their software then connects you with a salesperson, possibly on another continent, who is an 'expert' in electronic parts. (This may be the actual job opportunity that's being advertised on the forum)
This 'expert' will then send you a list of possible vendors, sorted into an order of who pays the highest kickback to the company. You then press the buy button and they drain the money from your credit card, which they keep on file  >:D.
Now with your shopping habits, and how much you are prepared to pay for an item put into an nice database, and sold to anyone who can pay, expect your e-mail, regular mailbox and smartphone to fill up real fast with wonderful offers.
Sorry, it's early in the morning and my cynicism gene is working overtime.

If thats what they do than thats an easy job, you dont need an EEE for this, you need someone who can hunt for people or things online.

Offline NMNeil

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:12 pm »

If thats what they do than thats an easy job, you dont need an EEE for this, you need someone who can hunt for people or things online.

Maybe not so easy. If you put in a search for, lets say a 4l60e forward sprag clutch, their software would identify this as a GM transmission part and forward your inquiry to someone who knew about GM transmissions. The 'expert' would not only sell you the part from an approved supplier, but just like most industries would up-sell you by offering a gasket set, etc.
It's a very good business model.

Offline paulcav

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »
To paraphrase from a well known movie:

"These are not the engineers you are looking for."

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

Maybe not so easy. If you put in a search for, lets say a 4l60e forward sprag clutch, their software would identify this as a GM transmission part and forward your inquiry to someone who knew about GM transmissions. The 'expert' would not only sell you the part from an approved supplier, but just like most industries would up-sell you by offering a gasket set, etc.
It's a very good business model.

It might be a good business model, and the reason I know is that the Chinese are already doing it.
At work I can contact a Chinese "product-hunter" either through Facebook or other social media, which will then go look for the item and quote a price/delivery/etc.
He/She usually has NO idea what it is about, but the person has good social skills and can go locate it. Works great!
Cost competitive - yeah, competitive towards $£€0,-

So, just as Uber threw away their business model - this line of work has no well paying future if you're not top boss crapping on others.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/01/517905730/after-video-of-fight-with-driver-uber-ceo-says-he-needs-to-grow-up
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:32:40 pm by TheDane »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf